Man I miss Hang 'Em High

Dont you guys remember Hang 'Em High from Halo 1? Daaaaaaaaaamn that map was AWESOME! it had it all multiple levels, lots of distance but not to the point where you couldnt find the enemy, tunnels and cover, even the weapon layout was great - my friends and I spent many of hours beating the snot out of each other honeing our skills on that map, I wonder why no one ever tried to recreate it in the newer games - Thought?

Contrary to as some believe, Halo2’s physics were so different from CE’s that Tombstone had to be heavily modified for it to work more properly.

How does it play with Reach? Depends. With out AAs and therefore increased movement adjusted to compensate for the removal or Evade or Sprint, it plays pretty darn close.

With AAs, well Jetpacks make all the cover and placed up-ramps, as well as many of the catwalks obsolete. If Jetpack was removed from the Loadouts on the map and placed as a pickup, there could be some great variety to the gameplay. With AAs, jetpacks and corner/wall hugging are too easy with a DMR, relatively easy with a Pistol.

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=2853

But they did. There’s Tombstone for Halo 2, and then the Forge World remake High Noon in the Team Classic playlist. And yes, it is a very good map. It’s too bad that Bungie seems to have lost the ability to make really good multiplayer maps since Halo 2.

Hang 'em High is my favorite map of all time. As a matter of fact I’m going to be playing it all day tomorrow at my little LAN party.

I swear, months ago, I saw a photo of a Bungie artist, and in the back ground of that photo was a monitor with what looked like a Hang’em High Remake.

I am now on a quest to re-find this long lost picture.

> I swear, months ago, I saw a photo of a Bungie artist, and in the back ground of that photo was a monitor with what looked like a Hang’em High Remake.
>
> I am now on a quest to re-find this long lost picture.

And if anyone has a clue as to what I’m talking about, PLEASE post a link, I’m going nuts trying to find it.

> Dont you guys remember Hang 'Em High from Halo 1? Daaaaaaaaaamn that map was AWESOME! it had it all multiple levels, lots of distance but not to the point where you couldnt find the enemy, tunnels and cover, even the weapon layout was great - my friends and I spent many of hours beating the snot out of each other honeing our skills on that map, I wonder why no one ever tried to recreate it in the newer games - Thought?

this map has never really impressed me.

you have 2 bases

1 base is AMAZING, whilst the other base is mediocre as far as power in controlling them goes.

you have a bunch of high walkways, and medium walkways, but if you use them you get eaten by people with even a little bit of an idea of whats going on.

you have a tunnel system under the AMAZING base that is EASILY camped by a single shotgun at the top of the tunnel. the halo 2 remake ‘tombstone’ fixed this by putting a jump up box that would help people get up there, but it was really easily grenaded or meleed to the ground level so it couldnt be used.

spawn on the bottom of the map (which is frequent) and get destroyed by people on top

holding the top of the map is key, because of this, the base that has a GRIP of high ground (the big base) is about 100000x better than the little base. trying to take control of the high base is a nightmare in competitive games because of how SIMPLE it is to hold down. theres 1 tunnel walkway (grenade > intruders), theres the long ramp up the middle that is extremely exposed from almost everywhere (high ground > intruders), the ‘elbow’ corner that is basically a death trap for anyone trying to walk there (and if they do manage to get past the elbow, one grenade owns them coming up the ramp that leads out of there).

so basically what you do is, you get a long distance weapon, and you poke your head out and kill people trying to move lol.

> > Dont you guys remember Hang 'Em High from Halo 1? Daaaaaaaaaamn that map was AWESOME! it had it all multiple levels, lots of distance but not to the point where you couldnt find the enemy, tunnels and cover, even the weapon layout was great - my friends and I spent many of hours beating the snot out of each other honeing our skills on that map, I wonder why no one ever tried to recreate it in the newer games - Thought?
>
> this map has never really impressed me.
>
> you have 2 bases
>
> 1 base is AMAZING, whilst the other base is mediocre as far as power in controlling them goes.
>
> you have a bunch of high walkways, and medium walkways, but if you use them you get eaten by people with even a little bit of an idea of whats going on.
>
> you have a tunnel system under the AMAZING base that is EASILY camped by a single shotgun at the top of the tunnel. the halo 2 remake ‘tombstone’ fixed this by putting a jump up box that would help people get up there, but it was really easily grenaded or meleed to the ground level so it couldnt be used.
>
> spawn on the bottom of the map (which is frequent) and get destroyed by people on top
>
> holding the top of the map is key, because of this, the base that has a GRIP of high ground (the big base) is about 100000x better than the little base. trying to take control of the high base is a nightmare in competitive games because of how SIMPLE it is to hold down. theres 1 tunnel walkway (grenade > intruders), theres the long ramp up the middle that is extremely exposed from almost everywhere (high ground > intruders), the ‘elbow’ corner that is basically a death trap for anyone trying to walk there (and if they do manage to get past the elbow, one grenade owns them coming up the ramp that leads out of there).
>
> so basically what you do is, you get a long distance weapon, and you poke your head out and kill people trying to move lol.

