Make the Fuel Rod Cannon and Sword Usable

Halo 1 enemies had the fearsome Fuel Rod Cannon and the zealous Energy Sword. Bring those weapons to us! I’ve already seen the sword in the trailer, and we need to be able to use it. Don’t make them fuse when the enemy that carries them dies!

By adding these weapons to the campaign, we are presented with several more options for combat. Halo 1 was restricted to just 3 (THREE!) usable covenant weapons; 5 is sufficient. The actual items, their textures, animations, etc. already exist in game - only the burden less tasks of updating their looks and graphics and giving the HUD the necessary additions remain!

Edit: I also forgot about the Wraith - it also exists in game, and only the above changes need to be made.

Great idea! :smiley:

> Halo 1 enemies had the fearsome Fuel Rod Cannon and the zealous Energy Sword. Bring those weapons to us! I’ve already seen the sword in the trailer, and we need to be able to use it. Don’t make them fuse when the enemy that carries them dies!
>
> By adding these weapons to the campaign, we are presented with several more options for combat. Halo 1 was restricted to just 3 (THREE!) usable covenant weapons; 5 is sufficient. The actual items, their textures, animations, etc. already exist in game - only the burden less tasks of updating their looks and graphics and giving the HUD the necessary additions remain!
>
> Edit: I also forgot about the Wraith - it also exists in game, and only the above changes need to be made.

I don’t think the gameplay is gonna change. The only additions that will be made will be achievements,a new graphics layer and Terminals giving hints about the Halo 4 campaign. Besides,in Combat Evolved the Fuel Rod and Energy Swords had failsafes to self destruct should they be seperated from it’s owners. Wouldn’t have that classical feeling if we were suddenly able to use swords.

I can’t really explain why, but I wouldn’t want that. FRG and sword should stay fearsome Covenant-only weapons that make you go “OH YOINKADOODLE!”

> Halo 1 enemies had the fearsome Fuel Rod Cannon and the zealous Energy Sword. Bring those weapons to us! I’ve already seen the sword in the trailer, and we need to be able to use it. Don’t make them fuse when the enemy that carries them dies!
>
> By adding these weapons to the campaign, we are presented with several more options for combat. Halo 1 was restricted to just 3 (THREE!) usable covenant weapons; 5 is sufficient. The actual items, their textures, animations, etc. already exist in game - only the burden less tasks of updating their looks and graphics and giving the HUD the necessary additions remain!
>
> Edit: I also forgot about the Wraith - it also exists in game, and only the above changes need to be made.

They can’t they’re using the same gameplay data from CE the only things that were changed were the graphics engine plus a few easter eggs they threw in themselves (maybe).

> The actual items, their textures, animations, etc. already exist in game - only the burden less tasks of updating their looks and graphics and giving the HUD the necessary additions remain!
>
> Edit: I also forgot about the Wraith - it also exists in game, and only the above changes need to be made.

Not so fast. They would also have to adjusted.

The sword has no collision (of course, using a program like HHT, that can be rectified). But they would have to give a battery.

The Wraith’s mortar is difficult to use (on the other hand, this is the first time that using the Wraith can be skillful). Also, the Wraith would either have to be indestructible like the Scorpion or it’s collision type must be changed (it shares the same type of metal as Ghost and Banshee I believe. If not, then the damage modifier of all weapons in regards to the Wraith need to be modified, as it is too easy to destroy a Wraith).

The fuel rod gun has infinite ammo and it’s neither a clip or battery weapon. Also, it’s reticle would have to be adjusted (even if they gave it a reticle, it wouldn’t fire where you were aiming, but to the side).

> I don’t think the gameplay is gonna change. The only additions that will be made will be achievements,a new graphics layer and Terminals giving hints about the Halo 4 campaign. Besides,in Combat Evolved the Fuel Rod and Energy Swords had failsafes to self destruct should they be seperated from it’s owners. Wouldn’t have that classical feeling if we were suddenly able to use swords.

And yes, this.

Here’s what I propose (a reasonable compromise):

Make the Wraith usable and leave the handheld weapons alone.

Because the Wraith is already ready for operation. It just needs to have a driver seat that Chief is compatible with.

But be warned, the Wraith mortar is weak, even against Jackals (takes 2 hits on higher difficulties, maybe more). It does moderate damage on Elites if I remember correctly. It’s better as a splatter vehicle. But it’s also an accidental marine killer.

So there you have it. More reasons why making the Wraith usable wouldn’t drastically affect the classic feel (hell, it can be flipped on AotCR and there are no Wraiths on other levels (unless you count Two Betrayals, although it would be difficult to flip a Wraith with the Banshee)).

Cant they have the classic campaign and then an edited one where you can do stuff from the other games like…trade weapons and use other weapons.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they added small things such as swapping weapons with marines, better controls for vehicles, boost for the Ghost and Banshee, and possibly boarding vehicles. But I doubt they’ll add the Sword and Fuel Rod.

And one thing, did everyone forget that the Fuel Rod gun was usable in multiplayer?

> I wouldn’t be surprised if they added small things such as swapping weapons with marines, better controls for vehicles, boost for the Ghost and Banshee, and possibly boarding vehicles. But I doubt they’ll add the Sword and Fuel Rod.
>
> And one thing, did everyone forget that the Fuel Rod gun was usable in multiplayer?

