Matchmaking Peak All Time Low Today.

Please, if you don’t have anything constructive to this post, dont post at all. I dont care if you arent a numbers person.

This is for dicussion of Peak Population Numbers, nothing entailing campaig players, SOPS players, etc.

Release Week Peak Population:
410,534 Players.

Christmas Week Peak Population:
146,429 Players.

Todays Peak Population:
76,125 Players.

Day 1 to Rougly 2 month:
64% MM Player Loss

Day 1 to Rougly 3 month:
82% MM Player Loss

Estimated Day 1 to 6 month:
???
Who knows how many players will have left, by the time CSR comes around!, Given the rate at which players are leaving, not much will be seeing it.

82% of players that played launch week, would rather be spending their time playing a different game peak hours.Given the rate of decay for this game, players aren’t very fond of the online play. For the players that do enjoy it good for you.

I dont know about you guys but the Half Life for this game doesnt look very good, Im weeping for Halo.=/

O well, Off to Bungie’s Destiny :slight_smile:

I’m gonna laugh if Destiny overthrows Halo. It’s like Bungie making a better game then their own child they make back in 01.

343 is taking way too long to update matchmaking playlists (they need an overhaul) and release a title update. 343 needs to step up big for their next game. Either release H2 anniversary with updated graphics and also unedited multiplayer or for Halo 5 stop making Halo so noob friendly. They have killed the skill gap and competitiveness of Halo.

No visible ranking system. No Team Snipers. No MLG.

> I’m gonna laugh if Destiny overthrows Halo. It’s like Bungie making a better game then their own child they make back in 01.

Halo is not bungie’s child anymore, they put it up for adoption and gave it away to some Uncaring, nonresponsive parents

destiny won’t overthrow it though, its an rpg

I got so disappointed and frustrated with Halo 4 it prompted me to set up Xbconnect to play halo 2 which I hadn’t touched in 5 years. Oh man it was so much fun, the simplicity of it compared to Halo 4 just makes it so much more enjoyable.

I even hosted a room for noobs, playing different game modes, different weapon starts, played classics like lockout, midship, beaver creek, ivory tower and ascencion for hours.

Ok it looks and sounds dated but the core H2 gameplay is still there and it was fun, something I can’t say I experienced much in H4.

Now just have to get the map packs and title update and some old friends back on it for a laugh this weekend.

Yeah its pretty pathetic.

Ranking system only goes to 130 and people have got it and left.

OP DMR and boltshot.

Lag with no good connection option.

Average maps.

OP camo.

Useless warthog

Are some of the reasons I see for no one wanting to play it.
They are all fixable but I fear 343 has taken too long and there are too many stuffups.

Peak Population =/= Unique Users

Not everyone can play at the same time, so daily peak population stats aren’t really a good way to track how big the population is. Sure, the daily peak population might be 70k, but that is how many people are on at once. There could be twice as many daily unique users for all we know, because people play at different times of the day.

The reason that the population started so high at around 400k was because the game had just launched and everyone was playing at the same time.

https://forums.halowaypoint.com/yaf_postsm2014390_Halo-4-Daily-Peak-Population.aspx

> Please search similar threads on this topic. This is getting very repetitive to type out.
>
> Please try to understand the type of statistics that you are posting, and what they actually mean. I will try to make this as simple as possible to understand.
>
> The statistics that you posted, are “Peak Populations during a day”. Meaning, how high does the population get to at one point. This does not include everyone who logged in that day, “Unique Users.” So, when it says 117,000. The largest amount of people on at ONE SINGLE MOMENT OF time was 117,000. However, there were hundreds of thousands more that logged in throughout the day. To see how many people logged in 1 day, you need Unique User Statistics.
>
> Why is this important?
>
> Because your statistics are not the greatest indicator of how many people play halo.
>
> Look at 11/6/12. Why is this so high? Because everyone bought the game and went home and logged on. This happens for the first few days of a game release. After a few days though, people can no longer play a bunch of Halo for multiple hours. This is due to going back to other priorities and games.
>
> This decline is completley natural. It happens with everygame. Every game has this exact trend. Because everyone logs in at Midnight and throughout release day and for the following days. But then the big decline will begin.
>
> Your 70% decline stat, is misleading. 70% of people who bought the game did not leave. It’s just that you will NOT get 300 of thousands logging in at the SAME TIME ever again. This only occurs on release day.

God thankyou for explaining that. People need to get a life and quit bashing halo for reasons like that which relate to every other game in the industry. Grow up people nd just play the damn game

Since I’m too lazy to explain it all myself, here’s a link.

I believe those are the populations of Halo 3 at various dates of it’s lifetime.

32,000 online at one point? Ouch…

> Since I’m too lazy to explain it all myself, here’s a link.
>
> I believe those are the populations of Halo 3 at various dates of it’s lifetime.
>
> 32,000 online at one point? Ouch…

that 32,000 is not a daily peak
yesterday Halo 4’s population (at the same time of day that the 32,000 was recorded) was 25,000

And what about the last one in the list that your link points to. Halo 3’s population was 167,963 at that time and it was recorded 659 days after Halo 3 was released.

