Map Voting System

I recently asked myself what the Best Map Choosing System would look like for Infinite and what the Community thinks about it…

Would you prefer it the way they doing it since Halo 5…? So Forced Playing on whatever is loaded up in the Pre Game Lobby?

Reach’ System, with a Voting out of Three?

The Veto System from way back in Halo 3…?

For myself, I’m all for Map Rotation, but I also like to have some sort of Control, if I absolutely don’t want to play a Map or Gamemode… So I’d go with the Veto System… It was nearly “perfect” imo… It’s like giving the Player a bit more freedom but not as much as Reach since that would end up in playing only One thing over and over again…

The other thing is, if I remember correctly, that most people simply quit back then, if whatever was brought up afterwards wasn’t in their interest… However… That would still be the Case with forced (Halo 5; MCC) Map Rotation and finally lead back to Reach’ System and only One thing over and over again, so just as bad or even worse as if it were just a Veto System…

So all in all I think the Veto System should be brought back moving forward… What about you…? Do you think differently?

They need to keep it the way they’re currently doing with whatever map is loaded in. If they use voting system, some maps will recieve far less attention and some players who are all about, “map awareness” and advantages will have the upper hand.

> 2533274870308953;2:
> They need to keep it the way they’re currently doing with whatever map is loaded in. If they use voting system, some maps will recieve far less attention and some players who are all about, “map awareness” and advantages will have the upper hand.

That would be the lesser devil for me out of the 2 other Systems… :'D
And surely some Maps would receive less attention, but you could always “tweak” the system in a way, that when People decide to Veto, a map with not as much attention as other Ones would be come up next and not a often played one… You can just veto once after all… (:

Current system in Halo 5 or veto from Halo 3. Voting system like Reach had was absolutely atrocious!

Why not have a setting in your game profile that only allows for searching for certain maps only in the lobbies? The system will then send you to those maps lobbies with others who want to play those

I hope the maps are that good that nobody wants to veto.

Nah, the way they do it now is better

I prefer that there is voting/veto system in place, sure the most mentioned problem is that some maps pretty much never get selected in voting system particularly but thats pretty much an outcome of player choice.

That being voting system is the system that allows for most freedom of choice for players as it obviously leaves the map choice for the players themselves, it’s a democratic system where each player has a say in which map they wish to play at the time, it can also be used to see as to what are popular maps along the players for use in future map designs. The voting system simply gives everyone an equal chance & the “good maps” that appeal to the majority of players are the ones to survive in the long run. For me it doesn’t matter if Im in the minority or majority in the voting process about videogame maps if it means a system where community can determine what they wish to play at the time rather than the bottom of the bin maps being forced onto the system by development choice.

Veto on the other hand being a sort of a middle ground, it still likely leaves some maps unplayed again but don’t be fooled, the outcome is still determined by a random generator rather than fully by the paying customers themselves, the people who actually play the game.

So this is basically about freedom of choice as a community versus forced map variation created through RNG. And one big way I see people being against community choice on what a majority in a lobby wants to play is that they are afraid of becoming part of the minority.

Not that the map forcing system ultimately changes much, people who truly don’t wish to play the flawed maps leave the match before it gets to start, it’s simply easier to give the choice as the number of leaving people is greater in forced RNG maps rather than chosen maps as chosen maps are what majority of lobby wants at the time.

In any case the outcome will be what majority wants, democratic system simply makes the process smoother.

I wouldn’t mind seeing it come back or to see more maps in rotation so voting isn’t needed as much

Map rotation with more sophisticated rotator. If you stay in a queue, you should not play the same map for at least 2 games apart.

noooo not map voting agin that -Yoink- did not work in reach, we just need a map veto like h3

i like to see more the halo reach voting system making a return for playlist’s like BTB and other playlist’s that have more game type’s in there playlist.
since voting on the map was for a lot off people not the problem but the game type what you gone play.
then you most play on the same map only thing you can vote on is what for game type you gone play on it thats better for the map rotation’s and all the maps get there chance to shine in the game.

