Mark IV Thrusters?

So halo wars 2 spoiler but in Gameplay Red Team have GEN2 Thruster Packs straight out the gate, sooo is that a new addition to Mark IV GEN1 abilities? Or is it just gameplay? As in just didn’t gel with the pacing and level design to wait for Isabel’s reconfiguration of GEN1 to be seen on screen 3-4 levels later?

The short answer is gameplay/development restrictions.

From The Art of War(s) (https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/the-art-of-war-s):

> Red Team took advantage of the GEN2 parts recovered from UNSC outposts, reverse-engineered solutions developed by Serina, and deft modifications made by Isabel to stay in the fight. The potential amalgamation of these changes could lead to completely new design permutations, customized for the needs of each Spartan.

> 2533275006069419;3:
> From The Art of War(s) (https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/the-art-of-war-s):
>
>
> > Red Team took advantage of the GEN2 parts recovered from UNSC outposts, reverse-engineered solutions developed by Serina, and deft modifications made by Isabel to stay in the fight. The potential amalgamation of these changes could lead to completely new design permutations, customized for the needs of each Spartan.

In theory, that’s how it should work, but none of that is ever shown in the game. Plus, I haven’t read the new graphic novel (Tales from Slipspace, I think?), but I saw a frame for the one with the Spirit of Fire crew, and it shows one of the Spartans using thrusters on their armour. Clearly this happens before Halo Wars 2, before the integration of new technology into the Mark IV sets. 343i also put thrusters on the Mark IV sets in The Fall of Reach miniseries, despite that suit never having them and them even saying that thrusters were only implemented into MJOLNIR armour by default in GEN2.

Honestly, this type of thing bugs me, where 343i changes stuff like this for the sake of “cool”, despite going against established canon. I guess we just have to stop these things from getting to our heads.

I just see any changes 343 makes that contradict previous lore (no matter how frustrating it may be) to be higher canon.
Unless they pull something like wiping away a entire story arc to the point it can be considered a alternate universe will I start using head canon>canon.

> 2533274974284436;5:
> I just see any changes 343 makes that contradict previous lore (no matter how frustrating it may be) to be higher canon.
> Unless they pull something like wiping away a entire story arc to the point it can be considered a alternate universe will I start using head canon>canon.

This creates a lot of problems however. Like those spartans who died in The Fall of Reach when they made “hard landing”. Now suddenly even mk IV has thrusters which allows to do stuff like Osiris does in the first cutscene of halo 5.

They were using experimental armor. Remember they had shielding way before John ever got his Mk V. No reason to think they weren’t testing built-in thrusters as well.

I belive I read that they’ve always had thrusters for zero G movement. Not sure how they hold up in atmosphere

> 2533274843882340;8:
> I belive I read that they’ve always had thrusters for zero G movement. Not sure how they hold up in atmosphere

Well originally they used actual thruster packs but that may have been totally retconned in more recent media. I feel like I remember what you are referring to but I can’t think of what it is.

Halo 4’s thrusters were just for visuals in the prologue and Chief having them could be attributed to the fact his armor was heavily modified.
FoR animated movie is an abomination and should not be looked to for any canon answers.
Jerome using them in the Tales from Slipspace story could be attributed to the fact Red Team uses experimental armor

I can’t think of any other piece of fiction that has those thrusters built in

> 2533274824409174;6:
> > 2533274974284436;5:
> > I just see any changes 343 makes that contradict previous lore (no matter how frustrating it may be) to be higher canon.
> > Unless they pull something like wiping away a entire story arc to the point it can be considered a alternate universe will I start using head canon>canon.
>
> This creates a lot of problems however. Like those spartans who died in The Fall of Reach when they made “hard landing”. Now suddenly even mk IV has thrusters which allows to do stuff like Osiris does in the first cutscene of halo 5.

They were getting chased down by Banshees and Seraphs, remember. That and ground fire probably didn’t help.

I can accept that Red Team’s highly advanced experimental Mark IV may have had comparatively weak thrusters built-in for Zero-G movement. I would prefer they left the rest of it unchanged.

> 2533274927592272;11:
> I can accept that Red Team’s highly advanced experimental Mark IV may have had comparatively weak thrusters built-in for Zero-G movement. I would prefer they left the rest of it unchanged.

Same here, I can’t accept that they had these special suits and it still took another 21 years for shields to be implemented. Same goes for the AI stuff we see in the game. 343 has an odd obsession with trying to make everything they can canon, even when it’s for the worst honestly. It’s as I always say: Not everything has to be canon, and once you try to make everything canon that’s when the real problem begins.

Edit: I misread your original post, I goofed. I’d prefer they didn’t have any thrusters honestly, because even in Ghosts of Onyx I believe they had special thruster pack attachments for their Mk IV suits to make adjustments and operate in the vacuum of space.

