Massive lag when loading into games

I have already submitted a support ticket but while they are looking into my issue, they are saying they think it’s a graphics cards issue (RTX 2080) which I can hardly believe to be the issue. So I’m posting here to see if anyone else may know a fix.

I have the game via Steam and this is effecting EVERY title in the MCC collection on both campaign and multiplayer. Upon loading into a mission or map, I can hear before I can see anything for about 30 seconds. I can see the mouse cursor and a black screen. Once the video finally comes in, I get massive frame drops for another 15-20 seconds before everything is fine. Again, this happens across all MCC titles, missions and multiplayer maps. While the campaign issue isn’t really too bad, when playing multiplayer I die a few times before I can even see what’s going on which is a huge issue. I have tried everything I can find in support articles and on the web. I have turned vysync on and off, tried windowed, border, and fullscreen modes. Tried all refresh rates (60, 120, 180, 240, unlimited), did the same thing with my monitors refresh rate, turned off every single background program my computer doesn’t need to run, tried without anti-cheat for campaign, turned all graphics settings to lowest, graphics card fully up to date, did the whole “manage 3d settings and turn vsync to fast etc etc” that youtube videos say to do, verified file integrity via steam, uninstalled ALL titles and then the base MCC and reinstalled them all separately. I have made sure Windows and all apps are up to date. Ran sfc /scan now on my computer and it found nothing wrong. Turned off my anti virus. Tried with only controller/keyboard.

I managed to “fix” this once by loading the Reclaimer mission on halo 4 which eliminated all lag across all titles but when trying to do it again after a game restart I have yet to have it work again. The only thing I noticed when it did fix it was the loading screen took forever to load when usually I only see the loading screen for a couple seconds.

This is the only game I have issue with and it just baffles me what is causing this. If anyone has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

I am getting this exact same issue as described.

Never used to happen until I started playing again recently this week. Last time I played when everything was working fine was a few months ago.

> 2535459006152778;2:
> I am getting this exact same issue as described.
>
> Never used to happen until I started playing again recently this week. Last time I played when everything was working fine was a few months ago.

Have you tried anything more then what I listed above?

Also they had me try previous driver version and I rolled all the way back to drivers from october when I was invited to the Halo 4 flight because like you said there was a point where this was NOT an issue and everything was fine for me when Halo 4 was in the insider build, but I took a break before it’s release but came back to it this month and nothing but issues.

After testing the graphic drivers and doing a complete clean re-install with the guidelines they provided, they are telling me to just wait for an update for them and if I have any more info to send it into them… I feel this is going to get swept under the rug unless we can get more info/people coming forward with this issue.

I have already tried everything you listed that you tried as well as what they suggested in two separate support tickets. All I know for certain is that it has nothing to do with NAT or connectivity because it still takes forever to load even offline campaign missions solo and it is the same deal, framerate drops, black screen etc and then finally stabilizing. It isn’t hardware either because my specs are more than powerful enough and fiddling with all settings has not yielded results anyway such as fullscreen, resolution changes, vsync, all low settings etc. I have heard a few other people having this same issue but it seems like as you say, not enough people have come forward with it yet for them to find a fix.

My current plan is just not play for a few weeks or months until they release a patch that hopefully resolves this. Absolutely nothing has changed on my end in regards to hardware or my internet connection, software, etc. I believe they released a patch update that must have screwed up things for players like us that are experiencing this issue and now I’m just going to wait until they figure out what they screwed up and unscrew it with a future update. Thanks for reporting your trouble shooting efforts. I’ll follow this thread. Please post if anyone finds a solution.

If MCC can’t even work right on PC, then that means SERIOUS problems. It doesn’t take a lot to run 10+ year-old games, and yet they STILL can’t run right. I’ve played these games since 2001 and they don’t even run right on XBOX! There is a LOT of issues with the MCC. TRUST ME…it’s NOT your hardware…it’s the game itself. Hopefully they fix it. We all know they’ve spent the last couple of years doing so…and putting these games on PC (ESPECIALLY Halo 3) was a HUGE step forward…but these games NEED a LOT of love.

> 2535459006152778;4:
> I have already tried everything you listed that you tried as well as what they suggested in two separate support tickets. All I know for certain is that it has nothing to do with NAT or connectivity because it still takes forever to load even offline campaign missions solo and it is the same deal, framerate drops, black screen etc and then finally stabilizing. It isn’t hardware either because my specs are more than powerful enough and fiddling with all settings has not yielded results anyway such as fullscreen, resolution changes, vsync, all low settings etc. I have heard a few other people having this same issue but it seems like as you say, not enough people have come forward with it yet for them to find a fix.
>
> My current plan is just not play for a few weeks or months until they release a patch that hopefully resolves this. Absolutely nothing has changed on my end in regards to hardware or my internet connection, software, etc. I believe they released a patch update that must have screwed up things for players like us that are experiencing this issue and now I’m just going to wait until they figure out what they screwed up and unscrew it with a future update. Thanks for reporting your trouble shooting efforts. I’ll follow this thread. Please post if anyone finds a solution.

