Master Chief's Mark VI vs traditional Mark VI

Mark VI
Cortana’s Variant

I was quite suprised at how well the traditional Mark VI from Halo 2/3 turned out in Halo 4, mostly referring to the torso piece. Considering 343 has given us a vision of what it looks like in Halo 4’s art style, do you guys think Chief still would have looked just as good with it, or is the overhauled look better?

343 made an excelent design for the new helmet of master chief. I really liked this one than the previous helmets. I hope they continue with this type Mark VI.

Go 343

I really like the Chief’s armor for Halo 4. Easily my favorite character design in the franchise (and I was quite partial to the Reach ODST model). That’s a big part of my disappointment with the multiplayer armor models.

I really like the chiefs armor in halo 4 but the multiplayer armor I feel could have benn better.

> 343 made an excelent design for the new helmet of master chief. I really liked this one than the previous helmets. I hope they continue with this type Mark VI.
>
> Go 343

Agreed.it looks really cool.

I feel that the GEN2 Mk VI, the one we use in multiplayer is the better looking of the two.
It’s the one that fits more with continuity with it’s appearance seemingly a re-imagined Mk VI armor. It’s slightly bulkier than the campaign armor and actually has better overall armor coverage, fewer spots of the bodysuit are exposed.

I definately like the new helmet over the old. In multiplayer it seems… different. I think the “cap” above the visor being more rounded out is doing that.

I would have preferred that they just say His armor was just changed for artistic purposes. The thing they said about it being “custom Cortana special” armor is made completely false because of the Prologue Cutscene where all the spartans had the new MC armor.

but I like the new better. It feels like the Halo 1 and Halo 2/3 armor put together.

His armour did look cool in Halo 4, I can’t see why they needed to change it though. But as they wanted to it would have made more sense to have had chief fitted with the new GEN 2 armour from the armoury on board the infinity and he would have got the armour we see him in… would have made more sense.

As the armour is in the game there’s no reason why it should have been excluded from multiplayer.

> I would have preferred that they just say His armor was just changed for artistic purposes. The thing they said about it being “custom Cortana special” armor is made completely false because of the Prologue Cutscene where all the spartans had the new MC armor.
>
> but I like the new better. It feels like the Halo 1 and Halo 2/3 armor put together.

I’m assuming you didn’t know that 343 Industries gave another company permission to develop the CGI cutscenes. It wasn’t intentional for the Spartans in the prologue to have the same armor as Chief in Halo 4. 343 only gave one model for the Spartans in the CGI. Think of it as a very broad but partially inaccurate explanation of previous events. So in short, the armor Chief wears in Halo 4 is completely unique and and modified by Cortana via nano-machines.

> > I would have preferred that they just say His armor was just changed for artistic purposes. The thing they said about it being “custom Cortana special” armor is made completely false because of the Prologue Cutscene where all the spartans had the new MC armor.
> >
> > but I like the new better. It feels like the Halo 1 and Halo 2/3 armor put together.
>
> I’m assuming you didn’t know that 343 Industries gave another company permission to develop the CGI cutscenes. It wasn’t intentional for the Spartans in the prologue to have the same armor as Chief in Halo 4. 343 only gave one model for the Spartans in the CGI. Think of it as a very broad but partially inaccurate explanation of previous events. So in short, the armor Chief wears in Halo 4 is completely unique and and modified by Cortana via nano-machines.

I think they would’ve been able to give then a different model to use and/or let them know that wasn’t right.

Please pay attention to the game.
Master Chief’s armor redesign in Halo 4 was retconned as being THE Mark VI of all previous Halo games. Look at the opening of the game, all the Spartans are wearing it.
The one you see in multiplayer is NOT the traditional mark VI. It is generation 2 Mark VI.

> Please pay attention to the game.
> Master Chief’s armor redesign in Halo 4 was retconned as being THE Mark VI of all previous Halo games. Look at the opening of the game, all the Spartans are wearing it.
> The one you see in multiplayer is NOT the traditional mark VI. It is generation 2 Mark VI.

> I’m assuming you didn’t know that 343 Industries gave another company permission to develop the CGI cutscenes. It wasn’t intentional for the Spartans in the prologue to have the same armor as Chief in Halo 4. 343 only gave one model for the Spartans in the CGI. Think of it as a very broad but partially inaccurate explanation of previous events. So in short, the armor Chief wears in Halo 4 is completely unique and and modified by Cortana via nano-machines.

The cutscenes were built to 343’s exact specifications unless proven otherwise.

Also, Nanomachines were not used until well after Chief’s departure. The first armor to incorporate them was the Mark VII. And an insignificant frigate such as Forward Unto Dawn would not have them aboard.

> Master Chief’s armor redesign in Halo 4 was retconned as being THE Mark VI of all previous Halo games. Look at the opening of the game, all the Spartans are wearing it.
> The one you see in multiplayer is NOT the traditional mark VI. It is generation 2 Mark VI.

But shouldn’t those Spartans be wearing Mk. IV?

> > Please pay attention to the game.
> > Master Chief’s armor redesign in Halo 4 was retconned as being THE Mark VI of all previous Halo games. Look at the opening of the game, all the Spartans are wearing it.
> > The one you see in multiplayer is NOT the traditional mark VI. It is generation 2 Mark VI.
>
> But shouldn’t those Spartans be wearing Mk. IV?

We were not given a date on the cut scene. Alot of Spartans were equipped with the Mark V, and when it rolled around newer Mark VI.

But MUH NANOMACHINES.

> > Master Chief’s armor redesign in Halo 4 was retconned as being THE Mark VI of all previous Halo games. Look at the opening of the game, all the Spartans are wearing it.
> > The one you see in multiplayer is NOT the traditional mark VI. It is generation 2 Mark VI.
>
> But MUH NANOMACHINES.

Nanomachines? What is this, Metal Gear?

Personally, I think it would have made sense for Chief’s armor to change when he is “upgraded” by the Librarian. The events of the game might have had to been changed around to allow that to happen sooner, but it is how I would have gone through with it. Course, a straight retcon isn’t the end of the world for aesthetics.

I believe an official answer from 343 is what is necessary to clear this up. It has been a big arguement since pre-release with different theories on what the deal is.

To be honest though, I made this thread for purposes other than starting this arguement. There are other threads for that.

> Previously employed by handful of SPARTAN-II assets, including the Master Chief, Mjolnir’s Mark VI armor was the last iteration of GEN1 suits that were engineered for contesting rebel activity but quickly repurposed to deal with the Covenant.

Source

The armor in multiplayer isn’t GEN2, so you are wrong and 343i made a canon error.

>
>
>
> > Previously employed by handful of SPARTAN-II assets, including the Master Chief, Mjolnir’s Mark VI armor was the last iteration of GEN1 suits that were engineered for contesting rebel activity but quickly repurposed to deal with the Covenant.
>
> Source
>
> The armor in multiplayer isn’t GEN2, so you are wrong and 343i made a canon error.

That is a mistake in itself as the Spartan VI’s not only lack the necessary enhancements to use the standard Mark VI, but also by the time they have rolled around the Mark VI is antiquated.

Multiplayer being the canon that it is, none of the Spartans would be issued armor that they could not use.