MG Warthog combat is totally screwd

Just today, I played warthog for a long strain and ended up totally frustrated. It handles exactly like when Halo 4 was new. Its impossible to get 4 kills and above with a machinegun warthog even when supporting teammates in (random) match. This happend EVERYTIME. On closer analysis I found that its easier to nick the warthog with pp/pg/ic/rocket/fuelrod/ … any damn thing. The reason is not bcos of the maps. Its bcos of the utterly short reange and spread of the machine gun. The range is so bad that driver has to go near the opponent and risk getting massacred (u get the idea). Without gunner mod and/or wheelman mod or with it really makes no difference when near two/three opponents. Going so near I may as well splatter and get a kill/triple dead rather than nil/triple dead. This is actually a very optimistic attitude cos practically I mostly got pped or definitely pp+pged. Ive seen the same many times for opposing team and same team, in many matches (seriously).

Why so? Halo Reach, Halo 3, Halo Odst, Halo Wars Warthogs are fun to drive and with some skill, difficult to counter. It took some skill to sticky kill in those games. In Halo 4, it takes little to no skill, bcos of the range. All it give is a free double or triple kill.

IMHO Addressing this problem will make warthog mg combat so much better. Gunner mod will actually make sense for it. Plz 343 this should be done. This ought to be fixed.

I like how all the poll options are “I agree with OP”.

I don’t agree with you. At extreme range use short bursts to be effective, otherwise don’t go too close to enemies and maintain high speed to avoid getting emp’d or exploded.

The Halo 4 Warthog is no different from Halo 3’s. The problem is caused by Plasma Pistols, Plasma Grenades, and long-range rifles like the DMR in loadouts. Remove those from loadouts and the problem is solved.

Nothing is wrong with the Warthog.

the Fact that people can spawn with anti-tank weapons IS the problem. I can go on killing Frenzies in games without custom lodaouts.

The Warthog, especially post-patch, is a magnificent vehicle. As others have said, the issue lies with the ability to spawn with a Plasma Pistol and Plasma Grenades, or being able to call in a power weapon pretty much at any time due to personal ordnance.

I too quite dislike the poll options. I agree with none of them, so how can my opinion be shown?

OP,

It does appear that your poll is a tad biased. Based on some of the feedback in this thread, I went ahead and added a choice for those that that feel there is nothing wrong with the Warthog.

> OP,
>
> It does appear that your poll is a tad biased. Based on some of the feedback in this thread, I went ahead and added a choice for those that that feel there is nothing wrong with the Warthog.

I am actually convinced that the MG Warthog needs to be fixed, so I added options only for that. Considering its a poll, I didnt think I should have added an option for those who think otherwise. Thanks for adding it.

> > OP,
> >
> > It does appear that your poll is a tad biased. Based on some of the feedback in this thread, I went ahead and added a choice for those that that feel there is nothing wrong with the Warthog.
>
> I am actually convinced that the MG Warthog needs to be fixed, so I added options only for that. Considering its a poll, I didnt think I should have added an option for those who think otherwise. Thanks for adding it.

We’re all entitled to our opinion :slight_smile:

Just a note for future polls… we do lock polls that are biased. In this particular case it was just as easy to add an additional option to balance things out rather than lock down the entire thread.

> > > OP,
> > >
> > > It does appear that your poll is a tad biased. Based on some of the feedback in this thread, I went ahead and added a choice for those that that feel there is nothing wrong with the Warthog.
> >
> > I am actually convinced that the MG Warthog needs to be fixed, so I added options only for that. Considering its a poll, I didnt think I should have added an option for those who think otherwise. Thanks for adding it.
>
> We’re all entitled to our opinion :slight_smile:
>
> Just a note for future polls… we do lock polls that are biased. In this particular case it was just as easy to add an additional option to balance things out rather than lock down the entire thread.

A request, can u change the option to read ‘Not at all, thats unneeded’. IMO I think that is worded correctly as the poll option.

It is concise and same as the one you have added.

> > > > OP,
> > > >
> > > > It does appear that your poll is a tad biased. Based on some of the feedback in this thread, I went ahead and added a choice for those that that feel there is nothing wrong with the Warthog.
> > >
> > > I am actually convinced that the MG Warthog needs to be fixed, so I added options only for that. Considering its a poll, I didnt think I should have added an option for those who think otherwise. Thanks for adding it.
> >
> > We’re all entitled to our opinion :slight_smile:
> >
> > Just a note for future polls… we do lock polls that are biased. In this particular case it was just as easy to add an additional option to balance things out rather than lock down the entire thread.
>
> A request, can u change the option to read ‘Not at all, thats unneeded’. IMO I think that is worded correctly as the poll option.
>
> It is concise and same as the one you have added.

