Master Chief's Conclusion

How do you think Chief’s story could or should end? Should it have ended at Halo 3? Me personally, ending his story at Halo 3 would be a good way to go. It has a great ending and leaves the audience to decide what happens next. Does he get recovered by the UNSC? Does he drift into space to never be found again? I could say a lot about how Halo 3 and how it should have been the ending of Chief but I also enjoyed Halo 4 enough to want see the next chapter of him. Basically, I enjoy what 343 wanted to do with the story despite Halo 5’s ups and downs. Chief can still have a story to be told and it’s up to 343 to show that. What are your thoughts?

I think 343i, left to their own decisions, can create a great story. I love Halo 4. I’m still a little picky about a few things in 5, but overall I like 5 and I’m confident that 343i will do a good job with John. Personally, I would want the series to “end” with an emotional catharsis rather than some epic boss fight (although I do want boss fights throughout the game). After that, I wouldn’t mind seeing Halo get a reboot, or a new main character, but I want John (and Cortana) to at least get the ending he deserves after all of the horrible things he’s seen and experienced.

> 2535415966174493;2:
> I think 343i, left to their own decisions, can create a great story. I love Halo 4. I’m still a little picky about a few things in 5, but overall I like 5 and I’m confident that 343i will do a good job with John. Personally, I would want the series to “end” with an emotional catharsis rather than some epic boss fight (although I do want boss fights throughout the game). After that, I wouldn’t mind seeing Halo get a reboot, or a new main character, but I want John (and Cortana) to at least get the ending he deserves after all of the horrible things he’s seen and experienced.

The word, “reboot” makes me bristle, but I agree with the rest of what you said. My ideal ending for Master Chief’s story would be for the gameplay to culminate in an epic boss battle (actually played, not quick-time or cutscene) after which we get the closing cutscenes where he decides he’s done fighting. His final scene would be visiting the Voi Memorial before he turns around and walks away, as our view pans up to orbit where we see new ships being constructed, and fleets being launched into Slipspace, end-scene.

It gives the big fight, it gives the quiet ending, and it gives a clear break for Master Chief to leave the story without killing him. It also shows that the universe goes on without him in a way that leaves the story open for new games where he isn’t the protagonist, but without making any new protagonist try to be a MC-2.0.

Repost from a smart, edgy, handsome, and emotionally-, intellectually-, and spiritually-balanced fellow in another thread:

> 2678033349858034;4:
> Right, so, strap in.
>
> When I had finished Halo 4, when I’d read Silentium and Mortal Dictata (as well as, y’know, the rest of the books in those trilogies), I reflected on Halo Legends’ episode, Origins Part 2. I don’t think it’s ever been made clear to me the intention behind some of the imagery used, but there is a point at which the things we are shown clearly do not line up with the events of Halo up to the point of that video’s creation (Reach wasn’t even out yet), and I took that to be a sort of roadmap. Like an early, rough peek at the ideas that Frank O’Connor and whoever else formed the 343 story team were thinking for the franchise. So I was thinking about Kilo Five, Forerunner Saga, Origins Part 2, and Halo 4. What follows is the general arc I felt loosely (absurdly) confident was at least loosely similar to what would happen.
>
> I figured that the Reclaimer Trilogy would be an examination and rejection of the Mantle. Halo 4 had John begin as a soldier and end as a superhero – further emphasized in Escalation by his wanton unwillingness to take shore leave. I supposed that Halo 5 and 6 would involve Bornstellar, the Librarian, the Didact and Serin Osman all presenting to Chief differing versions of how to maintain the galaxy. Even the Gravemind would offer his own take, and I supposed he would tempt Chief with actual or a copy of Cortana, for some purpose or another (based on that Origins Part 2 thing). I felt that, ultimately, the Reclaimer Trilogy would come to a head with a full-blown Flood outbreak, and the necessary unification of sangheili, human, jiralhanae, unggoy, kig-yar, and Bornstellar-led forerunner forces to bring peace. Chief, like the Arbiter, would surrender the soldier’s life for the life of a leader; he would become something much like the Lord of Admirals of the ancient humans, and would push for a sort of interspecies council to maintain the Mantle of Responsibility.
>
> That’s how I saw his story ending. Despite his claims to wanting to die in battle, I felt John’s story was one of a real leader being born, and that when his story ended he would become a stick-around NPC in the background for the “next generation” protagonist. I suppose that could mostly still happen. For him to die in battle strikes me as too straightforward.

I think in the end he should just leave Humanity and travel somewhere far away searching for a meaning in his life…

> 2535408214431341;5:
> I think in the end he should just leave Humanity and travel somewhere far away searching for a meaning in his life…

with Cortana.

> 2535415966174493;2:
> I think 343i, left to their own decisions, can create a great story. I love Halo 4. I’m still a little picky about a few things in 5, but overall I like 5 and I’m confident that 343i will do a good job with John. Personally, I would want the series to “end” with an emotional catharsis rather than some epic boss fight (although I do want boss fights throughout the game). After that, I wouldn’t mind seeing Halo get a reboot, or a new main character, but I want John (and Cortana) to at least get the ending he deserves after all of the horrible things he’s seen and experienced.