I guess we’ll have to wait and see what Halo 4’s population is like on August 27, 2014 so we can compare.

My bets on Halo 3

> > I’m gonna laugh if Destiny overthrows Halo. It’s like Bungie making a better game then their own child they make back in 01.
>
> Halo is not bungie’s child anymore, they put it up for adoption and gave it away to some Uncaring, nonresponsive parents
>
>
> destiny won’t overthrow it though, its an rpg

You do know that Halo hasn’t been Bungies since Microsoft bought Bungie back in late 90s or early 2000 (don’t know exactly when Bungie was acquired by MS). Microsoft have owned Halo ever since. But eventually Bungie wanted out and not being a Halo developer and a additional Halo game that wasn’t Halo: Reach was the price for their freedom.

And Halo 4 is at it’s core not a bad game it’s just some bad decisions that was made, I believe there is still hope, although changes have to happen fast.
And even if nothing happen I can guarantee you that even by this time next year Halo 4 will still be a lively place. After all Reach is still quite lively…

We also need to take CoD and Minecraft into consideration.
While I will never know what is so addictive with Minecraft, because I can’t stand that blocky -Yoink- myself
CoD is only popular for one reason and that is because it’s stale and haven’t moved an inch in over 5 years.
Explanation: there haven’t been any major changes to the graphics or gameplay, therefor the fans haven’t needed to adept to many new elements unlike Halo which have change a lot since Halo CE.

And it’s a FACT that most people (especially fans of a popular franchise) don’t like when any changes are made (good or bad doesn’t matter) to what they come to know.

> 343 is taking way too long to update matchmaking playlists (they need an overhaul) and release a title update. 343 needs to step up big for their next game. Either release H2 anniversary with updated graphics and also unedited multiplayer or for Halo 5 stop making Halo so noob friendly. They have killed the skill gap and competitiveness of Halo.

If 343i release Halo 2 Anniversary they will surely wreck it… Don’t change anything except graphics.

They won’t do it anyway, Because it would completely kill off Halo 4. Only thing Halo about Halo 4 was the campaign and the spartan armors, Everything else is COD

I’m not really surprised at the title of this topic. Oh well, back to the battlefield for me.

It’s not really hard to figure out why, more competition from other games, during halo 3 there really wasn’t anything else worth playing, I played perfect dark and farcry while waiting for halo 3, it’s no small wonder it didn’t leave my Xbox for a year,

now there’s piles of AAA games that are real fun to play, arcade games are getting better and better ,and minecrack just has people locked down, it’s a decent wind down game with no real objective you just get sucked in for hours/days.

> Since I’m too lazy to explain it all myself, here’s a link.
>
> I believe those are the populations of Halo 3 at various dates of it’s lifetime.
>
> 32,000 online at one point? Ouch…

halo 3 came out in September of 07, so don’t put the peak numbers for the game when it was 4 months down the road as compared to halo 4 being out for 2 months. It is also beating the game for peak population when it was 4 months down the road as compared to halo 4 being out for 2 months with a peak population of 70K. Lets just see where the game is in 3 months. It will most likely have a peak population of 10K.

Your just trying to make the numbers look better for halo 4 but realistically the game is dying. Bungie should have just barred the game after halo 3 if they were going to allow this to happen.

> 82% of players that played launch week, would rather be spending their time playing a different game peak hours.Given the rate of decay for this game, players aren’t very fond of the online play. For the players that do enjoy it good for you.

People always seem to struggle with statistical data and how to interpret it. You need to be careful about what numbers you are looking at. In this case, we are talking about peak population. Peak population (and any momentary population) has no relevance to how many people play the game, but how often people play the game.

The fact that the peak population has dropped to 18% of the launch peak population doesn’t mean 82% of players have completely or even almost completely quit playing. It means that people spend less time playing the game per day as well as that some people may not play it daily.

Another notable thing is that launch day population works under completely different rules than the population months after launch, which makes any comparison between them irrelevant. That is because on launch day, everyone who bought the game is playing. That population includes the relatively small amount of players who will end up playing the game religiously in the months to come, as well as the players who bought it, intended to play it for a while, and then move on to other games. If you want any kind of fair comparison, you should compare the population from month after launch to the latest population. Even then, you should take into account the natural decrease of interest towards the game that happens regardless of the game itself. You simply can’t make a game that interests players the same amount at launch and a year after release.

Finally, you are still only looking at daily peak population. The peak population doesn’t tell how many players actually played the game that day. It doesn’t tell what’s relevant.

Ultimately, population in general doesn’t tell a lot about the game. Okay, it tells how popular the game is. What can we deduce from that? Nothing, really. We can tell what games people are playing and how much. But no matter what, those numbers tell nothing about why the players are playing what they are playing. For all we know, players could be playing CoD instead of Halo because they experience Halo too hard. Alternatively, they could be playing it because it allows for better customization of your loadouts. They could even be playing it because it feels smoother due to the higher framerate. They could be playing it instead of Halo for a lot of reasons, but no matter how much you try, you can’t know the actual reason why they are playing it.

