Map feedback: Pulse

Pulse is a symmetrical map built in the quarry, suited for Slayer and Objective gametypes. The map creates different playspaces while keeping a reduced size, in order to play fast but still prevent a location from being too dominant. The layout encourages movement as well as teamwork, and offers a good mixture of long, medium and short range fights. This map has been built in order to provide an enjoyable experience to all playstyles, from casual to competitive players.

I hope you all enjoy it.

Please feel free to let me know what you think here.

Sorry Kbo000, but I’m not really too fond of this one. I did not play this until it hit matchmaking, so here’s my feedback.

The main reason I don’t like the map is that end to end LoS straight down the middle of the map. I could hug the wall near the health packs and just pick off players across the map, and I think it’s only a matter of time before others start doing the same. End to end LoS’s are something to take great caution with, not to make the main LoS for a map. Maps like Midship, The Pit and others have end to end LoS from flag to flag or Snipe to Snipe but they weren’t as exploitable as this. Also the BR was not effective at that kind of range, where the DMR is.

The only incentives to move away from your health pack are the Rockets or Sniper. There’s no verticality to fight over, or any power position to encourage map flow. Most of the map is one the same height as that end to end LoS, or on the Quarry below it.

Also, the healthpacks are kind of frustrating to use because we can’t just walk by it and hold X. We have to actually walk between the braces to reach it.

The rest of the map ultimately just leads back to the health packs, where the end to end LoS’s are and that, in my opinion, is another flaw to tack on to the main one. If the rest of the map encouraged players to not exploit those LoS’s then you’d only have that one flaw to deal with, but since the rest of the map just takes you back to the exploitable LoS’s the map now has two major flaws.

Sorry dude. I don’t like pointing out map flaws without being able to also provide a solution, but I don’t know how you could approach a solution without ending up creating a new map.

That’s just my opinion anyway. What I see as a flaw others may see as an asset.

> Sorry Kbo000, but I’m not really too fond of this one. I did not play this until it hit matchmaking, so here’s my feedback.
>
> The main reason I don’t like the map is that end to end LoS straight down the middle of the map. I could hug the wall near the health packs and just pick off players across the map, and I think it’s only a matter of time before others start doing the same. End to end LoS’s are something to take great caution with, not to make the main LoS for a map. Maps like Midship, The Pit and others have end to end LoS from flag to flag or Snipe to Snipe but they weren’t as exploitable as this. Also the BR was not effective at that kind of range, where the DMR is.
>
> The only incentives to move away from your health pack are the Rockets or Sniper. There’s no verticality to fight over, or any power position to encourage map flow. Most of the map is one the same height as that end to end LoS, or on the Quarry below it.
>
> Also, the healthpacks are kind of frustrating to use because we can’t just walk by it and hold X. We have to actually walk between the braces to reach it.
>
> The rest of the map ultimately just leads back to the health packs, where the end to end LoS’s are and that, in my opinion, is another flaw to tack on to the main one. If the rest of the map encouraged players to not exploit those LoS’s then you’d only have that one flaw to deal with, but since the rest of the map just takes you back to the exploitable LoS’s the map now has two major flaws.
>
> Sorry dude. I don’t like pointing out map flaws without being able to also provide a solution, but I don’t know how you could approach a solution without ending up creating a new map.
>
> That’s just my opinion anyway. What I see as a flaw others may see as an asset.

^what he said

It wasn’t very enjoyable playing against higher level players. I normally don’t mind being outplayed, and can tip my hat to a good play. But this was sad, pretty but hurt to the bone.

Thanks, noooooch.
In fact, about the big central los camping and all…that’s what I expected players to do.That, and learn the map, use flanking routes/los, use power weapons in their power zone…
About verticality, well…you have 2 levels, I feel it’s ok regarding to the size of the map; the place to hold is the mid top platform (near green).
It’s a very simple map, and unless the other team is doing really bad, you need to keep moving,so I hope people will learn it quite fast.
Anyway, thanks again.

