Making Race even better

I don’t know about you guys but I am of the opinion that Race is deserving of its own playlist for Halo4. Probably alongside Grifball and Infection in some sort of Action sack/ week long/ weekend playlist. Resultantly I have been considering of a few ideas and improvements that could bring back Race in a big way.

1. Improve vehicle physics

As a forger I have done my fair share of experimentation with Reaches vehicle physics and it should come to no surprise to a lot of you that there are some flaws. Not just glitches neither, there are fundamental flaws that bug someone like me. Specifically Reaches traction physics as well as the lack of any real momentum physics that calculate effects such as the centripetal force as an example. Why does that bug me? Because I can’t make a loop d loop! Not that I would want to make one for every race map I make but I am using it as a case point. Real world physics say that it is possible but as most forgers will know you can’t make an incline/ ramp/ bank turn steeper than about 45 degrees or else you will hit it as if it were a brick wall regardless of how smooth the transition is. Imagine the race track possibilities if they fixed this. The closest thing we can make to a loop in Reach is something like this :confused:

Jump consistency is also a big issue that needs to be resolved. Anyone who has raced in Reach will know some times despicably for no reason when you go over a jump the vehicle rears up and can mess you up for the landing. It goes without say this needs to be fixed for competitive reasons.

1. Drafting/ Slip streaming

Technically still physics but really it would kind of be a new added feature. It would increase the overtaking possibilities, add more tactics to the race such as positioning, slipstream duelling and would be more realistic.

1. This is idea I had that is just for mongooses. An ability to Move body weight in order have some minimal control over the Mongooses mid air rotation and balance.

2. Time trial gametype.

In addition to gametypes such as standard Race, Battle tracks, Rocket race, Rally and maybe even destruction derby I would like a time trials gametype. It would still involve playing against other players in the game at the same time but instead of allowing players to interact you will be racing their ‘ghosts’ indicated by icons and position announcements. This way it is a competition of pure racing talent with no tactics other than go as fast as you can.

Here are some of my less preposterous ideas I came up with but I would be interested to hear other people’s ideas.

Secret option : Add nitro button to vehicles

Time trials belong more in a game of cars than in a game of futuristic humans warring against a highly technological and finally-not-naked-aliens game.

Yes, they need to fix physics so that ramps work, and the Warthog needs to function more like a jeep and less like a car with balloons on crack.

> Secret option : Add nitro button to vehicles

Please, no.

> > Secret option : Add nitro button to vehicles
>
> Please, no.

Why not? All the covenant vehicles have it.

ever notice that the mongoose and warthogs tires constantly screech when driving over a metal object?

> ever notice that the mongoose and warthogs tires constantly screech when driving over a metal object?

Yes. Tis Annoying. It is also why I always recommend if someone is trying to make a BTB map with vehicles to use natural terrain predominantly. That and the covenant light speed glitch.

> Time trials belong more in a game of cars than in a game of futuristic humans warring against a highly technological and finally-not-naked-aliens game.
>
> Yes, they need to fix physics so that ramps work, and the Warthog needs to function more like a jeep and less like a car with balloons on crack.

I have heard from people who have played Halo4 that the warthog feels heavier and doesn’t bounce as much but in terms of the War games Infinity cannon side Race could be finesse vehicle control training.

Yes race needs its own playlist.
Human vehicles need a boost feature like Covenant ones.
Allow people riding on the back or in passengers to pick up weapons when they are driven over, like flags in speedpile.
Allow custom powerups to affect vehicles.
Make racing variants of the UNSC vehicles, like the CE Rocket Hog with the yellow stripes.
Slipstream/drafting would help a lot, since all vehicles have the same top speed, this would keep the race very interesting.

I am all for this thread.

> Yes race needs its own playlist.
> Human vehicles need a boost feature like Covenant ones.
> Allow people riding on the back or in passengers to pick up weapons when they are driven over, like flags in speedpile.
> Allow custom powerups to affect vehicles.
> Make racing variants of the UNSC vehicles, like the CE Rocket Hog with the yellow stripes.
> Slipstream/drafting would help a lot, since all vehicles have the same top speed, this would keep the race very interesting.
>
> I am all for this thread.

Halo Karts anyone? :slight_smile:

> > Yes race needs its own playlist.
> > Human vehicles need a boost feature like Covenant ones.
> > Allow people riding on the back or in passengers to pick up weapons when they are driven over, like flags in speedpile.
> > Allow custom powerups to affect vehicles.
> > Make racing variants of the UNSC vehicles, like the CE Rocket Hog with the yellow stripes.
> > Slipstream/drafting would help a lot, since all vehicles have the same top speed, this would keep the race very interesting.
> >
> > I am all for this thread.
>
> Halo Karts anyone? :slight_smile:

I was thinking more of this. Favorite game of my Sony childhood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rnsPHXoIac

Yes, please.

i already made a forum about this… no one seemed to keen on the idea of it though…

here it is though if you want to cast votes and talk about it:

https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst88878_343i--A-Race-Playlist-Is-In-Demand.aspx

Allowing gravity options to also effect vehicles could be interesting.

> i already made a forum about this… no one seemed to keen on the idea of it though…
>
> here it is though if you want to cast votes and talk about it:
>
> https://forums.halo.xbox.com/yaf_postst88878_343i--A-Race-Playlist-Is-In-Demand.aspx

There is actually a massive following of Halo Race fanatics out there. Ever since forge it exploded. It would make sense for 343 to gift them a playlist to show off their skills. My vote however would be for some sort of weakly playlist thing. Where each week showcases its own Indy playlist. Week of the living dead, Grifball, Race, Conquest- Showcasing community maps. I prefer this because it would probably increase population turn out and keep the playlists interesting and dynamic.

Yes, also bring back the rainbow road map.