Master CHief looks awful...

As a Design student, I completely understand art evolution; but after looking at the update of the model I have serious concerns.

  • He doesn’t relate to the Master Chief from previous games. Seems like he has lost his identity.

  • Looks out of proportion, especially around the hips. I think it’s the contrast of the under suit and bulky exterior. Plus the armour is very disconnected and chunky. Not as a “suit-like” in previous games.

  • The shoulder pads look like CQB/Recon pads. Or in other words, ugly.

  • WTF at his shoes and crotch. Looks worse than the trailer; they just look very odd and stupid.

  • His helmet is very very bulbous at the top. Looks like a mushroom.

  • The Air tanks on his back look silly, too big plus hinting to a fact that you have thruster/Jetpacks usable. Oh dear.

Just a few obvious points; I’m hoping this a Halo: CEA deal. Where he looked -Yoink- at the start, but improved a lot. The model really seams ugly.

Sorry 343i not a fan.

I can see where you’re coming from, but I like his new look. Not as much as the transition from Halo 1 to 2, but good enough, I suppose.

Edited by Moderator - Please do not post spam.

It’s a TOY. And a prototype, at that.

I’m going to stick to what I’ve been saying in a lot of these kind of post’s.armor looks good but someone needs to feed the chief.going to make my own campaign,the “feed the chief” campaign. He lost like 20 pounds of muscle from 3 to 4 I don’t understand, give the man a sandwich.

Best armor so far.

If by “awful” you mean “amazing”, then I agree.

As a halo fan who absolutely hates halo fanboys, I actually like the armor. I see where you are coming from, and I didn’t really like it at first, but it has really grown on me and I think it looks pretty badass.

Turn off your nostalgia, please, you’re embarrassing yourself.

There is nothing drastically different from Chief’s Halo 2 and 3 armor. It maintains the exact same style, and it is only slightly different. Accept change.

I like it for the most part.

Pretty much every point that you just made is coming from your opinion. Why would you be posting this if you knew other people would disagree with you? Some people hate it, some people love it. I happen to be in the group that is really liking the new look.

Anyway, I can pretty much guarantee that when Halo 4 launches and you play it for awhile, the new look will just grow on you and you will forget that you ever made this thread.

> Turn off your nostalgia, please, you’re embarrassing yourself.
>
> There is nothing drastically different from Chief’s Halo 2 and 3 armor. It maintains the exact same style, and it is only slightly different. Accept change.

I agree with this completely. Not to mention that it’s a new studio who has a different art style.

In plus, if we were to stick to the same designs as previous games, things would get very stale very fast. From what I’ve seen with John, the Warthog and the Forward Unto Dawn, 343 Industries has kept the same overall design while adding a handful of artistic liberty in there to make it their own, which is great since they’ve done a beautiful job so far.

I agree, it does take way from his identity, since it is a massive change compared to how he looked over the years. But the design doesn’t look THAT bad.

Edited by a moderator. Please refrain from flaming other members.

Honestly, at first I wasn’t really “feeling” the new armor, I had my questions and idk, seemed too drastic, but as I’m gotten use to it, and read this weeks bulletin, it makes sense, I don’t know where people are getting that he looks disproportionate, and it seems like 343i is trying to go for a more realistic military look. Did you read the Bulletin? Did you read what the artist had to say? As of now, I’m a fan of the new armor.

If someone could Photoshop the air tanks off the back, it would look a lot better, and distinctly more “chiefy.”

I am having trouble believing all of you people. How can you possibly like it? I HATE it. It looks nothing like the Master Chief. Something as simple as a different Helmet will ruin the Halo 4 experience for me simply because it is not him and believe me, I don’t give 1 single -Yoink- about what you think of me. This is how I feel and nothing you say or do will change how I feel.

I am very disappointed in 343. I would rather Halo 4 to be a Re-skinned Call of Duty with ADS and Kill Streaks than have Master Chief’s helmet and armour look like it does.

And to anyone reading this. Do not quote me and try be a smart -Yoink-. I don’t care.

> I am having trouble believing all of you people. How can you possibly like it? I HATE it. It looks nothing like the Master Chief. Something as simple as a different Helmet will ruin the Halo 4 experience for me simply because it is not him and believe me, I don’t give 1 single Yoink! about what you think of me. This is how I feel and nothing you say or do will change how I feel.
>
> I am very disappointed in 343. I would rather Halo 4 to be a Re-skinned Call of Duty with ADS and Kill Streaks than have Master Chief’s helmet and armour look like it does.
>
> And to anyone reading this. Do not quote me and try be a smart -Yoink!-. I don’t care.

You would rather have a re-skinned call of duty with killstreaks put into Halo… wow you are literally taking it way too seriously…and I will quote you because that is just god awful reasoning you have there.

Cortana disagrees

I’m not the biggest fan, as an artist myself I can’t imagine who looked at this and said, “Yep that’s good, that’s the one were are going with.”

Lets just start with the basic look of the armor.The first thing that screams out to me is that it’s top heavy, almost as if it has Reach syndrome, where the SPARTANs lost the lengthy athletic look in tern for a more bulky squat, compact, muscular look.

Ona better imageIt also looks like the armor is to small for John, and yet still looks top heavy. Why because he has no neck and the thrusters on the back come up to be almost even with his head, and farther back, the chest just bulks out with no real definition, and this isn’t just on the Toys, this is in the renders and the art.

The shoulder pads set on his biceps instead of moving all the way up to cover his shoulder. The knuckle guards, seem to be a good distance from the forearm, even the finger armor doesn’t segment together like the Mid-evil plate gauntlets their taking inspiration from. Then there is the cod piece with no bet it looks awkward, however why does the [Y] segment, that I believe should be around his hips look like its meant to be stomach armor(?), and there’s this odd little crease where under the 5 dots, where it looks like it should fold under him, Than looking at the back of the armorthere is just a green butt pad, as if its attached to the ‘soft’ suit, and not outer armor, you know like every iteration of Halo Armor. This also lends more credence to the it looks stretched out complaint and as if he’s to big for the armor.

Artistically its a mess too, look at the lines of color, with spartan armor, the black of the ‘soft’ suit is more often than not an accent to the Green/Sage of the armor, that’s fitted to it. Here its a mess, with no real order in its placement. Again looking at his center and hip area, the black is just a blotch, with a green streak in it, and the back is worse. And again look at the neck, there is none, the helmet looks like a mess between the Scout from Halo 3, the HAZOP and MK-VB from Reach. The chest looks like a rejected Gundam design and not the segmented armor from Halo.

I know what they were going for a mix up of this and Halo: CE A it does look like it, only they took out what made that armor look like SPARTAN armor.

If they had to change his armor, why not something off the base of what he had in Halo 3 instead? Like this this looks more futuristic, but looks like John’s armor, its sleek instead of bulky, the black and sand brown offset one another nicely, and the textures add a very nice level of detail. But more importantly it just looks like John I think that’s the biggest thing, I have no problem with them changing his armor, I have a problem with the fact it doesn’t look like him, We don’t see his face, his armor is what makes him, because it is him, The change from Halo CE - 2 wasn’t nearly as bad, it looked like an evolution, this looks like a throwback in the wrong direction.

Also I’ve got a bone to pick with this armor its the MK-VII armor, right? Why the hell does it have the Halo 3 plasma scarring? I can’t let that one go.

http://www.halodestiny.net/images/news/halo_4_figurine_master_chief_prototype.jpg