Media bias against Halo 5 and the Xbox

So I’ve heard people on the internet and more specifically on youtube talking about the media being biased against the Xbox one and Halo 5. Typically though, the only people on youtube complaining are Xbox fanbipoy channels that I shall not name as I don’t want to hurt anyone’s reputation. The short answer is no. The media is not biased against the Xbox or Halo 5. For example, gameinformer did an entire month just hyping up Halo 5 in June. GameSpot and IGN (usually) only report facts. And there hasn’t been much bad news coming out about PlayStation or uncharted. Well, there hasn’t been any news about PlayStation at all. All of the media is focused on Xbox and Halo 5 due to gamesom. While there will always be that one kotaku writer or ign editor that may be biased, the media as a whole is not. The media has hyped up warzone and Halo 5s return to arena gameplay. So no, the media is not biased. The media is fine. Really this arguement just stems from Xbox fanboy youtubers complaining that some website reported one bad thing about Xbox or Halo.

So you asked a question in your title, and then proceeded to answer your own question? Why was this thread needed? Was this even a topic of discussion elsewhere in the forums where people were unsure?

> 2661949065475413;2:
> So you asked a question in your title, and then proceeded to answer your own question? Why was this thread needed? Was this even a topic of discussion elsewhere in the forums where people were unsure?

I’ve seen this on YouTube, the forums, and the internet at large. Also, why do I see you on every one of my posts complaining about me?

Hi my name is Thorolf, I have a problem - I read youtube comments.

The things I’ve seen…

Also those articles themselves are usually balanced and fair, but they are more than a little bit designed to stir up the comments. It’s the comments that really get to me. If only because I think of all the people who havn’t played halo or who are on the fence and go into the comments just to see the top liked comment (facebook this time) is “Call of Halo Duty Field”.

Yes. Negative news earns clicks which earns money. Anything negative including the Xbox, makes money for the journalists.

I’m confused lol

Solution: avoid these media sites. Gaming journalism in itself is a joke. Kotaku is basically a blog hub, IGN is IGN, and Polygon never has anything good to say. Most “gaming journalists” take themselves WAY too seriously. The only people who actually put research into their stories when reporting are Funhaus for The Know. No, they aren’t professional but they are funny and poke fun at complainers. They report news pretty well but have fun while doing it. Most “game journalists” are extremely biased and make their articles based off of their opinions.

I saw some guy in ign comments genuinely believe that IGN posts articles about Halo 5’s splitscreen because “the majority of the fans are outraged with this decision” and “ign wouldn’t make articles on it if it were a minority”.

…facepalm

There is no burgeoning agenda against Halo or Xbox. Some thread on here was accusing IGN of this behavior despite all of the positive articles about MS and Halo (especially after Gamescom). People just like to home in on negative crap all the time.

The bias against the xb1 is warranted. It’s a crap console compared to the PS4 in most ways. Really the only thing going for it is Halo.

That being said, gaming “journalism” doesn’t deserve the title. It’s a bunch of execs putting wads of cash into each other’s pockets under a table to get good reviews. Don’t pay up, get a realistic rating. Be a AAA publisher, get a guaranteed 9/10. I have completely disregarded every single “professional” review for games in the last 5 or so years because of it. I go with user reviews, same as I do for movies.

> 2533274795233660;5:
> Yes. Negative news earns clicks which earns money. Anything negative including the Xbox, makes money for the journalists.

There’s also the circle-jerking that negative news brings regarding concern trolls and bashing.

E.G. Neogaf. The negative news gets FAR more replies than positive.

The PS4 is on paper the better console in basically every way, but it doesn’t have all our friends or exclusives from the last generation of consoles which is what set it apart from me. My friends weren’t all moving to playstation, most were moving to pc if they moved at all. I’m lucky enough to partake in xbox and a lil pc gaming on the side. It’s not biased to say playstation has the better console. The hardware is outselling xbox by a lot and it has better specs. The third party games generally look better their now unlike lastgen and they have a great lineup of first party software. I bought my console for Halo, mainly. I definitely play other games like Battlefield from time to time, but Halo was the reason I stayed. The moment we see good Halo fps ports on pc I’ll begin my full transition there as pc’s can give you the best all around gaming experience. A game like counterstrike can live for decades there and not really feel stale, but on consoles where CoD is the main competitive shooter it only has a lifespan of one year which, imo, is a bad thing. My friends love to mod, pc will always do that better than xbox. Windows 10 has some cross play and cross chat xbox features which are impressive. I can use xbox party chat and play steam games on one system that’s pretty great. Back on topic xbox will be the better console if they keep on with their backwards compatibility featues, crossplay features, mod features and if they keep the best deals on xbox for games and/or console bundles. We are at a point now where graphics are becoming a little less relevant in the overall experience so as long as xbox isn’t so far behind in terms of visuals that little bit of technical advantage the ps4 has will begin to dwindle.

