Master Chief?

You would think after 30 years of service, being awarded every award in the UNSC, and the whole saving the human race time and time again you would think the poor guy would have received a Battle Field Promotion by now. Come on, is it right that Commander Palmer outranks humanities hero? “some people might get the sarcasm in this, others, well that is what this last sentence is for”

he is a soldier, making him a general would be a waste of resources and assets. why bother.

Actually he is the highest rank in the UNSC Navy (Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy)

Its basically one of the highest ranks of the Navy, “They constitute the top 1% of the enlisted members of the maritime forces.”

Not a General off course, but at least a Major, than again it is not like the pay increase would matter to him. What the hell would he spend on the extra money anyways. Hell, we have been watching the Chief now and the guy apparently never eats, showers, changes his clothes, he either killing aliens or in cryo sleep.

He’s a non-commissioned officer, specifically he has the rank of “Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy” which is the absolute highest rank a non-commissioned officer can attain.

If the UNSC navy is anything like the modern US navy in rank structure then he has attained a position which only one person at a time may hold.

Commander Palmer as well as Carter and Noble Six were all commissioned officers having gone through officer training and the academy.

> Its basically one of the highest ranks of the Navy, “They constitute the top 1% of the enlisted members of the maritime forces.”

Promotion was misused, should have said Battle Feild Commission

Beginning of Halo 5

‘I, Lord Hood, hereby promote Master Chief Petty Officer Third Class to Master Chief Badass Officer over 9000 class. A rank equivelant to whatever is higher than Admiral; if there is no such rank, there is now.’

Again, it is really just sarcasm, I am well aware that during the development of the charter they went with “Master Chief” because it stood out, as Bungie put it “sounded cool” and has a ring to it. Think how different it would have been calling Master Chief “Command Sergeant Major” just doesn’t sound the same. Also, as far as rank structure goes, other than Del Rio we have never seen anyone try to pull rank in the Chief, I guess when you are a 8 ft tall 300lbs cyborg super soldier your pay grade really doesn’t matter. =D

> Also, as far as rank structure goes, other than Del Rio we have never seen anyone try to pull rank in the Chief, I guess when you are a 8 ft tall 300lbs cyborg super soldier your pay grade really doesn’t matter. =D

Actually in the US navy the rank of Master Chief carries with it alot of respect and even ship Captains will occasionally call on the MCPO for advice or suggestions.
Now an MCPON? That’s as close to hero rank as one can be as a non-commissioned officer.

Master Chief Galactic Overlord lvl 131

> Not a General off course, but at least a Major, than again it is not like the pay increase would matter to him. What the hell would he spend on the extra money anyways. Hell, we have been watching the Chief now and the guy apparently never eats, showers, changes his clothes, he either killing aliens or in cryo sleep.

It would be absurd to think that just because we’ve never seen him do it that he never does.
Perhaps Master Chief sitting down for a sandwich isn’t interesting enough?

> > Not a General off course, but at least a Major, than again it is not like the pay increase would matter to him. What the hell would he spend on the extra money anyways. Hell, we have been watching the Chief now and the guy apparently never eats, showers, changes his clothes, he either killing aliens or in cryo sleep.
>
> It would be absurd to think that just because we’ve never seen him do it that he never does.
> Perhaps Master Chief sitting down for a sandwich isn’t interesting enough?

Him sitting down eating a sandwish would be very interesting because we have never seen him without a helmet, at the end of 4 he had about 500 UNSC personal stop doing what ever they were doing as they looked in awe when his armor was removed. And guys, again, I am joking, I was sick of all “nerf this or that” and “Halo is dying threads” so I figured we switch it up with a pointless thread that is fun. Really, if he did receive a battle field commission what would we call him “Major John 117”? Actually, that does sound cool

He’s the master chief petty officer. Thats the highest rank in spartan.

It is the highest enlisted rank, however, technically a 2nd Lieutenant right out of the academy out ranks him, but after 40 years of saving all mankind and reaching a god like status in the UNSC I doubt any young Officer would point that out to the Chief. Unless they are a -Yoink- like CPT Del Rio of course, but his disagreement with the Chief lead to him being relieved of his command.

> Beginning of Halo 5
>
> ‘I, Lord Hood, hereby promote Master Chief Petty Officer Third Class to Master Chief Badass Officer over 9000 class. A rank equivelant to whatever is higher than Admiral; if there is no such rank, there is now.’

I had a good laugh at that.
As for the people talking about a higher pay grade…What exactly do you think Chief is going to do with more money? He’s a NCO( Non Commissioned Officer) NCO’s see way more action than any Officers. promoting him would be useless imo. why take chief off the field and give him a desk job? ( not saying that all officers are desk jockies)

> It is the highest enlisted rank, however, technically a 2nd Lieutenant right out of the academy out ranks him, but after 40 years of saving all mankind and reaching a god like status in the UNSC I doubt any young Officer would point that out to the Chief. Unless they are a -Yoink!- like CPT Del Rio of course, but his disagreement with the Chief lead to him being relieved of his command.

[Lord Hood]: So…Del Rio, You disagreed with Chief?
[Del Rio]: uh, sir. his judgement and Cortan-
[Lord Hood]: Did you or did you not…
[Del Rio]: Yes Sir
[Lord Hood]: I hereby strip you of your rank for endangering all of humanity, and removing you from service for disagreeing with the man who saved HumanKind MULTIPLE times.
[Del Rio]: …

> > Beginning of Halo 5
> >
> > ‘I, Lord Hood, hereby promote Master Chief Petty Officer Third Class to Master Chief Badass Officer over 9000 class. A rank equivelant to whatever is higher than Admiral; if there is no such rank, there is now.’
>
> I had a good laugh at that.
> As for the people talking about a higher pay grade…What exactly do you think Chief is going to do with more money? He’s a NCO( Non Commissioned Officer) NCO’s see way more action than any Officers. promoting him would be useless imo. why take chief off the field and give him a desk job? ( not saying that all officers are desk jockies)
>
> That will be saved for Halo 7, Master Chief becomes the handler for a new Spartan, he is no longer a playable charter but gives commands over the com links, and than in Halo 9 becomes a playable charter once again because our new young hero was captured and General John 117 saves mankind one last time.

I duno. It would feed wierd if chief was a general. He’s a respected officer, but he’s still a soldier who can be related to. And remember, he has believed to be dead for 4 years. I just wonder if hood is still around.

There’s no way he’d receive a battlefield commission. He has no need to directly command troops he’s currently serving with, which is the only case in which he’d receive a commission. It would not be out of order, though, for him to be promoted to Warrant Officer. There is precidence for this in the actual military, where former enlisted personnel need to be promoted to a position where they cannot be ordered around by lower ranking officers. A good example of this are pilots and aircrew, and special forces operators. Members of Noble team are at LEAST Warrant Officers, including Jorge (another SPARTAN II).

Truthfully, it makes a lot of sense to make Chief a Warrant Officer, given his service. MCPON is an honorary title anyway (in his case), and he could be promoted to Chief Warrant Officer, thus allowing him to still be called Chief. This would put him on a level above all other Spartan officers and enlisted except for Palmer (if he falls under her command).