Microsoft Bashes Bungie News Article

I don’t know why Microsoft are bashing them, they took the rights of Halo from Bungie trilogy wise, they would only be allowed to do ODST & Reach, direct Prequels of two of the games from the Trilogy.

First, Phil Spencer is not Microsoft himself. Second, Phil Spencer is not bashing Bungie, so please, change your title. I disagree with Spencer, though. I think Reach and ODST correctly displayed in the games - finally - that there was much more to this universe than Master Chief. It’s nice to play as him, but as long as you give me a good weapon and a bunch of Elites to kill, I don’t need Master Chief.

I didn’t see any bashing, I just saw him pointing out that Bungie started to focus on other things that people were interested in, such as the ODST and the battle of Reach.

I’m glad MS sees Reach wasn’t good. Halo 3 was where it was at as the last Halo game with MC. Halo 4 is sounding more and more like what I hoped for.

It still doesn’t give Microsoft a reason to go out and publically insult Bungie’s last Halo game. It’s like EMI saying Iron Maiden suck after they helped them for so long.

I loved ODST it probably had the best story out of all the Halo games so far. Reach fell a little flat int hat dpartment but it was nice to see other parts of the universe other than John 117. Serioulsy hes just a bland character. All he does is one liners. Its like he the Arnold Schwartzenegger of video games. I like chief its just he has no personality. Carter had more personality then him. ODST their characters had personality the Spartans need to be fleshed out more so that they are interesting. I agree however that Chief is the mascot for Halo but that doesnt mean we shouldn’t be able to play as other characters in the universe. Mainly the only time I see we play as chief is in the Halo titles that have a number behind them.

> I’m glad MS sees Reach wasn’t good. Halo 3 was where it was at as the last Halo game with MC. Halo 4 is sounding more and more like what I hoped for.

I think you’re misunderstanding. MS don’t see Reach as bad because of the game’s mechanics, they think it’s ‘bad’ because it didn’t appeal to the casuals that only think Halo is purely about MC. So, if you’re hoping Halo 4 will be made for the casuals then yes, it does sound like it’s what you’re hoping for.

> It still doesn’t give Microsoft a reason to go out and publically insult Bungie’s last Halo game. It’s like EMI saying Iron Maiden suck after they helped them for so long.

I agree with that 100%. Bungie did a wonderful job with the Halo games and Microsoft shouldn’t go around saying they screwed up. A lot of people actaullyt loved ODST. It didnt have Chief but people loved it because it had character. Also The Madien reference is awesome.

> > It still doesn’t give Microsoft a reason to go out and publically insult Bungie’s last Halo game. It’s like EMI saying Iron Maiden suck after they helped them for so long.
>
> I agree with that 100%. Bungie did a wonderful job with the Halo games and Microsoft shouldn’t go around saying they screwed up. A lot of people actaullyt loved ODST. It didnt have Chief but people loved it because it had character. Also The Madien reference is awesome.

Actually, it was a bad reference. Did anybody bother to actually read the article? I will reiterate:

-This is not an official Microsoft statement; this is a small interview with Phil Spencer, and in NO WAY is he stating Microsoft’s “official” stance on the last two Halo games. He is simply stating his own personal opinion. Again, this isn’t Microsoft; this is Spencer. The article incorrectly lists it as an official Microsoft statement, by the way. But it’s clearly not Spencer admitting Microsoft’s official stance.

-Spencer never said anything to publicly insult Reach. He simply said it wasn’t about Master Chief, and was pretty much just fan service, and it was just that. That’s not insulting. It’s truthful.

> > > It still doesn’t give Microsoft a reason to go out and publically insult Bungie’s last Halo game. It’s like EMI saying Iron Maiden suck after they helped them for so long.
> >
> > I agree with that 100%. Bungie did a wonderful job with the Halo games and Microsoft shouldn’t go around saying they screwed up. A lot of people actaullyt loved ODST. It didnt have Chief but people loved it because it had character. Also The Madien reference is awesome.
>
> Actually, it was a bad reference. Did anybody bother to actually read the article? I will reiterate:
>
> -This is not an official Microsoft statement; this is a small interview with Phil Spencer, and in NO WAY is he stating Microsoft’s “official” stance on the last two Halo games. He is simply stating his own personal opinion. Again, this isn’t Microsoft; this is Spencer. The article incorrectly lists it as an official Microsoft statement, by the way. But it’s clearly not Spencer admitting Microsoft’s official stance.
>
> -Spencer never said anything to publicly insult Reach. He simply said it wasn’t about Master Chief, and was pretty much just fan service, and it was just that. That’s not insulting. It’s truthful.

Well we’re all fans aren’t we?

That article can only mean good things for those like me who weren’t pleased with the direction Bungie took with Reach.

