Matchmaking Maps Improvements Thread

This is a thread designated for Multi-player Map Improvements wishlist, in no way is this a thread for advocating the removal of any map, it is solely for the purpose of improving weapon placement and other minor changes to maps. Every map has its strong and weak points, those who take the time enough to notify this thread of any weakness in a map is greatly appreciated. I enjoy improving upon our great matchmaking system, I can’t do much myself, but there is power in numbers.

Here is a great example of a good improvement post:

> I really think there should be a soft kill barrier in the camping spot on sword base in infection, people seem to camp in that area and make infection more pain then it is fun, you can’t reach them if they’re up there, and with evade it’s nearly impossible to make any jump or grav lift up. (Already Fixed)

Here is a example of a bad improvement post:

> I think the map “Etc.” is terrible and should be removed, this map is so stupid, its ugly gray and everyone hates it!

I will make a list accordingly under each map, each map having a section of it’s own. If you see that your improvement is not yet listed, do not worry, I will get around to it. Each map will be added to the list when it receives a viable improvement Idea.

Now lets make matchmaking better!

Map Improvement Wishlist

> Highlands
> - They need to replace both the Plasma Launcher and SPARTAN Laser in the Garage on the cliff with Grenade Launchers, and then replace in the Grenade Launcher in the Central Pelican with either a SPARTAN Laser or Plasma Launcher. As it stands, there ware currently WAY too many long-range anti-vehicle weapons on the map, and giving Red Team the superior weapon on a superior position basically for free isn’t fair.
>
> Breakpoint
> - In non-Invasion gametypes, remove the SPARTAN Laser. There are already Rockets and Plasma Launchers for both teams; you don’t need to give Blue Team a SPARTAN Laser too.
>
> Countdown
> - Replace Shotgun with Rockets. Currently every power weapon on the map is more defensively-orientated, so it leads to massive amounts of camping up top. Replacing Shotgun with Rockets adds an offensive weapon to the map, and one that is hard to control from up top, giving players more reason to move and not camp.
>
> Spire - Invasion
> - Give the SPARTAN team 2 DMRs during Phase 1. The Elites having height, cover and weapon advantage is just ridiculous.
>
>
> Boneyard - Invasion
> - Take away 1 DMR from the SPARTAN team during Phase 1, and put a kill up top on the left side where SPARTAN team can camp and shoot the attacking Elites from an angle they can’t even see on the way in, much less react to.
>
>
>
> Thats it, for now.

