MasterChief should not speak too much!

I read that in an interview

> For Master Chief’s latest intergalactic adventure, 343 Industries is giving him a minor makeover, tweaking both the supersoldier’s iconic suit of armor, <mark>as well as his usually silent, oh-so-stoic attitude.</mark>

Pls NO,that would not be MasterChief! Even wikipedia says that:

> Downes built his personification of the Chief off a character description which called for a Clint Eastwood-type character of few words.

> Downes said that his voicing for Master Chief was based entirely on Bungie’s written character description provided, which specified a character similar to Clint Eastwood and of few words.

> In the games, the Master Chief never speaks during player-controlled gameplay, making him an almost silent protagonist.Even during cutscenes, the character generally speaks sparingly. Bungie Studios’ <mark>Frank O’Connor has described</mark> the Chief as "so quiet and so invisible, literally, that the player gets to pretend they’re the Chief.

We will probably not see Chiefs face and thats good:

> O’Connor said in an interview that revealing the face of the Chief is not as important as revealing the events going on around the character.

So please try explaining his character without letting him speak too much.And please dont show his face as well.Thank you :slight_smile:

keep him badass :slight_smile: <3

Cortana does the talking, Chief does the shooting. Those are the rules, 343 don’t break the rules (too much).

i agree wholeheartedly! when you give a protagonist his or her own voice it will always portrait a personality that someone will not like. but by having the chief barely talk it allows the player to implement a part of him or herself into him. to prove what i mean i think it would be interesting to hear what some people portrait the chief as (age, figure, background).

I wouldn’t be too surprised if Mc was found reading a book to school children.

We’ll just have to wait and see how many more problems 343 can arise.

To be honest I don’t see myself as the Chief. The Chief is Chief. Just because he doesn’t talk much doesn’t mean that he doesn’t have depth and personality because he does.

However, I am not against him speaking more. I’d prefer them to not show his face but i’m fine with him speaking more. If you read the books he talks a lot more in them and I love his personality in the books and the games.

Master Chief does have an age and a background. They just don’t elaborate on it in the games.

While I don’t want him to be a chatterbox, I want to see more of the human side to John. It’s about time he becomes a real character rather than an empty vessel.

I’d prefer it if Chief actually talked this time around, myself. Outside of the books, he’s always been a terribly boring character. Flat as can be, and about as interesting as my carpet.

I want 343i to actually make him a character worthy of having the biggest role in Halo.

I want him, for once, to be a full character.

NO, OP -Yoink- YOU.

Go read the Books, John isn’t some slient -Yoink- that the games make him out to be. It’s just the fluff put there for all the ignorant “average Joe” fans who know nothing of the EU , to make them “Feel like the hero”.

Frankie has said that Chief will talk about as much as he did in Halo 3.

I agree with the other half of the commenters in this thread, I would prefer if Master Chief became an actual character in the games like he is in the books and other media.

In the first few games having Master Chief as an empty vessel for the players to put themselves into worked, but now that we have multiplayer where we can make our own character and play as them replaces that need that was in the first games, now there is no need for players to put themselves into the character of Master Chief since we have our own so now Master Chief is free to become the character that some of us love from the books.

By the end of Halo 4, Chief should have talked enough to write a 100 page book, font size 3, italicized with no paragraphs - my expectations

Chief has always seemed like a full character to me. He’s the one character in video games that I really feel like I can step in to his shoes in a sense when I play as him. Most characters talk a lot which makes them pretty basic, chiefs an interesting character because he only really talks when he has something important to say.

In the books when chief talks he’s either talking to his team, discussing the situation with high ranking officers, or thinking to himself, which is pretty much the same in the games.

so lets see. You’ve been fighting Covenant for 3 games, you defeated them and their prophets, now you come out of cryo and your only companion is Cortana. You expect Chief to not have conversation? Its just him and her so far as we know. I expect him to speak more. He’s seen a lot and been through a lot. Can’t keep it bottled up forever, regardless of how much training you’ve had.

oh and Chief hasn’t seen any of his friends for a good 5-6 years now, they’ve all been killed or separated by the events of the war. He talked quite a bit with them, but if all your friends died I’d be relatively silent for a while too.

> Frankie has said that Chief will talk about as much as he did in Halo 3.

proof please? a link or something?

He should at least reply to questions or state things instead of Cortana doing it “all” the time.

> I agree with the other half of the commenters in this thread, I would prefer if Master Chief became an actual character in the games like he is in the books and other media.
>
> In the first few games having Master Chief as an empty vessel for the players to put themselves into worked, but now that we have multiplayer where we can make our own character and play as them replaces that need that was in the first games, now there is no need for players to put themselves into the character of Master Chief since we have our own so now Master Chief is free to become the character that some of us love from the books.

i think he should be a full character as well,but he just should not speak TOO much,i used to love him as the guy with few words,that badass,i dont want him to be a guy whos sitting in the corner and crying the whole day about his past

of course i want to know moar about chiefs past but he should not talk too much,they should rather show his face and then do something like a timetravel and then a video or something

> Chief has always seemed like a full character to me. He’s the one character in video games that I really feel like I can step in to his shoes in a sense when I play as him. Most characters talk a lot which makes them pretty basic, <mark>chiefs an interesting character because he only really talks when he has something important to say</mark>.

A good listener/follower but not afraid to question or to act as an arbiter. I’m constantly reminded of the Two Betrayals beginning cutscene whenever I think about this matter.

> Frankie has said that Chief will talk about as much as he did in Halo 3.

Well in the GI’s demo he did talk a bit to Cortana, saying stuff like he likes her new upgrade to his visor, a door is sealed and he says not a problem then proceeds to pry it open, when they meet the covenant he said didn’t we make peace with them? While he did talk I bit more, it wasn’t over the top, it was more like he was catching up with an old friend.