So true!
I’ve never really been a huge fan of CE’s maps, except for BG. I could play that for hours, in fact it’s the only map I like out of CE’s selection. That’s why you’ll find me playing Halo Trial on the PC rather than my full copy. BG is where it’s at.

I believe Halo 2 holds the title of most amazing multiplayer maps. After Halo 2, I don’t think any of the games have had great maps. Halo 3 had a few good ones, but non of them incredibly amazing like Halo 2. Reach, well, I’m sure you know the deal by now.

> > > Dont you guys remember Hang 'Em High from Halo 1? Daaaaaaaaaamn that map was AWESOME! it had it all multiple levels, lots of distance but not to the point where you couldnt find the enemy, tunnels and cover, even the weapon layout was great - my friends and I spent many of hours beating the snot out of each other honeing our skills on that map, I wonder why no one ever tried to recreate it in the newer games - Thought?
> >
> > this map has never really impressed me.
> >
> > you have 2 bases
> >
> > 1 base is AMAZING, whilst the other base is mediocre as far as power in controlling them goes.
> >
> > you have a bunch of high walkways, and medium walkways, but if you use them you get eaten by people with even a little bit of an idea of whats going on.
> >
> > you have a tunnel system under the AMAZING base that is EASILY camped by a single shotgun at the top of the tunnel. the halo 2 remake ‘tombstone’ fixed this by putting a jump up box that would help people get up there, but it was really easily grenaded or meleed to the ground level so it couldnt be used.
> >
> > spawn on the bottom of the map (which is frequent) and get destroyed by people on top
> >
> > holding the top of the map is key, because of this, the base that has a GRIP of high ground (the big base) is about 100000x better than the little base. trying to take control of the high base is a nightmare in competitive games because of how SIMPLE it is to hold down. theres 1 tunnel walkway (grenade > intruders), theres the long ramp up the middle that is extremely exposed from almost everywhere (high ground > intruders), the ‘elbow’ corner that is basically a death trap for anyone trying to walk there (and if they do manage to get past the elbow, one grenade owns them coming up the ramp that leads out of there).
> >
> > so basically what you do is, you get a long distance weapon, and you poke your head out and kill people trying to move lol.
>
> So true!
> I’ve never really been a huge fan of CE’s maps, except for BG. I could play that for hours, in fact it’s the only map I like out of CE’s selection. That’s why you’ll find me playing Halo Trial on the PC rather than my full copy. BG is where it’s at.
>
> I believe Halo 2 holds the title of most amazing multiplayer maps. After Halo 2, I don’t think any of the games have had great maps. Halo 3 had a few good ones, but non of them incredibly amazing like Halo 2. Reach, well, I’m sure you know the deal by now.

I see wat your saying about the big base but i guess i never really played it as a team level wat with the difficulty to have more then 4 players back in the day - try playing it was more of a rumble pit style makes for a much better map when everyone chaotically beating the pulp out of eachother

> I believe Halo 2 holds the title of most amazing multiplayer maps. After Halo 2, I don’t think any of the games have had great maps. Halo 3 had a few good ones, but non of them incredibly amazing like Halo 2. Reach, well, I’m sure you know the deal by now.

