Matchmaking Filters

I’ve had this wish since Halo 2’s online days, and Bungie started going in the right direction, especially with Reach. In fact Max Payne 3 implemented something similar. Matchmaking search filtering!

Seriously, if we can say what kind of generic player we want to play with (in search settings) why not just add a few more criteria like minimum age, propensity for quitting, team killers/weapon thieves(you know, the stupid a-holes on your team who betray you for the power weapon or vehicle you just got), cheaters, etc.

These filters could be determined both by the current algorithms for play statistics (think K/D ratio, KpH, BPR, etc.) PLUS community feedback (ignoring, of course, Microsoft’s trash feedback system that doesn’t do anything). Between these two things we can filter all the team-killers together, all the cheaters together, all the quitters together! None of this stupid waiting 20 minutes before you can play or outright banning people. Just filter the dregs of XBL into the same search result groups. They don’t even need to know that they’re being filtered!

How awesome would it be to watch one of these rage quitting -Yoink!- try to play some Halo but cant 'cuz everyone else keeps quitting! I think I’d pay money just to watch a video of that.

first off, welcome to the forums!

second, that is one judgemental matchmaking system you’ve got going on.

Do these Matchmaking Filters even work?

It still seemed like, back when I actually used to play Raech, that when I set my preference to people that don’t usually quit, there’s still a massive amount of quitters.

Welcome to the forums! I don’t think that people will admit to being A-holes though.

Thanks for the welcome, I’ve been reading for years, just never commenting. The point of this system would be to classify people by their actions -the way they interact with the community. I don’t want to play with people who take advantage of the game in an unfair ways, or those who have no problem ruining the experience for others. Conversely, if you’re banning people from online play you’re making them waste their money and they are much less likely to spend more in the future (DLC). These filters would ideally match-make according to people’s bad habits, but in such a way they dont even know it.

I’m really not sure about the current filters working or not. I never play with teamchat, so I don’t know if Im getting the polite players. Im also pretty competitive and a decent player, so I’m not sure if I’m getting the “have a good time” players as I’ve set in my filters. Mostly I get other players who are evenly matched with me and seem to be pretty serious about winning. I think these current filters aren’t very strong though… more like suggestions used to lightly weight the search results one way or the other.

> Seriously, if we can say what kind of generic player we want to play with (in search settings) why not just add a few more criteria like minimum age, propensity for quitting, team killers/weapon thieves(you know, the stupid a-holes on your team who betray you for the power weapon or vehicle you just got), cheaters, etc.

I’m not sure 343 could get some of those statistics. Plus its possible to change/lie, manipulate, and boost some of those thins. I like the idea, but beyond what Reach has, I don’t think this is possible.

well thats the beauty of implementing community feedback on players into the search algorithm! If you say you’re a 20 year old gamer but you spend your matches squeaking out obscenities cuz you’re really a 12 year old jerkface, other players could indicate that you’re really a younger player. Over time, with enough people saying you’re a 12 year old, you would get filtered in with younger and younger players. It’s definitely a system that would take a few months to become accurate. It would be looking for patterns and wouldn’t change based on the feedback of a few players.

> Welcome to the forums! I don’t think that people will admit to being A-holes though.

most never do…

> > Seriously, if we can say what kind of generic player we want to play with (in search settings) why not just add a few more criteria like minimum age, propensity for quitting, team killers/weapon thieves(you know, the stupid a-holes on your team who betray you for the power weapon or vehicle you just got), cheaters, etc.
>
> I’m not sure 343 could get some of those statistics. Plus its possible to change/lie, manipulate, and boost some of those thins. I like the idea, but beyond what Reach has, I don’t think this is possible.

I think initially 343i could just ask for that information directly from the player. When you go to play there’s a questionnaire:

1. Select your age
  2. Are you a jerk when you play?
  3. Do you quit often?
  4. Do you mind cussing?

etc.

Then over time the system learns that everyone lied and begins to sort them according to the truth about the players gaming habits. Keep in mind, this is something that wouldn’t be very clear to the player base -if they’d even be told at all. It would be a behind the scenes thing meant to keep everyone playing while, hopefully, keeping the jerks from ruining EVERY game they get into.