Thank you.

before the TU it was a flimsy and worthless vehicle but now it is much more reliable, I think it is just fine.

As some others have already pointed out it is simply the flood of power weapons, plasma pistols, and plasma grenades in each match. It makes any vehicle incredibly risky to get into, especially on our slightly less than vehicle friendly maps

After having played every Halo FPS in a row recently, I can say without a doubt that Halo 4s vehicles all were weak compared to previous versions. The warthog, ghost, and banshee all come to mind as paper armored pea shooting DMR target practice rather than devastating mobility and firepower.

The warthog needs a serious increase to accuracy, damage, and a reduction of the overheat. Real vehicle mounted gatling guns shoot much faster and more accurately then the warthog. Why would we downgrade so much in the future?

Some would say plasma pistol and plasma grenades make the warthog suck. They are partially right but loadout gear is a topic for another time. If the warthog wasn’t so terrible at mid range then it would help stop EMPers from getting close so easily. I used to always be in vehicles up until Halo 4 when every vehicle I loved became a burden to use.

Also the Rocket Hog is by far worse than the MG Hog. If I didn’t have to fire all the rockets in one salvo then it would actually be a nice in between for the MG Hog and Gauss Hog.

All of Halo 4’s vehicles are made out of paper mache for the most part, so I just don’t use 'em. All the other Halo’s vehicles, including the Warthog (aka “the Puma”) were way more fun to use however.

> After having played every Halo FPS in a row recently, I can say without a doubt that Halo 4s vehicles all were weak compared to previous versions. The warthog, ghost, and banshee all come to mind as paper armored pea shooting DMR target practice rather than devastating mobility and firepower.
>
> The warthog needs a serious increase to accuracy, damage, and a reduction of the overheat. Real vehicle mounted gatling guns shoot much faster and more accurately then the warthog. Why would we downgrade so much in the future?
>
> Some would say plasma pistol and plasma grenades make the warthog suck. They are partially right but loadout gear is a topic for another time. If the warthog wasn’t so terrible at mid range then it would help stop EMPers from getting close so easily. I used to always be in vehicles up until Halo 4 when every vehicle I loved became a burden to use.
>
> Also the Rocket Hog is by far worse than the MG Hog. If I didn’t have to fire all the rockets in one salvo then it would actually be a nice in between for the MG Hog and Gauss Hog.

Because unfortunately, 500 years in the future, we still have military downsizing and budget cuts.

> The Halo 4 Warthog is no different from Halo 3’s. The problem is caused by Plasma Pistols, Plasma Grenades, and long-range rifles like the DMR in loadouts. Remove those from loadouts and the problem is solved.

Actually when I was driving a warthog I got a guy some 20-30 kills…
But otherwise I agree with you there.

Vehicles in this game are easier to kill both because load out weapons and being they have their own health that is not tied to the players.

In H3 a warthog on fire could keep rockin the entire match with taking numerous amounts of hits…because it was tied to the players health/shield…it’s health would regenerate the moment a player hopped into it.

H4 once a vehicle reached that critical damage moment it stays that way until it goes boom. The vehicle health system is also why vehicles are weaker.

Edit: It’s about 04:50 here…so if any of this seems mixed up…I apologize.

> The Halo 4 Warthog is no different from Halo 3’s. The problem is caused by Plasma Pistols, Plasma Grenades, and long-range rifles like the DMR in loadouts. Remove those from loadouts and the problem is solved.

Actually, couldn’t the Gunner on Halo 3’s Warthog keep firing without the turret having to overheat?

> > The Halo 4 Warthog is no different from Halo 3’s. The problem is caused by Plasma Pistols, Plasma Grenades, and long-range rifles like the DMR in loadouts. Remove those from loadouts and the problem is solved.
>
> Actually, couldn’t the Gunner on Halo 3’s Warthog keep firing without the turret having to overheat?

Yes you are right…

Revisited Halo 3,Odst,Halo Wars. The range is roughly around 4 times the length of MG Warthog. So coming to Halo 4, Ragnarok I used the same measure … got fast kills. Switching to driving using the same measure I netted 7 kills including 1 mantis 1 aircraft. Only trouble was laser. That killed me everytime. Only quirk is that at that range firing is spread out. It takes a lot of time to earn a kill when MG Warthog is moving.
So the spread MUST be adjusted thereby correcting range.

Personally, I’ve never had an issue with chaingun hogs when playing Pro. You can rack up quite the kill count with them . . . so I would hate to see them buffed further. I just wish PPs and PGs weren’t loadout weapons in Infinity. Removing those from Infinity loadouts would (in my opinion) entirely solve the apparent weakness of the hog.

Dunno . . . maybe Infinity BTB and CTF could be modified to still allow everything else, but force frags for grenades and magnums for secondaries.