While I disagree about not liking Halo 1’s MP maps (I love Damnation), I do agree that Halo 2 has the best maps out of all the games (I honestly can’t think of a single one that I hate, while I can name ones I hate from all the other games). Halo 3 does have a few good ones, but most of them aren’t that great. And Reach’s maps are mostly lame. (Except for the Defiant maps, and some of the Forge World community made maps)

> > > > Dont you guys remember Hang 'Em High from Halo 1? Daaaaaaaaaamn that map was AWESOME! it had it all multiple levels, lots of distance but not to the point where you couldnt find the enemy, tunnels and cover, even the weapon layout was great - my friends and I spent many of hours beating the snot out of each other honeing our skills on that map, I wonder why no one ever tried to recreate it in the newer games - Thought?
> > >
> > > this map has never really impressed me.
> > >
> > > you have 2 bases
> > >
> > > 1 base is AMAZING, whilst the other base is mediocre as far as power in controlling them goes.
> > >
> > > you have a bunch of high walkways, and medium walkways, but if you use them you get eaten by people with even a little bit of an idea of whats going on.
> > >
> > > you have a tunnel system under the AMAZING base that is EASILY camped by a single shotgun at the top of the tunnel. the halo 2 remake ‘tombstone’ fixed this by putting a jump up box that would help people get up there, but it was really easily grenaded or meleed to the ground level so it couldnt be used.
> > >
> > > spawn on the bottom of the map (which is frequent) and get destroyed by people on top
> > >
> > > holding the top of the map is key, because of this, the base that has a GRIP of high ground (the big base) is about 100000x better than the little base. trying to take control of the high base is a nightmare in competitive games because of how SIMPLE it is to hold down. theres 1 tunnel walkway (grenade > intruders), theres the long ramp up the middle that is extremely exposed from almost everywhere (high ground > intruders), the ‘elbow’ corner that is basically a death trap for anyone trying to walk there (and if they do manage to get past the elbow, one grenade owns them coming up the ramp that leads out of there).
> > >
> > > so basically what you do is, you get a long distance weapon, and you poke your head out and kill people trying to move lol.
> >
> > So true!
> > I’ve never really been a huge fan of CE’s maps, except for BG. I could play that for hours, in fact it’s the only map I like out of CE’s selection. That’s why you’ll find me playing Halo Trial on the PC rather than my full copy. BG is where it’s at.
> >
> > I believe Halo 2 holds the title of most amazing multiplayer maps. After Halo 2, I don’t think any of the games have had great maps. Halo 3 had a few good ones, but non of them incredibly amazing like Halo 2. Reach, well, I’m sure you know the deal by now.
>
> I see wat your saying about the big base but i guess i never really played it as a team level wat with the difficulty to have more then 4 players back in the day - try playing it was more of a rumble pit style makes for a much better map when everyone chaotically beating the pulp out of eachother

yea, for team games its a nightmare if you are playing against good people. for rumble pit and stuff like that its fun tho. honestly a jet pack pickup would fix a LOT of problems with this map (just make sure its in the bottom of the map, or at the small base).

> yea, for team games its a nightmare if you are playing against good people. for rumble pit and stuff like that its fun tho. honestly a jet pack pickup would fix a LOT of problems with this map (just make sure its in the bottom of the map, or at the small base).

Jet Pack on Hang’em High?

I think you’re kinda missing the point. You obviously didn’t play much Hang’em High in CE did you?

> > yea, for team games its a nightmare if you are playing against good people. for rumble pit and stuff like that its fun tho. honestly a jet pack pickup would fix a LOT of problems with this map (just make sure its in the bottom of the map, or at the small base).
>
> Jet Pack on Hang’em High?
>
> I think you’re kinda missing the point. You obviously didn’t play much Hang’em High in CE did you?

yea, clearly my suggestion to add jet pack, something that would actually make the map more fun to play (as a PICK UP) is directly tied to my experience in playing hang em high on halo CE.

i think YOU missed the point. the map is NOT good at all for competitive games. its not even remotely good either. its just one big camp fest. where if you move from your base, you die to competent players. at least with a jet pack pickup you could actually make a viable attempt at taking the more powerful base.

sorry, but if both teams are highly skilled, the game becomes:

spawn at big base -> win game.

so long as the team that spawns there actually knows what they are doing and how to control the three EPIC bad hell-choke points between the FOUR of them. heck, ALL THREE of them can be watched from a SINGLE SPOT on the map (the corner) that not a single player has vision to ANYWHERE on the map, unless they are already in that base.

come to think of it, if you have your entire team stand in that spot, you probably insta-win. just make sure you watch for grenades thrown up since you are being predictable.

oh, i guess if you have teammates who actually know whats up, you could sneak into the bottom of the base, then walk out to the long walkway that leads to rockets from the big base, then double jump a single person up there to try to break the setup. outside of that, however, good luck beating a competent team.

