Manual Host Selection for Customs

I’d love to see manual host selection available for custom games in Halo 4. This would be a big help to the competitive community to ensure high quality hosts for online scrims.

There’s no reason not to add this so I’m not really expecting any counter arguments. It’s just a question of if 343 is willing to add in as many features as possible to help the competitive community since were getting the shaft in so many other areas of Halo 4.

Thanks for your time.

No disagreement here, Hossstboota.

1. Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

2. Yes all day Yes I have seen a topic similar to this before its GREAT IDEA that shouldn’t be that different to add - I can’t see anyone not wanting this

Win Win everyone is happy .

It may help the competitive community but it would definitely hurt the customs-infection gametype community.

no thanks, you won’t know who will be providing the best connection to everyone while the game itself will have a better idea.

it will also just turn in to the leader always picking himself for host so every game he has a big advantage over everyone else, this will transelate over in to clan matches aswell.

> It may help the competitive community but it would definitely hurt the customs-infection gametype community.

How the hell will letting players force a host in custom games hurt infection? It makes no sense.

> no thanks, you won’t know who will be providing the best connection to everyone while the game itself will have a better idea.

LOL! Yea, because the game chosing the guy on dial-up over the guy on fibre optic totally means dial-up is the better connection.

> it will also just turn in to the leader always picking himself for host so every game he has a big advantage over everyone else, this will transelate over in to clan matches aswell.

If the leader is like that, just leave and start a new lobby. In competitive customs, the leader isn’t going to be like that.

And host hasn’t been a “big advantage” since Halo 2…

> no thanks, you won’t know who will be providing the best connection to everyone while the game itself will have a better idea.
>
> it will also just turn in to the leader always picking himself for host so every game he has a big advantage over everyone else, this will transelate over in to clan matches aswell.

Or we could all be grownups about it and select THE PERSON WITH THE BEST HOST FOR EVERYONE

Well that’s what I would do with it but then again in not 13 either

> > no thanks, you won’t know who will be providing the best connection to everyone while the game itself will have a better idea.
> >
> > it will also just turn in to the leader always picking himself for host so every game he has a big advantage over everyone else, this will transelate over in to clan matches aswell.
>
> Or we could all be grownups about it and select THE PERSON WITH THE BEST HOST FOR EVERYONE
>
> Well that’s what I would do with it but then again in not 13 either

and how exactly are you going to know each individual player upload speed, latency and packet loss ratio and test connection quality between the players?

> > > no thanks, you won’t know who will be providing the best connection to everyone while the game itself will have a better idea.
> > >
> > > it will also just turn in to the leader always picking himself for host so every game he has a big advantage over everyone else, this will transelate over in to clan matches aswell.
> >
> > Or we could all be grownups about it and select THE PERSON WITH THE BEST HOST FOR EVERYONE
> >
> > Well that’s what I would do with it but then again in not 13 either
>
> and how exactly are you going to know each individual player upload speed, latency and packet loss ratio and test connection quality between the players?

I guess everybody has thier laptop opened on a connection speed website :confused:

> > no thanks, you won’t know who will be providing the best connection to everyone while the game itself will have a better idea.
>
> LOL! Yea, because the game chosing the guy on dial-up over the guy on fibre optic totally means dial-up is the better connection.

individual quality connection does not mean it is the best overall connection for everyone in the game, someone with a lesser quality connection can be the best overall host because of his location, one good quality connection on the other side of the country is going to be worse then the person with lesser quality but more in the middle between the players.

> > it will also just turn in to the leader always picking himself for host so every game he has a big advantage over everyone else, this will transelate over in to clan matches aswell.
>
> If the leader is like that, just leave and start a new lobby. In competitive customs, the leader isn’t going to be like that.
>
> And host hasn’t been a “big advantage” since Halo 2…

i spent a lot of my time in custom games, i shouldn’t have to leave because some people think there connection is the best in the lobby causing horrible lag, i should be able to sit in the lobby and enjoy myself.

if this was to be implemented, custom games would practically die off because of people choosing horrible hosts all the time.

> and how exactly are you going to know each individual player upload speed, latency and packet loss ratio and test connection quality between the players?

Reach clearly doesn’t look at any of those. Why else would it pick solid redbar hosts in matchmaking with frequent blackscreen but no actual host change?

The problem with a system that has no quality assurance at either end is you can’t effectively tell what’s causing the issues. NAT transversal was another bad idea as people with bad NATs should get kicked/banned and/or fix them not get host and degrade everyone else’s experience.

Very good idea. Would love it for 1v1s. Both players will get to be host.

> > and how exactly are you going to know each individual player upload speed, latency and packet loss ratio and test connection quality between the players?
>
> Reach clearly doesn’t look at any of those. Why else would it pick solid redbar hosts in matchmaking with frequent blackscreen but no actual host change?

yes it does, it doesn’t randomly select a host, it chooses off of information, i would guess it cycles through hosts testing each connection then chooses the one with the best overall quality to everyone else.