Do you have this game on Microsoft Store or Steam?

I have it on Steam and have already tried turning off Steam overlay, Discord overlay, and NVIDIA overlay and that still hasn’t worked. I have a friend that has the game on Microsoft Store and it works fine for him. Wondering if this may be a Steam build issue.

> 2533274832043701;5:
> If MCC can’t even work right on PC, then that means SERIOUS problems. It doesn’t take a lot to run 10+ year-old games, and yet they STILL can’t run right. I’ve played these games since 2001 and they don’t even run right on XBOX! There is a LOT of issues with the MCC. TRUST ME…it’s NOT your hardware…it’s the game itself. Hopefully they fix it. We all know they’ve spent the last couple of years doing so…and putting these games on PC (ESPECIALLY Halo 3) was a HUGE step forward…but these games NEED a LOT of love.

Yeah, this makes me worried for Halo Infinite on PC. I know it’s being built with PC in mind but still. These games are super old and I understand the issue in coding with higher FPS and such but still, this shouldn’t be that hard of a port to PC but with the disaster it’s been so far, I just have little hopes for Inifinite. I understand some bugs but the amount of bugs people are having, this is worrisome.

> 2533274874548529;6:
> > 2535459006152778;4:
> > I have already tried everything you listed that you tried as well as what they suggested in two separate support tickets. All I know for certain is that it has nothing to do with NAT or connectivity because it still takes forever to load even offline campaign missions solo and it is the same deal, framerate drops, black screen etc and then finally stabilizing. It isn’t hardware either because my specs are more than powerful enough and fiddling with all settings has not yielded results anyway such as fullscreen, resolution changes, vsync, all low settings etc. I have heard a few other people having this same issue but it seems like as you say, not enough people have come forward with it yet for them to find a fix.
> >
> > My current plan is just not play for a few weeks or months until they release a patch that hopefully resolves this. Absolutely nothing has changed on my end in regards to hardware or my internet connection, software, etc. I believe they released a patch update that must have screwed up things for players like us that are experiencing this issue and now I’m just going to wait until they figure out what they screwed up and unscrew it with a future update. Thanks for reporting your trouble shooting efforts. I’ll follow this thread. Please post if anyone finds a solution.
>
> Do you have this game on Microsoft Store or Steam?
>
> I have it on Steam and have already tried turning off Steam overlay, Discord overlay, and NVIDIA overlay and that still hasn’t worked. I have a friend that has the game on Microsoft Store and it works fine for him. Wondering if this may be a Steam build issue.

I have it on steam.

> 2535459006152778;8:
> > 2533274874548529;6:
> > > 2535459006152778;4:
> > > I have already tried everything you listed that you tried as well as what they suggested in two separate support tickets. All I know for certain is that it has nothing to do with NAT or connectivity because it still takes forever to load even offline campaign missions solo and it is the same deal, framerate drops, black screen etc and then finally stabilizing. It isn’t hardware either because my specs are more than powerful enough and fiddling with all settings has not yielded results anyway such as fullscreen, resolution changes, vsync, all low settings etc. I have heard a few other people having this same issue but it seems like as you say, not enough people have come forward with it yet for them to find a fix.
> > >
> > > My current plan is just not play for a few weeks or months until they release a patch that hopefully resolves this. Absolutely nothing has changed on my end in regards to hardware or my internet connection, software, etc. I believe they released a patch update that must have screwed up things for players like us that are experiencing this issue and now I’m just going to wait until they figure out what they screwed up and unscrew it with a future update. Thanks for reporting your trouble shooting efforts. I’ll follow this thread. Please post if anyone finds a solution.
> >
> > Do you have this game on Microsoft Store or Steam?
> >
> > I have it on Steam and have already tried turning off Steam overlay, Discord overlay, and NVIDIA overlay and that still hasn’t worked. I have a friend that has the game on Microsoft Store and it works fine for him. Wondering if this may be a Steam build issue.
>
> I have it on steam.

I’m wondering if this is a steam issue then. Too bad I can’t afford it on Microsoft Store to try it. Would be nice to know if anyone on Microsoft Store was having this issue.

