[map]: down under

map: down under
V1
V2

canvas map: forgeworld
budget remaining: ~1600
performance: scoped framerate drop, fullscreen seems perfect.
splitscreen performance: untested but looking to be good.
power ups: yes, active camo and overshield used for asthetics only, can not be picked up.
vehicles: none
AA’s: none

this is a 1 way symmetrical map, i ted to do rotationally symmetrical so this is kind of an interesting venture for me, the map should be mostly suiteded to 4v4 - 5v5, i have 2 different version currently because i have yet to properly test which one is better, the difference between the 2 is rockets spawn, in v1 i used a different style for the area and the map transitioned to it but there was something about it that i didn’t quite like so in v2 i went and used the same style as where sniper spawns while trying to keep the same basic layout, i’m liking v2 more though.

the map is currently set up for slayer only, once i find which version is better, possibly do some more tweaking then i’ll add objectives to it.

video/screenshots:
run through on V2
V1 album
V2 album
note: the last 3 screenshots in the albums shows the difference between the 2

post copied from blueprint but i’m looking for feedback and opinions from a more wider audience

I’ve downloaded it. i’ll post you feedback when it’s done

have you managed to take a look at the map yet?

does anyone else have anything to say about the map?

> have you managed to take a look at the map yet?
>
> does anyone else have anything to say about the map?

I’m waiting for some people to play test it with.

> > have you managed to take a look at the map yet?
> >
> > does anyone else have anything to say about the map?
>
> I’m waiting for some people to play test it with.

ah ok, i’ll wait … patiently …

I’ll play test it with you if you want?

hi there

I just wanted to say the concept is nice. got a good halo 1 feel to it.
I suggest though it seems to lack a direction maybe due to lack of color or uniqueness from area to area… I dunno if theres much left you can do to distinguish one area from the other.

anyways good concept.

> hi there
>
> I just wanted to say the concept is nice. got a good halo 1 feel to it.
> I suggest though it seems to lack a direction maybe due to lack of color or uniqueness from area to area… I dunno if theres much left you can do to distinguish one area from the other.
>
> anyways good concept.

He could always change some of the objects to colour specific?

> hi there
>
> I just wanted to say the concept is nice. got a good halo 1 feel to it.
> I suggest though it seems to lack a direction maybe due to lack of color or uniqueness from area to area… I dunno if theres much left you can do to distinguish one area from the other.
>
> anyways good concept.

no offense but i’m fed up of hearing “needs more color” from you guys at forge cafe.

i can’t add more color to the map and there is a lot of colour on the map already, there are 2 lights and ramps, the ramps have some color on them that allows easier orientation, there is also struts on the map being used for jump ups and they provide ALOT color.

oh, not to mention the map design itself allows people to easily orientate themselves, 1 half of the map is different to the other half because it is 1 way symmetrical, orange/purplpe is different design then green, this allows people to orientate themselves on the map instantly without any real thought to it.

yes i could change objects out to add more color but the objects that would be used have quite a bit of glass on them, some even have lights, this will have a severe impact on the overall performance, it will also require me to use more objects and i already have used a lot, this is a bad thing, framerate problems have a negative impact on the experience on the map, the discoing can cause epileptic seizures …

> I’ll play test it with you if you want?

ah missed this post …

yea, a test would be great though if you’re going to test it play 2 games back to back, this is because the first game is where people learn to layout and what they can do while the secound game they can put then knowledge to good use.

Play tested it in a 4 v 4 although a bit disorionentating at 1st it’s solid, no rough edges all pretty smooth

> Play tested it in a 4 v 4 although a bit disorionentating at 1st it’s solid, no rough edges all pretty smooth

so players learned the layout pretty quickly?

that’s great news, i tried to keep the map simple but with multiple options available so it is easy to learn but can but utilized very effectively.

> > Play tested it in a 4 v 4 although a bit disorionentating at 1st it’s solid, no rough edges all pretty smooth
>
> so players learned the layout pretty quickly?
>
> that’s great news, i tried to keep the map simple but with multiple options available so it is easy to learn but can but utilized very effectively.

Yes it was even without jetpacks and we managed to get around pretty well

> > > Play tested it in a 4 v 4 although a bit disorionentating at 1st it’s solid, no rough edges all pretty smooth
> >
> > so players learned the layout pretty quickly?
> >
> > that’s great news, i tried to keep the map simple but with multiple options available so it is easy to learn but can but utilized very effectively.
>
> Yes it was even without jetpacks and we managed to get around pretty well

yea, everywhere you go with jetpack you can go on foot easily, though, i wonder if jetpack is to useless and i’m currently working on a opening it up abit, the layout and LoS and everything is the same but the roof opens up to create balconies and such.