Melee system needs an overhaul

In this thread I’ll be highlighting the issues with Reach’s melee system, and what needs to be changed.

Armor Lock
Armor Lock is currently abused in CQC. The EMP+Melee combo is very hard to fight against and is usually a win for the Armor locker. I recommend removing from small gametypes, or removing the melee stun and require AL to be used for the full duration for the EMP to take effect.

Sprint/Evade
Sprint+double melee is a cheap, yet useful tactic. An easy way to prevent this would be:
Reduce melee to 75%
Increase time required to bring weapon up after sprinting. This would decrease Sprint+melee (especially with sword or hammer)'s power. With that toned down…

Melee blocks
Since my system nerfs sprint+evade and a CQC weapon, sword block should be taken out permanently. No argument there.

Discuss.

I miss Bleedthrough after playing with it for so many years. The current Melee system just feels unnatural to me and takes out a huge part of the fun at CQC. Why even have the AR, PR, and Repeater if a Sprint + Double Beatdown beats them every time?

A little fix would be nice.

My fix lessens the sprint+melee issue.

I don’t think they can bring bleed through back, I wish :confused:

Bring back melee bleedthrough, the game is too slow as it is now.

Sprint melee pummlers are friggin’ annoying.

> I miss Bleedthrough after playing with it for so many years. The current Melee system just feels unnatural to me and takes out a huge part of the fun at CQC. Why even have the AR, PR, and Repeater if a Sprint + Double Beatdown beats them every time?
>
> A little fix would be nice.

Yeah, it really feels unnatural to shoot until your opponents shields pop and then melee. I would like to see bleed trough return. AR rushes weren’t nearly as bad as double melees. It felt much more natural and fit to the flow of the game very well.

> > I miss Bleedthrough after playing with it for so many years. The current Melee system just feels unnatural to me and takes out a huge part of the fun at CQC. Why even have the AR, PR, and Repeater if a Sprint + Double Beatdown beats them every time?
> >
> > A little fix would be nice.
>
> Yeah, it really feels unnatural to shoot until your opponents shields pop and then melee. I would like to see bleed trough return. AR rushes weren’t nearly as bad as double melees. It felt much more natural and fit to the flow of the game very well.

They also could have fixed AR Rushing by increasing the amount of damage needed to be done before melee.

I agree with everything you’ve said, Sky. Melee needs an overhaul. Heck, I want Bleed-through back!

Even though no bleed through melees isn’t a good idea, Halo 3’s system wasn’t the best either. You could solve the sprint problem by making you pause if you get shot from the front while sprinting.

I agree with the removal of sword block. It is, after all, a power weapon. It’s not like we can smack rockets out of the air.

I think Sword Block should be harder no use, and rather than completely repelling it should take the non-sword wielder to no shields and half health, giving the advantage still to the sword person - only sword v sword should completely sword block.

I also think Plasma Pistoling a Jet Pack should deactivate it temporarily, and that bleed through should be implemented.

Appart from that, I believe nothing else needs changing.

(Appart of course, from the abuse of Objective gametypes due to only Slayer based Commendations.)

> I agree with the removal of sword block. It is, after all, a power weapon. It’s not like we can smack rockets out of the air.

PS - You can with the Gravity Hammer… with perfect timing.

No removal of Sword Block. You actually have a chance to fight back against a sword.

First Bleedtrhough had more double melees than it did now. If you were to have no shields against an enemy who has almost no shields if you were to melee, you would both die.

Also I agree with the 75% melee though.

> I also think Plasma Pistoling a Jet Pack should deactivate it temporarily

I like this idea.

I don’t have a problem with the melee system in general until I come across a bunch of sprinters.
If I get in three shots on a sprinter before he reaches me, I have ZERO advantage in a melee duel. A small amount of bleed through would help take care of instance where somebody is one shot from their shield popping still needing two melees to kill.

> I don’t have a problem with the melee system in general until I come across a bunch of sprinters.
> If I get in three shots on a sprinter before he reaches me, I have ZERO advantage in a melee duel. A small amount of bleed through would help take care of instance where somebody is one shot from their shield popping still needing two melees to kill.

That’s where my fix is awsome. Increase the time needed to draw your weapon out a perform actions, sprint+double melee will be harder to do.

Do you remember how in Halo 3 a single melee to a shielded Spartan would take the player down to about 20% shields? This was a fundamental aspect of Halo’s gameplay that worked and should not have been changed. As any seasonsoned BR expect can tell you, it made gameplay faster. How? Do you remember being able to pull off multi-kills close range with the BR? That was possible due to a single melee strike only bringing your shields down 75%. Now once a player melee’s you in Reach you are left with no shields giving you no chance to recover and take on another opponent.

I suggest bringing the melee back to incorporate melee bleed through, and have a single melee bring you down to 20% or 25% shields and another would kill you. This made for faster gameplay in Halo as a player would instead fight then run away from another encounter.

Agreed. No bleed through is awful.

Personally, the settings for the MLG playlist should be implemented into all of Match Making for the most part.

Yes, bleed-through needs to come back!

Melees should be 3-hit kills though.

Yes agree 100%

The current Melee system doesnt make any sense!