Make Sprint aesthetical, not gameplay affecting

Please read and try to understand this entire post before posting yourself.

What I mean by this is that when the left stick is fully pressed forward, the character is sprinting. (120-130% speed as opposed to 150%, so it would be a jog more than a sprint) NOTE: Players would still be able to move at 120-130% speed in a sideways and backwards direction, however it wouldn’t have the sprinting animation.

However, he would have his gun still held pretty high, so that sprinting and shooting at the same time is possible. The reason I think this, is because sprint has become a sort of thing in shooters that people feel it has to have. Now, although I don’t agree with this at all, many people think this way. So it would be nice to have sprint in the game, but not affect gameplay at all.

Now, how to make it seem natural while still solving the problems that sprint brings with it. I would propose that after shooting while sprinting there is a cool down from holding your gun in the shooting position and holding it in the sprinting position. While fully sprinting, after shooting, your gun stays in the shooting position for 1 second, before lowering to the fully sprinting position. While in the sprinting position, there is a slight delay between when you want to shoot, and when you shoot. This allows time for people to raise their guns to the shooting position, as well as punishing people for going at full speed into a place where there are enemies.

Running away from fights - As the person shooting would already be shooting, they would be able to start sprinting without the sprinting position affecting them.

Double meleeing - If a person is sprinting towards you, you can move backwards at full speed while still shooting.

So basically just up the base speed, have your character gain momentum, and change the animation?

Have you really eliminated any of the gameplay effects then? Really you’re just proposing a change in how sprint takes effect, not the mechanic itself.

> So basically just up the base speed, have your character gain momentum, and change the animation?
>
> Have you really eliminated any of the gameplay effects then? Really you’re just proposing a change in how sprint takes effect, not the mechanic itself.

The point is that sprint shouldn’t stop your character from being able to shoot. It also allows players to move faster forwards than in any other direction.

Sprint adds nothing that increased movement speed doesn’t. In fact, all it does is harm gameplay.

Just keep sprint in the custom options category of the game. We’ll all be fine then. Competitive players will be satisfied, and casuals won’t even notice.

> > So basically just up the base speed, have your character gain momentum, and change the animation?
> >
> > Have you really eliminated any of the gameplay effects then? Really you’re just proposing a change in how sprint takes effect, not the mechanic itself.
>
> The point is that sprint shouldn’t stop your character from being able to shoot. It also allows players to move faster forwards than in any other direction.

I think that being unable to shoot while sprinting is key to the mechanic. Sprint can be used offensively, but not directly offensively. Being able to sprint at an enemy while spraying with an Assault Rifle gives quite a bit of power to the player. In order to make it serve an offensive purpose without becoming an offensive mechanic the player should not be able to shoot while sprinting.

And the player already could move forward faster than any other direction with sprint anyway.

> > > So basically just up the base speed, have your character gain momentum, and change the animation?
> > >
> > > Have you really eliminated any of the gameplay effects then? Really you’re just proposing a change in how sprint takes effect, not the mechanic itself.
> >
> > The point is that sprint shouldn’t stop your character from being able to shoot. It also allows players to move faster forwards than in any other direction.
>
> I think that being unable to shoot while sprinting is key to the mechanic. Sprint can be used offensively, but not directly offensively. Being able to sprint at an enemy while spraying with an Assault Rifle gives quite a bit of power to the player. In order to make it serve an offensive purpose without becoming an offensive mechanic the player should not be able to shoot while sprinting.
>
> And the player already could move forward faster than any other direction with sprint anyway.

No, my way fixes the fact that people can move faster forward than in other directions. This is a BAD aspect of sprint.

This is genius.

Hit the ‘AA’ button, and your arm animation changes, but your movement speed doesn’t!

> This is genius.
>
> Hit the ‘AA’ button, and your arm animation changes, but your movement speed doesn’t!

No silly, there would be no AA button.