MAP FEEDBACK THREAD: Abridged (C) HEAVY TEST!

Created by theforceswithin and Schmittler 5000, Abridged is one of the Community additions to the Big Team Battle Playlist.

> 5/22/2012 - HEAVY VARIANT PLAYTEST IMMINENT!
>
> Hello again forum goers! Schmittler and I have a date for a playtest of the Heavy Version of Abridged we’ve been working on available if we have any takers. It will be on Thursday May 24th at 7:00pm Eastern Time and we welcome all. If you want, desire and NEED to be in… Weeeeell just post your gamertag on this thread and we’ll be sure to send you an invite. And as always we are still welcoming thoughts and suggestions.

Download Updated Version (11/11/2011):

*This latest version has some minor adjustments based off of feedback from this thread. The Flythrough below if of the version before, but the changes in this latest one can be seen in the change list in bold.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=24896429&player=Schmittler+5000

> Flythrough of New Version! Special Thanks to Negative 9
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzCzurRGb7E

We have heard your complaints and we have responded. This updated version has been in works for the entirety of the summer and it seems 343 should finally be updating the Community Maps.

We’ve spent a significant amount of time updating the map to address the issues that players cited while playing the map. Please download the map and also take a look at the changes listed below. It’s a bit lengthy, but we highlighted what we thought were the most important parts.

We assure you we are listening, please let your thoughts and feelings be heard. All of these changes have been based around the high quality feedback we received at the Optimatch forum and we hope to continue that here.

> Updated Version
>
> Items with stars (*) located next to them are what we believe are the key improvements.
>
> ***Weapons:
>
> - Plasma Launchers at base removed. One PL in center where sniper was previously located. Grenade Launchers replaced in bases.
>
> -Sniper is now in the tunnel underneath the bridge where GL previously spawned.
>
> -Shotguns removed, replaced with Spikers.
>
> -Plasma Repeaters added to both Bases.
> -Assault Rifles added to Concussion towers opposite Concussion Rifles.
> -Plasma Repeater under Sword-Spawn removed.
>
> Objectives:
>
> *- Multi-flag has been improved. The flags now spawn in the front of the base a few feet from the GL (previous PL spawn).
>
> - The Center Territory has been moved to a more cover-friendly spot.
>
> Changes in Terrain:
>
> ***-A teleporter has been added inside the base that leads up to the Two Story (Concussion) Towers. Significantly improves movement.
>
> -Coliseum Wall added to the left of Blue Base (facing the bridge) to compensate for lack of terrain.
>
> -Bases have been redone. There are less bumps, less hiding spots, and are more vehicle friendly.
>
> -Large Rock added near Blue Base to prevent spawn-camping from Sword-Bridge Entrance
> -Blue Side Rocket Platform adjusted to allow Warthogs to drive under
>
> ***-The gravity lift to the Falcon has been moved into the base to stop vehicles getting stuck in a permanent floating state.
>
> Spawns and Killzones:
>
> -CTF Flag Away Spawns Added! No more clearing out bases and having enemies spawn right in front of you.
>
> ***-Killzones have been overhauled. It is now possible to fly underneath the bridge and there are no HLG spots that we have found to be a problem.
> Other respawn points and slight tweaks that are not worthy of your attention have also been implemented. The changes above are the most important.

Let us know what you like and what you don’t like!

We are glad to hear any criticism, complaints, input, praise, or feedback that you can offer. Schmittler 5000 and I plan to respond to any questions or criticism you might have, but there are certain things that will be ignored. Here is a list to guide you on your journey to receive a response:

-No flaming or trolling.

-If you don’t enjoy the map, at least have the decency to explain your reasons why. It is perfectly acceptable to have problems with the map, but comments like “This map sucks” or “Remove this from MM” aren’t going to help make the map any better.

-There are also suggestions that will be overlooked if they stray from the original intentions of the map. For example, “Add Snipers to each base” or “Add Banshees to this level” are things that will not happen. Ever

With your help, we hope to make a map that is suitable for all players.

