Microsoft's New Game Content Usage Rules

Okay, I make a lot of clips and montages. I even bought Hauppauge HD PVR when we lost the ability to render clips.

The new game content usage rules pretty much shut us all down even if WE DO NOT make any money and DO NOT use it commercially.

How’s that? This is why: “In addition, your Items may not use the name of the Microsoft Game in their title. For example, we don’t object to “Red vs. Blue”. We don’t object to “Operation Chastity”. But we do object to “Halo [insert the title of your Item here]”. We want to make sure consumers don’t get confused.”

First, I’m not buying that anybody in their right minbd would confuse anything I made with something made by Microsoft.

That being said, how do you share your clips and montages and tag them and name them so that people can find them if you can’t use the dang name of the game in your title?

As of now the title “Funny fail in mission 1 Halo 4 campaign” is off limits - we can’t use it. “Funny fail in mission 1 of campaign” is acceptable, but that title can apply to every game out there so there’s no way to find just the ones about Halo.

What are we supposed to use? “Funny fail in mission 1 of the campaign in the game named after the circular thing angels have over their heads”? Seriously???

Even if you follow all the other rules, the prohibition against using the name of the game in your video clip or montage makes it useless to bother.

I haven’t seen any reference to a theater mode or the ability to pay for rendering in Halo 4. Now I know why. Who in their right mind would go to the trouble to make a clip, upload it to their file share, and then pay to have it rendered if they can’t use Halo in the clip title.

Insane.

If there is going to be the ability to upload and pay for rendering that rule will have to be changed. I don’t see anyone with half a brain cell in their skull wasting money to render clips they essentially can’t post anywhere.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com//yaf_postsm1516207_MS-Game-Content-Usage-Rules-Updated.aspx#post1516207

bs angel explained that you are still allowed to create Halo videos in this post, so you have nothing to worry about. If you would like to discuss the rule update, please use that thread.

Thanks!