May I ask how Chief is "too emotional"?

One of the most glaring criticisms of Halo 4’s story I’ve seen is that Master Chief is portrayed as “too emotional”. While I’ve got many criticisms with the story, I have to say I’m not really seeing where this one is coming from. If I had to hazard a guess, part of it stems from Chief actually talking significantly more than he has in past Halo games. Because of this Chief is able to give his opinion to things going on in the game more than he ever has. Perhaps when Chief tries to comfort the slowly becoming rampant Cortana comes off as too forced for some?

Honestly, I would have to say that might’ve been the point. I’ve gone into depth on Cortana and Chief’s relationship in the past, but with this point in particular I think any “forced” emotion fits within Chief’s character. After all, he doesn’t know what rampancy feels like. Chief is completely out of his element in this instance, Cortana is not some piece of military hardware like a gun that can be fixed by a throughout cleaning, she is an artificial construct with deeply human emotions. Emotion, however, is something Chief has struggled to grasp. 343i made it a huge point about how Chief is trying to reclaim his humanity, so obviously he isn’t going to just slip naturally into a normal person with normal emotions and normal behaviors. 40+ years of training and combat are hard to strip away.

So yeah, I just don’t see how people can say Chief has become some emo, crybaby. It seems like they have played a completely different game. Opinions are opinions, I know that. Yet when I see people comparing Chief to Neon Genesis Evangelion’s Shinji Ikari…I’ve convinced folks are simply seeing what they want to see. Chief is just like a 14-year old kid with daddy issues who would rather run away from his problems while screaming rather than pilot a giant robot? Seriously?

Discuss.

He was not too emotional. To whom that says this: You’re incorrect. He is finally seeing himself as a regular human, but holds it well. He shows no weakness, can fight to the death just as well as before, perhaps even better. Just because he finally talks more, does not render him a crybaby. Matter of fact, maybe he’s tougher. Look at the teaser for Halo 5, he walks, ALONE, thru a sandstorm and mans up against a huge whatever the hell that thing is. He is perhaps even more lethal and focused now, which can actually render a better Spartan. not to mention whatever the Librarian did to make his evolutionary journey complete. I fully agree Cobra.

Think about it, what did people see Chief as before 4? They saw a mostly stoic soldier who did his job nary a complaint or whine. Now they see a broken man who disobeyed orders, sure it was for a good cause and even this was not the first time as shown in first strike he also did. Here’s the think however, there was little forshadowing, this could also be see as Traviss’ contrevesial writing taking over, retconning, many things. BTW, the reason I said Shinji was of the quite similar things and events that the chief has and experianced. You can also make a case for Madoka, Sousuke Sagura, Kira Yamato, and Raiden of MGS fame with the similar experience. Besides, people would rather see a stoic soldier of Chief than an emotional one.

To be honest, I find those kind of people being around for the multiplayer, or have not paid any real attention when it comes to how many times Master Chief could have easily died if Cortana wasn’t there in each game. If Chief just shrugged it off like he does with Keyes, Johnson, Miranda, or every single marine that he ever fought with, I’d be a tad upset over it.

You don’t act unemotional when the very person that has kept you alive through some very tough things that would easily kill you, dies. Especially right at the doorstep where you could even begin to save his/her life. That would be bad writing, even if the character is originally supposed to be a guy who has very little lines of dialogue.

if he starts crying itll be a bit much, and also he is trained as a super soldier and not to feel or show emotion, therefore thats how he is i dont want a more whiney emotional chief just a more -Yoink- talking one

everyone who says he is too emotional should go and play
“composer” again. seriously…the staff of a whole freakin’ space-station
got transformed into ashes and he did not really care at all.

What is wrong in anyway with Chief having emotions. He is not a sociopath. His behavior concerning Cortana proves this. Great Hero’s experience conflict with their emotions. Chief has known loss. He lost his family, and his class mates. Then loses his family again ie…Cortana/Halsey/Arbitor/Johnson. Chief displays his greatness by moving forward despite these challenges. Chiefs silence is only evidence of his internal refection. This silence means he is thinking, and emoting. Being a Spartan his feelings can be focused like a weapon meant to protect. Of course chiefs feels, he feels responsible for us all.