> 2533274808386392;4:
> > 2533275006069419;3:
> > From The Art of War(s) (https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/the-art-of-war-s):
> >
> >
> > > Red Team took advantage of the GEN2 parts recovered from UNSC outposts, reverse-engineered solutions developed by Serina, and deft modifications made by Isabel to stay in the fight. The potential amalgamation of these changes could lead to completely new design permutations, customized for the needs of each Spartan.
>
> In theory, that’s how it should work, but none of that is ever shown in the game. Plus, I haven’t read the new graphic novel (Tales from Slipspace, I think?), but I saw a frame for the one with the Spirit of Fire crew, and it shows one of the Spartans using thrusters on their armour. Clearly this happens before Halo Wars 2, before the integration of new technology into the Mark IV sets. 343i also put thrusters on the Mark IV sets in The Fall of Reach miniseries, despite that suit never having them and them even saying that thrusters were only implemented into MJOLNIR armour by default in GEN2.
>
> Honestly, this type of thing bugs me, where 343i changes stuff like this for the sake of “cool”, despite going against established canon. I guess we just have to stop these things from getting to our heads.

You must have really hated the original Halo Wars, then, where they gave Mk IV armor shields in the game.

> 2533274870434572;13:
> > 2533274808386392;4:
> > > 2533275006069419;3:
> > > From The Art of War(s) (https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/the-art-of-war-s):
> > >
> > >
> > > > Red Team took advantage of the GEN2 parts recovered from UNSC outposts, reverse-engineered solutions developed by Serina, and deft modifications made by Isabel to stay in the fight. The potential amalgamation of these changes could lead to completely new design permutations, customized for the needs of each Spartan.
> >
> > In theory, that’s how it should work, but none of that is ever shown in the game. Plus, I haven’t read the new graphic novel (Tales from Slipspace, I think?), but I saw a frame for the one with the Spirit of Fire crew, and it shows one of the Spartans using thrusters on their armour. Clearly this happens before Halo Wars 2, before the integration of new technology into the Mark IV sets. 343i also put thrusters on the Mark IV sets in The Fall of Reach miniseries, despite that suit never having them and them even saying that thrusters were only implemented into MJOLNIR armour by default in GEN2.
> >
> > Honestly, this type of thing bugs me, where 343i changes stuff like this for the sake of “cool”, despite going against established canon. I guess we just have to stop these things from getting to our heads.
>
> You must have really hated the original Halo Wars, then, where they gave Mk IV armor shields in the game.

Nope, because Bungie stated that the shields were not canon, and were purely there for gameplay purposes.

> 2533274808386392;14:
> > 2533274870434572;13:
> > > 2533274808386392;4:
> > > > 2533275006069419;3:
> > > > From The Art of War(s) (https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/the-art-of-war-s):
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > Red Team took advantage of the GEN2 parts recovered from UNSC outposts, reverse-engineered solutions developed by Serina, and deft modifications made by Isabel to stay in the fight. The potential amalgamation of these changes could lead to completely new design permutations, customized for the needs of each Spartan.
> > >
> > > In theory, that’s how it should work, but none of that is ever shown in the game. Plus, I haven’t read the new graphic novel (Tales from Slipspace, I think?), but I saw a frame for the one with the Spirit of Fire crew, and it shows one of the Spartans using thrusters on their armour. Clearly this happens before Halo Wars 2, before the integration of new technology into the Mark IV sets. 343i also put thrusters on the Mark IV sets in The Fall of Reach miniseries, despite that suit never having them and them even saying that thrusters were only implemented into MJOLNIR armour by default in GEN2.
> > >
> > > Honestly, this type of thing bugs me, where 343i changes stuff like this for the sake of “cool”, despite going against established canon. I guess we just have to stop these things from getting to our heads.
> >
> > You must have really hated the original Halo Wars, then, where they gave Mk IV armor shields in the game.
>
> Nope, because Bungie stated that the shields were not canon, and were purely there for gameplay purposes.

Bungie stated the entire game was non canon because it wasn’t made by Bungie but I digress

