MAP FEEDBACK THREAD: Overgrowth (Invasion)

Please provide constructive feedback for the invasion map Overgrowth.

Overgrowth is a spartan defense invasion map, located in the canyon of forge-world.
Created by AbleSir Thomas and Yardbird92
Map Description: Weathered by time, this facility still stands to protect its secrets.
YouTube feature

Map Description: Weathered by time, this facility still stands to protect its secrets.

Weapons
t1: 2 dmrs at 30 secs, 2 needle rifles at 30 secs.
t2: 1 shotgun at 60 secs, 1 sniper at 120 secs, 1 laser at 120 secs, 1 rocket at 120secs, 1 focus rifle at 45 secs.
t3: 1 frg at 120 secs, 1 plasma launcher at 90 secs

Vehicles
t2: 1 wraith at 30 secs, 1 ghost at 15 secs, 1 warthog at 30 secs.
t3: 1 banshee at 30 secs, 1 scorpion at 30 secs.

Enjoy the map

Dont forget the shotty on T2.

oops
sleep deprivation is not fun lol

Its ok :3 Still others to go and leave feedback for I’m gonna play this all day! ^^ Oh I should save this map too owo

To Yardbird92…Loadout Camera=Lots of Rocks!! that is all

The design seems kinda… random, but it certainly provides for a lot of cover! I foresee lots of interesting gameplay on it! Great job :slight_smile:

After playing some more games on this were I actually managed to spawn as the middle team with DMR’s I think it’s too easy for the middle team elites to defend.

Granted the teams were a little lopsided but I found that I could perch up on the middle rocks in front of the objectives and put fire on the elites attacking right/left. If I took fire from these sides I just backed down until I regained shields. It just felt too much of an advantage for the defending team but I’ll need to get more games on it before I can say much more regarding that. It could be compared to Spire but not nearly as much of an advantage, it’s possible that players will learn to team shoot to remove a player camping on the middle rocks.

That’s my initial impressions in a matchmaking environment, tier 2/3 seems decent so far.

@BK

sounds like just a skill gap issue. The middle rock is intended for elites to anchor to, the goal of middle spartans should be to keep them off that perch.

So it sounds like you did it right and the other team did it wrong…lol

Coming from someone who has played about 2,700 games of invasion, there is 1 major issue with all 4 maps. Why do the Spartans need to die to be able to get their power weapons. This is ridiculous. At t2 the elites can have a ghost and revenant/wraith and Spartans have no way to take them out unless they die so they can get the laser. It’s so stupid. To be able to defend the core phase effectively, Spartans need access to their power weapons. All of the elites vehicles and power weapons are just out in the open but everything for the Spartans is closed off behind shields.

What needs to be changed : remove 1 way shields in front of weapon spawns.

The t1 spartan spawns are too close to the objective capture zone. Move the spawns back a little. Also, remove the 1 way barrier for spartans. Maybe consider adding more cover for the elites too, its tough even getting to the 1st wave capture zone.

> Coming from someone who has played about 2,700 games of invasion, there is 1 major issue with all 4 maps. Why do the Spartans need to die to be able to get their power weapons. This is ridiculous. At t2 the elites can have a ghost and revenant/wraith and Spartans have no way to take them out unless they die so they can get the laser. It’s so stupid. To be able to defend the core phase effectively, Spartans need access to their power weapons. All of the elites vehicles and power weapons are just out in the open but everything for the Spartans is closed off behind shields.

That’s the way it’s setup on Breakpoint, it’s to stop elites from easily stealing the Spartan weapons. Also you can pretty much DMR a ghost to death 1v1 as vehicles are extremely weak or just teamshoot the elite vehicles with DMR’s. Not only that but you can pick up plasma pistols from the bodies of dead elites which is another effective way of taking out vehicles.

I don’t see this as an issue :confused:

But you should not have to die to get your weapons. This is also why breakpoint is an awful invasion map. I have a good k/d in invasion and I don’t like to die. There are hundreds more like me. And the hope for getting stuff like laser sprees and be the bullets are out of the question since you can only get the weapon once since you have to die again to get more ammo.

Above post is a good point. I should not have to die to access my own weapon stores.

In adddition this map suffers from similar problems in the other new invasion maps:

1. Lines of sight are crowded and difficult to see movement of people around map (inherantly favoring offense since defense is never sure what direction people are coming from)

2. Tank is EXTREMELY difficult to manuever on this map, effectively making it a giant turret, which is no fun for anyone.

3. Offense spawns so close to combat there is little incentive to stay alive and spawn on partner

Overall my biggest concern is still the crowded LOS. These must open up, this map is extremely poor at allowing people to see one another. I don’t want an open field to shoot hapless elites, but I must be able to quickly judge where a team is moving so I can help my team. Otherwise I end up just sprinting back and forth to cap points and meleeing because no one has been shot.

In addition there seems to be a glitch whereby all opposing players have a red marker above their names when I play. Defeats any attempt to hide or escape from combat since I know where everyone is constantly.

TL:DR edition, Map currently broken, remove clutter, help defense hold ground, move elite spawns backward. Glitch with markers defeats purpose of game.

