Master Chief's knife

Greetings,

On occasion, John is seen wielding a knife, either in cutscenes or avatars. But in gameplay, I’ve never seen it visible. I’ve started searching other visual sources but to no avail so far.

Does anyone know where its kept on his armor?

Cheers,
Brad

SquareRigged,

Holy crap, I never thought about that! Spartan Buck and Emile have their sheathed knifes placed prominently. Unless it is in a concealed internal compartment, I don’t know. ODST armor do have hard case compartments as seen in the We Are ODST short. So it is plausible that Mjolnir armor does too. Could be that the designers were worried that adding a sheathed knife would detract from Master Chief’s iconic armor.

> 2533274802263893;2:
> SquareRigged,
>
> Holy crap, I never thought about that! Spartan Buck and Emile have their sheathed knifes placed prominently. Unless it is in a concealed internal compartment, I don’t know. ODST armor do have hard case compartments as seen in the We Are ODST short. So it is plausible that Mjolnir armor does too. Could be that the designers were worried that adding a sheathed knife would detract from Master Chief’s iconic armor.

From a visual gameplay perspective, that was my thought as well.

As Master Chief doesn’t have a visible sheath, I’m going to assume it goes in the magic pocket that could hold his Rocket Launcher in Halo: CE/Halo 2 since it didn’t holster on his back. Only joking :slight_smile: I think it was just carried over from Halo: Reach.

In canon all Spartans have combat knives in some holster or another. We dont see it in gameplay for the same reason we dont see the ammo pouches the 10+ magazines they carry for their weapons; engine limitations.
HOWEVER; GEN 2 armor (and theoretically Chief’s MK VI Cortana Mod) have built-in sheaths in the gauntlets for the knives. So it literally comes out of the armor’s wrist.

> 2533274907200114;5:
> In canon all Spartans have combat knives in some holster or another. We dont see it in gameplay for the same reason we dont see the ammo pouches the 10+ magazines they carry for their weapons; engine limitations.
> HOWEVER; GEN 2 armor (and theoretically Chief’s MK VI Cortana Mod) have built-in sheaths in the gauntlets for the knives. So it literally comes out of the armor’s wrist.

That was my line of thought, that the sheath was actually built into the armor, and yeah I certainly understand the engine graphic issue. I always tried to picture Chief with all the magazines, grenades etc. At least in CE he appeared to have a bandalear(spelling?) around his waist.

Cheers,
Brad

> 2533274907200114;5:
> In canon all Spartans have combat knives in some holster or another. We dont see it in gameplay for the same reason we dont see the ammo pouches the 10+ magazines they carry for their weapons; engine limitations.
> HOWEVER; GEN 2 armor (and theoretically Chief’s MK VI Cortana Mod) have built-in sheaths in the gauntlets for the knives. So it literally comes out of the armor’s wrist.

Whoa! That’s cool. Where has that been confirmed?

> 2533274809073993;7:
> > 2533274907200114;5:
> > In canon all Spartans have combat knives in some holster or another. We dont see it in gameplay for the same reason we dont see the ammo pouches the 10+ magazines they carry for their weapons; engine limitations.
> > HOWEVER; GEN 2 armor (and theoretically Chief’s MK VI Cortana Mod) have built-in sheaths in the gauntlets for the knives. So it literally comes out of the armor’s wrist.
>
> Whoa! That’s cool. Where has that been confirmed?

Halo Escalation. Issue…4, 5 I think?
Palmer draws a knife and cuts Spartan Scrugg’s throat, then just…calmly shoves the knife back into the inside of her gauntlet like she hadn’t just killed a traitor.

It’s in that area were he keep’s his grenades armor abilities and all the other huge weapons he carries at all times.

> 2533274907200114;5:

So what you’re saying is that Master Chief’s full name may be John Auditore?

