Mantis design - Cliche Mech design

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dQ0_gn25E6U#t=142s

In the link above video shows what looks to be the Halo 4 mantis.

Discuss.

Most designs you see in games and movies are indeed inspired by other peoples work. Just the way it works.

> Most designs you see in games and movies are indeed inspired by other peoples work. Just the way it works.

D: All mechs look the same.

They should have gone gundam style at least. >_>;

> > Most designs you see in games and movies are indeed inspired by other peoples work. Just the way it works.
>
> D: All mechs look the same.
>
> They should have gone gundam style at least. >_>;

eww no they’d look too out of place

> > Most designs you see in games and movies are indeed inspired by other peoples work. Just the way it works.
>
>

No. No they shouldn’t.

I think the Mantis design is great. It might be slightly cliche but it still has that feeling that it is an early mjolnir concept. Almost like an outdated yet still powerful suit.

I like the design, even though it is similar to Mechwarrior. They went through multiple concept designs when trying to create it, even the Mech from Halo Legends, but they settled on something more vehicle like.

Mantis has been shown quite a bit I’m liking the looks of it,
It’s unsc all thier gear has a familiarity to it, it would have been cooler to get a truly unique mech in forerunner tech , but it is what it is

> > > Most designs you see in games and movies are indeed inspired by other peoples work. Just the way it works.
> >
> > D: All mechs look the same.
> >
> > They should have gone gundam style at least. >_>;
>
> eww no they’d look too out of place

XD

And a giant crate with legs and a machine gun and rocket pod doesn’t look out of place to you?

It’s a mech, of course it’s gonna look close to mechs from other games. :stuck_out_tongue:

> It’s a mech, of course it’s gonna look close to mechs from other games. :stuck_out_tongue:

The Atlas from the Mass Effect series doesn’t look similar to the other mechs from other games.

Gundam Style? I like the show an all but I don’t think that would look right at all lol!

The design to me looks fine, it can indeed look on the cliche side of things, but you got to get to grips with the overall design and culture of what the mech belongs to. Normally in sci-fi except some games. Human spaceships or robots tend to be square/rectangle/straight edged in design. It just naturally has been that way for many years, Aliens always have like a curve, a living organism look to them.

I personally am not bothered by the design it looks fine :slight_smile: Reminds me of a Gekko from Metal Gear Solid 4…and they are awesome.

> The design to me looks fine, it can indeed look on the cliche side of things, but you got to get to grips with the overall design and culture of what the mech belongs to. Normally in sci-fi except some games. Human spaceships or robots tend to be square/rectangle/straight edged in design. It just naturally has been that way for many years, Aliens always have like a curve, a living organism look to them.
>
> I personally am not bothered by the design it looks fine :slight_smile: Reminds me of a Gekko from Metal Gear Solid 4…and they are awesome.

Doesn’t bother me, just wondering why does every game have to have the same look of mechs.

D;

> Gundam Style? I like the show an all but I don’t think that would look right at all lol!

Yeah but it would be fun to yell GUNDAAAAAAM while boarding the thing.

Halo is actually a ripoff of Robocop: http://lewisshepherd.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/robocop-vs-ed2091.jpg

> > > > Most designs you see in games and movies are indeed inspired by other peoples work. Just the way it works.
> > >
> > > D: All mechs look the same.
> > >
> > > They should have gone gundam style at least. >_>;
> >
> > eww no they’d look too out of place
>
> XD
>
> And a giant crate with legs and a machine gun and rocket pod doesn’t look out of place to you?

Aesthetically speaking, no

> > Gundam Style? I like the show an all but I don’t think that would look right at all lol!
>
> Yeah but it would be fun to yell GUNDAAAAAAM while boarding the thing.

Just do it anyway like me lol!

>
>

Cool but out of place. I just can’t see Positron cannons, light sabers, funnels, beam rifles and flight on a machine like that.

> > > Gundam Style? I like the show an all but I don’t think that would look right at all lol!
> >
> > Yeah but it would be fun to yell GUNDAAAAAAM while boarding the thing.
>
> Just do it anyway like me lol!

Just like you have to yell IMMA FIRIN MA LAZAR before you fire your spartan laser yeah?

> > > > > Most designs you see in games and movies are indeed inspired by other peoples work. Just the way it works.
> > > >
> > > > D: All mechs look the same.
> > > >
> > > > They should have gone gundam style at least. >_>;
> > >
> > > eww no they’d look too out of place
> >
> > XD
> >
> > And a giant crate with legs and a machine gun and rocket pod doesn’t look out of place to you?
>
> Aesthetically speaking, no

Fair enough.

> Halo is actually a ripoff of Robocop: http://lewisshepherd.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/robocop-vs-ed2091.jpg

ROFL

That Mech is Cougar from the Mechwarrior/Commander Series
http://wiki.mechlivinglegends.net/index.php?title=Cougar

It is one of the best games i ever played :smiley: