Mendicant Bias?

considering mendicant bias’ actions in the forerunner/flood war, and how it was handled after losing to offensive bias (being broken apart and shipped to different areas for study/interrogation)…wouldn’t it be possible that the shard that was installed on High Charity is not the only one, and perhaps…one of the few parts of its personality that were not rampant?

that shard of personality helped master chief after being reunited with another shard on installation 00, and was probably destroyed along with 04 and 00.

so, what i am asking comes down to, since there are multiple shards of mendicant bias’ personality…could there be other shards (possibly discovered in the past 4 years) that are still rampant, and could they be part of if not completely the ancient enemy?

Could be. It’s a good theory.

My question is what happened to the Dreadnought after Truth left Voi. No doubt, though, it was destroyed after the activation of Alpha Halo II.

Installation 07 was never destroyed. I think you might be referring to the replacement Installation 04.

> Could be. It’s a good theory.
>
> My question is what happened to the Dreadnought after Truth left Voi. No doubt, though, it was destroyed after the activation of Alpha Halo II.

> During the Battle of High Charity in October 2552, the UNSC AI Cortana fought Mendicant Bias to delay the launching of the dreadnought, allowing SPARTAN John-117 to board it and return to Earth.[8] In the proceeding events Mendicant Bias was carried through the Voi portal to Installation 00, where the missing shard was finally reunited with the part that resided in the Ark’s systems.

i got this from the halo wikia…and i remember it explaining something along these lines…

this doesn’t really answer your question…but at that point i would imagine that the dreadnaught was carried back with the truth and reconciliation…either that, or a faction could have commandeered that High Charity and escaped with the dreadnaught…idk it is 1:30 in the morning and i am rambling xD

i’ve literally spent the last 3 hours trying to think of what could be the ancient enemy, and everyone has said precursors or forerunners…but they leave out mendicant bias. probably because of part of his personality’s actions on both the High Charity and Installation 00…but i think that there is much more to mendicant than what we have seen.

> Installation 07 was never destroyed. I think you might be referring to the replacement Installation 04.

sorry, yes, it’s a typo and i’m tired, editing now thank you!

what is your opinion on my idea?

Well, I do think MB…huh. Menicant Bias. Master Builder.

Anyway, I do think a tricksy, nefarious AI would make a good antagonist (I’d point to Spark but he was never out to be evil. Umm. He was only doing his duty, but that’s precisely what Bias thought after being swayed by the Gravemind) but probably not the best. Rumour has it Faber (the Master Builder) died on Installation 07 after Bias’s assault on the Forerunner capital citadel, but until we get some solid confirmation on that, I think Faber, or one of his lieutenants, will be the main character antagonist of H4.

> > Installation 07 was never destroyed. I think you might be referring to the replacement Installation 04.
>
> sorry, yes, it’s a typo and i’m tired, editing now thank you!
>
> what is your opinion on my idea?

No problem :slight_smile:

I’m not really sure. I think that while the two fragments were reunited and then destroyed on the ark, they left something within Cortana when she interacted with the control system. The remaining shards are definitely important, it’s possible that different shards could have different goals and as such, be both allies and enemies.

> > > Installation 07 was never destroyed. I think you might be referring to the replacement Installation 04.
> >
> > sorry, yes, it’s a typo and i’m tired, editing now thank you!
> >
> > what is your opinion on my idea?
>
> No problem :slight_smile:
>
> I’m not really sure. I think that while the two fragments were reunited and then destroyed on the ark, they left something within Cortana when she interacted with the control system. The remaining shards are definitely important, it’s possible that different shards could have different goals and as such, be both allies and enemies.

yeah, i dont really know why this hasn’t been explored yet…as far as i have seen.

there is a lot going on with mendicant bias. even offensive bias…

like, what happened with offensive bias?

and your point on how the different shards could have different goals…whereas they play different parts in both enemy and ally, i think that could play a huge role in the new trilogy…if they explored it.

> Well, I do think MB…huh. Menicant Bias. Master Builder.
>
> Anyway, I do think a tricksy, nefarious AI would make a good antagonist (I’d point to Spark but he was never out to be evil. Umm. He was only doing his duty, but that’s precisely what Bias thought after being swayed by the Gravemind) but probably not the best. Rumour has it Faber (the Master Builder) died on Installation 07 after Bias’s assault on the Forerunner capital citadel, but until we get some solid confirmation on that, I think Faber, or one of his lieutenants, will be the main character antagonist of H4.

why would Faber be an antagonist though?

wait…is that the precursor that turned mendicant bias to the flood’s side?

