Marathon and Halo Infinite

In February of 2020 I made a post highlighting the similar naming conventions found in Bungie’s Marathon Trilogy when compared with 343i’s Halo games.

Marathon Trilogy:

• Marathon - Marathon 2: Durandal - Marathon InfinityReclaimer Saga:

• Halo 4 - Halo 5: Guardians - Halo Infinite

Since then I have had this idea in the back of my head wondering if we can use anything from the Marathon Trilogy (or more specifically, Marathon Infinity) to speculate on the plot of Halo Infinite.

I suspect that Cortana has somehow merged with The Weapon, or is in there somewhere. Cortana is what prevented their deletion upon successful deployment. I don’t think they could just get rid of the original Cortana and simply replace her with a look alike. I also don’t think they could just give us back the original Cortana but she’s had a change of heart.

Perhaps we’ll come across instances where The Weapon will interface with Forerunner tech but will be surprised. “How did I know to do that?” Given that Cortana is “gone” but the Weapon was not deleted, Cortana likely prevented the deletion and is in the Weapon now. And over time it will become clear Cortana is still with us.
Cutscene dialogue below.

The Weapon: The rogue A.I. known as Cortana is gone. She’s been deleted.
Master Chief: How? By you?
The Weapon: Of course not. Did you hit your head or something? Don’t you remember? My instructions were to enter this installation, imitate Cortana, and lock her down for retrieval. Yours were to take her back to the Infinity for deletion. So if it wasn’t you… okay then… There’s something else. On successful deployment, my deletion routine was supposed to complete. Still here… hehe.

Master Chief: Something stopped your deletion. We need to find out why.

But that’s just my theory!

So how does this relate to Marathon Infinity? The plot of Marathon Infinity is… crazy. Multiple timelines sort of thing. In Marathon Infinity you come across this Hybrid A.I. which is a combination of Durandal, an A.I. prevalent in all 3 games, and the A.I. Thoth, which is an even more advanced A.I. created by the Jjaro (essentially the Forerunners of Marathon.)

Now I am not suggesting that The Weapon has some connection to the Forerunners, only providing some backstory and context. However I do notice the similarity of plot regarding the combining of A.I.s between Marathon Infinity and my theory for Halo Infinite.

Marathon Infinity’s plot also involves the awakening of the W’rkncacnter, which is essentially Marathon’s Precursors. Given the history we know of Zeta Halo from Halo: Primordium, it’s hard not to make more connections to Marathon Infinity.

Perhaps there are other connections from the other two Marathon games that could be made to Halo 4 and Halo 5: Guardians. Rampancy is a main piece of both games, but I do concede that its place in Halo is wholly inspired from Marathon’s usage too.

Edit: See my follow up post, The Weapon + Joyous.

Interesting mate.
Lot of good research you did there. You could be onto something.
Good on you

This connection does seem plausible. Bungie nor 343 ever had an issue throwing in little marathon references here and there so I’m definitely open to any deeper connections at this point.

Ey buddy wanna call out spoilers next time. I still haven’t played the marathon games.

Edit: In all seriousness, I give your theory extra credence solely due to the odd decision on 343s part to break naming conventions twice. With both times being in ways that match up to the Marathon games.

MARATHON

https://youtu.be/EZbFILO-UTs

I have been hearing very similar theories booting up for the past several months. It is very possible. 343 and Bungie are still close and use assests from each other every so often. Several Halo references in Destiny, several real world mentions and notes by 343 about Bungie’s legacy. I have heard Bungie may want the Combat Evolved Pistol as a D2 Exotic Hand Canon.

So, it would not surprise me if Marathon and Halo are going very similar routes. The biggest proof of this is the poem The Song of Roland. Which so happens to be what Marathon is based on.

The likeliest name for the new AI is Joyous or just Joy (based on the name of a sword of one of Charlemagne’s paladins called Joyeuse. Cortana is based on the sword Cortain (Roland’s Sword)

For a deep dive on this:
Halo Canon

> 2535432806702036;6:
> I have been hearing very similar theories booting up for the past several months. It is very possible. 343 and Bungie are still close and use assests from each other every so often. Several Halo references in Destiny, several real world mentions and notes by 343 about Bungie’s legacy. I have heard Bungie may want the Combat Evolved Pistol as a D2 Exotic Hand Canon.
>
> So, it would not surprise me if Marathon and Halo are going very similar routes. The biggest proof of this is the poem The Song of Roland. Which so happens to be what Marathon is based on.
>
> The likeliest name for the new AI is Joyous or just Joy (based on the name of a sword of one of Charlemagne’s paladins called Joyeuse. Cortana is based on the sword Cortain (Roland’s Sword)
>
> For a deep dive on this:
> Halo Canon

I came to the Joyous conclusion too! Very interesting theory.

> My name is Cortana, of the same steel and temper as Joyeuse and Durendal.