Maybe people take quitting too serious. Solutions.

The other day I was playing BTB and almost half the team quit, and we still won. Now yeah sometimes it causes a team to lose. But it doesn’t bother me too much. I would rather have a person quit sporadically than have hefty bans. Most of the time it’s someone that isn’t contributing that much anyway. I try not to ever quit myself. But I won’t say that I never do.

I have solutions that probably couldn’t be introduced in Halo 5 but maybe 6.

Solution 1
Maybe one day Halo will have bots/Spartan AI that can replace someone that quits. That would be awesome. And to make it fair they could have different level computer controlled Spartans that would be substituted in based on the rank of the person that quit. For example a high ranked player would be replaced by a legendary difficulty Spartan. It would take a lot of fine tuning. I mean a lot of tuning. And it probably would still make people mad. But maybe it would work.

Solution 2
Maybe Halo could adopt a system like Forza’s drivatar. Basically as you play Halo online the game takes metrics of how you play. For example are you aggressive, conservative, use the BR, use the needler, have a high KDA, or a low one. Then if someone quits the game would fill in with a Spartan based on their Spartanatar. (Ok maybe it would need a better name)

Solution 3
Simply positive reinforcement. People don’t respond well to being punished. Especially when they paid money for a game. And don’t tell me anything about entitlement. There wouldn’t be a Halo if people didn’t put up money. Someone that quits has contributed to keeping Halo thriving financially as much as someone that doesn’t quit. Just have some type of really strong incentive that makes people not want to quit. It just has to be something that won’t break the rewards for the system setup to reward winners. Of course now this solution isn’t going to work 100%.

Feel free to comment on my ideas or suggest your own. I’m sure some of you will be mad at my suggesting that there shouldn’t be bans for quitting. But I’m not trying to enrage anyone. I’m just trying to come up with a positive intelligent solution. And to be honest it’s just a game. So I don’t take it serious when someone quits. Sometimes it sucks. Sometimes I still win. I just keep going.

Ayyy! Finally someone else who thinks people take quitting too seriously! It’s a video game people… not life/death
To OP: I like solution 1 & 2, but I’d say ‘probably not’ to solution 3.

All three are interesting ideas that could be tested easily- designing and developing them would be a pain in the -Yoink- though. I have to agree with above, solution 3 probably wouldn’t really change anything

Solution # 1 wouldn’t work because the current ranking system does not provide an accurate basis for skill.

This is most of the quitting problem itself.

Because of the way the ranking system works, people are ranked inaccurately and often face very one-sided matches. That’s no fun. Who wants to get crushed non-stop by their opponents? Why stay in a game when you are doing horrendously? Players don’t want their personal stats to go down the tube, so they quit.

Not having a mixed-party differentiation in matchmaking (matching same size parties, or partial party against partial party) makes this even worse as an arranged party carries a huge advantage over a team of random players.

What makes this even worse is the complete lack of social arena type playlists.

Fix these shortcomings, and the high quitting rate will slow right down.

Solution 1:
Make sure you play every game with a maxed ping of 50. Each and every player. No Lag = 90% of all the quits are eliminated.
Edit: SHOW the player each and every player in the match has the same condition. A clear ping indicator eliminates the “yeah, killed again by host”. No way he would beat with equal conditions".
Solution 2:
Let people search for Gametypes and Maps. Let people run/rent own servers near by them and customize their games.
Solution 3:
Either skip the Matchmaking and Trueskill System at all or make sure it really works. Actually you just have to match guys with identical KDAs. Not that hard…
Solution 4:
Eliminate ranks.
Actually all it needs is the PC system of the past 20 years. CS, Quake 3, UT… no problems with quitting. People were playing for fun.
As long as i have to play on US Servers against a Team of 3 or 4 i quit the hell outta it. I quit as long as i get a game i can enjoy. Thats what i paid for. I don’t give a -Yoink- about the experience of anybody else… not online. I care about people in real life :wink:

> 2533274954997146;2:
> Ayyy! Finally someone else who thinks people take quitting too seriously! It’s a video game people… not life/death
> To OP: I like solution 1 & 2, but I’d say ‘probably not’ to solution 3.

I agree. Thank you. The world isn’t perfect. People quit on jobs, relationships, etc. This is a game. Not a tournament for money.

Quitting isn’t to terrible unless it’s in breakout, from my opinion at least

Here’s a solution: Social playlist that doesn’t record K/D

First thing i thought when i saw “We’re going to BAN YOU if you dare quit!” was, Is this a video game or professional sports league like NFL NHL MLB MLG etc? Am i being paid real money for this? No? Then why does quitting matter so much?

Only in Halo do i see people take quitting at such a serious level.

> 2533274868530044;9:
> Only in Halo do i see people take quitting at such a serious level.

It’s a bigger deal in a game like Halo (compared to CoD) because of the higher TTK’s and the smaller teams (4v4). One player quitting creates a huge imbalance.

That being said, I completely understand why people quit. No judgement from me. I’ve started quitting myself as of late.

They’ll sound like operable solutions , maybe perhaps, a statistically play shot list.

I refuse to quit a match. I’ve never quit, only disconnected.

Yeah, I don’t understand why people think quitting should be punished. Everyone does it, whether they admit it or not. I also don’t understand how 343i has a community feedback system, encourages feedback, then completely ignores the most common complaints. I’ve consistently seen posts that are bad spawns, no social playlist, and unbalanced weaponry. I don’t necessarily agree with the last one, but it takes a lot of gall from a company to set up a feedback system, then blatantly ignore the most popular requests. They haven’t made any mention of fixing those issues. I’m starting to see why so many people are jumping ship from 343i.

I had my first DNF before because I was playing a 2 on 4. I don’t mind playing 3 on 4 but seriously having half your team quit is a bit much.

> 2777219770231546;3:
> All three are interesting ideas that could be tested easily- designing and developing them would be a pain in the -Yoink- though. I have to agree with above, solution 3 probably wouldn’t really change anything

You guys obviously didn’t play a lot of Reach. They had a great reward for not quitting, after each game there was a random lottery for every player for CR points. If you were on a streak of not quitting your chances of a big jackpot went up each game, even on a loss. It really helped in the quitting thing, because people who cared about unlocks would stay in for the jackpot chance.

I wish they they had kept this for the latest Halo games, it was a great system and definitely added to the addiction… Just… One… More… Game…!

I VOTE YES TO BOTH SOLUTIONS 1 AND 2 !!!

New method, the Halo Police. Quit twice and you get put on the list, you never know when it’ll hit you, then BOOM, headshot!

> 2533274884387290;17:
> New method, the Halo Police. Quit twice and you get put on the list, you never know when it’ll hit you, then BOOM, headshot!

This, isn’t apple with it’s own secret police…We, don’t need that kind of fear mongering.