> 2533274795233660;5:
> Yes. Negative news earns clicks which earns money. Anything negative including the Xbox, makes money for the journalists.

You are focusing on a sliver of truth and treating it as if it is a whole undeniable fact.

If the media wasn’t overhyping everything about 90% of the time, game/console sales wouldn’t be good enough to legitimize that very same media’s existence. If the video-game media is solely fixated on attracting clicks for ad revenue, then feel free to explain to me and everyone else why and how it is that IGN is invited to 343 studios to do walkthroughs in the months leading up to Halo game releases. If they’re such a money-sucking parasite, one would think they wouldn’t be such a welcome guest in virtually every single major game development studio across the world. There’s a nice bit of truth to what you’re saying, DSight, but I’m afraid you’re stuck with the devil whose resting place is in the details. Try to look at the big picture here, because it’s not very difficult to see and know what IGN (and practically any big-time media outlet) actually is.

> 2533274946634226;13:
> > 2533274795233660;5:
> > Yes. Negative news earns clicks which earns money. Anything negative including the Xbox, makes money for the journalists.
>
>
> You are focusing on a sliver of truth and treating it as if it is a whole undeniable fact.
>
> If the media wasn’t overhyping everything about 90% of the time, game/console sales wouldn’t be good enough to legitimize that very same media’s existence. If the video-game media is solely fixated on attracting clicks for ad revenue, then feel free to explain to me and everyone else why and how it is that IGN is invited to 343 studios to do walkthroughs in the months leading up to Halo game releases. If they’re such a money-sucking parasite, one would think they wouldn’t be such a welcome guest in virtually every single major game development studio across the world. There’s a nice bit of truth to what you’re saying, DSight, but I’m afraid you’re stuck with the devil whose resting place is in the details. Try to look at the big picture here, because it’s not very difficult to see and know what IGN (and practically any big-time media outlet) actually is.

Unfortunately both the video game industry and video game journalism need each other to promote and make money. They do both through positive over-hyping articles and downright click bait articles. The industry needs them to write reviews and previews and splash advertisements on their site and the journalism industry needs to create as many clicks as possible.

Go look at IGN right now and click on an article and look at all the click bait titles at the right hand side. Back in 2013 when the disaster of the Xbox One reveal, did any journalism outlet post hopeful positive articles? No they capitalized on the disaster in the worst way to get as many clicks as possible. It’s practically a science that bad news is good news. People love negative, disaster, gossip, bad news and they’ll click on it to find out the juicy news. That’s why Kotaku made TWO articles, one that praised Quantum Break and then 5 days later an article that slammed Quantum Break, all by the same author.

Read “Trust me, I’m lying!”, it’s a wonderful novel and true story about a media manipulator and how much of the news is either made up or not sourced or heavily fabricated just to get a story out the door to get as many clicks as possible.

> 2533274913936758;10:
> The bias against the xb1 is warranted. It’s a crap console compared to the PS4 in most ways. Really the only thing going for it is Halo.
>
> That being said, gaming “journalism” doesn’t deserve the title. It’s a bunch of execs putting wads of cash into each other’s pockets under a table to get good reviews. Don’t pay up, get a realistic rating. Be a AAA publisher, get a guaranteed 9/10. I have completely disregarded every single “professional” review for games in the last 5 or so years because of it. I go with user reviews, same as I do for movies.

Right…

Seeing as you pretty much hate Halo 5 anyway, what is the point of you owning an Xbox One?

> 2533274848599184;15:
> > 2533274913936758;10:
> > The bias against the xb1 is warranted. It’s a crap console compared to the PS4 in most ways. Really the only thing going for it is Halo.
> >
> > That being said, gaming “journalism” doesn’t deserve the title. It’s a bunch of execs putting wads of cash into each other’s pockets under a table to get good reviews. Don’t pay up, get a realistic rating. Be a AAA publisher, get a guaranteed 9/10. I have completely disregarded every single “professional” review for games in the last 5 or so years because of it. I go with user reviews, same as I do for movies.
>
>
> Right…
>
> Seeing as you pretty much hate Halo 5 anyway, what is the point of you owning an Xbox One?