> 2535459006152778;8:
> > 2533274874548529;6:
> > > 2535459006152778;4:
> > > I have already tried everything you listed that you tried as well as what they suggested in two separate support tickets. All I know for certain is that it has nothing to do with NAT or connectivity because it still takes forever to load even offline campaign missions solo and it is the same deal, framerate drops, black screen etc and then finally stabilizing. It isn’t hardware either because my specs are more than powerful enough and fiddling with all settings has not yielded results anyway such as fullscreen, resolution changes, vsync, all low settings etc. I have heard a few other people having this same issue but it seems like as you say, not enough people have come forward with it yet for them to find a fix.
> > >
> > > My current plan is just not play for a few weeks or months until they release a patch that hopefully resolves this. Absolutely nothing has changed on my end in regards to hardware or my internet connection, software, etc. I believe they released a patch update that must have screwed up things for players like us that are experiencing this issue and now I’m just going to wait until they figure out what they screwed up and unscrew it with a future update. Thanks for reporting your trouble shooting efforts. I’ll follow this thread. Please post if anyone finds a solution.
> >
> > Do you have this game on Microsoft Store or Steam?
> >
> > I have it on Steam and have already tried turning off Steam overlay, Discord overlay, and NVIDIA overlay and that still hasn’t worked. I have a friend that has the game on Microsoft Store and it works fine for him. Wondering if this may be a Steam build issue.
>
> I have it on steam.

Sorry to quote you again but wanted to give you an update. I was able to try the MCC via Microsoft Store on the same PC having the issue with the Steam version and it works flawlessly. No issues so far or at the very least the issue I was having before is gone, tested multiple times. While this isn’t a fix for the Steam version this would indicate it’s a 100% issue with the Steam build and not your computer hardware/settings. I wish I had more info on how to fix it but yeah, at least we know where the issue is coming from now.

> 2533274874548529;10:
> > 2535459006152778;8:
> > > 2533274874548529;6:
> > > > 2535459006152778;4:
> > > > I have already tried everything you listed that you tried as well as what they suggested in two separate support tickets. All I know for certain is that it has nothing to do with NAT or connectivity because it still takes forever to load even offline campaign missions solo and it is the same deal, framerate drops, black screen etc and then finally stabilizing. It isn’t hardware either because my specs are more than powerful enough and fiddling with all settings has not yielded results anyway such as fullscreen, resolution changes, vsync, all low settings etc. I have heard a few other people having this same issue but it seems like as you say, not enough people have come forward with it yet for them to find a fix.
> > > >
> > > > My current plan is just not play for a few weeks or months until they release a patch that hopefully resolves this. Absolutely nothing has changed on my end in regards to hardware or my internet connection, software, etc. I believe they released a patch update that must have screwed up things for players like us that are experiencing this issue and now I’m just going to wait until they figure out what they screwed up and unscrew it with a future update. Thanks for reporting your trouble shooting efforts. I’ll follow this thread. Please post if anyone finds a solution.
> > >
> > > Do you have this game on Microsoft Store or Steam?
> > >
> > > I have it on Steam and have already tried turning off Steam overlay, Discord overlay, and NVIDIA overlay and that still hasn’t worked. I have a friend that has the game on Microsoft Store and it works fine for him. Wondering if this may be a Steam build issue.
> >
> > I have it on steam.
>
> Sorry to quote you again but wanted to give you an update. I was able to try the MCC via Microsoft Store on the same PC having the issue with the Steam version and it works flawlessly. No issues so far or at the very least the issue I was having before is gone, tested multiple times. While this isn’t a fix for the Steam version this would indicate it’s a 100% issue with the Steam build and not your computer hardware/settings. I wish I had more info on how to fix it but yeah, at least we know where the issue is coming from now.

I know this is pretty old, but the problem still isn’t resolved as I’m currently experiencing it.
My usual pc is pretty high end, however I recently tried downloading mcc and playing it on my very low end laptop. And to my surprise, it did not happen there at all. Loading was somehow completely stable on a laptop that can barely keep it’s desktop running, and yet it’s having problems on my pc that otherwise runs the game at a solid framerate as high as my monitor can display.
I’m completely stumped on what could be causing this, but I don’t think it’s primarily the steam build that is the problem (Though it could very well be a large factor of it).
I’ll to do some experimenting to see if I can find a solution to this. If I do find a fix, I’ll probably post it here.

[EDIT: I FOUND A FIX THAT WORKED FOR ME] What I did was update my graphics drivers. This somehow not only solved all of my problems with MCC, but even just all around making my pc run games faster! I highly recommend trying this out.