melee damage

Of late I have been wondering why is it that it’s a 3 magnum shot then a melee for the kill but a melee then only 1 shot for he kill. (same goes for the other weapons)
I get that it’s about breaking the shield but I still don’t fully understand.

any ideas?

cheers

Landing the minimum shots before a melee follow-up is a safer option to kill enemy players. Starting off with a melee is riskier and requires you to get very close and get the jump on your opponents first.

EDIT: If you plan to surprise them outta nowhere, you’re better off doing a Beat Down or an assassination though.

> 2535429593088083;2:
> Landing the minimum shots before a melee follow-up is a safer option to kill enemy players. Starting off with a melee is riskier and requires you to get very close and get the jump on your opponents first.

That’s not the question. the question is about 3 shots then a beat down vs beat down and then only 1 shot. Why?

> 2535417554135962;3:
> > 2535429593088083;2:
> > Landing the minimum shots before a melee follow-up is a safer option to kill enemy players. Starting off with a melee is riskier and requires you to get very close and get the jump on your opponents first.
>
> That’s not the question. the question is about 3 shots then a beat down vs beat down and then only 1 shot. Why?

He just gave you your answer from a gameplay perspective. Unless you’re referring to why we aren’t punching somebody, and then proceeding to shoot them in the head 3 times.

> 2533274800168045;4:
> > 2535417554135962;3:
> > > 2535429593088083;2:
> > > Landing the minimum shots before a melee follow-up is a safer option to kill enemy players. Starting off with a melee is riskier and requires you to get very close and get the jump on your opponents first.
> >
> > That’s not the question. the question is about 3 shots then a beat down vs beat down and then only 1 shot. Why?
>
> He just gave you your answer from a gameplay perspective. Unless you’re referring to why we aren’t punching somebody, and then proceeding to shoot them in the head 3 times.

Unless you’re referring to why we aren’t punching somebody, and then proceeding to shoot them in the head 3 times. - Yes. I am referring to the damage done. why does the damage of 3 shots before the melee equate to the same damage as 1 shot after the melee???

> 2535417554135962;5:
> > 2533274800168045;4:
> > > 2535417554135962;3:
> > > > 2535429593088083;2:
> > > > Landing the minimum shots before a melee follow-up is a safer option to kill enemy players. Starting off with a melee is riskier and requires you to get very close and get the jump on your opponents first.
> > >
> > > That’s not the question. the question is about 3 shots then a beat down vs beat down and then only 1 shot. Why?
> >
> > He just gave you your answer from a gameplay perspective. Unless you’re referring to why we aren’t punching somebody, and then proceeding to shoot them in the head 3 times.
>
> Unless you’re referring to why we aren’t punching somebody, and then proceeding to shoot them in the head 3 times. - Yes. I am referring to the damage done. why does the damage of 3 shots before the melee equate to the same damage as 1 shot after the melee???

Take the damage parameters into play. You already shot somebody 3 times with the magnum, bringing them down about 75% of the shield strength. Now throw the melee damage towards that, which is strong enough to break the shields before even taking shots, so the rest of the melee damage you deal goes towards the health bar, which is very weak compared to your shield bar.

Now lets reverse it. Melee somebody once, you broke their shields. All they have is the weak health bar, no shield strength. With just the health bar to go off of, you can take a few body shots, but head shots do critical damage.

Because it’s easier to shoot first from distance then go in for melee than it is to melee first and hit a headshot after. Balancing purposes I imagine.

If your question is simply asking “3 shots + melee vs. melee + headshot; which one is better?”, I’ve already given you my answer earlier. But if that somehow still doesn’t make sense and we’re going Mythbusters and focusing on the damage output, it could be said that a Spartan’s punch onto someone’s shielding delivers the same amount of force as three Magnum rounds combined fired at a Spartan’s shielding (but at that point, the logic of it all would make it more complicated).

Being a normal player and not a scientist, I don’t wanna trudge into that territory.

Take this for example:

Spartan Shields = 100 points
Spartan Health = 60 points

Melee Damage = 100 points of damage
Magnum Bullet = 25 points of damage

3 shots then melee = 20 points(x3) + 100 points
= 160 points
= Death

Melee and then 1 shot = 100 points + (CRIT for headshot)
= Death

The whole reason is because once you lose Shields, ANY headshot-capable weapon will kill you in 1 hit if it’s a headshot that hits you. Since a melee will immediately drop your Shields, 1 headshot will kill you. Body damage is different than headshot damage when it comes to affecting your Spartan Health, not Shields (with few exceptions like sniper rifles).

You have to either deal equal or more damage than total health to kill, or enough to drop a shield and land a headshot. Non-headshot capable weapons can deal more damage for headshots, as 343 turned the AR into this in a recent update by giving it massive damage output on a Spartans health when it’s a headshot.

This is why 3 shots + 1 melee = 1 melee + 1 shot in terms of them both resulting in kills, albeit it’s because Shields vs health makes the difference because you don’t get critical damage for headshot weapons on shielded opponents.

If you ignore the headshot part and only do body shots then its the same either way.

> 2533274793640702;7:
> Because it’s easier to shoot first from distance then go in for melee than it is to melee first and hit a headshot after. Balancing purposes I imagine.

Exactly my thoughts. If you were to go in for a melee first, chances are the person is gonna move and you are gonna have to reset in an attempt to land some headshots. It wouldn’t make sense to melee first.