> 2533274880402739;10:
> > 2533274907200114;5:
> > In canon all Spartans have combat knives in some holster or another. We dont see it in gameplay for the same reason we dont see the ammo pouches the 10+ magazines they carry for their weapons; engine limitations.
> > HOWEVER; GEN 2 armor (and theoretically Chief’s MK VI Cortana Mod) have built-in sheaths in the gauntlets for the knives. So it literally comes out of the armor’s wrist.
>
> So what you’re saying is that Master Chief’s full name may be John Auditore?

With a couple more random fancy sounding Italian names in there somewhere, probably.
I mean…Eridanius II wasn’t EXPLICITLY founded by people from one country…

In all seriousness though, its not QUITE like a hidden blade, since those are spring loaded and made more for a forward stabbing motion. MJLONIR knive holders send the blade out handle-first so that the Spartan can start stabbing as needed. Mind you, having hidden blades in MJLONIR would be COOL (and kind of is a thing, since in Collateral Damage Fred’s skunkworks MJLONIR suit has ballistic blades), but its not yet a thing.

> 2533274907200114;8:
> > 2533274809073993;7:
> > > 2533274907200114;5:
> > > In canon all Spartans have combat knives in some holster or another. We dont see it in gameplay for the same reason we dont see the ammo pouches the 10+ magazines they carry for their weapons; engine limitations.
> > > HOWEVER; GEN 2 armor (and theoretically Chief’s MK VI Cortana Mod) have built-in sheaths in the gauntlets for the knives. So it literally comes out of the armor’s wrist.
> >
> > Whoa! That’s cool. Where has that been confirmed?
>
> Halo Escalation. Issue…4, 5 I think?
> Palmer draws a knife and cuts Spartan Scrugg’s throat, then just…calmly shoves the knife back into the inside of her gauntlet like she hadn’t just killed a traitor.

I believe the prototype of this type of gauntlet was used by Fred in Collateral Damage, but that’s just me speculating

> 2535435902217648;12:
> > 2533274907200114;8:
> > > 2533274809073993;7:
> > > > 2533274907200114;5:
> > > > In canon all Spartans have combat knives in some holster or another. We dont see it in gameplay for the same reason we dont see the ammo pouches the 10+ magazines they carry for their weapons; engine limitations.
> > > > HOWEVER; GEN 2 armor (and theoretically Chief’s MK VI Cortana Mod) have built-in sheaths in the gauntlets for the knives. So it literally comes out of the armor’s wrist.
> > >
> > > Whoa! That’s cool. Where has that been confirmed?
> >
> > Halo Escalation. Issue…4, 5 I think?
> > Palmer draws a knife and cuts Spartan Scrugg’s throat, then just…calmly shoves the knife back into the inside of her gauntlet like she hadn’t just killed a traitor.
>
> I believe the prototype of this type of gauntlet was used by Fred in Collateral Damage, but that’s just me speculating

Might be related, but those operated differently I believe.

I never noticed that. To be honest I was expecting another super knife post because of the Halo 4 scene where his knife pierced a Phantom like a hot knife through butter. I would honestly like the ammo patches and knife holsters that we got with Reach armors. Its kinda always bugged me prior but I understand why it was what it was.

> 2533274992413430;14:
> I never noticed that. To be honest I was expecting another super knife post because of the Halo 4 scene where his knife pierced a Phantom like a hot knife through butter. I would honestly like the ammo patches and knife holsters that we got with Reach armors. Its kinda always bugged me prior but I understand why it was what it was.

