Master Chief's face

Since 343 is now making a new Halo trilogy, do you think they will show Johns face in any one of the new games? Do you want them too? Personally, I don’t, but thats only my opinion. Discuss.

No. i think the whole reason we dont see his face is so people can imagine that they are him. (i also think this the reason he is called john (john doe, unidentified male))

> No. i think the whole reason we dont see his face is so people can imagine that they are him. (i also think this the reason he is called john (john doe, unidentified male))

Agreed. Also, people have their own unique views on the Chief, and showing his face my change or destroy the way people view him.

I was never a big fan of “let’s make a shallow character so you can pretend to be him” approach. I’d much rather have a well-devolped character that you can relate to. We know John has character, but only from outside of the games. I wasn’t a fan of the Rookie not having a voice even though he would be spoken to directly. At least they rectified that with Noble Six.

I guess what I’m saying is, to me, it doesn’t really matter if they show his face or not (of course it would be cool to see) as long as his character is developed more. I personally feel that the days of the silent protagonist are nearing an end. At least for genres that make sense.

I’m a big fan of Master Chief being known only by his helmet in the Halo games, it’s a smart (besides cool-looking) way to reflect how his character is very much a machine, a tool made solely for Humanity’s survival. But then there’s those few times where you the light of Cortana reflecting in his visor and you know… there is at least one more aspect to that character… He’s a big romantic on the inside. :slight_smile:

In the expanded universe though, I like how they’ve shown a lot of hints of what he looks like (at least an adult - they’ve shown him clearly as a child). I think that works for the EU. And having that makes a nice compromise for the fans who DO want to see his face, and those who don’t (in the games).

Ive read before somewhere in Bungie.net that Master Chief has freckles and read hair.

<4 <343

I always imagined him as having dark, short brown hair with maybe a beard kind of like Jorge.

> No. i think the whole reason we dont see his face is so people can imagine that they are him. (i also think this the reason he is called john (john doe, unidentified male))

That’s a poor excuse. The Master Chief isn’t a silent protagonist. He speaks in cut-scenes which confirms he is a man. He has a proper back story. His name is John, he’s white and has brown hair and freckles. Unless you meet those requirements you are not Master Chief.

He is his own man. And I think at some point we should see his face. Even if it’s the very last scene of Halo 6.

> > No. i think the whole reason we dont see his face is so people can imagine that they are him. (i also think this the reason he is called john (john doe, unidentified male))
>
> That’s a poor excuse. The Master Chief isn’t a silent protagonist. He speaks in cut-scenes which confirms he is a man. He has a proper back story. His name is John, he’s white and has brown hair and freckles. Unless you meet those requirements you are not Master Chief.
>
> He is his own man. And I think at some point we should see his face. Even if it’s the very last scene of Halo 6.

Freckles? Chief can keep the helmet on.

> > > No. i think the whole reason we dont see his face is so people can imagine that they are him. (i also think this the reason he is called john (john doe, unidentified male))
> >
> > That’s a poor excuse. The Master Chief isn’t a silent protagonist. He speaks in cut-scenes which confirms he is a man. He has a proper back story. His name is John, he’s white and has brown hair and freckles. Unless you meet those requirements you are not Master Chief.
> >
> > He is his own man. And I think at some point we should see his face. Even if it’s the very last scene of Halo 6.
>
> Freckles? Chief can keep the helmet on.

Well he had freckles when he was a kid.

Maybe when Halo is done and over with they can show his face(probably 30 yrs from now after they rebooted the series lol)

i imagine the chief to look like this

John is very pale with short brown hair (probably at civilian lenght now) five o clock shadow (cause he hasn’t shave in a while)

He has a scar under his right eye.

I’m perfectly fine not seeing the Chief’s face.

In the beginning of the book, The Fall Of Reach it briefly describes the chief as a kid.

No, I do not think they should ever show his face, he’s had his face hidden for ten+ years now, you could say that has essentially become part of his character. I think it adds to the mystery and appeal of the character to not let us see his face and leave it up to our imaginations. Just because we don’t see his face does not make him a weak character or mean that it’s weak story telling. John is meant to be faceless because he is the “everyman”, he is his own character, but he really could be anybody, that is one of the purposes to leave him faceless. I don’t need a face to identify with someone, like for instance I completely adore Tali from the Mass Effect games and really just love her character, yet we haven’t seen her face. Why do we need to see Master Chief’s face? I haven’t really seen any good reasons other than “I want to see it”.

i imange him with a mustache short brown hair and blue eyes

No they won’t, maybe in the last ever halo game with Master Chief but apart from that you only have this description.

Short brown hair, a strong jaw, serious eyes, a firm mouth and really, really white skin.

He HAD freckles when he was a kid. The books don’t say anything about having freckles at the age of 42 :stuck_out_tongue:

They’ll never show his face. When I signed the deals with Bungie and Microsoft I told them they could make a videogame based on me but they were never allowed to show my face.

> I’m a big fan of Master Chief being known only by his helmet in the Halo games, it’s a smart (besides cool-looking) way to reflect how his character is very much a machine, a tool made solely for Humanity’s survival. But then there’s those few times where you the light of Cortana reflecting in his visor and you know… there is at least one more aspect to that character… He’s a big romantic on the inside. :slight_smile:
>
> In the expanded universe though, I like how they’ve shown a lot of hints of what he looks like (at least an adult - they’ve shown him clearly as a child). I think that works for the EU. And having that makes a nice compromise for the fans who DO want to see his face, and those who don’t (in the games).

This