Because there are other games for the Xbox One…?

Look, I’m not too thrilled about Halo 5 either. Despite that, I still have a fair incentive to own an Xbox One being the large foundation I’ve already built up from my experiences with the Xbox 360. Sure, those experiences started with Halo but they sure don’t have to end with Halo. I know that sounds unfortunate, but that’s the reality of it at this point in time. Of course, that’s just my own personal agenda that some people can relate to while other people can’t.

With that being said, I’m proud to say that I’m much more excited for Halo Wars 2 than Halo 5.

> 2533274818135269;16:
> > 2533274848599184;15:
> > > 2533274913936758;10:
> > > The bias against the xb1 is warranted. It’s a crap console compared to the PS4 in most ways. Really the only thing going for it is Halo.
> > >
> > > That being said, gaming “journalism” doesn’t deserve the title. It’s a bunch of execs putting wads of cash into each other’s pockets under a table to get good reviews. Don’t pay up, get a realistic rating. Be a AAA publisher, get a guaranteed 9/10. I have completely disregarded every single “professional” review for games in the last 5 or so years because of it. I go with user reviews, same as I do for movies.
> >
> >
> > Right…
> >
> > Seeing as you pretty much hate Halo 5 anyway, what is the point of you owning an Xbox One?
>
>
> Because there are other games for the Xbox One…?
>
> Look, I’m not too thrilled about Halo 5 either. Despite that, I still have a fair incentive to own an Xbox One being the large foundation I’ve already built up from my experiences with the Xbox 360. Sure, those experiences started with Halo but they sure don’t have to end with Halo. I know that sounds unfortunate, but that’s the reality of it at this point in time. Of course, that’s just my own personal agenda that some people can relate to while other people can’t.
>
> With that being said, I’m proud to say that I’m much more excited for Halo Wars 2 than Halo 5.

I don’t think you’ve seen a majority of The Light Returns’ posts. If you did, you would have a better understanding where harithavaraj is coming from. There are quite a few users on these forums who completely hate everything Microsoft and the Xbox One is doing, or they hate Halo 5 and are not getting it or don’t even HAVE an Xbox One, yet they’re weighing in and trying to get their feedback recognized so things will change in the products they don’t own and are not planning on owning.

What’s the point?

> 2533274818135269;16:
> > 2533274848599184;15:
> > > 2533274913936758;10:
> > > The bias against the xb1 is warranted. It’s a crap console compared to the PS4 in most ways. Really the only thing going for it is Halo.
> > >
> > > That being said, gaming “journalism” doesn’t deserve the title. It’s a bunch of execs putting wads of cash into each other’s pockets under a table to get good reviews. Don’t pay up, get a realistic rating. Be a AAA publisher, get a guaranteed 9/10. I have completely disregarded every single “professional” review for games in the last 5 or so years because of it. I go with user reviews, same as I do for movies.
> >
> >
> > Right…
> >
> > Seeing as you pretty much hate Halo 5 anyway, what is the point of you owning an Xbox One?
>
>
> Because there are other games for the Xbox One…?
>
> Look, I’m not too thrilled about Halo 5 either. Despite that, I still have a fair incentive to own an Xbox One being the large foundation I’ve already built up from my experiences with the Xbox 360. Sure, those experiences started with Halo but they sure don’t have to end with Halo. I know that sounds unfortunate, but that’s the reality of it at this point in time. Of course, that’s just my own personal agenda that some people can relate to while other people can’t.
>
> With that being said, I’m proud to say that I’m much more excited for Halo Wars 2 than Halo 5.

I wouldn’t go so far as Light to say the Xbone is a crap console, but it does have much to be improves. The new windows ten stuff is fantastic. We just need the new Dash Update and Backwards Compatibility. Then work on some of the missing things that the 360 and PS4 does, and improving things we have like recording, streaming and party chat.

There isn’t a media bias. Gaming journalists just love to focus on the negative parts of anything, not just Halo or Xbox. The more controversy they stir up, the more hits their page has and the bigger their paycheque. That’s why the gaming community always looks so bleak: because people buy into what the journalists say and regurgitate it mindlessly.

They say living well is the best revenge, so on Oct 27th let’s give 'em hell by enjoying some Halo.

Also, some people identify themselves by what they hate. If that doesn’t sound healthy it’s because it isn’t.