> Dont you guys remember Hang 'Em High from Halo 1? Daaaaaaaaaamn that map was AWESOME! it had it all multiple levels, lots of distance but not to the point where you couldnt find the enemy, tunnels and cover, even the weapon layout was great - my friends and I spent many of hours beating the snot out of each other honeing our skills on that map, I wonder why no one ever tried to recreate it in the newer games - Thought?

Certainly was one of my favourites too! :slight_smile:

> > > yea, for team games its a nightmare if you are playing against good people. for rumble pit and stuff like that its fun tho. honestly a jet pack pickup would fix a LOT of problems with this map (just make sure its in the bottom of the map, or at the small base).
> >
> > Jet Pack on Hang’em High?
> >
> > I think you’re kinda missing the point. You obviously didn’t play much Hang’em High in CE did you?
>
> yea, clearly my suggestion to add jet pack, something that would actually make the map more fun to play (as a PICK UP) is directly tied to my experience in playing hang em high on halo CE.
>
> i think YOU missed the point. the map is NOT good at all for competitive games. its not even remotely good either. its just one big camp fest. where if you move from your base, you die to competent players. at least with a jet pack pickup you could actually make a viable attempt at taking the more powerful base.
>
> sorry, but if both teams are highly skilled, the game becomes:
>
> spawn at big base -> win game.
>
> so long as the team that spawns there actually knows what they are doing and how to control the three EPIC bad hell-choke points between the FOUR of them. heck, ALL THREE of them can be watched from a SINGLE SPOT on the map (the corner) that not a single player has vision to ANYWHERE on the map, unless they are already in that base.
>
> come to think of it, if you have your entire team stand in that spot, you probably insta-win. just make sure you watch for grenades thrown up since you are being predictable.
>
> oh, i guess if you have teammates who actually know whats up, you could sneak into the bottom of the base, then walk out to the long walkway that leads to rockets from the big base, then double jump a single person up there to try to break the setup. outside of that, however, good luck beating a competent team.

no no, YOU sir, are missing the point.

Hang’em High in Reach is a Throwback.

No one cares about your competitiveness there. It’s a classic map, on the classic playlist designed to give the classic feel, not a competitive feel.

> > > > yea, for team games its a nightmare if you are playing against good people. for rumble pit and stuff like that its fun tho. honestly a jet pack pickup would fix a LOT of problems with this map (just make sure its in the bottom of the map, or at the small base).
> > >
> > > Jet Pack on Hang’em High?
> > >
> > > I think you’re kinda missing the point. You obviously didn’t play much Hang’em High in CE did you?
> >
> > yea, clearly my suggestion to add jet pack, something that would actually make the map more fun to play (as a PICK UP) is directly tied to my experience in playing hang em high on halo CE.
> >
> > i think YOU missed the point. the map is NOT good at all for competitive games. its not even remotely good either. its just one big camp fest. where if you move from your base, you die to competent players. at least with a jet pack pickup you could actually make a viable attempt at taking the more powerful base.
> >
> > sorry, but if both teams are highly skilled, the game becomes:
> >
> > spawn at big base -> win game.
> >
> > so long as the team that spawns there actually knows what they are doing and how to control the three EPIC bad hell-choke points between the FOUR of them. heck, ALL THREE of them can be watched from a SINGLE SPOT on the map (the corner) that not a single player has vision to ANYWHERE on the map, unless they are already in that base.
> >
> > come to think of it, if you have your entire team stand in that spot, you probably insta-win. just make sure you watch for grenades thrown up since you are being predictable.
> >
> > oh, i guess if you have teammates who actually know whats up, you could sneak into the bottom of the base, then walk out to the long walkway that leads to rockets from the big base, then double jump a single person up there to try to break the setup. outside of that, however, good luck beating a competent team.
>
> no no, YOU sir, are missing the point.
>
> Hang’em High in Reach is a Throwback.
>
> No one cares about your competitiveness there. It’s a classic map, on the classic playlist designed to give the classic feel, not a competitive feel.

