Map theft needs to be addressed in Halo Infinite

As it stands in Halo 5 you have access to everyone’s saved maps regardless of the map author having never authorized search visibility, which as a result makes it stupidly easy to steal someone elses map. Once you save a copy of that map the original authors name is swapped out with your name making it look like you made something you didn’t.

Now imagine you spent a week or more working on something only for some random living garbage to save a copy of what you made and start running around saying they made it.

If I can’t hide my files at least fix the original author system for Halo Infinite.

I agree

> 2533274975565198;1:
> As it stands in Halo 5 you have access to everyone’s saved maps regardless of the map author having never authorized search visibility, which as a result makes it stupidly easy to steal someone elses map. Once you save a copy of that map the original authors name is swapped out with your name making it look like you made something you didn’t.
>
> Now imagine you spent a week or more working on something only for some random living garbage to save a copy of what you made and start running around saying they made it.
>
> If I can’t hide my files at least fix the original author system for Halo Infinite.

One would imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult.
Even Forge Password protection for maps would be nice, that way you’d be able to share maps, and have them editor protected.
Though I suspect that would somewhat go against what Forge is about.
Original Author should be present.

Also, one tip regarding “map theft”.
Put your inititals in some hidden place, in the map editor. I haven’t played around with Forge too much, so I’m not sure if you can name objects, or write at all in it, but if you can, put a few lines on either every object, or a well hidden one.

What would be smart(I think)is if they kept it the same as it is now, but in the info it would have the original forger, and it would say who it was edited by. So there would be no way they’d be able to claim it as theirs, just an edit of the previous authors work.

I personally don’t like the idea of locking down forge maps, I think it is a massive step in the wrong direction if you ask me.

> 2533274837720524;4:
> What would be smart(I think)is if they kept it the same as it is now, but in the info it would have the original forger, and it would say who it was edited by. So there would be no way they’d be able to claim it as theirs, just an edit of the previous authors work.
>
> I personally don’t like the idea of locking down forge maps, I think it is a massive step in the wrong direction if you ask me.

That’s understandable, as much as I’d like to lock my maps off completely I can also see the value of others having the opportunity to make changes to whatever maps they come across. As long as the original author is accurate then letting people have free reign is okay.

> 2533274975565198;5:
> > 2533274837720524;4:
> > What would be smart(I think)is if they kept it the same as it is now, but in the info it would have the original forger, and it would say who it was edited by. So there would be no way they’d be able to claim it as theirs, just an edit of the previous authors work.
> >
> > I personally don’t like the idea of locking down forge maps, I think it is a massive step in the wrong direction if you ask me.
>
> That’s understandable, as much as I’d like to lock my maps off completely I can also see the value of others having the opportunity to make changes to whatever maps they come across. As long as the original author is accurate then letting people have free reign is okay.

Of course. I definitely understand your concerns. It really surprises me that they don’t have a system in place like I suggested or something similar to keep map thieves away.

Just do like Forza does with the art design feature, you have the option to lock it or not.

OG author credit , extend that to pre-fabs and game types too.

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not post spam.</mark>
*Original post. Click at your own discretion.

> 2533274856481409;8:
> OG author credit , extend that to pre-fabs and game types too.

i agree

They could just do it how Reach did it. In Reach, there were two names on a map: the original creator and the person who saved a copy of the map or edited the map in any way. So it could be like “Created By: Virulent Ending” and below that, “Edited By: Scooby Dooberts” and that way there’s no confusion as to who actually created the map

> 2533274908070201;10:
> They could just do it how Reach did it. In Reach, there were two names on a map: the original creator and the person who saved a copy of the map or edited the map in any way. So it could be like “Created By: Virulent Ending” and below that, “Edited By: Scooby Dooberts” and that way there’s no confusion as to who actually created the map

We have something similar to that now, but it’s exceedingly easy to overwrite one’s own name over the original authors. I didn’t do much forging in Reach, but I’ve heard it was fairly airtight compared to how Halo 5’s is.

> 2592250499819446;7:
> Just do like Forza does with the art design feature, you have the option to lock it or not.

There’s an option to hide your stuff from search visibility, but there’s ways around it unfortunately.

Original creation date for the map file & saved/edited by others copies get later dates alongside of creation/saved marking on how the map is obtained?

Simply uneditable text files that are included in all maps automatically.

Alongside permanent original creator tag in all created maps, obviously.

> 2533274975565198;12:
> > 2592250499819446;7:
> > Just do like Forza does with the art design feature, you have the option to lock it or not.
>
> There’s an option to hide your stuff from search visibility, but there’s ways around it unfortunately.

Last time I played Forza players could create skins for cars and lock them, same with tuning. They’re visible and can be used but they cannot be modified by anyone except the original designer. I see no reason why forge maps cannot have a lock feature.