*Note: The name “Abridged” has dual meaning. Many features in this map were stripped down to their most basic form in order to reduce frame-rate issues. It may not be as “pretty” as we had initially hoped, but there is very little that can be done about that. Thank you for understanding.

Let 'er rip!

Any questions can be directed toward theforceswithin or myself, Schmittler 5000.

We really want to know what you guys think of the changes. It’s been a while since we could gather feedback in this manner and we’re excited to be updated on your thoughts.

Sounds great, I had a play around with the map myself as it is one of my favourites.

Im living all the changes you’ve done so far, especially the grenade launcher replacement of the blueberries. The only thing I might suggest without having looked at your map yet, is moving the sniper from underground to where the sword is as there is alot of movement around this part of the map.

Replace the rocket hogs with normal hogs and put one rocket hog underground in a side bay.

Since people seem to camp quite abit in the bases I changed the x3 building to the more open x2 building. This added abit more room to the bases for vehicle movement while making them less camp able.

Not sure what I think about allowing flight under the bridge but could work well.

I’ve downloaded your new version to have a look at that, I’m going to have a tinker with mine then put it up here so you can see what changes I made.

Thanks for making this map! It’s great and is the only map that really utilises the falcon.

> Sounds great, I had a play around with the map myself as it is one of my favourites.
>
> Im living all the changes you’ve done so far, especially the grenade launcher replacement of the blueberries. The only thing I might suggest without having looked at your map yet, is moving the sniper from underground to where the sword is as there is alot of movement around this part of the map.
>
> Replace the rocket hogs with normal hogs and put one rocket hog underground in a side bay.
>
> Since people seem to camp quite abit in the bases I changed the x3 building to the more open x2 building. This added abit more room to the bases for vehicle movement while making them less camp able.
>
> Not sure what I think about allowing flight under the bridge but could work well.
>
> I’ve downloaded your new version to have a look at that, I’m going to have a tinker with mine then put it up here so you can see what changes I made.
>
> Thanks for making this map! It’s great and is the only map that really utilises the falcon.

Thanks for the response!

We haven’t considered making the bases more open, as you suggested, but it might not be a bad idea at all. I think with the flags set up the way they are now there will be less incentive to camp, so we will keep our eyes on it and see what could be done.

The reason we didn’t put the Sniper where the sword is was because there was already a lot of traffic in that area of the map. Since that was another one of the complaints we received we wanted to reduce that traffic and also force players to find their own sniping spot rather than be given one. I don’t know if that clears the issue up for you, but we thought it made sense.

I would definitely consider the removal of the rocket hogs if it wasn’t out of fear that the Falcon is going to become OP. That is already the biggest concern we have, so we would be very hesitant to make that transition.

I’m glad you enjoy the map and are in agreement with most of the changes we made, as that means the changes aren’t negatively affecting a player that previously enjoyed the map.

Make sure you stop by again after you’ve looked it over and let us know what you think!

I actually liked the old version better. I guess I’ll have to live with the changes.

Changes sounds great, this map and Wayont are actually my favorite BTB maps, keep the good work.

> I actually liked the old version better. I guess I’ll have to live with the changes.

What about the changes do you dislike?

We still want to take this into consideration as we don’t want to isolate players that enjoy the map.

Well, I liked where the Shotguns and Plasma Launchers were. I like some of thr changes, but I’m more used to the old version.

@Gabotron ES

Thank you, it is very much appreciated!

> Many features in this map were stripped down to their most basic form in order to reduce frame-rate.

I think you meant to say increase frame rate.

On an a somewhat helpful note, this is my favorite community map it BTB, I’m not sure if you addressed this it your killzone overhaul but sometimes driving a vehicle in the tunnel under the middle of the map will kill it so please fix this if you haven’t already.

> Well, I liked where the Shotguns and Plasma Launchers were. I like some of the changes, but I’m more used to the old version.

I understand your issue there, but we hope that you can see why we might have made the change. Most of the players were asking for a reduction in power weapons, specifically regarding the PL, so we addressed it. I hope that once you become more accustomed to the new version you will still enjoy it an equal amount.