> Thanks, noooooch.
> In fact, about the big central los camping and all…that’s what I expected players to do.That, and learn the map, use flanking routes/los, use power weapons in their power zone…
> About verticality, well…you have 2 levels, I feel it’s ok regarding to the size of the map; the place to hold is the mid top platform (near green).
> It’s a very simple map, and unless the other team is doing really bad, you need to keep moving,so I hope people will learn it quite fast.
> Anyway, thanks again.

I enjoyed playing on the map very much.

There are a few design quirks I wonder about, though, simply because I am fascinated by what went on in the mind of a map designer when he/she made certain map choices that seem unusual to me.

So: Why did you choose to have Spikers on the map?

Why did you put two isolated Plasma Grenades on the map in the odd places that you put them in?

My one suggestion is to replace the Sniper Rifle with a Focus Rifle. It would be more interesting to use on the long walkway in the middle of the map that Noooooch expressed concern over.

> I enjoyed playing on the map very much.
>
> There are a few design quirks I wonder about, though, simply because I am fascinated by what went on in the mind of a map designer when he/she made certain map choices that seem unusual to me.
>
> So: Why did you choose to have Spikers on the map?
>
> Why did you put two isolated Plasma Grenades on the map in the odd places that you put them in?
>
> My one suggestion is to replace the Sniper Rifle with a Focus Rifle. It would be more interesting to use on the long walkway in the middle of the map that Noooooch expressed concern over.

Spikers : in the path of cqc zones, bottom rockets, bottom mid and top base.
Isolated plasma nades : I wanted players to have a little extra power when taking the lift, and another option when trying to take down the sniper on the green side.
Thanks for your suggestion, all the feedback is seriously considered.
Glad you like it.

I don’t really have the time to type out a monster post about it, but I greatly enjoyed it. The only thing I noticed, no fault of yours at all, was jetpackers have a distinct movement advantage. But that’s just Reach.

I enjoyed playing this map in matchmaking, and I especially enjoy the jump ups you can do by sniper spawn. There’s a lot of weapons and it really drives the map flow. Leaving a sticky in the lift will make for some comedic opportunities as well.

Good map, and keep this in mind; most people that come to the forums aren’t coming to give praise. They’re coming to complain. Take whatever feedback you get with a grain of salt.

there is no reason to push forward on this map, no real reason to even move out from your initial spawn because where you spawns offers everything you need gameplay wise, from this one position you can watch the entire center of the map, rockets spawn and snipe spawn, absoloutly no reason to actually move forward when you have such dominating lines of sight from just this one position, this in the end just causes slow campy gameplay because the dominating lines of sight from that one position really punnishes you for moving.

“well you can flank” well no you can’t, the flanking options that are there is compltelty nullified from the one easily camped position, you can’t sneak around when they see you comming …

I played this map a few times in Arena and I gotta say, I liked it. It has to be one of my favorite community maps. There was decent flow, no-one really camped, there was just the right amount of power weapons (not too much, not too few), the power weapons seemed to fir the map well, the map wasn’t confusing and I had fun on it.
I also like the size of the map. It’s not small enough where you spawn with a grenade inbound to your face, yet not too big where it takes half an hour to find someone.
I can’t speak on behalf of jet-packers since I have not played it in Team Slayer.

> I don’t really have the time to type out a monster post about it, but I greatly enjoyed it. The only thing I noticed, no fault of yours at all, was jetpackers have a distinct movement advantage. But that’s just Reach.
>
> I enjoyed playing this map in matchmaking, and I especially enjoy the jump ups you can do by sniper spawn. There’s a lot of weapons and it really drives the map flow. Leaving a sticky in the lift will make for some comedic opportunities as well.

Nice.
I’m happy that some people enjoy it.

> Good map, and keep this in mind; most people that come to the forums aren’t coming to give praise. They’re coming to complain. Take whatever feedback you get with a grain of salt.

Haha, yes I know, thank you.

It is good to see that there are people enjoying this Kbo… this map, of the 6, was probably my least favorite. I enjoyed the game that I did play on it though and I hope to play it more to get a better feel of how it will hold up in the future. Best of luck to you.

I actually thought it was ok (and at first in the previews I thought it was lame). Granted, it was a lot of “spawn-versus-spawn” battles going on, but I played Slayer DMRs which is always like that. Need to try regular Slayer and maybe some Objective type matches on it.

Map is good, actually. Spawns are lame. There shouldn’t be spawns so close to Sniper. And the spawn system is dynamic. Why does everyone love dynamic spawns? Honestly, it’s horrible.

> I played this map a few times in Arena and I gotta say, I liked it. It has to be one of my favorite community maps. There was decent flow, no-one really camped, there was just the right amount of power weapons (not too much, not too few), the power weapons seemed to fir the map well, the map wasn’t confusing and I had fun on it.
> I also like the size of the map. It’s not small enough where you spawn with a grenade inbound to your face, yet not too big where it takes half an hour to find someone.
> I can’t speak on behalf of jet-packers since I have not played it in Team Slayer.

Thank you, nice to read that.

> It is good to see that there are people enjoying this Kbo… this map, of the 6, was probably my least favorite. I enjoyed the game that I did play on it though and I hope to play it more to get a better feel of how it will hold up in the future. Best of luck to you.

Thanks Godly.

> I actually thought it was ok (and at first in the previews I thought it was lame). Granted, it was a lot of “spawn-versus-spawn” battles going on, but I played Slayer DMRs which is always like that. Need to try regular Slayer and maybe some Objective type matches on it.

Thanks.It’s a very simple layout built with players learning curve in mind; I think it actually offers more than you can say at the first look/game.The more you play it, the more you know wich position/pw use to take the advantage over the other team according to the situation.

@RustedEdge: …mhhh…scratch scratch…it’s static, dude:)


Also, I’d like to thank a lot of people for their work within the forge community:
Invisible people, such as Crisis Hero(Our flame Keeper), who secretly holds sky separated from earth ;)…
Stubborn forge experts…
Self-Banned people…
Well, pretty much everybody at BP.

Last but not least, thank you 343 people for letting us have some user created content up there.

I played this before in a playdate by zerofox…this works wonderful with rockets;it was either the Rocket CTF version,or Spolckets(I think RCTF though),but anyhow it was immensely fun…This map really should be in Action Sack.

Haha, I’ll have to try that, sounds like lots of fun ;).
Glad you like it.

It’s by far the most competitive 4v4 community map in MM now that Select is gone (Imago could be that way, too, if the creator would just fix the spawns), and one of my favorites. The Sprint jump-ups at Sniper are really thoughtful, the spawns generally aren’t too annoying (assuming you don’t push right into their initial), and map and weapon control factor in well with strategy.

> Haha, I’ll have to try that, sounds like lots of fun ;).
> Glad you like it.

Your welcome…Out of ALL of the maps in that playdate,your map was the BEST for Rocket CTF or whatever it was…and he tested that on EVERY map we played

(EDIT:it was team scuds we played,yeah you’re map is just too good NOT to be featured in MM with it…don’t know if Action Sack HAS team scuds, but if it does,this would be a worthy addition…I just can;t stop praising this map,can i?)

> > Haha, I’ll have to try that, sounds like lots of fun ;).
> > Glad you like it.
>
> Your welcome…Out of ALL of the maps in that playdate,your map was the BEST for Rocket CTF or whatever it was…and he tested that on EVERY map we played
>
>
>
> (EDIT:it was team scuds we played,yeah you’re map is just too good NOT to be featured in MM with it…don’t know if Action Sack HAS team scuds, but if it does,this would be a worthy addition…I just can;t stop praising this map,can i?)

<3

> It’s by far the most competitive 4v4 community map in MM now that Select is gone (Imago could be that way, too, if the creator would just fix the spawns), and one of my favorites. The Sprint jump-ups at Sniper are really thoughtful, the spawns generally aren’t too annoying (assuming you don’t push right into their initial), and map and weapon control factor in well with strategy.

Thanks, man.I actually miss Select too, even with it’s sloppy forging…(ouch!, stop it schnitzel, just kidding!).Maybe returning soon?