> > Well, I do think MB…huh. Menicant Bias. Master Builder.
> >
> > Anyway, I do think a tricksy, nefarious AI would make a good antagonist (I’d point to Spark but he was never out to be evil. Umm. He was only doing his duty, but that’s precisely what Bias thought after being swayed by the Gravemind) but probably not the best. Rumour has it Faber (the Master Builder) died on Installation 07 after Bias’s assault on the Forerunner capital citadel, but until we get some solid confirmation on that, I think Faber, or one of his lieutenants, will be the main character antagonist of H4.
>
> why would Faber be an antagonist though?
>
> wait…is that the precursor that turned mendicant bias to the flood’s side?

Faber built the Halo rings. Faber hates mankind. Faber hates the Didact. Faber is a -Yoink-.

And no. That’s ‘The Timeless One’: a Gravemind composed of (a) Precursor body/bodies. Bornstellar-Didact killed it near the end of Primordium. With a damn cool death, I might add.

> > > Well, I do think MB…huh. Menicant Bias. Master Builder.
> > >
> > > Anyway, I do think a tricksy, nefarious AI would make a good antagonist (I’d point to Spark but he was never out to be evil. Umm. He was only doing his duty, but that’s precisely what Bias thought after being swayed by the Gravemind) but probably not the best. Rumour has it Faber (the Master Builder) died on Installation 07 after Bias’s assault on the Forerunner capital citadel, but until we get some solid confirmation on that, I think Faber, or one of his lieutenants, will be the main character antagonist of H4.
> >
> > why would Faber be an antagonist though?
> >
> > wait…is that the precursor that turned mendicant bias to the flood’s side?
>
> Faber built the Halo rings. Faber hates mankind. Faber hates the Didact. Faber is a -Yoink!-.
>
> And no. That’s ‘The Timeless One’: a Gravemind composed of (a) Precursor body/bodies. Bornstellar-Didact killed it near the end of Primordium. With a damn cool death, I might add.

hm…okay…then i wonder if the precursors could even come back into the fold.

when was it illustrated that Faber hates mankind? i got that he was ruthless, but his reasons for killing the Didact seemed to be legitimate for a personality such as his. he was withholding vital information.

have we gotten any inkling of precursors in the present? i have yet to see anything out of the novels that would leave the door open for them to return from “extinction”

also, what on earth was on the ship that crashed onto installation 04? did we ever find that out?

> hm…okay…then i wonder if the precursors could even come back into the fold.

It was never explicitly stated, at least not with much authority, that all the Precursors were killed or died.

> when was it illustrated that Faber hates mankind? i got that he was ruthless, but his reasons for killing the Didact seemed to be legitimate for a personality such as his. he was withholding vital information.

Well, I don’t remember the Didact withholding information, but it’s been months since I read Cryptum. As for humans, his treatment of Chakas and Riser… well, they were with the Didact, so I suppose that makes sense. Either way, he’s a -Yoink-.

> have we gotten any inkling of precursors in the present? i have yet to see anything out of the novels that would leave the door open for them to return from “extinction”
>
> also, what on earth was on the ship that crashed onto installation 04? did we ever find that out?

Theory suggests it was Flood-infected (note: not infested) and was sent by the Precursors to begin the outbreak of the Flood on Alpha Halo; presumably they didn’t know of the Covenant’s accident. Or did that happen later?

> > hm…okay…then i wonder if the precursors could even come back into the fold.
>
> It was never explicitly stated, at least not with much authority, that all the Precursors were killed or died.
>
>
>
> > when was it illustrated that Faber hates mankind? i got that he was ruthless, but his reasons for killing the Didact seemed to be legitimate for a personality such as his. he was withholding vital information.
>
> Well, I don’t remember the Didact withholding information, but it’s been months since I read Cryptum. As for humans, his treatment of Chakas and Riser… well, they were with the Didact, so I suppose that makes sense. Either way, he’s a -Yoink!-.
>
>
>
> > have we gotten any inkling of precursors in the present? i have yet to see anything out of the novels that would leave the door open for them to return from “extinction”
> >
> > also, what on earth was on the ship that crashed onto installation 04? did we ever find that out?
>
> Theory suggests it was Flood-infected (note: not infested) and was sent by the Precursors to begin the outbreak of the Flood on Alpha Halo; presumably they didn’t know of the Covenant’s accident. Or did that happen later?

your first point…it is true…only substantiated by the Primordial one.