> These are meant for competitive gametypes, like Arena or a set of ranked playlists, if we ever get them.
>
> Reflection
> -Move sniper to back window.
> -Move rockets to bottom hallway, next to current sword spawn.
> -Remove shotgun and sword.
> -Add plasma launcher (or grenade launcher) to second floor, below the balcony.
> -Add overshield in the middle of the zen pond.
> -Adjust initial spawns - MLG’s were good, Vetoed’s ‘Arena Reflection’ map had good initial spawns too (directly across from each other on the center walkway). Back stairs might also work.
>
> Powerhouse
> -Move rockets to showers, replacing the grenade launcher.
> -Add sniper rifle to dormitory, effectively replacing the focus rifle.
> -Move shotgun to a more neutral position down near the abyss.
> -Add overshield to water tank area.
> -Remove hammer and grenade launcher.
> -Adjust initial spawns (red in concrete hall, blue near focus rifle) so that the opening rush takes place in P1, with the winner advancing up the stairs to P2 (assuming the jetpack is removed from competitive gametypes).
>
> Boardwalk
> -Move initial spawns to opposite ends of bottom hallway.
> -Replace plasma launcher with a neutral sniper rifle.
> -Move rockets to low balcony, beside the second floor of the rest stop.
> -Add active camo powerup to cafe hall (I think that’s what it’s called, the last hall on the upper side of the map).
>
> Zealot
> -MLG’s Zealot is pretty good for competitive play. I’d just move the GL to replace sniper and put active camo in the holograms area. And replace the evade with a shotgun.
>
> Countdown
> -Return initial spawns to original place, where MLG has them now.
> -Remove shotgun, sword, and CR.
> -Add sniper rifle to big door.
> -Add grenade launcher to balcony.
> -Add active camo powerup to second floor balcony (where the neutral needle rifle is now).
>
> Sword Base
> -Move initial spawns to opposite ends of the bottom floor.
> -Add two teleporter channels: the first from roughly the middle of bottom floor, to break room, the second from the floor-2F stairs to shotgun room. The former should remain closed until a minute or so has passed.
> -Remove shotgun, grenade launcher, and sword.
> -Move sniper to operations/blue room.
> -Add rockets to replace the sword.
> -Add active camo powerup to the walkway outside shotgun room.
>
> Anchor 9
> -Move each team’s initial spawns back a few units, so the railing doesn’t get in the way when we turn to face space side.
> -Block space. Add two-way teleporters from each team’s small space threshold to their respective side of the observation deck.
> -Move rockets to the tall platform between each team’s turret area, add jump-ups.
> -Remove shotgun.
> -Add a sniper below each team’s stairs.
>
> Condemned
> -Soft-kill space, remove all items in there.
> -Remove snipers.
> -Add rockets to neutral spot in repair bay (the big wall, hard to describe without a screenshot).
> -Add sword to neutral spot in tram station (the tunnel adjacent to the observation deck).
> -Move shotguns closer to each team’s initial spawn.
>
> Asylum
> -Use a better Sanctuary, please. There’s plenty out there.
>
> Highlands
> -Remove snipers, shotguns, and rocket launchers.
> -Add a neutral rocket launcher to the middle island.
> -Add a grenade launcher and a focus rifle to each base.
>
> Tempest
> -Remove snipers.
> -Add neutral laser to center.
> -Maybe an additional neutral weapon down near the creek (sword?).

reserved

Living Dead Sword Base:
The red lift room on sword base is terrible, with ledge you could jump over from the top of the red lift but now its just one big shotgun fest.

Thats a cosmetic addition to the map as well, before I add this to the list I’m going to test it out. In fact I think it would be beneficial that you test your ideas as well as post them. It gives your suggestion more credibility.

Oh it’s been tested in living dead alright…

Highlands

• They need to replace both the Plasma Launcher and SPARTAN Laser in the Garage on the cliff with Grenade Launchers, and then replace in the Grenade Launcher in the Central Pelican with either a SPARTAN Laser or Plasma Launcher. As it stands, there ware currently WAY too many long-range anti-vehicle weapons on the map, and giving Red Team the superior weapon on a superior position basically for free isn’t fair.

Breakpoint

• In non-Invasion gametypes, remove the SPARTAN Laser. There are already Rockets and Plasma Launchers for both teams; you don’t need to give Blue Team a SPARTAN Laser too.

Countdown

• Replace Shotgun with Rockets. Currently every power weapon on the map is more defensively-orientated, so it leads to massive amounts of camping up top. Replacing Shotgun with Rockets adds an offensive weapon to the map, and one that is hard to control from up top, giving players more reason to move and not camp.

Spire - Invasion

• Give the SPARTAN team 2 DMRs during Phase 1. The Elites having height, cover and weapon advantage is just ridiculous.

Boneyard - Invasion

• Take away 1 DMR from the SPARTAN team during Phase 1, and put a kill up top on the left side where SPARTAN team can camp and shoot the attacking Elites from an angle they can’t even see on the way in, much less react to.

Thats it, for now.

These are meant for competitive gametypes, like Arena or a set of ranked playlists, if we ever get them.

Reflection
-Move sniper to back window.
-Move rockets to bottom hallway, next to current sword spawn.
-Remove shotgun and sword.
-Add plasma launcher (or grenade launcher) to second floor, below the balcony.
-Add overshield in the middle of the zen pond.
-Adjust initial spawns - MLG’s were good, Vetoed’s ‘Arena Reflection’ map had good initial spawns too (directly across from each other on the center walkway). Back stairs might also work.