The knife cutting through the Lich has actually been commented on in the Spartan Manual of all things. Apperently the Materials Group made Spartan-special knives that are incredibly sharp, to the point that you’re not supposed to mess around with them even a little bit lest you loose an entire finger.
With the momentum of his fall and the force of his arm it makes sense he could cut through Covenant battleplate at least enough to stop himself

> 2533274907200114;11:
> > 2533274880402739;10:
> > > 2533274907200114;5:
> > > In canon all Spartans have combat knives in some holster or another. We dont see it in gameplay for the same reason we dont see the ammo pouches the 10+ magazines they carry for their weapons; engine limitations.
> > > HOWEVER; GEN 2 armor (and theoretically Chief’s MK VI Cortana Mod) have built-in sheaths in the gauntlets for the knives. So it literally comes out of the armor’s wrist.
> >
> > So what you’re saying is that Master Chief’s full name may be John Auditore?
>
> With a couple more random fancy sounding Italian names in there somewhere, probably.
> I mean…Eridanius II wasn’t EXPLICITLY founded by people from one country…
>
> In all seriousness though, its not QUITE like a hidden blade, since those are spring loaded and made more for a forward stabbing motion. MJLONIR knive holders send the blade out handle-first so that the Spartan can start stabbing as needed. Mind you, having hidden blades in MJLONIR would be COOL (and kind of is a thing, since in Collateral Damage Fred’s skunkworks MJLONIR suit has ballistic blades), but its not yet a thing.

So do you have to draw it or is it like this?
https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/de/wiki/Versteckte_Klinge/Galerie(I can’t figure out how to link the image directly, it’s the second one on this page)

> 2533274880402739;16:
> > 2533274907200114;11:
> > > 2533274880402739;10:
> > > > 2533274907200114;5:
> > > > In canon all Spartans have combat knives in some holster or another. We dont see it in gameplay for the same reason we dont see the ammo pouches the 10+ magazines they carry for their weapons; engine limitations.
> > > > HOWEVER; GEN 2 armor (and theoretically Chief’s MK VI Cortana Mod) have built-in sheaths in the gauntlets for the knives. So it literally comes out of the armor’s wrist.
> > >
> > > So what you’re saying is that Master Chief’s full name may be John Auditore?
> >
> > With a couple more random fancy sounding Italian names in there somewhere, probably.
> > I mean…Eridanius II wasn’t EXPLICITLY founded by people from one country…
> >
> > In all seriousness though, its not QUITE like a hidden blade, since those are spring loaded and made more for a forward stabbing motion. MJLONIR knive holders send the blade out handle-first so that the Spartan can start stabbing as needed. Mind you, having hidden blades in MJLONIR would be COOL (and kind of is a thing, since in Collateral Damage Fred’s skunkworks MJLONIR suit has ballistic blades), but its not yet a thing.
>
> So do you have to draw it or is it like this?
> https://assassinscreed.fandom.com/de/wiki/Versteckte_Klinge/Galerie(I can’t figure out how to link the image directly, it’s the second one on this page)

Like that, I would assume, but it ejects the entire knife, handle first, out into the Spartan’s hand.

In Halo Legends, Fred can be seen drawing his knife from a hidden sheath in the shoulder pauldron of his armor. That seems likely for the early Mjolnir generations.

> 2533274802263893;18:
> In Halo Legends, Fred can be seen drawing his knife from a hidden sheath in the shoulder pauldron of his armor. That seems likely for the early Mjolnir generations.

Yeah I saw that and was considering that option. But looking closely at assassination animations, the way he holds the knife (knife in the opposite side of thumb) suggests he pulls it from from his lower area.

Believe it or not, but my line of work requires me to wear a sheathed knife, although I’m not an augmented Spartan, I have experimented with location of my knife in regards to ease of pulling it out, not have to make any adjustments but go straight into my task.

So, in viewing the animations, it seems he would be pulling it from his hip, the backside of his waist (which also makes it in reach of both hands), or perhaps sheathed into his thigh plating. The problem with the animations is that the knife just suddenly appears in his hand.

Hmm, I wonder if it could be swithchbladed into his gauntlet?

Cheers,
Brad

What if there are hidden knives all over the armor?! Like in the heel of their boots, or the top of the helmet? Maybe some throwing knives or shuriken, too. Just kidding.
The gauntlet sounds like the best locations that makes the most sense.