second point, taken from halopedian:

> Following the end of the human-Forerunner wars, the Didact and a group of Prometheans gained access to the prisoner. It told the Didact that it was the last Precursor, and that the Forerunners had rebelled against the Precursors. The Didact revealed this information to no one with the exception of his wife, the Librarian.

also, it seems as though the ship (if we are to follow 343’s direction) crash-landed much later; after the installations were activated and before the events of halo:CE.

everything else in the terminals seemed sequential and took place either as a journal entry for 343 during those years of solitude, or his response to the authorized and unauthorized access of the covenant/humans on installation 04.

so…where did that ship come from? i think that is a question that will be (hopefully) answered in this trilogy…so many questions!!!

did i get anything in this previous part wrong? this is what i personally took out of it, and perspective is not always correct.

The Timeless One was supposedly lying when it said it was the last Precursor. Although, let’s be objective, we have no idea what either the Precursors nor a standard Gravemind look like; the former could look like some sort of giant scorpion, and the latter may not be limited to looking like a poorly-textured Snare from Kameo.

> The Timeless One was supposedly lying when it said it was the last Precursor. Although, let’s be objective, we have no idea what either the Precursors nor a standard Gravemind look like; the former could look like some sort of giant scorpion, and the latter may not be limited to looking like a poorly-textured Snare from Kameo.

yes, i believe the Timeless One was either lying, or (because graveminds seem to have an ego problem) just believed that precursors were no longer alive outside of its form.

if we take that it was lying about being the last precursor, though, we could substantiate that the premise of the Precursors was a lie as well.

i don’t believe that, but there is the possibility.

the idea, though, that the forerunners could exterminate the entirety of the precursors is baffling though…considering intergalactic travel is capable of being achieved by the flood, who were created by the precursors…so they could have theoretically moved to an extra-galactic location…

…also, hasn’t it been hinted that there is a “master ark?” i remember reading that somewhere…that could also play an important role in the trilogy, as the forerunners could still be there. OR the master ark is where offensive bias took mendicant for study…

Yes, there is a Master Ark, although I can’t remember how I know that… uh. CEA Terminals? Correspondance with Chakas at the end of Primordium?

Anyway, I don’t have any problem with the concept of one faction fighting against/ claiming victory over a technologically-superior enemy anywhere in canon, considering that is precisely the emotional and moral premise of Halo’s main plot; mankind fighting for survival against overwhelming odds. If John and the UNSC can do it, and they are the most technologically basic faction in canon, why can’t anyone else?

> Yes, there is a Master Ark, although I can’t remember how I know that… uh. CEA Terminals? Correspondance with Chakas at the end of Primordium?
>
> Anyway, I don’t have any problem with the concept of one faction fighting against/ claiming victory over a technologically-superior enemy anywhere in canon, considering that is precisely the emotional and moral premise of Halo’s main plot; mankind fighting for survival against overwhelming odds. If John and the UNSC can do it, and they are the most technologically basic faction in canon, why can’t anyone else?

but the idea that every amount of precursor was removed from existence just feels far-fetched…even the covenant still have rebellious groups floating around the galaxy.

and i believe it took place after the end of halo 3…i’m gonna look this up and link you…damn google…

> however after the Covenant-Human war a UNSC ship records a conversation with a Forerunner Monitor. Durign this conversation the Monitor he states that he was once a human named Chakas, who had surrived the Halo event, and that there were many Arks built. At the the end of the this conversation the Monitor then takes control of the Human ship and takes it to one of the Arks. It is presumed to be Master Ark where the Didact along with other Forerunners are at.

only place i could find it was in the halo wikia.

so yes, the Chakas conversation. do you remember much more from this? were humans on that ship?

Yes, there were humans on board. I assumed it was the Infinity, but I have no reason to think that. Although apparently the Infinity is on a secret mission of some sort, presumably before it arrives at Requiem, before the end of H4.

We could tie these strands together and suggest that Chakas Spark is in command of the Infinity at the end of Primordium, and is taking it to Requiem. Considering Mendicant Bias, in the final terminal of H3, said he was sending John back to his masters, this could very well be the case.

As for this nugget:

> takes it to one of the Arks. It is presumed to be Master Ark where the Didact along with other Forerunners are at.

Pure speculation. No grounding in canon.

ill just put this here… http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=33381763

also, compare the ship in terminal 5 to the one from the concept art and its the Greater ark, not the Master ark. The Lesser ark is where you were in halo 3. Time for school. gtg.

Good stuff from opog. Oldskool.