most people who are old enough to have played hang em high have progressed enough in skill level, and overall halo knowledge to tell you that the map is awful the way it is. heck, you dont even have to be good to completely lock down the map if you have the good base. 1 mini nuke is all you need to kill someone trying to enter the big base from any of the 3 hell-choke points. its not even remotely hard to throw a mini nuke off the wall and have it decimate intruders. surely most halo players who have been playing since CE are capable of throwing a mini nuke to decimate anyone trying to attack LOL.

jet pack would alleviate this 3 hell-choke point problem quite a bit. that, or a few minor tweaks to the big base.

i’d rather have throwback maps that cater to the long time halo fans who actually know whats going on, with a few minor tweaks to free up problematic areas.

another good example of a bad map is derelict (i think this is the name). the map in the classic playlist with 2 teleporters to lead to the top, and thats it. this is yet another terrible map that is basically nothing short of laughable from a competitive standpoint.

> > > > > yea, for team games its a nightmare if you are playing against good people. for rumble pit and stuff like that its fun tho. honestly a jet pack pickup would fix a LOT of problems with this map (just make sure its in the bottom of the map, or at the small base).
> > > >
> > > > Jet Pack on Hang’em High?
> > > >
> > > > I think you’re kinda missing the point. You obviously didn’t play much Hang’em High in CE did you?
> > >
> > > yea, clearly my suggestion to add jet pack, something that would actually make the map more fun to play (as a PICK UP) is directly tied to my experience in playing hang em high on halo CE.
> > >
> > > i think YOU missed the point. the map is NOT good at all for competitive games. its not even remotely good either. its just one big camp fest. where if you move from your base, you die to competent players. at least with a jet pack pickup you could actually make a viable attempt at taking the more powerful base.
> > >
> > > sorry, but if both teams are highly skilled, the game becomes:
> > >
> > > spawn at big base -> win game.
> > >
> > > so long as the team that spawns there actually knows what they are doing and how to control the three EPIC bad hell-choke points between the FOUR of them. heck, ALL THREE of them can be watched from a SINGLE SPOT on the map (the corner) that not a single player has vision to ANYWHERE on the map, unless they are already in that base.
> > >
> > > come to think of it, if you have your entire team stand in that spot, you probably insta-win. just make sure you watch for grenades thrown up since you are being predictable.
> > >
> > > oh, i guess if you have teammates who actually know whats up, you could sneak into the bottom of the base, then walk out to the long walkway that leads to rockets from the big base, then double jump a single person up there to try to break the setup. outside of that, however, good luck beating a competent team.
> >
> > no no, YOU sir, are missing the point.
> >
> > Hang’em High in Reach is a Throwback.
> >
> > No one cares about your competitiveness there. It’s a classic map, on the classic playlist designed to give the classic feel, not a competitive feel.
>
> most people who are old enough to have played hang em high have progressed enough in skill level, and overall halo knowledge to tell you that the map is awful the way it is. heck, you dont even have to be good to completely lock down the map if you have the good base. 1 mini nuke is all you need to kill someone trying to enter the big base from any of the 3 hell-choke points. its not even remotely hard to throw a mini nuke off the wall and have it decimate intruders. surely most halo players who have been playing since CE are capable of throwing a mini nuke to decimate anyone trying to attack LOL.
>
> jet pack would alleviate this 3 hell-choke point problem quite a bit. that, or a few minor tweaks to the big base.
>
> i’d rather have throwback maps that cater to the long time halo fans who actually know whats going on, with a few minor tweaks to free up problematic areas.
>
> another good example of a bad map is derelict (i think this is the name). the map in the classic playlist with 2 teleporters to lead to the top, and thats it. this is yet another terrible map that is basically nothing short of laughable from a competitive standpoint.

Jet packs aren’t classic. Hell, they’re less classic than Rifles. Neither belong on Hang’em High, you’re missing the point.

And HOW DARE YOU Bad mouth Derelict?!?!?!

Here’s what you do, Load up Derelict Crazy King with the Playlist Classic Slayer settings (speed, damage, ect ect…)

Then change the starting weapons to Pistol and Sniper Rifle with one human nade, and make the map weapon set all Human Snipers.

Grab 7 of your friends (assuming you have that many friends…), and divide into two teams of 4.

Set your hill win time to 500 seconds, and have fun.

THIS is what Derelict was designed for.

You can thank me later.