Mic'd Up

Why doesn’t the halo community use their mics? I can’t find anyone who uses a mic? Only people in parties? Wt-Yoink-?!?!

Because you can get reported/banned for hurting someones feelings according to xbox live. So no one talks anymore…

Back in the day trash talk made the game.better. The win (or loss) was more amplified. It felt right.

> 2533274852319616;2:
> Because you can get reported/banned for hurting someones feelings according to xbox live. So no one talks anymore…
>
> Back in the day trash talk made the game.better. The win (or loss) was more amplified. It felt right.

I hear talking in cod ww2 all the time

> 2535412881067617;3:
> > 2533274852319616;2:
> > Because you can get reported/banned for hurting someones feelings according to xbox live. So no one talks anymore…
> >
> > Back in the day trash talk made the game.better. The win (or loss) was more amplified. It felt right.
>
> I hear talking in cod ww2 all the time

Halo community right now is basically little kids and older guys who defend them (white knights).

It’s a complicated issue. But it basically boils down to the Halo community itself.

There are a few that still do, but yeah, barely any mic users. It sucks that there’s no more proximity chat either, so you can’t trash talk the other team until the game. Chat is one of the things that took a huge step backwards Halo 5. The lack of proximity chat and the great social features of party chat might be why you don’t hear anyone in game chat.

Nobody uses their mics because nobody has anything useful to say. You either have little kids who are continually shouting at something in the background, or someone yelling about how much everyone sucks except him.

Also I’m almost always in a party with friends, even if we’re not playing the same game. I’d much rather talk to them.

I hate our community.

Some people don’t have mics in the first place, or their existing one broke (and might not feel like shelling some $$$ for another one), or they simply mute themselves to cut off any annoying sounds in the background.

As much as headsets are a bit of a necessity in today’s gaming scene - casual or competitive - they don’t have to be mandatory for some.

Don’t berate me for not using a mic. I have no interest in talking with random people. When I play Halo, I just want to chill and blow up some aliens, usually while listening to podcasts. You can go ahead and hate the community because of people like me, but understand that not everyone wants it to be a social experience.

> 2535412881067617;7:
> I hate our community.

I feel like that’s a pretty extreme statement to make just because people won’t talk to you while playing a video game.

If you have this kind of attitude in-game there might be a reason people don’t want to talk.

> 2533274852319616;2:
> Because you can get reported/banned for hurting someones feelings according to xbox live. So no one talks anymore…
>
> Back in the day trash talk made the game.better. The win (or loss) was more amplified. It felt right.

I love how people can see one position as extreme (banned for hurting someone’s feelings) while seeing the opposite extreme (trash talk) as completely normal and okay. Feeling right? Dude, if that’s what feels right to you then I pity the woman you marry and the children you have and anyone who ever has to work with you, talk to you, or be related to you. Go ahead, tell me it’s okay to treat people like garbage because internet is not real life. I love that one. It never gets old. Or true.

> 2533274873843883;11:
> > 2533274852319616;2:
> > Because you can get reported/banned for hurting someones feelings according to xbox live. So no one talks anymore…
> >
> > Back in the day trash talk made the game.better. The win (or loss) was more amplified. It felt right.
>
> I love how people can see one position as extreme (banned for hurting someone’s feelings) while seeing the opposite extreme (trash talk) as completely normal and okay. Feeling right? Dude, if that’s what feels right to you then I pity the woman you marry and the children you have and anyone who ever has to work with you, talk to you, or be related to you. Go ahead, tell me it’s okay to treat people like garbage because internet is not real life. I love that one. It never gets old. Or true.

It sounds extreme when no one talks anymore.

That’s where we are now.

> 2533274852319616;2:
>

trash talking is not against Xbox Lives Code Of Conduct, racist, homophobic ect… are.

I think mainly its because you cant talk in pregame lobbies so people who are playing with friends tend to stay in parties. It kid of ridiculous that you cant talk in pregame with your fireteam to be honest.

