MAP FEEDBACK THREAD: Parasitic(living dead - community)

Parasitic

any and all feedback is welcome, whether it be good or bad as long as it is constructive.

parasitic is a zealot variant i made for the living dead playlist, the main goal was to remove any easily held positions and to provide obstructions for the survivors while being cover for the zombies.

at the moment i’m currently looking into a possible exploit that i may have over looked, not going to reveal what it is or how to do it though.

Update 14.01.2012:
added kill boundaries to the blocked off area and raised the barriers slightly

Update 3.01.12:
map getting updated in MM!, exploiters enjoy :wink:

It’s certainly better than the default one. But the covenant barriers are sometimes annoying. But in a good way. Then you can’t run cirkels forever.

I think it’s pretty good. So I give it a 9 out of 10. But I’d rather have custom forge world maps in Living Dead.

Like Halo 3 had the spooky house and the mansion or manor.

> It’s certainly better than the default one. But the covenant barriers are sometimes annoying. But in a good way. Then you can’t run cirkels forever.
>
> I think it’s pretty good. So I give it a 9 out of 10. But I’d rather have custom forge world maps in Living Dead.
>
> Like Halo 3 had the spooky house and the mansion or manor.

thanks and i understand your frustration, actual forged maps designed for infection would be ideal but currently all infection maps have to be compatible with 4 player split screen, this requirement pretty much rules out every single forge map, i honestly don’t even know bedlam and uncongealed are in matchmaking because i don’t think they work well on 4 player split, bedlam gets some framerate drops in full screen already when you have every other person on your screen …

> i honestly don’t even know bedlam and uncongealed are in matchmaking because i don’t think they work well on 4 player split, bedlam gets some framerate drops in full screen already when you have every other person on your screen …

Both of the original maps are borderline for 4 split performance already, and Asylum is basically the lowest a map can go already. Both Bedlam and Uncongealed actually have the same amount or less objects than the original maps.

> Parasitic
> at the moment i’m currently looking into a possible exploit that i may have over looked, not going to reveal what it is or how to do it though.

Are you talking about people getting behind/above the barriers?

> > i honestly don’t even know bedlam and uncongealed are in matchmaking because i don’t think they work well on 4 player split, bedlam gets some framerate drops in full screen already when you have every other person on your screen …
>
> Both of the original maps are borderline for 4 split performance already, and Asylum is basically the lowest a map can go already. Both Bedlam and Uncongealed actually have the same amount or less objects than the original maps.

yea, i already know they use the same objects just moved but i’m already getting framerate issues on bedlam in fullscreen but then again, that could just be the lights on those stupid bridges, uncongealed i geuss i’ll take your word for it.

This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not flame or attack other members.

>

something don’t show up in testing, it is obvious that none of us though to double jump it and instead thought no one could get there by jumping by themselves, it was just a simple oversight and there is no need to and try and tell us how to do our job.

i bet you over look things yourself as well, the reason i asked you to remove it is so less people will be aware of it so it won’t get abused as much, this is for the good of the playlist because that exploit will just ruin it.

>

There are tens of thousands of players everyday trying to find those “spots”,its bound to happen, not a big deal.

>

i’d rather it get abused later rather then sooner, or i get it updated before anyone figures it out, there is an exploit in invasion breakpoint that nearly no one knows about but this exploit destroys the entire first phase.

> something don’t show up in testing, it is obvious that none of us though to double jump it and instead thought no one could get there by jumping by themselves, it was just a simple oversight and there is no need to and try and tell us how to do our job.
>
> i bet you over look things yourself as well, the reason i asked you to remove it is so less people will be aware of it so it won’t get abused as much, this is for the good of the playlist because that exploit will just ruin it.

How could you overlook a double jump? It was one of the most common ways to break infection maps in Halo 3. It’s not like it would go away in Halo : Reach. It happens in Matchmaking and it will happen on every map ever built. People look for advantages and will abuse them until the end.

“For the good of the playlist”? A playlist full of broken maps riddled with such spots. So I let the world know about your screw up… so what? Deal with it. Perhaps next time you won’t attempt to block off an area without doing it right.

The first thing I did when I forged through each map was test the boundaries and blocked off areas. As soon as I saw that big gap in the barriers, first thing I did was destroy them to see if I was able to jump through. Then I noticed the huge gap up top and knew exactly where I’d head if I partied up with anyone.

First thing you do in a survival situation is look for the most easily defensible position… and that stuck out like a sore thumb.

As for me, I’ll tell you this much… the first thing I’d always do is try to break my map. The second thing I’d always do is… try and break my map.