> everyone who says he is too emotional should go and play
> “composer” again. seriously…<mark>.the staff of a whole freakin’ space-station</mark>
> <mark>got transformed into ashes and he did not really care at all.</mark>

I think he cared once he saw Cortana’s reaction.

And when Tilson was being digitized, you saw him hold his hand out in an attempt to help/save her.

> “composer” again. seriously…<mark>the staff of a whole freakin’ space-station</mark>
> <mark>got transformed into ashes and he did not really care at all.</mark>

He definitely cared, he just stopped himself from reacting and pushed it away into the back of his mind, just as he has always done.

> “composer” again. seriously…the staff of a whole freakin’ space-station
> got transformed into ashes and he did not really care at all.

Oh he cared, but was helpless ATM. Like Andy said, he reached out to Tilson but with no luck. He cares, but is silent about it.

If you lost a girlfriend that hot, how would you feel?

> If you lost a girlfriend that hot, how would you feel?

Kind of a silly response, although true about her appearance. Don’t worry, Palmer seems into him lol.

OT: He is and will be fine, far from a cry-baby or any of the sort.

I think that to emotionally immature people, any show of emotion or compassion is considered excessively feminine. In truth, care, compassion, and gentleness are masculine qualities in appropriate situations.

In Halo 4, for the first time, Master Chief showed that he wasn’t a machine, but just a man like anyone else, and an emotionally mature one at that. I think that’s a bit much for emotionally immature people to fully comprehend.

> <mark>I think that to emotionally immature people, any show of emotion or compassion is considered excessively feminine</mark>. In truth, care, compassion, and gentleness are masculine qualities in appropriate situations.
>
> In Halo 4, for the first time, Master Chief showed that he wasn’t a machine, but just a man like anyone else, and an emotionally mature one at that. I think that’s a bit much for emotionally immature people to fully comprehend.

Careful buddy, there are ladies present.

> > If you lost a girlfriend that hot, how would you feel?
>
> Kind of a silly response, although true about her appearance. <mark>Don’t worry, Palmer seems into him lol.</mark>
>
> OT: He is and will be fine, far from a cry-baby or any of the sort.

Oh god no I would rather have Chief kill her for what she did to Halsey. Rather than Palmer being into him. I would rather die, then respawn lol.

> Think about it, what did people see Chief as before 4? They saw a mostly stoic soldier who did his job nary a complaint or whine. Now they see a broken man who disobeyed orders, sure it was for a good cause and even this was not the first time as shown in first strike he also did. Here’s the think however, there was little forshadowing, <mark>this could also be see as Traviss’ contrevesial writing taking over</mark>, retconning, many things. BTW, the reason I said Shinji was of the quite similar things and events that the chief has and experianced. You can also make a case for Madoka, Sousuke Sagura, Kira Yamato, and Raiden of MGS fame with the similar experience. Besides, people would rather see a stoic soldier of Chief than an emotional one.

How? Her contributions are easy enough to see, but she has had little to do with Chief himself.

I don’t see how he’s too emotional, I mean, the books seems to show the Master Chief with more emotion in the game. Not only that, but he’s still human. He’s not a machine…

i don’t see something wrong with Chief Human side, maybe he’s Spartan but Human in the end… i mean, it’s not the first time we see emotional Spartans

(cough Noble Team cough)

Yes he is too emotional in this game. 343i is portraying him as someone who actually cares about the well being of a computer program. Master Chief was raised in a strict discipline, no emotion environment from the age of six. He would not start getting all emotional in his mid-forties because of an artificial intelligence. 343i is just trying to make the storyline “more interesting” at the expense of actual canon.

> i don’t see something wrong with Chief Human side, maybe he’s Spartan but Human in the end… i mean, it’s not the first time we see emotional Spartans
>
> (cough Noble Team cough)

I envy Noble Team the most out of ALL other Spartan teams, I’ll have you know. They were top tier, could rival the Spartan II’s no problem, gene and training wise, yet were able to interact with non-spartans with more ease than all other Spartans.

“Noble Team also operated with non-Spartan military personnel more extensively than other Spartan teams. To grant them more operational freedom when interacting with regular military personnel, the members of Noble Team had been given higher ranks than most of the Spartans by their CO.”

LINK

Respect thy NOBLE