> But you should not have to die to get your weapons. This is also why breakpoint is an awful invasion map. I have a good k/d in invasion and I don’t like to die. There are hundreds more like me. And the hope for getting stuff like laser sprees and be the bullets are out of the question since you can only get the weapon once since you have to die again to get more ammo.

Breakpoint is awful? LOL

Perhaps you should play 2700 more Invasion games and try building at least one.

> > But you should not have to die to get your weapons. This is also why breakpoint is an awful invasion map. I have a good k/d in invasion and I don’t like to die. There are hundreds more like me. And the hope for getting stuff like laser sprees and be the bullets are out of the question since you can only get the weapon once since you have to die again to get more ammo.
>
> Breakpoint is awful? LOL
>
> Perhaps you should play 2700 more Invasion games and try building at least one.

Dont get me wrong, Breakpoint is a good map, and is way better than the 4 maps put in yesterday, but its still not a good Invasion map.

> > > But you should not have to die to get your weapons. This is also why breakpoint is an awful invasion map. I have a good k/d in invasion and I don’t like to die. There are hundreds more like me. And the hope for getting stuff like laser sprees and be the bullets are out of the question since you can only get the weapon once since you have to die again to get more ammo.
> >
> > Breakpoint is awful? LOL
> >
> > Perhaps you should play 2700 more Invasion games and try building at least one.
>
> Dont get me wrong, Breakpoint is a good map, and is way better than the 4 maps put in yesterday, but its still not a good Invasion map.

Breakpoint does things better than Boneyard and Boneyard does things better than Breakpoint.

A hybrid of the two would be the ideal Invasion Map.

> > > > But you should not have to die to get your weapons. This is also why breakpoint is an awful invasion map. I have a good k/d in invasion and I don’t like to die. There are hundreds more like me. And the hope for getting stuff like laser sprees and be the bullets are out of the question since you can only get the weapon once since you have to die again to get more ammo.
> > >
> > > Breakpoint is awful? LOL
> > >
> > > Perhaps you should play 2700 more Invasion games and try building at least one.
> >
> > Dont get me wrong, Breakpoint is a good map, and is way better than the 4 maps put in yesterday, but its still not a good Invasion map.
>
> Breakpoint does things better than Boneyard and Boneyard does things better than Breakpoint.
>
> A hybrid of the two would be the ideal Invasion Map.

Funny you mentioned that. I’m currently working on a map that combines elements of both, but with Spartans on offense. I’ll put up something on the recruiting forum (for people to playtest it) when it’s finished and needs more than basic testing.

> > Coming from someone who has played about 2,700 games of invasion, there is 1 major issue with all 4 maps. Why do the Spartans need to die to be able to get their power weapons. This is ridiculous. At t2 the elites can have a ghost and revenant/wraith and Spartans have no way to take them out unless they die so they can get the laser. It’s so stupid. To be able to defend the core phase effectively, Spartans need access to their power weapons. All of the elites vehicles and power weapons are just out in the open but everything for the Spartans is closed off behind shields.
>
> That’s the way it’s setup on Breakpoint, it’s to stop elites from easily stealing the Spartan weapons. Also you can pretty much DMR a ghost to death 1v1 as vehicles are extremely weak or just teamshoot the elite vehicles with DMR’s. Not only that but you can pick up plasma pistols from the bodies of dead elites which is another effective way of taking out vehicles.
>
> I don’t see this as an issue :confused:

I agree with VagueC here. The shields suck.

If you let you Sniper get stolen then you should get sniped everytime you stick your head out. Hell you can now go afk half the match if you wanted to.

This map has serious design flaws, and although intense is not that much fun to play on.

Obviously we have mentioned shield doors, but defense in the first wave is difficult becuase of the tight rock filled field and the open section to the hills. This gives elite needlers the ability to work at its ideal range without a chance for spartans to escape easily. Reducing early clutter would allow good shooting to hold elites back and work to control sides of the map.

Death grenading and meleeing in hill is rampanant because players are hard to shoot before the hill and both players end up jumping into hill at close range. Finally, all vehicles on 2nd and 3rd round are difficult to manuever which is no fun for the driver and results in static shooting in many cases. Clearing up pathways to move is critical if vehicle number is too remain, otherise reduce number and make many small fast vehicles.

I especially love the Scorpion in t3, got a 15 streak with it, without the 'Scorp, that enemy team would have won, but no, I provided AA support , and when those Elites tried to bring their precious core, I blast 'em…My only worries is that happen to me when I’m on the Elite side xD, but I’m pretty sure there’s a strategy to defeat the Scorpion otherwise you wouldn’t have put the overpowered thing in the map…

That being said, the endgame Easter egg inside the cave was pretty creative, thumbs up for that…Well really thumbs down, WTH would the Elites forces conduct a 6 alien invasion invasion upon a facility, facing up against 6 Spartan and Mr. Tank, just to get a

Soccer Ball?xD

WHY?!?!??

Finally, the only REAL problem I have with this map is the T1 Invasion…if the Elites are being spawn trapped, they need to have a …whatcha call it…a “panic” button so they can get out of the spawn killing spree of the Spartans…What I suggest is that after a certain time, like very close to the ending of the round, a power weapon, Rocket Launcher,FRG, or something spawn near one of the Needle Rifles…That way, Elites can trun the tides if they’re being spawn trapped, or anything similar to that