master chief speaking in game play

anyone else love this, you can see it in the campaign e3 vid, where he says “what was that?” i love this, its so awesome it really pulls me into the game.

Yeah I like it, he finally talks more.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not create alternate accounts to bypass forum bans. Alternate accounts will be permanently banned, and offending users will be subject to both temporary and permanent bans.

*Original post, click at your own discretion.

Nope, because I’m not impressed with one liners.

>

Then lets replace “What was that” with " Did you hear that strange noise. It makes me wonder what its origin was". One liners are chiefs thing.

It’s good. I like the chemistry between Cortana and the Chief, especially the banter they have.

About damn time. Not enough shooters do this and it’s at the cost character development to be honest. It’s hard to invest in a character and believe he’s a person (however fictional) when he doesn’t talk during gameplay. It’s really odd when a character asks if you acknowledge them or orders given but your character (Chief in this instance) does not reply in anyway. Not even a nod.

Hardly anyone wants a chatty Chief but it’s nice to know he’s a person and can talk beyond cutscenes. Plus he’s going to be talking to several support characters like Cortana, Captain Del Rio or perhaps other Spartan VIs/UNSC Marines and having him talk would create more dialogue and banter between characters.

I remember in Reach when you preview his Firefight voice he says: “What are you looking at?”

He should’ve said that line when that Forerunner Knight shows his orange glowing skull in Chief’s face.

> About damn time. Not enough shooters do this and it’s at the cost character development to be honest. It’s hard to invest in a character and believe he’s a person (however fictional) when he doesn’t talk during gameplay. It’s really odd when a character asks if you acknowledge them or orders given but your character (Chief in this instance) does not reply in anyway. Not even a nod.
>
> Hardly anyone wants a chatty Chief but it’s nice to know he’s a person and can talk beyond cutscenes. Plus he’s going to be talking to several support characters like Cortana, Captain Del Rio or perhaps other Spartan VIs/UNSC Marines and having him talk would create more dialogue and banter between characters.

I’m glad he is talking beyond cutscenes. Originally when 343i said he was going to be speaking more, but not to the point where he is doing monologues, I was curious how much speaking would he really do. But I feel like 343 may have a good balance of this. Chief should at least acknowledge someone is talking to him. Even in the book series, when he is working with Spartans, he gives out commands because he is a leader. In the video games he was more so a lone wolf and im curious how he will adapt and communicate with Spartan IV’s. Will he treat them like the Spartan II’s or be silent with them.

> > About damn time. Not enough shooters do this and it’s at the cost character development to be honest. It’s hard to invest in a character and believe he’s a person (however fictional) when he doesn’t talk during gameplay. It’s really odd when a character asks if you acknowledge them or orders given but your character (Chief in this instance) does not reply in anyway. Not even a nod.
> >
> > Hardly anyone wants a chatty Chief but it’s nice to know he’s a person and can talk beyond cutscenes. Plus he’s going to be talking to several support characters like Cortana, Captain Del Rio or perhaps other Spartan VIs/UNSC Marines and having him talk would create more dialogue and banter between characters.
>
> I’m glad he is talking beyond cutscenes. Originally when 343i said he was going to be speaking more, but not to the point where he is doing monologues, I was curious how much speaking would he really do. But I feel like 343 may have a good balance of this. Chief should at least acknowledge someone is talking to him. Even in the book series, when he is working with Spartans, he gives out commands because he is a leader. In the video games he was more so a lone wolf and im curious how he will adapt and communicate with Spartan IV’s. Will he treat them like the Spartan II’s or be silent with them.

Military operations involving teams against an unknown, pissed off ancient threat is going to require some socialization of some kind. I am pretty sure Cortana and Chief will be issuing orders and talking to other characters. :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s going to be very interesting seeing such interactions with other Spartans. Sure we’ve seen Noble Team but i think 343 can do a lot more to flesh out such encounters from Chief’s perspective.

> >
>
> Then lets replace “What was that” with " Did you hear that strange noise. It makes me wonder what its origin was". One liners are chiefs thing.

I think this may be the first time a post on the forum made my laugh out loud! :smiley:

Parents looking at me like I’m crazy…

OT, he’s never talked in gameplay, has he? It’s about time…

What’s wrong with one liners? What else would you say in the middle of hostile territory? Quick and to the point is key.

It’s easy forget that for the majority of his life MC was the leader, he was the one giving orders. In the games he’s super quiet so people who know none of his backstory assume he’s a lone wolf quiet badass, when really he’s only quiet because most of his family had just been killed.

A leader has to be able to communicate well. Can’t do that if you never talk.

> OT, he’s never talked in gameplay, has he? It’s about time…

Nope. Halo 4 marks the first time Chief talks to anyone in game.

> What’s wrong with one liners? What else would you say in the middle of hostile territory? Quick and to the point is key.

The only thing you can say in unknown, hostile environment with even more pissed off AI constructs

>

I takr it you’ve never seen The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air then…

I loved it in ODST when your character talked during the Campaign. It’s stupid in the other Halo games where an ally comes up to talk to you and Chief or Arbiter says nothing back, basically ignoring them. In ODST, your character actually talks to the Marines during the missions. It makes the characters feel more real.

I absolutely love it.

I like it,anexample of inputting [book] canon into the camapign…In books,MC talks ALOT more…

The part where he said “hostiles” was unnecessary. Cortana already labeled them as hostiles, I don’t need to hear it twice lol.

> What’s wrong with one liners? What else would you say in the middle of hostile territory? Quick and to the point is key.
>
> It’s easy forget that for the majority of his life MC was the leader, he was the one giving orders. In the games he’s super quiet so people who know none of his backstory assume he’s a lone wolf quiet badass, when really he’s only quiet because most of his family had just been killed.
>
> A leader has to be able to communicate well. Can’t do that if you never talk.

This. When he’s all alone, he has no one to lead, ultimately meaning he has little to say. But hearing him bring a smile to my face

> The part where he said “hostiles” was unnecessary. Cortana already labeled them as hostiles, I don’t need to hear it twice lol.

True… But he has been sleeping for 4 Years. So even though he doesn’t talk much, he has some catching up to do.