> 2533274817408735;10:
> Map rotation with more sophisticated rotator. If you stay in a queue, you should not play the same map for at least 2 games apart.

this or the veto system. That way we arent stuck playing the same stuff. This will need a new team that actually knows how to mix and match game types with maps though

> 2533274824545186;5:
> Why not have a setting in your game profile that only allows for searching for certain maps only in the lobbies? The system will then send you to those maps lobbies with others who want to play those

I think, that this System would be even worse than Reach, if you want to have Map Rotation… In Reach, if the 3 Voting Options didn’t had a popular Map in them, u had to play one which is less popular… If we go with your Idea, even less less popular Maps will get played… Just my Opinion however

> 2533274890014309;8:
> I prefer that there is voting/veto system in place, sure the most mentioned problem is that some maps pretty much never get selected in voting system particularly but thats pretty much an outcome of player choice.
>
> That being voting system is the system that allows for most freedom of choice for players as it obviously leaves the map choice for the players themselves, it’s a democratic system where each player has a say in which map they wish to play at the time, it can also be used to see as to what are popular maps along the players for use in future map designs. The voting system simply gives everyone an equal chance & the “good maps” that appeal to the majority of players are the ones to survive in the long run. For me it doesn’t matter if Im in the minority or majority in the voting process about videogame maps if it means a system where community can determine what they wish to play at the time rather than the bottom of the bin maps being forced onto the system by development choice.
>
> Veto on the other hand being a sort of a middle ground, it still likely leaves some maps unplayed again but don’t be fooled, the outcome is still determined by a random generator rather than fully by the paying customers themselves, the people who actually play the game.
>
> So this is basically about freedom of choice as a community versus forced map variation created through RNG. And one big way I see people being against community choice on what a majority in a lobby wants to play is that they are afraid of becoming part of the minority.
>
> Not that the map forcing system ultimately changes much, people who truly don’t wish to play the flawed maps leave the match before it gets to start, it’s simply easier to give the choice as the number of leaving people is greater in forced RNG maps rather than chosen maps as chosen maps are what majority of lobby wants at the time.
>
> In any case the outcome will be what majority wants, democratic system simply makes the process smoother.

You’ve got good points, however, for me at least, it’s not cause I’m being in the Minority or whatever… It’s simply because I’m sick of playing the same thing over and over again… I’d like to play in many different maps with many different Modes… In the end this Voting System leads to playing just a few maps over and over again, because in fact, they are the most popular ones… However, that doesn’t mean the 2 other Ones were automatically “bad”… It just means, the winner was the most popular and will most likely (! Not everytime !) win over and over again… And that is or can be a flawed system, too, since other Maps didn’t even get the chance of being played… So giving the Players all the Choice is just as bad, as giving them none choice at all… Cause of that, I’m all for the middle ground that is Halo 3’s Veto System.

> 2533274870308953;2:
> They need to keep it the way they’re currently doing with whatever map is loaded in. If they use voting system, some maps will recieve far less attention and some players who are all about, “map awareness” and advantages will have the upper hand.

I agree 100% on the Voting needs to stay out of Halo Games…

However, I think better players will always be better players, and it doesn’t matter which Map the Lobby ends up with… Surely, because they will play them far more often (and surely more than casual Players making the gap even bigger), they will as well get even better on them, but in the end, if there is a good matching system in place, u shouldn’t match such players all the time, if your not yourself such a player (hopefully).

> 2533274817408735;10:
> Map rotation with more sophisticated rotator. If you stay in a queue, you should not play the same map for at least 2 games apart.

I love your Idea with the “at least 2 Games apart” Rule!

> 2533274804309511;15:
> > 2533274890014309;8:
> > I prefer that there is voting/veto system in place, sure the most mentioned problem is that some maps pretty much never get selected in voting system particularly but thats pretty much an outcome of player choice.
> >
> > That being voting system is the system that allows for most freedom of choice for players as it obviously leaves the map choice for the players themselves, it’s a democratic system where each player has a say in which map they wish to play at the time, it can also be used to see as to what are popular maps along the players for use in future map designs. The voting system simply gives everyone an equal chance & the “good maps” that appeal to the majority of players are the ones to survive in the long run. For me it doesn’t matter if Im in the minority or majority in the voting process about videogame maps if it means a system where community can determine what they wish to play at the time rather than the bottom of the bin maps being forced onto the system by development choice.
> >
> > Veto on the other hand being a sort of a middle ground, it still likely leaves some maps unplayed again but don’t be fooled, the outcome is still determined by a random generator rather than fully by the paying customers themselves, the people who actually play the game.
> >
> > So this is basically about freedom of choice as a community versus forced map variation created through RNG. And one big way I see people being against community choice on what a majority in a lobby wants to play is that they are afraid of becoming part of the minority.
> >
> > Not that the map forcing system ultimately changes much, people who truly don’t wish to play the flawed maps leave the match before it gets to start, it’s simply easier to give the choice as the number of leaving people is greater in forced RNG maps rather than chosen maps as chosen maps are what majority of lobby wants at the time.
> >
> > In any case the outcome will be what majority wants, democratic system simply makes the process smoother.
>
> You’ve got good points, however, for me at least, it’s not cause I’m being in the Minority or whatever… It’s simply because I’m sick of playing the same thing over and over again… I’d like to play in many different maps with many different Modes… In the end this Voting System leads to playing just a few maps over and over again, because in fact, they are the most popular ones… However, that doesn’t mean the 2 other Ones were automatically “bad”… It just means, the winner was the most popular and will most likely (! Not everytime !) win over and over again… And that is or can be a flawed system, too, since other Maps didn’t even get the chance of being played… So giving the Players all the Choice is just as bad, as giving them none choice at all… Cause of that, I’m all for the middle ground that is Halo 3’s Veto System.