> 2533274852319616;12:
> > 2533274873843883;11:
> > > 2533274852319616;2:
> > > Because you can get reported/banned for hurting someones feelings according to xbox live. So no one talks anymore…
> > >
> > > Back in the day trash talk made the game.better. The win (or loss) was more amplified. It felt right.
> >
> > I love how people can see one position as extreme (banned for hurting someone’s feelings) while seeing the opposite extreme (trash talk) as completely normal and okay. Feeling right? Dude, if that’s what feels right to you then I pity the woman you marry and the children you have and anyone who ever has to work with you, talk to you, or be related to you. Go ahead, tell me it’s okay to treat people like garbage because internet is not real life. I love that one. It never gets old. Or true.
>
> It sounds extreme when no one talks anymore.
>
> That’s where we are now.

It was the trash talk that always sounded extreme to me. A lot people always claimed it was in fun, but if I don’t know you, if I’m not “in” on the joke, then I don’t know whether you’re being funny or serious. And life is too short to listen to that kind of crap regarless of whether it’s well- or ill-intended. And I have to imagine that the majority of players agree with that idea or otherwise we wouldn’t have a majority of players holed up in private chat or going without a mic at all.

I guess where I’m headed with all this is that you should be careful where exactly it is that you’re laying the blame for this problem. Especially when (and stop me if I’m putting words in your mouth here) it sounds as if what you’re missing is not the comradery or utility of good team communication, but rather a captive audience you can shock with a bad attitude. How does treating someone else like -yoink!- make the game better? I just don’t understand how that could possibly work. When did manners and common decency evaporate from the face of the earth? Oh, right. Internet.

It’s rare, but you do encounter mic users like last night I was in a game where people were calling out. Sadly, I’m not really a mic person unless I’m getting annoyed at my team for being terrible in Firefight. Oh look, we’re losing because no one’s calling in vehicles.

Most times though, the only mic users are ones where they left it on and you can hear the game blasting through the mic or it’s just background noise. The other day I heard some kid’s mom yelling at him for not getting off the game over the mic. “Don’t tell me to wait! I’ll unplug it right now.”

No one wants to get coms banned from hurt kids. I don’t know how many times my friends would get coms banned for one message that just says stop playing or something along the lines. It’s a little annoying tbh that was a fun part of it. The trash talking (to an extent)

• we have friends - we want piece and quite - I simply can’t hold my tongue if someone is being an idiot over the mic and already have to deal with what ever reports my brother gets while playing destiny and rainbow 6 and would rather not raise that number

I have a big list of people I play with and chat socially. We try to have fun and win but we have been relentlessly getting our buts kicked which is no fun. We used to win a majority of our games while having a good time but the mood lately has been changing. Nobody likes to lose all the time. It takes a toll. But I am glad I know some cool people. We never shame each other for bad play…I hate that and won’t play with anyone who calls out there own team. When your having a bad game and are at the bottom of the team you know it. You don’t need somebody to repeatly tell you. Had a guy ragging on me the other day and I went bonkers on him a and left the team. Not a guy I usually play with. There are people who are on mics. When I put a team team together I invite good players, always invite to party chat, if the don’t want to talk that’s fine, but a lot do and most are pretty cool.

> 2535412881067617;1:
> Why doesn’t the halo community use their mics? I can’t find anyone who uses a mic? Only people in parties? Wt-Yoink-?!?!

Look left. The first major clue is right there.

But there are a variety of reasons I only mic up in parties;

• I don’t really enjoy talking to children. I don’t have an issue with ‘squeakers’, but I don’t have a lot in common with people a third of my age. - People using racial or Anti-LGBT slurs do not deserve my mellifluous tones and I don’t want to associate with them. - People rapping/Singing into their mic. - People eating with there face an inch from their mic (though I’m pretty bad about drinking water) - People being yelled at by their parents or SO. Random background noises. Dogs barking. - People who complain about other people’s performance in game. - People who play music through their mic.So yeah. I’m only going to mic up when I have at least one person in my party who I can stand to speak too or I’m playing customs.

> 2535412881067617;7:
> I hate our community.

You could choose to exemplify the behavior you want in the community instead of acting like a petulant child. There isn’t a reason to downcast an entire group of people simply because you don’t like some of their actions. People have a lot of reasons for not wanting to mic up and you could always meet some people or join a company and party with people who want to chat the way you do. Also