Make DLC free after a certain period of time

Im getting desperate. I need more map variety. I Would not mind if it worked like this:

After a Certain amount of time (3-7 months for example) the DLC is released to the public for free.

Basically the Halo 3 system. Though im not sure what the time length was.

Well i still want 343 to make profit so there is no real solution… other than make a game so good that people are “peer pressured” into buying the dlc.

I think Microsoft has a policy that doesn’t allow DLC to be free that has achievements.

I’d like it and I’d still buy the dlc but I don’t think Microsoft would like it though. :slight_smile:

> Im getting desperate. I need more map variety. I Would not mind if it worked like this:
>
> After a Certain amount of time (3-7 months for example) the DLC is released to the public for free.
>
> Basically the Halo 3 system. Though im not sure what the time length was.

They only ever made the Heroic Map Pack free, likely because it didn’t have any achievements attached to it. Legendary was eventually discounted after 3 months, but Bungie took away the Bungie Pro bonus that came with it. After that, no map pack has ever been free after any period of time. Instead, Bungie made it so that, over time, map packs would be required in certain playlists.

> > Im getting desperate. I need more map variety. I Would not mind if it worked like this:
> >
> > After a Certain amount of time (3-7 months for example) the DLC is released to the public for free.
> >
> > Basically the Halo 3 system. Though im not sure what the time length was.
>
> They only ever made the Heroic Map Pack free, likely because it didn’t have any achievements attached to it. Legendary was eventually discounted after 3 months, but Bungie took away the Bungie Pro bonus that came with it. After that, no map pack has ever been free after any period of time. Instead, Bungie made it so that, over time, map packs would be required in certain playlists.

really? Didn’t remember that. So all hope is lost then unless they figure out how to better implement them.

There is no way to make things free nor is the reason to. If companies made DLC free the prices of games would go up among other issues. If DLC eventually became free no one would buy DLC because they would just wait.

> > > Im getting desperate. I need more map variety. I Would not mind if it worked like this:
> > >
> > > After a Certain amount of time (3-7 months for example) the DLC is released to the public for free.
> > >
> > > Basically the Halo 3 system. Though im not sure what the time length was.
> >
> > They only ever made the Heroic Map Pack free, likely because it didn’t have any achievements attached to it. Legendary was eventually discounted after 3 months, but Bungie took away the Bungie Pro bonus that came with it. After that, no map pack has ever been free after any period of time. Instead, Bungie made it so that, over time, map packs would be required in certain playlists.
>
> really? Didn’t remember that. So all hope is lost then unless they figure out how to better implement them.

I think social remained restriction free (as I believe it currently is), but ranked eventually required all DLC. I personally like Halo 3’s system, and I wish Halo 4 and/or future titles would implement it again. Make some playlists DLC required, and some not. Maybe even rotate which ones require DLC every few months.

Free DLC, I think, it out of the question (when it comes to achievements, at least). However, discounts over time like with the Legendary Map pack would be nice. But for sure, the current system is not working, and Halo 3’s worked well enough. Individuals who continue to invest in the game should be rewarded for their investment.

> > > > Im getting desperate. I need more map variety. I Would not mind if it worked like this:
> > > >
> > > > After a Certain amount of time (3-7 months for example) the DLC is released to the public for free.
> > > >
> > > > Basically the Halo 3 system. Though im not sure what the time length was.
> > >
> > > They only ever made the Heroic Map Pack free, likely because it didn’t have any achievements attached to it. Legendary was eventually discounted after 3 months, but Bungie took away the Bungie Pro bonus that came with it. After that, no map pack has ever been free after any period of time. Instead, Bungie made it so that, over time, map packs would be required in certain playlists.
> >
> > really? Didn’t remember that. So all hope is lost then unless they figure out how to better implement them.
>
> I think social remained restriction free (as I believe it currently is), but ranked eventually required all DLC. I personally like Halo 3’s system, and I wish Halo 4 and/or future titles would implement it again. Make some playlists DLC required, and some not. Maybe even rotate which ones require DLC every few months.
>
> Free DLC, I think, it out of the question (when it comes to achievements, at least). However, discounts over time like with the Legendary Map pack would be nice. But for sure, the current system is not working, and Halo 3’s worked well enough. Individuals who continue to invest in the game should be rewarded for their investment.

I guess what i really wanted out of this thread was DC required, not free dlc. But that would literally kill the game so we can;t have that unfortunately.

free dlc would be great. i think everyone would be for it, but developers, microsoft would lose money. i don’t think they would like that.

It would be better if MS just made a 50% off deal for a day, on all current dlc for Halo 4. So all the map packs would be 400 MSP and maybe then people might buy it because it costs less.

> > Im getting desperate. I need more map variety. I Would not mind if it worked like this:
> >
> > After a Certain amount of time (3-7 months for example) the DLC is released to the public for free.
> >
> > Basically the Halo 3 system. Though im not sure what the time length was.
>
> They only ever made the Heroic Map Pack free, likely because it didn’t have any achievements attached to it. Legendary was eventually discounted after 3 months, but Bungie took away the Bungie Pro bonus that came with it. After that, no map pack has ever been free after any period of time. Instead, Bungie made it so that, over time, map packs would be required in certain playlists.

People tend to forget this… A lot…