Keep us updated on how you feel when the updated version gets in so that we can adjust accordingly where we see fit.

> > Many features in this map were stripped down to their most basic form in order to reduce frame-rate.
>
> I think you meant to say increase frame rate.
>
> On an a somewhat helpful note, this is my favorite community map it BTB, I’m not sure if you addressed this it your killzone overhaul but sometimes driving a vehicle in the tunnel under the middle of the map will kill it so please fix this if you haven’t already.

You’re right. What we meant to say was to reduce frame rate issues. Thanks for the correction! Our mistake!

I’m glad you enjoy the map! I believe we have fixed that issue with the kill zone, but to make sure I would like it if you could explain the problem in more detail. Is this an instant kill, or is it a “Return to battlefield” notification? We know there was an edge that had stuck out on one side in the tunnel that was a “soft-kill” zone, but I don’t recall there being an issue with any hard kill zones.

Chances are, it has been fixed so long ago that we don’t even remember it being a problem.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chances are you fixed it already but it was an instant death and it happened most often with the ghost and more rarely with the mongoose, I can’t really be any more specific than that but I hope it helps.

I actually didn’t mind the old version. But these changes are ones that I like, so I’m not complaining!

flythru on youtube would generate more views and more hype. seems optimal.

Heres the one I changed awhile ago and just tweaked last night from what you have changed.

Changed Abridged]

Hope it helps

> Chances are you fixed it already but it was an instant death and it happened most often with the ghost and more rarely with the mongoose, I can’t really be any more specific than that but I hope it helps.

Thanks for the heads up. We’ll do a couple drives through with those vehicles to make sure the problem doesn’t persist.

I know it’s a little much to remember but can you tell us how exactly you died? Did the vehicle you were riding explode or shoot off into the ceiling? Or did your spartan just fall of the vehicle? Do you have a video clip of it?

Because what it might be is that some of the geometry in the level that we built might be off alignment and in Forge World it can cause vehicles to randomly shoot off into the distance at light speed. Perhaps the vehicles just hit the ceiling too fast and caused you to die.

If you have a video clip, we’d love to see so we can specify the issue and address it. If not, that’s a-okay.

Thanks in advance!

> I actually didn’t mind the old version. But these changes are ones that I like, so I’m not complaining!

Glad to hear it friend!

> flythru on youtube would generate more views and more hype. seems optimal.

We’d love to but sadly neither of us have a capture card or any render minutes. Good tip though!

> Heres the one I changed awhile ago and just tweaked last night from what you have changed.

Thank you very much good sir! It’s very generous for you to take the time to make the changes you’d like to see. We’ll take a look as soon as we can!

> flythru on youtube would generate more views and more hype. seems optimal.

This. If you guys made a film clip for the flythrough, I’d capture it and upload it to YouTube for you.

> > flythru on youtube would generate more views and more hype. seems optimal.
>
> This. If you guys made a film clip for the flythrough, I’d capture it and upload it to YouTube for you.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion and offer! Theforceswithin and myself will work on that today. We’ll send you a link when it is finished.

I actually had no idea that the original creators can change a map. I guess that’s good. :slight_smile: I haven’y played it very much but I remember that the vehicles getting stuck on the lifts were annoying so I’m glad that’s been fixed. Where did you submit your map to get it into matchmaking since I have a map for BTB?

> I actually had no idea that the original creators can change a map. I guess that’s good. :slight_smile: I haven’y played it very much but I remember that the vehicles getting stuck on the lifts were annoying so I’m glad that’s been fixed. Where did you submit your map to get it into matchmaking since I have a map for BTB?

We actually got it in by winning the Forgetacular contest Bungie.net had about a year ago. I’m sure 343 is looking for maps to add, but I’m not sure where exactly where you could submit it. Try shooting a moderator or someone a message asking where you can submit.

And yes, we can indeed keep the map updated, but we can’t be in control of when it actually gets implemented into matchmaking. That is up to the 343 staff.