I know Destiny sort of pushed Halo into going to boss fights, but I’m not a fan. Halo used to stack an army against you and make you fight your way through. I loved that. You know where you stood, even with the ultra Elites at the back with their swords ready to rock. When a shield got popped, you were good to go. This Warden Eternal -Yoink- is not for me.
John deserves the ending, but sadly that’s got to be a soldier’s death, right? You can’t retire the Chief. They can either put him in stasis and roll him out when they dream up a new enemy for the universe’s future (my preferred option), or they have to kill him off. John-117 sitting behind a desk just isn’t going to work.
Of course, the 3rd option is that Spartans never die, so he and Cortana can go MIA 4eva.

> 2678033349858034;4:
> Repost from a smart, edgy, handsome, and emotionally-, intellectually-, and spiritually-balanced fellow in another thread:
>
>
> > 2678033349858034;4:
> > Right, so, strap in.
> >
> > When I had finished Halo 4, when I’d read Silentium and Mortal Dictata (as well as, y’know, the rest of the books in those trilogies), I reflected on Halo Legends’ episode, Origins Part 2. I don’t think it’s ever been made clear to me the intention behind some of the imagery used, but there is a point at which the things we are shown clearly do not line up with the events of Halo up to the point of that video’s creation (Reach wasn’t even out yet), and I took that to be a sort of roadmap. Like an early, rough peek at the ideas that Frank O’Connor and whoever else formed the 343 story team were thinking for the franchise. So I was thinking about Kilo Five, Forerunner Saga, Origins Part 2, and Halo 4. What follows is the general arc I felt loosely (absurdly) confident was at least loosely similar to what would happen.
> >
> > I figured that the Reclaimer Trilogy would be an examination and rejection of the Mantle. Halo 4 had John begin as a soldier and end as a superhero – further emphasized in Escalation by his wanton unwillingness to take shore leave. I supposed that Halo 5 and 6 would involve Bornstellar, the Librarian, the Didact and Serin Osman all presenting to Chief differing versions of how to maintain the galaxy. Even the Gravemind would offer his own take, and I supposed he would tempt Chief with actual or a copy of Cortana, for some purpose or another (based on that Origins Part 2 thing). I felt that, ultimately, the Reclaimer Trilogy would come to a head with a full-blown Flood outbreak, and the necessary unification of sangheili, human, jiralhanae, unggoy, kig-yar, and Bornstellar-led forerunner forces to bring peace. Chief, like the Arbiter, would surrender the soldier’s life for the life of a leader; he would become something much like the Lord of Admirals of the ancient humans, and would push for a sort of interspecies council to maintain the Mantle of Responsibility.
> >
> > That’s how I saw his story ending. Despite his claims to wanting to die in battle, I felt John’s story was one of a real leader being born, and that when his story ended he would become a stick-around NPC in the background for the “next generation” protagonist. I suppose that could mostly still happen. For him to die in battle strikes me as too straightforward.

good stuff

He goes out like a legend…

How should Chief go out? I say him and Blue Team go off and do their own missions without the UNSC tracking them. Easy way to write him off without killing him.

> 2533274883501878;3:
> > 2535415966174493;2:
> > I think 343i, left to their own decisions, can create a great story. I love Halo 4. I’m still a little picky about a few things in 5, but overall I like 5 and I’m confident that 343i will do a good job with John. Personally, I would want the series to “end” with an emotional catharsis rather than some epic boss fight (although I do want boss fights throughout the game). After that, I wouldn’t mind seeing Halo get a reboot, or a new main character, but I want John (and Cortana) to at least get the ending he deserves after all of the horrible things he’s seen and experienced.
>
> The word, “reboot” makes me bristle, but I agree with the rest of what you said. My ideal ending for Master Chief’s story would be for the gameplay to culminate in an epic boss battle (actually played, not quick-time or cutscene) after which we get the closing cutscenes where he decides he’s done fighting. His final scene would be visiting the Voi Memorial before he turns around and walks away, as our view pans up to orbit where we see new ships being constructed, and fleets being launched into Slipspace, end-scene.
>
> It gives the big fight, it gives the quiet ending, and it gives a clear break for Master Chief to leave the story without killing him. It also shows that the universe goes on without him in a way that leaves the story open for new games where he isn’t the protagonist, but without making any new protagonist try to be a MC-2.0.

This is an awesome way to end the story. I think he deserves a quiet ending. he deserves happiness.

Honestly, I think Chief’s story should end with Cortana. He should go out with a blast in such a way that even the most stoic person would cry in respect. I don’t have enough characters to write down exactly how I think it should go but that’s the summary of it.

I for one hope he dies in a blaze of glory that saves the universe and ends the Halo saga.