No system is perfect, the voting simply makes the process more convenient as it will end up with people seeking what they wish to play by leaving in lobbies leaving possibility for uneven starts for those who wish to play the rarer maps.
And before there is mention of map rotation which doesn’t allow for same map to be matched twice in a row, that is easily surpassed by utilizing friendslist to join games as one example & if such system works on priority system it will end up with unoptimized internet connectivity between players themselves resulting in more likely laggy games.
Sure there could be separate map based search where you tick the maps you wish to play, or tick off those you don’t, it gets the same result, giving the minority that wants to play different maps a better chance to meet each other without a system that forces less popular maps on majority of players.
But that feature works only with relatively highly populated games & it would mean it gets priority over gamemode but thats one way to get a chance for map variety while giving players choice to play the game more in the way they themselves wish to play.

Though even in itself, the game ending up with matches taking place on same maps are more of an outcome of player choice & time, By the time people get more of an idea which maps they prefer over others they likely have played each map multiple times already when the game is new, so it’s problem with aging game, much like many other online features when the game starts to get less & less attention from devs & players alike.
By the time the same maps usually the game likely has other problems that online modes get in aging games, such as low population, and complaining about voting is almost as weird as complaining about low population in that way, for example someone complaining they get matched against same players when they would like variation in the matches.
Online modes will never last forever, nor do they ever get back that time when they were new & everyone were just testing things out in it, and I see same map circulation as being part of that aging problem in online games, the remaining low population could even lobby up & seek for those same maps but thats their choice.
And why Im for voting system is that Im not entitled to the time of other people, even if I would like to play different map I would rather have people choose what we wish to play at the time, majority choice is the least amount of time wasted.

And a person is in minority if they lose the voting process over & over again. Which is the reason to “getting sick of the same maps” argument if the majority chooses said maps.

It’s simply an old game problem where it’s few popular maps getting chosen by the majority of people that bought the game & a system that ends up with bottom of the bin maps still in rotation which wastes everyones time as people simply quit the lobby until they find the popular map again.

A better example from earlier though, could be that there eventually will be complaints that some gamemodes aren’t populated anymore, that too is an outcome of player choice where the RNG opposite is mashing all the gamemodes into same matchmaking system therefore forcing the majority into lobbies of undesired gamemodes.

So my argument is that, while there is no perfect system, the voting system is better because it caters to as many people as possible in the matchmaking pool.

Hence why it should work as a base for the matchmaking system, and I say base because these systems are only the skeletons that will be fleshed out better as the time goes by & the winner systems likely get more attention in development department, and like mentioned, there could be map ticking system where one could try to search if there are other parts of the minority playerbase that wants to play the more unpopular maps hence lessening the lobby quitting habit therefore lessening wasted time.
But more options work better with relatively highly populated game and maybe Infinite will be one too.

And while worse doesn’t equal bad in case of different systems, it neither is the point of this whole discussion. Various systems work in their own kind of ways while possessing their own flaws too, Im simply viewing voting as more democratic & better base for improved future system than what the other presented options are.

I miss map voting, but I don’t miss everyone voting for the same maps over and over and over again. Like someone said above I like having some sort of control. I think it would be awesome just to bring back simple ‘veto’ but with no choice/voting for which maps you want to play.