> 2533274936927904;15:
> > 2533274808386392;14:
> > > 2533274870434572;13:
> > > > 2533274808386392;4:
> > > > > 2533275006069419;3:
> > > > > From The Art of War(s) (https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/news/the-art-of-war-s):
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > > Red Team took advantage of the GEN2 parts recovered from UNSC outposts, reverse-engineered solutions developed by Serina, and deft modifications made by Isabel to stay in the fight. The potential amalgamation of these changes could lead to completely new design permutations, customized for the needs of each Spartan.
> > > >
> > > > In theory, that’s how it should work, but none of that is ever shown in the game. Plus, I haven’t read the new graphic novel (Tales from Slipspace, I think?), but I saw a frame for the one with the Spirit of Fire crew, and it shows one of the Spartans using thrusters on their armour. Clearly this happens before Halo Wars 2, before the integration of new technology into the Mark IV sets. 343i also put thrusters on the Mark IV sets in The Fall of Reach miniseries, despite that suit never having them and them even saying that thrusters were only implemented into MJOLNIR armour by default in GEN2.
> > > >
> > > > Honestly, this type of thing bugs me, where 343i changes stuff like this for the sake of “cool”, despite going against established canon. I guess we just have to stop these things from getting to our heads.
> > >
> > > You must have really hated the original Halo Wars, then, where they gave Mk IV armor shields in the game.
> >
> > Nope, because Bungie stated that the shields were not canon, and were purely there for gameplay purposes.
>
> Bungie stated the entire game was non canon because it wasn’t made by Bungie but I digress

Umm, I don’t think that’s correct. Bungie was overseeing the game (Halo 3 was still owned by them when development started) and they were happy to talk about it and advertise it. There was a lot of false talk about the game being non-canon, but Bungie never actually stated that. It’s just like how a lot of people claim that Bungie said that Reach wasn’t canon, which is also not true.

There’s a difference between saying that one small part of the game isn’t accurate, but is there for gameplay purposes (just like the power levels of Prometheans), and saying that a whole game isn’t canon.

Spartans did have thruster even in the gen 1 mjolnir though not advanced as gen 2 versions.

> 2533274969889736;17:
> Spartans did have thruster even in the gen 1 mjolnir though not advanced as gen 2 versions.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but there is no material I know of that states that gen1 Mjölnir has thrusters, especially Mk IV. Even in Ghosts of Onyx they have thruster packs they attached to their armor, but they were not built in.

Now you could argue that Mk VI had them built in if you go with the armor change between 3 and 4 being purely cosmetic with no “nanomachine Cortana bs” like I do, but if you stand by 343 and their version then Mk VI probably wouldn’t have thrusters in the base suit either.

> 2533274837720524;18:
> > 2533274969889736;17:
> > This was before the events of halo wars 2.Spartans did have thruster even in the gen 1 mjolnir though not advanced as gen 2 versions.
>
> Correct me if I’m wrong, but there is no material I know of that states that gen1 Mjölnir has thrusters, especially Mk IV. Even in Ghosts of Onyx they have thruster packs they attached to their armor, but they were not built in.
>
> Now you could argue that Mk VI had them built in if you go with the armor change between 3 and 4 being purely cosmetic with no “nanomachine Cortana bs” like I do, but if you stand by 343 and their version then Mk VI probably wouldn’t have thrusters in the base suit either.

If you read Halo: Tales of Slipspace, a Spartan from red-team can be seen using his thrusters.This was before the events of halo wars 2. In the halo fall of reach animated series blue team can be seen using thrusters in space. 343 kinda of rectonned the mjolnir gen 1 armor especially the mark IV. Another changed that 343 made to the gen 1 mark IV is that the suit now enhances strength by the multiple of 5 instead of 2 according to newer versions of halo: the fall of reach (animated series and comic).

> 2533274969889736;19:
> > 2533274837720524;18:
> > > 2533274969889736;17:
> > > This was before the events of halo wars 2.Spartans did have thruster even in the gen 1 mjolnir though not advanced as gen 2 versions.
> >
> > Correct me if I’m wrong, but there is no material I know of that states that gen1 Mjölnir has thrusters, especially Mk IV. Even in Ghosts of Onyx they have thruster packs they attached to their armor, but they were not built in.
> >
> > Now you could argue that Mk VI had them built in if you go with the armor change between 3 and 4 being purely cosmetic with no “nanomachine Cortana bs” like I do, but if you stand by 343 and their version then Mk VI probably wouldn’t have thrusters in the base suit either.
>
> If you read Halo: Tales of Slipspace, a Spartan from red-team can be seen using his thrusters.This was before the events of halo wars 2. In the halo fall of reach animated series blue team can be seen using thrusters in space. 343 kinda of rectonned the mjolnir gen 1 armor especially the mark IV. Another changed that 343 made to the gen 1 mark IV is that the suit now enhances strength by the multiple of 5 instead of 2 according to newer versions of halo: the fall of reach (animated series and comic).

Oh yeah, I forgot about Tales from Slipspace, so thanks for reminding me about that. It may bug me a bit though, because clearly 343 doesn’t even care about their own established lore and keeps adding things to pre existing things to justify their own shotty storytelling. As far as I’m concerned I’m gonna stick to what we’ve known for 10 years and say that gen1 suits don’t have thrusters, and I’m gonna recommend that others do the same.

As for that “animated series”… you know nothing in that visually is canon, right?