Powerhouse
-Move rockets to showers, replacing the grenade launcher.
-Add sniper rifle to dormitory, effectively replacing the focus rifle.
-Move shotgun to a more neutral position down near the abyss.
-Add overshield to water tank area.
-Remove hammer and grenade launcher.
-Adjust initial spawns (red in concrete hall, blue near focus rifle) so that the opening rush takes place in P1, with the winner advancing up the stairs to P2 (assuming the jetpack is removed from competitive gametypes).

Boardwalk
-Move initial spawns to opposite ends of bottom hallway.
-Replace plasma launcher with a neutral sniper rifle.
-Move rockets to low balcony, beside the second floor of the rest stop.
-Add active camo powerup to cafe hall (I think that’s what it’s called, the last hall on the upper side of the map).

Zealot
-MLG’s Zealot is pretty good for competitive play. I’d just move the GL to replace sniper and put active camo in the holograms area. And replace the evade with a shotgun.

Countdown
-Return initial spawns to original place, where MLG has them now.
-Remove shotgun, sword, and CR.
-Add sniper rifle to big door.
-Add grenade launcher to balcony.
-Add active camo powerup to second floor balcony (where the neutral needle rifle is now).

Sword Base
-Move initial spawns to opposite ends of the bottom floor.
-Add two teleporter channels: the first from roughly the middle of bottom floor, to break room, the second from the floor-2F stairs to shotgun room. The former should remain closed until a minute or so has passed.
-Remove shotgun, grenade launcher, and sword.
-Move sniper to operations/blue room.
-Add rockets to replace the sword.
-Add active camo powerup to the walkway outside shotgun room.

Anchor 9
-Move each team’s initial spawns back a few units, so the railing doesn’t get in the way when we turn to face space side.
-Block space. Add two-way teleporters from each team’s small space threshold to their respective side of the observation deck.
-Move rockets to the tall platform between each team’s turret area, add jump-ups.
-Remove shotgun.
-Add a sniper below each team’s stairs.

Condemned
-Soft-kill space, remove all items in there.
-Remove snipers.
-Add rockets to neutral spot in repair bay (the big wall, hard to describe without a screenshot).
-Add sword to neutral spot in tram station (the tunnel adjacent to the observation deck).
-Move shotguns closer to each team’s initial spawn.

Asylum
-Use a better Sanctuary, please. There’s plenty out there.

Highlands
-Remove snipers, shotguns, and rocket launchers.
-Add a neutral rocket launcher to the middle island.
-Add a grenade launcher and a focus rifle to each base.

Tempest
-Remove snipers.
-Add neutral laser to center.
-Maybe an additional neutral weapon down near the creek (sword?).

Add a Sniper Rifle to Countdown somewhere. I would like a good anti-camping gun to combat the players who stay outside and watch the air vents. Maybe place the Sniper Rifle at the middle of the Double DMRs.

Thrash, you want to remove Snipers? Are you kidding me. If anything this game needs more of them and more ammo for them. Halo 2 Sniper Rifle had 12 shots on every map it was on. Not this reduced lameness.

> Thrash, you want to remove Snipers? Are you kidding me. If anything this game needs more of them and more ammo for them. Halo 2 Sniper Rifle had 12 shots on every map it was on. Not this reduced lameness.

Halo 2 and Reach are two different animals. Reach’s gameplay is naturally campy, combine that with the sniper’s incredible ease of use in this game, and it just stagnates gameplay. Why go out and risk having your head taken off?

The maps themselves play a role as well. Highlands and Boardwalk are sniper hell, and with their current weapon layouts (a sniper and shotgun at each base, plus Highlands has rockets at each base), games are always a turtlewalk and almost always go to time. Sniper breaks Zealot as well, good map flow is that map’s biggest strength, the sniper stifles it.

Plus it’s not like I’m suggesting removing the sniper from every map. Hell I suggested adding them to Anchor 9, Countdown, and Powerhouse.

Thread updated with user suggestions.

Make one of the map packs free so more people can play more than the ones already on disk.