> 2533274890014309;18:
> > 2533274804309511;15:
> > > 2533274890014309;8:
> > > […]
> >
> > You’ve got good points, however, for me at least, it’s not cause I’m being in the Minority or whatever… It’s simply because I’m sick of playing the same thing over and over again… I’d like to play in many different maps with many different Modes… In the end this Voting System leads to playing just a few maps over and over again, because in fact, they are the most popular ones… However, that doesn’t mean the 2 other Ones were automatically “bad”… It just means, the winner was the most popular and will most likely (! Not everytime !) win over and over again… And that is or can be a flawed system, too, since other Maps didn’t even get the chance of being played… So giving the Players all the Choice is just as bad, as giving them none choice at all… Cause of that, I’m all for the middle ground that is Halo 3’s Veto System.
>
> No system is perfect, the voting simply makes the process more convenient as it will end up with people seeking what they wish to play by leaving in lobbies leaving possibility for uneven starts for those who wish to play the rarer maps.
> And before there is mention of map rotation which doesn’t allow for same map to be matched twice in a row, that is easily surpassed by utilizing friendslist to join games as one example & if such system works on priority system it will end up with unoptimized internet connectivity between players themselves resulting in more likely laggy games.
> Sure there could be separate map based search where you tick the maps you wish to play, or tick off those you don’t, it gets the same result, giving the minority that wants to play different maps a better chance to meet each other without a system that forces less popular maps on majority of players.
> But that feature works only with relatively highly populated games & it would mean it gets priority over gamemode but thats one way to get a chance for map variety while giving players choice to play the game more in the way they themselves wish to play.
>
> Though even in itself, the game ending up with matches taking place on same maps are more of an outcome of player choice & time, By the time people get more of an idea which maps they prefer over others they likely have played each map multiple times already when the game is new, so it’s problem with aging game, much like many other online features when the game starts to get less & less attention from devs & players alike.
> By the time the same maps usually the game likely has other problems that online modes get in aging games, such as low population, and complaining about voting is almost as weird as complaining about low population in that way, for example someone complaining they get matched against same players when they would like variation in the matches.
> Online modes will never last forever, nor do they ever get back that time when they were new & everyone were just testing things out in it, and I see same map circulation as being part of that aging problem in online games, the remaining low population could even lobby up & seek for those same maps but thats their choice.
> And why Im for voting system is that Im not entitled to the time of other people, even if I would like to play different map I would rather have people choose what we wish to play at the time, majority choice is the least amount of time wasted.
>
> And a person is in minority if they lose the voting process over & over again. Which is the reason to “getting sick of the same maps” argument if the majority chooses said maps.
>
> It’s simply an old game problem where it’s few popular maps getting chosen by the majority of people that bought the game & a system that ends up with bottom of the bin maps still in rotation which wastes everyones time as people simply quit the lobby until they find the popular map again.
>
> A better example from earlier though, could be that there eventually will be complaints that some gamemodes aren’t populated anymore, that too is an outcome of player choice where the RNG opposite is mashing all the gamemodes into same matchmaking system therefore forcing the majority into lobbies of undesired gamemodes.
>
> So my argument is that, while there is no perfect system, the voting system is better because it caters to as many people as possible in the matchmaking pool.
>
> Hence why it should work as a base for the matchmaking system, and I say base because these systems are only the skeletons that will be fleshed out better as the time goes by & the winner systems likely get more attention in development department, and like mentioned, there could be map ticking system where one could try to search if there are other parts of the minority playerbase that wants to play the more unpopular maps hence lessening the lobby quitting habit therefore lessening wasted time.
> But more options work better with relatively highly populated game and maybe Infinite will be one too.
>
> And while worse doesn’t equal bad in case of different systems, it neither is the point of this whole discussion. Various systems work in their own kind of ways while possessing their own flaws too, Im simply viewing voting as more democratic & better base for improved future system than what the other presented options are.

Your whole point seems to be “well, the majority wants it or is okay with it, so it’s better, period”…

So, if, say, majority of people wants to have a MTX Store available, so they don’t have to spend time in the game (so much for wasted time) and can just throw money at MS’ Face over and over again (what they surely do, so much profit the Company is making with it), it means, it has to stay, cause it caters to as much people as possible?
Most people like JiP, does it mean, it have to be available everywhere, even in Competitive Playlists…? Cause most people like it, so why not?
Just because people seem to behave a specific way, doesn’t mean, it’s the best system (and you said it already, no system is perfect, but that’s not the point)… We could also bring Loadouts back… THAT caters to as many people as possible, cause they can even choose which weapon to begin with… Does it mean, we should in a Arena Shooter like Halo? Hell no, so your point is on many different Levels invalid.

Your acting like every single Game has at least 1 or 2 Quitters, which is just incorrect… Yeah sure… Some Games will have people who quit, but that goes the other way around, too… People, who play the same map over and over again are likely to quit them, too.

I don’t know, what you’re trying to say with bringing my argument of “sick of the same maps” back up again… I know, that I’m in the Minority there, but that was not, what I was saying… I was trying to say, that I’m against that “community choice”, not because I’m afraid of being the Minority or whatnot, it’s because I’m sick of playing the same maps just as I said…

However, it doesn’t matter in the end, you’ve got your opinion, and I’ve got mine… I just hope, before bringing that system back, they rather bring Halo 5’s and MCC’s System back… xD