> > something don’t show up in testing, it is obvious that none of us though to double jump it and instead thought no one could get there by jumping by themselves, it was just a simple oversight and there is no need to and try and tell us how to do our job.
> >
> > i bet you over look things yourself as well, the reason i asked you to remove it is so less people will be aware of it so it won’t get abused as much, this is for the good of the playlist because that exploit will just ruin it.
>
> How could you overlook a double jump? It was one of the most common ways to break infection maps in Halo 3. It’s not like it would go away in Halo : Reach. It happens in Matchmaking and it will happen on every map ever built. People look for advantages and will abuse them until the end.

quite easily, the thought never came to mind and it is something i always forget about since i never take any notice of it so for me, it is an easy mistake for me to make and probably a lot of other people as well …

i did look for ways to break it myself but i put to much focus on the side blocks and not enough on the front, i took a quick look and tested to see if i could break through or jump through by myself and that showed that i couldn’t so then i focused mostly on the sides because those where a huge issue to get placed just right so you can’t squeeze on through, when something else has your attention makes it easy for you to overlook something else…

> “For the good of the playlist”? A playlist full of broken maps riddled with such spots. So I let the world know about your screw up… so what? Deal with it. Perhaps next time you won’t attempt to block off an area without doing it right.

if people don’t abuse it then they can have fun playing on it, if people abuse it then there is no fun to be had, so if know one knows about it then they don’t abuse it, if they don’t abuse it then people will have fun.

i did block off the area right, i did it using minimal objects to allow for 4 way split screen, if you think it could have been done better without affecting 4 way split screen then by all means, make your own variant and submit it.

> The first thing I did when I forged through each map was test the boundaries and blocked off areas. As soon as I saw that big gap in the barriers, first thing I did was destroy them to see if I was able to jump through. Then I noticed the huge gap up top and knew exactly where I’d head if I partied up with anyone.

if i understand this right, you went through and edited each map to look for exploits?
well, those edits that you made could have created the exploits that you are currently seeing, perhaps you should just look at the maps instead of editing them.

> First thing you do in a survival situation is look for the most easily defensible position… and that stuck out like a sore thumb.

most players don’t look up so it will be extremely easy for them to miss, it isn’t easily defensible as such but more of an accidental fortress that blocks out the zombies instead of you defending yourself

> As for me, I’ll tell you this much… the first thing I’d always do is try to break my map. The second thing I’d always do is… try and break my map.

i always try to break my maps, it is something i usually think of while building the areas to save me the time of going back and maybe re-building the area or using kill boundries, but, if i did this as the secound thing then my maps would never be built …

> How could you overlook a double jump? It was one of the most common ways to break infection maps in Halo 3. It’s not like it would go away in Halo : Reach. It happens in Matchmaking and it will happen on every map ever built. People look for advantages and will abuse them until the end.

I still haven’t gotten a chance to give the maps a proper look-over. Parasitic had a double-jump exploit? Well, blam…

Well, I guess now might be time for a piece of advice that I should’ve thought to offer during the maps’ development: always test with at least one assistant in the match, and remember that through a variety of glitch-jumps in Reach, cooperating Humans can jump up to three times the usual height. Softkill, softkill, softkill!

@A Haunted Army: I know a few guys that might be able to help you test for more breaks. PM me.

> if i understand this right, you went through and edited each map to look for exploits?
> well, those edits that you made could have created the exploits that you are currently seeing, perhaps you should just look at the maps instead of editing them.

That’s not what he meant. I’ve never once heard “Forged through” used to refer to anything other than flying (and occasionally walking/jumping) through a map in Forge; a “Forge-through” doesn’t imply actually making edits.

> > How could you overlook a double jump? It was one of the most common ways to break infection maps in Halo 3. It’s not like it would go away in Halo : Reach. It happens in Matchmaking and it will happen on every map ever built. People look for advantages and will abuse them until the end.
>
> I still haven’t gotten a chance to give the maps a proper look-over. Parasitic had a double-jump exploit? Well, blam…
>
> Well, I guess now might be time for a piece of advice that I should’ve thought to offer during the maps’ development: always test with at least one assistant in the match, and remember that through a variety of glitch-jumps in Reach, cooperating Humans can jump up to three times the usual height. Softkill, softkill, softkill!
>
> @A Haunted Army: I know a few guys that might be able to help you test for more breaks. PM me.

where, XBL, RP, here …? but yea, i’ll take you up on that offer.

> > if i understand this right, you went through and edited each map to look for exploits?
> > well, those edits that you made could have created the exploits that you are currently seeing, perhaps you should just look at the maps instead of editing them.
>
> That’s not what he meant. I’ve never once heard “Forged through” used to refer to anything other than flying (and occasionally walking/jumping) through a map in Forge; a “Forge-through” doesn’t imply actually making edits.

i’d never even seen or herd that term before so i guess you can call me ignorant on that one but i see “forged” as created or edited, so, forged through to me means he edited the maps …

> where, XBL, RP, here …? but yea, i’ll take you up on that offer.

PM’d you here, but I should note that the second guy I mentioned? I don’t know if he got the news that maps made it in, so I don’t know if he’ll be active or available.

> i’d never even seen or herd that term before so i guess you can call me ignorant on that one but i see “forged” as created or edited, so, forged through to me means he edited the maps …

I see. Understandable that you haven’t heard it – but yeah, when Max says he “Forged through” your map, all he means is that he explored it in Forge mode. I doubt he made any edits when checking for exploits (what would be the point?).