> > > It still doesn’t give Microsoft a reason to go out and publically insult Bungie’s last Halo game. It’s like EMI saying Iron Maiden suck after they helped them for so long.
> >
> > I agree with that 100%. Bungie did a wonderful job with the Halo games and Microsoft shouldn’t go around saying they screwed up. A lot of people actaullyt loved ODST. It didnt have Chief but people loved it because it had character. Also The Madien reference is awesome.
>
> Actually, it was a bad reference. Did anybody bother to actually read the article? I will reiterate:
>
> -This is not an official Microsoft statement; this is a small interview with Phil Spencer, and in NO WAY is he stating Microsoft’s “official” stance on the last two Halo games. He is simply stating his own personal opinion. Again, this isn’t Microsoft; this is Spencer. The article incorrectly lists it as an official Microsoft statement, by the way. But it’s clearly not Spencer admitting Microsoft’s official stance.
>
> -Spencer never said anything to publicly insult Reach. He simply said it wasn’t about Master Chief, and was pretty much just fan service, and it was just that. That’s not insulting. It’s truthful.

Except there are more stories to tell than just chief and he basically said that it was bad not tell stories about chief. You can Halo 4 fan service as well.

What the ‘yoink’ do they know. They’re only using Halo as a cash cow anyway.

Halo, the entire franchise, is so much more than MC and his fight on the ring worlds,
(Dont get me wrong, i love the Chief and adore the story behind him and his fellow Spartans)
Its about the fight for humanities survival, the flood, the Forunners… etc.

Ok, yeah the Chief started everything off. He is rightfully the ‘star’ of the series but it has evolved into so much more now.
To say that making ODST and Reach were a miss direction for Halo are idiotic statements.

That would be like saying the episodes 1,2 and 3 of star wars are taking the series out of context.

Haha, silly Microsoft.

Bungie without Microsoft owning their creative rights to their new IP = win.

The DLC must have totally tanked.

I’m sorry, but this Microsoft representative has no idea what he is talking about. He’s basically saying that Reach and ODST didn’t do well solely because Master Chief wasn’t the playable character. This isn’t the case. Halo fans love to explore different stories of the Halo Universe. It’s just a matter of those characters being built on properly and the game itself having a decent enough story to play through. In my opinion, Halo 3, Halo 3 ODST and Halo Reach didn’t have that. Excluding the character part from Halo 3 though, because Master Chief is awesome. The story of Halo 3 though, wasn’t too particularly awesome in my opinion.

And this thread is why I’m officially happy about this website, and why I can have faith in this community bringing real intelligent discussion to Halo and the Halo Universe as a whole.

Someone over on Bungie.net (Must like the Original Poster here) took the quote WAY out of context and is misleading viewers.

Here’s how the quote is being read by trolls/mindless bashers/original author of article/haters of Halo: Reach - “We kind of lost our way [with ODST and Reach] a little bit, I’ll say,” Microsoft officially stated.

Here’s how the article is MEANT to be read - “We kind of lost our way [with ODST and Reach] a little bit, I’ll say,” a Microsoft employee unofficially stated in his own opinion. “And that’s why I wanted to make sure that at the unveiling of Halo 4, you knew you were playing Master Chief, that John was back. Because Master Chief is the John Wayne character of that universe, and that’s who you want to play.”

Thank you, Halo Waypoint forums.

You have restored my faith in Halo fans.

Carry on, and I love all of you!

Inflammatory title is inflammatory.

They aren’t bashing Bungie, but from a corporate hot-air-bag’s perspective, Halo did lose momentum with ODST and Reach. I think ODST did well for an expansion, but I think he’s talking more about Reach. Reach didn’t fail in sales or with critics…But longevity went down the tubes.

Reach isn’t played anymore. Not on a large scale, anyway. It’s not popular. It’s not “cool”.

Reach went an entirely different direction and it didn’t work. Spencer is trying to tote Halo 4 as going back to what made Halo great: The Chief, Cortana, and an unknown forerunner mystery.

> I loved ODST it probably had the best story out of all the Halo games so far. Reach fell a little flat int hat dpartment but it was nice to see other parts of the universe other than John 117. Serioulsy hes just a bland character. All he does is one liners. Its like he the Arnold Schwartzenegger of video games. I like chief its just he has no personality. Carter had more personality then him. ODST their characters had personality the Spartans need to be fleshed out more so that they are interesting. I agree however that Chief is the mascot for Halo but that doesnt mean we shouldn’t be able to play as other characters in the universe. Mainly the only time I see we play as chief is in the Halo titles that have a number behind them.

well, they couldn’t portray reach much different, any one who has read the books knows that SPARTANs (including spartan IIIs) are trained to hide their true emotions. sure it shows through sometimes, but its subtle, not erratic.

@ time glitch: because of COD bandwagoners that can’t tell the difference between a map pack and a game, nor a casual shooter and a game for the more experienced.