> > > no thanks, you won’t know who will be providing the best connection to everyone while the game itself will have a better idea.
> > >
> > > it will also just turn in to the leader always picking himself for host so every game he has a big advantage over everyone else, this will transelate over in to clan matches aswell.
> >
> > Or we could all be grownups about it and select THE PERSON WITH THE BEST HOST FOR EVERYONE
> >
> > Well that’s what I would do with it but then again in not 13 either
>

Easily look to see if its laggy or red bar - maybe ask others in the game if it feels good - if not pass it around till you find a good host for everyone.

> > > > no thanks, you won’t know who will be providing the best connection to everyone while the game itself will have a better idea.
> > > >
> > > > it will also just turn in to the leader always picking himself for host so every game he has a big advantage over everyone else, this will transelate over in to clan matches aswell.
> > >
> > > Or we could all be grownups about it and select THE PERSON WITH THE BEST HOST FOR EVERYONE
> > >
> > > Well that’s what I would do with it but then again in not 13 either
> >
> > and how exactly are you going to know each individual player upload speed, latency and packet loss ratio and test connection quality between the players?
>
> Easily look to see if its laggy or red bar - maybe ask others in the game if it feels good - if not pass it around till you find a good host for everyone.

so, what it does already but manualy? lol …

> > > and how exactly are you going to know each individual player upload speed, latency and packet loss ratio and test connection quality between the players?
> >
> > Reach clearly doesn’t look at any of those. Why else would it pick solid redbar hosts in matchmaking with frequent blackscreen but no actual host change?
>
> yes it does, it doesn’t randomly select a host, it chooses off of information, i would guess it cycles through hosts testing each connection then chooses the one with the best overall quality to everyone else.

BTB games black screen and Red bar almost ever game

> > > > and how exactly are you going to know each individual player upload speed, latency and packet loss ratio and test connection quality between the players?
> > >
> > > Reach clearly doesn’t look at any of those. Why else would it pick solid redbar hosts in matchmaking with frequent blackscreen but no actual host change?
> >
> > yes it does, it doesn’t randomly select a host, it chooses off of information, i would guess it cycles through hosts testing each connection then chooses the one with the best overall quality to everyone else.
>
> BTB games black screen and Red bar almost ever game

yes, and you going around passing host to test peoples connections yourself is going to cause more black screens and anyoances then it doing it automatically.

really, this isn’t going to be helpfull, all halo 4 needs is a better host selection then reach, reach in its early days was good but it went downhill for some reason, not sure why.

> Reach in its early days was good but it went downhill for some reason, not sure why.

THANK YOU!!!

FINALLY! SOMEONE ELSE GETS IT!!!

> > > > > and how exactly are you going to know each individual player upload speed, latency and packet loss ratio and test connection quality between the players?
> > > >
> > > > Reach clearly doesn’t look at any of those. Why else would it pick solid redbar hosts in matchmaking with frequent blackscreen but no actual host change?
> > >
> > > yes it does, it doesn’t randomly select a host, it chooses off of information, i would guess it cycles through hosts testing each connection then chooses the one with the best overall quality to everyone else.
> >
> > BTB games black screen and Red bar almost ever game
>
> yes, and you going around passing host to test peoples connections yourself is going to cause more black screens and anyoances then it doing it automatically.
>
> really, this isn’t going to be helpfull, all halo 4 needs is a better host selection then reach, reach in its early days was good but it went downhill for some reason, not sure why.

As long as its better then Reach’s im ok but I still don’t see the problem with having this as an option for Custom Games .

> > > > > > and how exactly are you going to know each individual player upload speed, latency and packet loss ratio and test connection quality between the players?
> > > > >
> > > > > Reach clearly doesn’t look at any of those. Why else would it pick solid redbar hosts in matchmaking with frequent blackscreen but no actual host change?
> > > >
> > > > yes it does, it doesn’t randomly select a host, it chooses off of information, i would guess it cycles through hosts testing each connection then chooses the one with the best overall quality to everyone else.
> > >
> > > BTB games black screen and Red bar almost ever game
> >
> > yes, and you going around passing host to test peoples connections yourself is going to cause more black screens and anyoances then it doing it automatically.
> >
> > really, this isn’t going to be helpfull, all halo 4 needs is a better host selection then reach, reach in its early days was good but it went downhill for some reason, not sure why.
>
> As long as its better then Reach’s im ok but I still don’t see the problem with having this as an option for Custom Games .

idiots who choose bad hosts all the time or smart people passing host around to test connections to choose the best host putting you on black screen for a good 10 mins, either way it makes custom games un-playable.

also, in reach, custom game host selector is better then it is in matchmaking.