Master Chief's Acting Skills

Or lack of, as it happens.

I’m not talking about the voice actor, Steve Downes? (I think.) I’m talking about how the Master Chief is suddenly the hammiest ham in all of Ham County. Billy Dee Williams, eat your heart out. I swear, suddenly Master Chief is miming everything he’s saying. Watch the opening cutscene of Two Betrayals and TRY not to laugh. When MC says, “…we can wipe them out,” and he’s moving his arm (you know, wiping them out, eh? eh?), I swear I nearly died.

Actually, I love, love, love what 343/Saber did with Master Chief’s acting. But some of you might not like it. I am a firm supporter of it, though.

PS: Keyes is also in on the joke. Not as good as the Chief, but he gives him a run for his money.

I’ve realized that before. 343i and Saber I think were trying to keep the same motions from the original which is just as bad.

I like how at the end of two betrayals in the ending cinematic he’s just heading toward that structure when he said lets get out of here, basically about to hit a wall then Cortana says her bit and he’s like woops wrong way.

On the other hand, sometimes the Chief can be pretty good. On 343 Guilty Spark, when he’s about to open the door and find Jenkins, but he hears something suspicious and whirls around to find nothing… and his fingers do that tapping thing; that was pretty cool. Just added to the tension a lot.

The Chief is now a situational actor, certain cutscenes he looks fine, first trip the the POA bridge, second cutscene of 343 Guilty Spark, the Maw ending cutscene, or horrible, Two Betrayals opening cutscene comes to mind immediately, but there are some others I think I’m missing. Some of his animations are now way over the top, though smooth. The Chief’s original animations are minimalistic and robotic, mainly due to the time the game was created, yet they fit his personality well. Even in Halo 2 and 3, the Chief’s animations were minimalistic and a little robotic, but looked great.

> Or lack of, as it happens.
>
> I’m not talking about the voice actor, Steve Downes? (I think.) I’m talking about how the Master Chief is suddenly the hammiest ham in all of Ham County. Billy Dee Williams, eat your heart out. I swear, suddenly Master Chief is miming everything he’s saying. Watch the opening cutscene of Two Betrayals and TRY not to laugh. When MC says, “…we can wipe them out,” and he’s moving his arm (you know, wiping them out, eh? eh?), I swear I nearly died.
>
> Actually, I love, love, love what 343/Saber did with Master Chief’s acting. But some of you might not like it. I am a firm supporter of it, though.
>
> PS: Keyes is also in on the joke. Not as good as the Chief, but he gives him a run for his money.

Yeah I saw it and laughed my ACE off.

Can’t wait for common sens- I mean, Halo 4.

not trying to sound offending (for some reason i think it might) but i dont really see the humor :confused: idk, i havnt noticed it that much. it has to be drastic in order for me to notice that i could literally laugh my -Yoink- off

It’s terrible. Most cutscenes he’s just aimlessly bobbing his head.

> not trying to sound offending (for some reason i think it might) but i dont really see the humor :confused: idk, i havnt noticed it that much. it has to be drastic in order for me to notice that i could literally laugh my -Yoink!- off

No, it’s cool man.

If you’re not seeing it, I recommend watching the cutscenes first in the original CE version, then restarting the level to watch it in the CEA version. Master Chief is so much more animated, oftentimes going hilariously over the top.

> > not trying to sound offending (for some reason i think it might) but i dont really see the humor :confused: idk, i havnt noticed it that much. it has to be drastic in order for me to notice that i could literally laugh my -Yoink!- off
>
> No, it’s cool man.
>
> If you’re not seeing it, I recommend watching the cutscenes first in the original CE version, then restarting the level to watch it in the CEA version. Master Chief is so much more animated, oftentimes going hilariously over the top.

I think watching the Halo 3 Master Chief in cutscenes and then watching the Anniversary Master Chief in cutscenes would be a more apt comparison. Then you’ve got a modernized Master Chief showing how the character SHOULD act, and then you’ve got a supposedly even more modern Master Chief acting overexpressive and at the same time utterly stiff. Master Chief was perfect in Halo 3.

> It’s terrible. Most cutscenes he’s just aimlessly bobbing his head.

“Is that how they talk? They look ridiculous!”

I noticed that and didn’t think anything of it at first. But now that you mention it, it is pretty hilarious!

I think it depends on the cutscene and the movement. The “slow down” gesture in Two Betrayals looked great, while the rest seemed a bit off. Chief’s movements in the helmet-cam cutscene in 343GS were well-done IMO. Chief wasn’t all that bad, overall.

Cortana, on the other hand,…

>
> I’m not talking about the voice actor, Steve Downes? (I think.) I’m talking about how the Master Chief is suddenly the hammiest ham in all of Ham County. Billy Dee Williams, eat your heart out. I swear, suddenly Master Chief is miming everything he’s saying. Watch the opening cutscene of Two Betrayals and TRY not to laugh. When MC says, “…we can wipe them out,” and he’s moving his arm (you know, wiping them out, eh? eh?), I swear I nearly died.
>
> Actually, I love, love, love what 343/Saber did with Master Chief’s acting. But some of you might not like it. I am a firm supporter of it, though.
>
> PS: Keyes is also in on the joke. Not as good as the Chief, but he gives him a run for his money.

The first time I saw CE 10 years ago, the first cutscene in which Keyes puts his hand to his chin and looks at the monitors I laughed. But back then it was a lot more forgiving case the technology was still evolving.

As for the modern cutscenes I didn’t notice MC’s overacting cause I can’t stop staring at his toddler sized hands.

Also, be careful saying anything critical about CE. For a lot of people CE is their sacred cow.

Given a choice between them, I still prefer the original animations, which seemed a lot more believable with the Chief’s character rather than the overly expressive ham of Anniversary. That said, I’m not averse to his hamming it up in the new graphics at all, I quite enjoyed a different take!

> I think it depends on the cutscene and the movement. The “slow down” gesture in Two Betrayals looked great, while the rest seemed a bit off. Chief’s movements in the helmet-cam cutscene in 343GS were well-done IMO. Chief wasn’t all that bad, overall.
>
> Cortana, on the other hand,…

Oh, man, Cortana was so jerky and stiff. I’m pretty sure it was a technical limitation and 343/Saber couldn’t get around it, but man. Chick was messed up.

Yeah, you kinda have to agree that cortanas motions/movements looked fake…very fake espesially twards the end of the opening cutscene on two betrails.

> I think watching the Halo 3 Master Chief in cutscenes and then watching the Anniversary Master Chief in cutscenes would be a more apt comparison. Then you’ve got a modernized Master Chief showing how the character SHOULD act, and then you’ve got a supposedly even more modern Master Chief acting overexpressive and at the same time utterly stiff. Master Chief was perfect in Halo 3.

You’re right, Halo 3’s cutscenes, especially the one after you find Cortana, are amazing. It almost made one of the worst levels ever (for me) worth it. Almost.

>
>
>

but they totally failed with cortana -.- AvP2 had better char movements… :wink: