MAP FEEDBACK: Affinity ***New Version in the works***

> <mark>Update [11/19/11]</mark>
>
> Thanks to the release of Halo CEA I’m back to forging and am working on a MUCH smaller version of Affinity on High Noon (Hang em High). The main structural stuff is almost complete and I’ve got a pretty good grasp on where things are going from here. I’ve taken all of the feedback and hopefully I can keep what people like about the map and fix what people didn’t like about the map. Hopefully soon when I feel it is pretty well put together I will put up a fly through.

Download Link: Affinity
Author: GodlyPerfection

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxWXvO_oOyw

Alright so I know a lot of people HATE Affinity. You don’t need to tell me that… For some it is a bad map, for others it is a great map. I’ve got just as much fan mail/comments as I have hate mail/comments. This was my first real competitive 4v4 map in Reach and it has a very focused style of gameplay. If Affinity isn’t being voted for or it is obvious that a majority of the community does not enjoy it then it will probably be removed from matchmaking just like Atom and Cliffhanger.

What I’m looking for is what minor adjustments do you think could be applied to the map to improve it. I’ve already found a couple of fancy new HLG hiding spots that I’ll be patching up. Maybe some tweaks to weapon spawn times/placement, cover placement, etc. etc. I don’t have the time to do a massive overhaul right now since now I have a new son to take care of, so I apologize.

<em>Try also giving feedback for Château and Think Twice</em>

I haven’t played the map very much, but my first suggestion is add a few more windows that allow you to look out side. Since when I did play it, I felt very claustrophobic with all the gray walls, floors, and ceilings.

Like I said, Affinity could use a few more spawns around the map since there are only 3 places where they spawn; 1st their main court, 2nd near sword, 3rd near rockets.

While Armorlock is frustrating with any intelligent team using it, here its not as effective, though Camo is. The weapons and their ammo sizes are also good.

Late Edit:

Affinity’s honestly not a bad map. I think what ruins it for most people is how some people play it. Camping around their snipe spawn with Camo using Snipe/Sword/Grenade launchers. With 2 people running Camo and the other 2 Armorlock.

Though I have to admit that when any team uses 2 Camo, and 2 Armorlock; Reach transforms into something that is no longer recognizable as a Halo game.

The Map is basically perfect, it probably needs a few tweaks and stuff. But what i think it might need is a few Lifts, or a not-so-complex Tunnel system (Has to be assymetrical to avoid camping) for a faster traveling of the map, and to offer a more strategy-based map, since it’s the way that the game should be played (For most competitive players or Parties).

the map is 2 full floors connected by ramps, this is a very verticle map which is why it is so divided amongst people, i for one don’t really like the map because of where the majority of fighting is but this could be because it conflicts with my play style.

one of the things the really bugs me about the maps is those energy barricades, i feel they aren’t needed to break up the LoS and there is already enough cover there without them.

where the sword spawns i think you’re on the right tracks with this map, around the sides where the brace large ramps are at fairly steep angle i think should have some elevation changes instead of it being a direct route up and down.

the drop down to the objectives is good but i feel that it ruins objective games, with all he objective games i’ve played on it that drop down was just to easy to abuse to take flags and score, i would drop down, grab the flag, run up the brace large and take the drop down to my teams objective.

A fantastic map, especially back when it was used with 2 Flag Slayer in Flagstrava.

> Like I said, Affinity could use a few more spawns around the map since there are only 3 places where they spawn; 1st their main court, 2nd near sword, 3rd near rockets.

I’ve got more spawns on the map, but they are very under used because of the way traffic works on this map. I’ll look into trying to adjust the spawns.

> The Map is basically perfect, it probably needs a few tweaks and stuff. But what i think it might need is a few Lifts, or a not-so-complex Tunnel system (Has to be assymetrical to avoid camping) for a faster traveling of the map, and to offer a more strategy-based map, since it’s the way that the game should be played (For most competitive players or Parties).

Where exactly would these lifts and tunnel system go? The biggest problems right now for putting that in is that the walls can just be carved out of and there aren’t many other pieces that can cover that much space so I don’t have the budget or objects to create a tunnel system.

> one of the things the really bugs me about the maps is those energy barricades, i feel they aren’t needed to break up the LoS and there is already enough cover there without them.

Those energy barricades are there to serve as cover, without breaking up the LOS (keep in mind that is Line of SIGHT). So that way a team can still know that a player is sitting there, but they have to work around the cover to get him. The main reasons those are there is to break the line of fire (LOF) for the sniper rifle because without those the Sniper would be completely dominating on the top level and it would be much easier to setup a power position by setting up the whole team up there. The energy barricades allow teams to use them and be able to get close enough to break up that setup.

> where the sword spawns i think you’re on the right tracks with this map, around the sides where the brace large ramps are at fairly steep angle i think should have some elevation changes instead of it being a direct route up and down.

That’s not a bad idea… you mean the ramps up to the sniper spawn right? Having a sort of mid-platform would break them up nicely and allow me to spawn a weapon there as well and allow players to take cover on that mid platform instead of having to drop all the way down. I’ll keep that in mind for if I ever make any major changes to the map.

> the drop down to the objectives is good but i feel that it ruins objective games, with all he objective games i’ve played on it that drop down was just to easy to abuse to take flags and score, i would drop down, grab the flag, run up the brace large and take the drop down to my teams objective.

That is partly intended since a lot of attention in slayer games is on the top area, so since it is constantly watched by the sniper and people are used to traveling it then you risk getting cut off on your way to the drop down. Also keep in mind that while you are trying to get to your own drop down, the enemy team is also trying to use your own drop down to get into your base so you are bound to run into confrontation taking the top route and going through your own drop down. The drop down serves to force defenders to watch behind them as well as ahead of them making it harder to defend.

I’m working on a new design of Affinity in my head so if I ever get the time to rebuild it then I will be using everything that everyone has been suggesting as a consideration. Thanks for everyone’s feedback.

> > one of the things the really bugs me about the maps is those energy barricades, i feel they aren’t needed to break up the LoS and there is already enough cover there without them.
>
> Those energy barricades are there to serve as cover, without breaking up the LOS (keep in mind that is Line of SIGHT). So that way a team can still know that a player is sitting there, but they have to work around the cover to get him. The main reasons those are there is to break the line of fire (LOF) for the sniper rifle because without those the Sniper would be completely dominating on the top level and it would be much easier to setup a power position by setting up the whole team up there. The energy barricades allow teams to use them and be able to get close enough to break up that setup.

i understand what you mean but i think the pillar in the center area is enough and not having those barricades there might encourage more map movement but you probably tested with and without and with was the better of the 2.

the other thing about them is that when a person breaks them it won’t dissapear on some screens and i think the effects of it are still in place, if they aren’t players will still not shoot at the person behind them when they can because it looks like you can’t.

> > where the sword spawns i think you’re on the right tracks with this map, around the sides where the brace large ramps are at fairly steep angle i think should have some elevation changes instead of it being a direct route up and down.
>
> That’s not a bad idea… you mean the ramps up to the sniper spawn right? Having a sort of mid-platform would break them up nicely and allow me to spawn a weapon there as well and allow players to take cover on that mid platform instead of having to drop all the way down. I’ll keep that in mind for if I ever make any major changes to the map.

yea pretty much, what i learned from my map Obsidian is that people don’t like ramps being a direct route up and instead prefer a more gradual climb.

> > the drop down to the objectives is good but i feel that it ruins objective games, with all he objective games i’ve played on it that drop down was just to easy to abuse to take flags and score, i would drop down, grab the flag, run up the brace large and take the drop down to my teams objective.
>
> That is partly intended since a lot of attention in slayer games is on the top area, so since it is constantly watched by the sniper and people are used to traveling it then you risk getting cut off on your way to the drop down. Also keep in mind that while you are trying to get to your own drop down, the enemy team is also trying to use your own drop down to get into your base so you are bound to run into confrontation taking the top route and going through your own drop down. The drop down serves to force defenders to watch behind them as well as ahead of them making it harder to defend.
>
>
> I’m working on a new design of Affinity in my head so if I ever get the time to rebuild it then I will be using everything that everyone has been suggesting as a consideration. Thanks for everyone’s feedback.

thats not what i was experiencing but then again this could be down to unevenly matched teams which is also clouding my view.

omg!!! plz take out all forge maps from matchmaking. i bought the game so i can play the nice looking, detailed, non- boring, creative maps. these forge maps literaly make me play other games than halo…and i love halo…its the reason i bought a 360. mw2 and mvc is what i play now thx to all those boring, same looking, not creative maps. maybe its just me but i rather yall not be cheap and make some actual good maps…i dont see any other game do this. all maps that came with the game or that were dlc…were perfect…not all of em but it doesnt bother me to play, i like em all. when i started playing these forge maps i quickly saw my hours on halo deplete quickly. SO PLEASE CONSIDER TAKING FORGE MAPS OUT.

> omg!!! plz take out all forge maps from matchmaking. i bought the game so i can play the nice looking, detailed, non- boring, creative maps. these forge maps literaly make me play other games than halo…and i love halo…its the reason i bought a 360. mw2 and mvc is what i play now thx to all those boring, same looking, not creative maps. maybe its just me but i rather yall not be cheap and make some actual good maps…i dont see any other game do this. all maps that came with the game or that were dlc…were perfect…not all of em but it doesnt bother me to play, i like em all. when i started playing these forge maps i quickly saw my hours on halo deplete quickly. SO PLEASE CONSIDER TAKING FORGE MAPS OUT.

well that was a very informative and constructive feed back on how to improve on the map.

> omg!!! plz take out all forge maps from matchmaking. i bought the game so i can play the nice looking, detailed, non- boring, creative maps. these forge maps literaly make me play other games than halo…and i love halo…its the reason i bought a 360. mw2 and mvc is what i play now thx to all those boring, same looking, not creative maps. maybe its just me but i rather yall not be cheap and make some actual good maps…i dont see any other game do this. all maps that came with the game or that were dlc…were perfect…not all of em but it doesnt bother me to play, i like em all. when i started playing these forge maps i quickly saw my hours on halo deplete quickly. SO PLEASE CONSIDER TAKING FORGE MAPS OUT.

First of all Klewster, there are plenty of maps that are not forge-made in matchmaking. There are 13 right now, with another 6 coming out along with Halo Anniversary.

2nd, you are using some very insulting terms to describe maps that people put a lot of hard work into, without providing any actual constructive criticism.

“I’d rather y’all not be cheap and make some actual good maps”… who are you talking to here? The developers? They are making lots of new maps already, as I just said. We’ve recieved 5 new maps through DLC with 6 more on the way.

The people who actually made all the Forge maps you are complaining about are doing it for free. They are Halo fans like you and me who made their own maps. How is this being “cheap”?

Halo Reach has a larger number of new multiplayer maps in matchmaking than anyother console game because of Forge World, and the ability to add custom made maps into matchmaking.

it’s not my favorite community map but i kind of like it, actually. (although, last night, we played a super weird game on it. all the action was taking place in the main bottom hall in between the GL’s. odd.)

i will say, i’m not super crazy about the spawns under the ribs, especially not the one furthest in the corner. i’ve been trapped there a few times because for some reason i wasn’t spawning elsewhere and it wasn’t pretty. :frowning:

How about replacing the Rocket Launcher with a Fuel Rod Gun?

> How about replacing the Rocket Launcher with a Fuel Rod Gun?

to what purpose?

> > How about replacing the Rocket Launcher with a Fuel Rod Gun?
>
> to what purpose?

FRG needs to be in more maps TBH, no spare clips though but requires more skill then the rocket launcher.

As far as the forge made additions that were added to Reach - Affinity is by far my favorite of them. It is pretty perfect to me.

Only thing I think it can use is some more spawn points. And please keep the rockets - it makes this map fun and is a great start to the match fighting for them.

> > > How about replacing the Rocket Launcher with a Fuel Rod Gun?
> >
> > to what purpose?
>
> FRG needs to be in more maps TBH, no spare clips though but requires more skill then the rocket launcher.

i’m not saying it shouldn’t be more prevalent but i was wondering what reasons Puntificator had for wanting the FRG vs the RL.

personally i don’t think the FRG would be a good weapon for this map but that’s just me.

> > > > How about replacing the Rocket Launcher with a Fuel Rod Gun?
> > >
> > > to what purpose?
> >
> > FRG needs to be in more maps TBH, no spare clips though but requires more skill then the rocket launcher.
>
> i’m not saying it shouldn’t be more prevalent but i was wondering what reasons Puntificator had for wanting the FRG vs the RL.
>
> personally i don’t think the FRG would be a good weapon for this map but that’s just me.

FRG depends on the map but i prefer it over the rocket launcher because you have to hit the person dead on instead of at there feet like you do with the rocket launcher.

so maps like countdown though, a FRG would be extremely overpowering since its mostly close quarters and that is where the FRG is most deadly.

yes…i’m well aware of the mechanics and differences between the FRG and RL, i’m sure my service record indicates a preference for EOD weapons.

again, i was specifically asking Puntifacator for his reasonings. wasn’t looking for weapon differences.

> yes…i’m well aware of the mechanics and differences between the FRG and RL, i’m sure my service record indicates a preference for EOD weapons.
>
> again, i was specifically asking Puntifacator for his reasonings. wasn’t looking for weapon differences.

@ myself:
epicfacepalm

i feel a bit silly now.