Going back to the population decrease of Halo, the same rules apply. You know the population has decreased, but you can’t say why it has dropped as much as it has, or how the decrease could have been less drastic. Neither can you say how much it would have been had the game been done differently. You can’t even say would the population have been higher or lower if the game had been done differently. Because in the end of the day, play and don’t play games for different reasons. It’s impossible to predict how a game will succeed before it’s released.

> > Since I’m too lazy to explain it all myself, here’s a link.
> >
> > I believe those are the populations of Halo 3 at various dates of it’s lifetime.
> >
> > 32,000 online at one point? Ouch…
>
> halo 3 came out in September of 07, so don’t put the peak numbers for the game when it was 4 months down the road as compared to halo 4 being out for 2 months. It is also beating the game for peak population when it was 4 months down the road as compared to halo 4 being out for 2 months with a peak population of 70K. Lets just see where the game is in 3 months. It will most likely have a peak population of 10K.
>
> Your just trying to make the numbers look better for halo 4 but realistically the game is dying. Bungie should have just barred the game after halo 3 if they were going to allow this to happen.

If you want, I can post more. I have the 24 hour UU counts from Halo 3 from September 24th, 2007 to December 8th, 2007 coupled with the “players online at an arbitrary moment in time” counts from September 24th, 2008 to July 24th, 2009. I call them that because that’s what they are, snapshots of the player count (in fact, the whole Bungie.net front page taken at an arbitrary time of day. To give some perspective on their inaccuracy, I have one for nine days after release that shows 39,617. But I still have the 24 hour ones if anyone’s interested.

>

That’s about as thorough and well thought out rationale for why all this peak population fuss is much-ado-about-nothing.

Not to be a jerk, but I think the general lack of understanding and establishing causal relationships, paired with a complete lack of any formal statistical interpretation education, is a primary cause of why this issue seems to be such a problem for folks in this forum.

Yes, the top player count snapshot is 18% of what it was opening day, and that “retention rate” [sic] is quite possibly lower than that of other AAA FPS titles out right now, or even prior iterations of the same franchise. But the mental gymnastics (I guess not really gymnastics, because it takes no effort is the person doesn’t know any better) necessary to completely ignore the environmental differences when comparing games within this franchise, or ignore differences in player behavior when comparing H4 to any other title on the market right now, really show a poor ability to critically analyze anything. And then attempting to establish the causal reasons for that “poor performance” as any number of things the arguor simply doesn’t like about the game…

I’m truly waiting to see a thoughtful explanation for how all these things are all linked together like so many people in this forum are convinced: how many people bought the game, how many people continue to play it, how many people bought and continue to play other XBL capable games, features/elements from prior Halo games not included in this iteration, and features/elements not included in prior Halo games that are included in this iteration. The only attempts I’ve seen are mere “because I think they do” or “because its true in my case”. I’m ready to be wowed.

> > > Since I’m too lazy to explain it all myself, here’s a link.
> > >
> > > I believe those are the populations of Halo 3 at various dates of it’s lifetime.
> > >
> > > 32,000 online at one point? Ouch…
> >
> > halo 3 came out in September of 07, so don’t put the peak numbers for the game when it was 4 months down the road as compared to halo 4 being out for 2 months. It is also beating the game for peak population when it was 4 months down the road as compared to halo 4 being out for 2 months with a peak population of 70K. Lets just see where the game is in 3 months. It will most likely have a peak population of 10K.
> >
> > Your just trying to make the numbers look better for halo 4 but realistically the game is dying. Bungie should have just barred the game after halo 3 if they were going to allow this to happen.
>
> If you want, I can post more. I have the 24 hour UU counts from Halo 3 from September 24th, 2007 to December 8th, 2007 coupled with the “players online at an arbitrary moment in time” counts from September 24th, 2008 to July 24th, 2009. I call them that because that’s what they are, snapshots of the player count (in fact, the whole Bungie.net front page taken at an arbitrary time of day. To give some perspective on their inaccuracy, I have one for nine days after release that shows 39,617. But I still have the 24 hour ones if anyone’s interested.

i would like if you were to post more.

If you don’t want to use peak population just go with the population of how many people got on the game that certain day and played at least one matchmaking game, spartan ops does not count. Now i know your going to say halo 4 hasn’t been out long enough to have a real idea of how it compares to halo 3, so i am going to ask you for a favor and that is in a year from when halo 4 came out, so in November, i want you to go and compare the population numbers and tell me how you think the game did.

I already have a good idea of how its going to look, halo 4 is going to drop off unless there is some huge changes that 343 makes. Not just the ranking system but a lot of other things like bolt shot, lag, custom load outs, invisibility, random ordinance and many more. Now you have to make these changes soon cause everyday people are giving up on halo 4, like myself.

Long live halo 3, the last real halo game, or until the servers are shut down.