It should be noted that in the PC version, in the keyboard controls options, there is a key for Exchange (this is not reload (R), this is not swap weapons (Tab key), this is not melee (F), this is not press (E) to enter vehicle, pick up weapon, etc.), but it doesn’t do anything as far as I know.

And yes, they should add better controls, specifically making the Scorpion tank more easy to use. The Halo 2 and Halo 3 scorpions were more easier to maneuver.

Boost is unnecessary since the Ghost and Banshee are already fast. There’s a reason why the Ghost and Banshee are slower in the later games. It would be better to just increase their acceleration speed (how long it takes for them to reach max speed) or max speed.

I’m not too sure about boarding vehicles, as it would change the classic (maybe it should only be for light vehicles: Warthog and Ghost), but being able to stand on nonstationary vehicles is an absolute must.

How would boarding change the classic? Banshees. Being able to fly around on Halo would be illogical (of course, they could just leave those untouched). Being able to get in a Banshee via boarding on The Maw would be redundant because there’s a glitch that lets you get in one of the Banshees.

I rarely picked up the fuel rod gun when there were Banshees on the level. On Blood Gulch, the Banshees were an infestation and overshadowed the fuel rod gun.

> On Blood Gulch, the Banshees were an infestation and overshadowed the fuel rod gun.

Not only on Blood Gulch. People hardly bothered shooting anymore when flying the Banshee and just came at you like an airborne battering ram trying to splatter you. That’s when I fell in love with the shotgun. >:D

> > On Blood Gulch, the Banshees were an infestation and overshadowed the fuel rod gun.
>
> Not only on Blood Gulch. People hardly bothered shooting anymore when flying the Banshee and just came at you like an airborne battering ram trying to splatter you. That’s when I fell in love with the shotgun. >:D

How many times did you die before you got to it? Or did you pick it up at the start of the game? I always found myself on servers with plasma pistol starts. It was abominable. Fortunately, I managed to find a decent hiding spot (not the ones near the caves).

I don’t know about you guys, but the sword would be helpfull for flood missions, but the fuel rod I could care less for.
And when I pilot the banshee, I all ways uses the fuel rod cannon, and it’s weapons for vehicles, and -Yoink!- people off, the ramming people thing was useless, I don’t know why people do it, cause people can jump on, or you could get shot out by a shotgun, or some one with a rocket launcher point plank.

Coding for the wraith, FRG, and sword are simple because they already exist in game. And balance really isn’t an issue because it’s only in the campaign.

Well the Fuel Rod is definitely possible because it was in Halo PC, but I’m not so sure about the Sword, I see all these Sword mods in Custom Edition and they all suck. If they put the Sword in, they should leave the lunge out.

> I don’t know about you guys, but the sword would be helpfull for flood missions, but the fuel rod I could care less for.
> And when I pilot the banshee, I all ways uses the fuel rod cannon, and it’s weapons for vehicles, and -Yoink!- people off, the ramming people thing was useless, I don’t know why people do it, cause people can jump on, or you could get shot out by a shotgun, or some one with a rocket launcher point plank.

Good point. Standard melees are useless against Flood, shotgun is too godly. That’s where the sword comes in. Makes it more fun to fight the Flood.

The ramming was devastating if the pilot was fast enough (it’s difficult to stand on it because of splatter collision sensitivity) and because the pilot could go all day with it (the guy dodging it would eventually get killed unless he’s got good grenade throwing skills or the Shotty).

> Coding for the wraith, FRG, and sword are simple because they already exist in game. And balance really isn’t an issue because it’s only in the campaign.

Adding the fuel rod gun would make Chief 10x more godly, even on Legendary. But I agree about the Wraith. And as I mentioned earlier, the sword has no collision when wielded by Master Chief. But it would be easy to give it collision.

> Well the Fuel Rod is definitely possible because it was in Halo PC, but I’m not so sure about the Sword, I see all these Sword mods in Custom Edition and they all suck. If they put the Sword in, they should leave the lunge out.

Lunge would have to be built from scratch because only Elites could lunge with it. I don’t know if anyone has really found the mechanism behind it. I know that it has been replicated.

It has been stated on more than one occassion that the original CE Engine is still being used, just with a second Graphics Engine over it. Nothing about gameplay is being changed. Why can people not understand this?

They said that there will be options to make the experience new if you want it that way, I would assume the ability to use these weapons would be one of those options.

OT I get your point. It might be better to be able to use those, as well as highjacking vehicles.

BUT if I could choose, I would leave it as it is, because Halo CE rules!

> They said that there will be options to make the experience new if you want it that way, I would assume the ability to use these weapons would be one of those options.

They were referring to the Graphics engine that is layered over the original CE Engine. You can choose to play in the new graphics, or by pressing the back button, you can play in the original graphics. As I stated earlier, nothing about the gameplay is being changed, only the graphics and slightly remastered sounds. Please, it’s not that hard to understand, considering this has been stated multiple times in the few videos that have been released.

They don’t NEED TO Change the Halo 1 engine to have sword/Fuel Rod.
The CE for the PC, Had a working Fuel Rod, AND… Flame thrower(dramatic music) If they wanted they could add these features because it is. technically from the original Halo.