> > where, XBL, RP, here …? but yea, i’ll take you up on that offer.
>
> PM’d you here, but I should note that the second guy I mentioned? I don’t know if he got the news that maps made it in, so I don’t know if he’ll be active or available.
>
>
>
> > i’d never even seen or herd that term before so i guess you can call me ignorant on that one but i see “forged” as created or edited, so, forged through to me means he edited the maps …
>
> I see. Understandable that you haven’t heard it – but yeah, when Max says he “Forged through” your map, all he means is that he explored it in Forge mode. I doubt he made any edits when checking for exploits (what would be the point?).

thanks, i did reply but your inbox is full …

i always hate those terms that are open to interpretation, they always get me confused or getting the wrong end of the stick…

> thanks, i did reply but your inbox is full …

It’s full? The forums made no indication of this to me.

Deleted some. You’ll have to resend yours, though.

> it is an easy mistake for me to make and probably a lot of other people as well …

… and that’s exactly why maps get broken all the time, and why many maps don’t make it into Matchmaking.

Don’t feel bad, though. Bungie couldn’t even get it right.

> if people don’t abuse it then they can have fun playing on it, if people abuse it then there is no fun to be had, so if know one knows about it then they don’t abuse it, if they don’t abuse it then people will have fun.

That’s just plain naive. Your motivation may be to play the game the way that you envision, but that is not everyone else’s motivation. Griefers being as apparent as they are… are a shining example that not everyone plays for the same reasons. Heck, the HLG should be a shining example of why you need to check for stuff like that.

> i did block off the area right.

If so, then why are we having this discussion? Ummm… yeah.

> if i understand this right, you went through and edited each map to look for exploits?
> well, those edits that you made could have created the exploits that you are currently seeing, perhaps you should just look at the maps instead of editing them.

As David pointed out, a forge through is going into forge mode and doing a run through… hence a forge mode, run through.

> most players don’t look up so it will be extremely easy for them to miss

Most players don’t look up? Are you serious? If most players don’t look up, then please explain why The Cage became Uncaged… or explain why Deadwalk has soft kill zones added to all light fixtures and canopies… or why Sword Base needed soft kill zones on the ledge… or why just about every game on Asylum has a player on top of the buildings. EVERYONE looks up because height advantage = map control.

Hell, the fact that you have to take 4 player split screen into consideration should raise a HUGE red flag to you… 4 players on the same xbox will work together to break a map.

> i always try to break my maps, it is something i usually think of while building the areas to save me the time of going back and maybe re-building the area or using kill boundries…

Well then… you’re not very good at breaking maps.

> > it is an easy mistake for me to make and probably a lot of other people as well …
>
> … and that’s exactly why maps get broken all the time, and why many maps don’t make it into Matchmaking.
>
> Don’t feel bad, though. Bungie couldn’t even get it right.

things get over looked all the time, it really isn’t a big deal as long as it gets updated …

> > if people don’t abuse it then they can have fun playing on it, if people abuse it then there is no fun to be had, so if know one knows about it then they don’t abuse it, if they don’t abuse it then people will have fun.
>
> That’s just plain naive. Your motivation may be to play the game the way that you envision, but that is not everyone else’s motivation. Griefers being as apparent as they are… are a shining example that not everyone plays for the same reasons. Heck, the HLG should be a shining example of why you need to check for stuff like that.

it is naive for me to want people to have fun on my map? i know peoples motivations are different which is why i don’t want people to know about it, as long as they don’t know about it then they won’t be abusing it so every one can have fun excluding those campers.

> > i did block off the area right.
>
> If so, then why are we having this discussion? Ummm… yeah.

well, i forgot 1 detail but how i blocked it off is right for 4 player split screen, anymore objects then i fear there could be framerate issues, if i could have done it differently and better then please, enlighten me, and don’t say kill zones, i was just lazy and though they weren’t needed due a blind and stupid assumption leading to this discussions…

> > most players don’t look up so it will be extremely easy for them to miss
>
> Most players don’t look up? Are you serious? If most players don’t look up, then please explain why The Cage became Uncaged… or explain why Deadwalk has soft kill zones added to all light fixtures and canopies… or why Sword Base needed soft kill zones on the ledge… or why just about every game on Asylum has a player on top of the buildings. EVERYONE looks up because height advantage = map control.
>
> Hell, the fact that you have to take 4 player split screen into consideration should raise a HUGE red flag to you… 4 players on the same xbox will work together to break a map.

they don’t, only a small minority of players actually look up to look for exploits, routes and stuff, the other people who use these and abuse them learn them from other people and not from actually discovering it themselves.

> > i always try to break my maps, it is something i usually think of while building the areas to save me the time of going back and maybe re-building the area or using kill boundries…
>
> Well then… you’re not very good at breaking maps.

yes because one map totally gives an accurate representation.

anyway, with the help from the little moa i’ve gone and blocked off the exploit and added the map to my fileshare, the name in the OP shall contain a link to the updated version.

its ok. Remove the stupid color effect and let me back into space an im good with it