Make Big Team Battle TRULY BT

Long Post Incoming, TLDR at the bottom;

So for the longest time, ever since Invasion on Reach and beyond that with Big Team Social on Halo 3, myself and many of my dedicated Halo friends have wanted a true Big Team Battle game. Something to the effect of 30 vs 30.

I know many of the old guard, like myself, would probably want to point out how it wouldn’t go well with the instant action, small to medium map size gameplay that Halo is known for but I used to play with clans on Halo: Reach where we would have a full lobby of up to 18 players where we would try to invade the other group’s ‘map’/lobby and try to raid them and these games could last anywhere from hours to days (before we implemented rules to keep games from going for days due to a couple being as long as 2 or even 3 days) ((To those wondering? We would swap out players with some of our EU members or those who didn’t have work or school))

These games were insane and truly felt like an all out warfare battle. Sometimes we were in a hallway of a UNSC/Covenant ship or sometimes, more often than not, we were assaulting a base. All of which was wonderfully designed and brought to life by our forging community side of the groups with extraordinary detail for the limitations we had then. Besides being in clans even there were many social game players of our communities who loved the idea of larger lobbies with more players given how many of us there were at any given time.

Now, for a personal request I have been plugging since Halo 4 was first announced and I doubt anyone on this board would remember nor anyone at 343 but here it is…

I want a Large Scale Warfare Halo game mode/game.

Now I know there are some out there that would tell me ‘Just go play Battlefield/ARMA/etc’. I could…but then I wouldn’t be playing Halo which is the purpose of this want/request. As someone who has played and been apart of the community over in OP:TRE (Operation Trebuchet) on ARMA back during the beginnings of it’s development (Hell, before it became OP:TRE even and was still Eridanus Insurrection) I love that mod to death and back and the idea I can have these detailed Halo-stylized military ops is amazing…but it’s not a Halo-style game.

What I have been asking for, specifically in comparison, is something akin to Battlefield 2142’s Titan Mode;

• Two Opposing Ships/Bases - Five Objectives - Ground and Aerial Vehicles (with the inclusion of Pelicans and the like as flyable) - With a deeper objective to break into the Enemy Base/Ship and win.The best part about this request is that I feel like 343 heard me in some way when making Warzone and made it all their own…but it’s not the same. Seeing a bunch of Spartan’s on a field with tons of mobs is cool but it felt more like a FPS MOBA than an objective based warzone. I really want to see that military side of Halo fleshed out into actual ops and fighting rather than being these training simulations. Especially with playable elites. AI Elites are cool but nothing beats the mindset and tactical prowess of an actual player behind that splitjaw.

And please…no REQ cards.

Here’s hoping something like this is in the process or perhaps something similar is planned. I have personally been quite…upset…with 343 and it’s previous titles despite still saying that Halo 4 has one of the best, if not THE best, campaign and Halo 5 being tons of fun in it’s own right…I have really felt lead on by a skeleton of the brand I love.

However!

Halo: Infinite, while I am trying to keep my hype from getting too up there in terms of levels, has me so excited at the prospect of what this can be, what this engine can do and what it means for the Halo franchise as a whole! Let’s really make this something spectacular, 343i.

TLDR: 30v30 BTB plz. Objective battlefield-esque Halo gamemode plz. The hype is real but I am cautious.

I’ve wanted this since Halo: CE but I don’t think we will ever see it happen. It would be colossal undertaking far bigger than Warzone. You’d have to design some HUGE maps and make sure that the netcode is stable enough to handle all the chaos and not have Scorpions lagging their way through the battlefield (and probably through walls). With that said, if by some chance 343 did pull something like this off (even if it’s “just” 16v16) I would probably scream like a madman for DAYS!

Agreed… Invasion was a good kind-of first step, warzone was actually a great logical progression.
I’d like something somewhat similar to the old MAG concept; an objective-like game that starts with 4 teams of 4 (“red” team or whatever) all individually against 4 opposing teams of 4 (“blue” team?), then as the team’s complete their individual objectives they link up and it becomes two instances of 8v8, and then finally one big open 16v16 to complete the match.

> 2533274870884222;2:
> I’ve wanted this since Halo: CE but I don’t think we will ever see it happen. It would be colossal undertaking far bigger than Warzone. You’d have to design some HUGE maps and make sure that the netcode is stable enough to handle all the chaos and not have Scorpions lagging their way through the battlefield (and probably through walls). With that said, if by some chance 343 did pull something like this off (even if it’s “just” 16v16) I would probably scream like a madman for DAYS!

That’s why with each new Halo I try posting something like this again and again. It’s gotten recognition before by fans and it has its audience for sure. Just gotta keep hoping and plugging away.

I’m no tech, so I obviously don’t get the tech limitations for these kinds of things, but I’ve always thought that too!

Warzone was an awesome surprise, but didn’t quite get there.
I would fall in love with the idea of Halo maps on the scale of Star Wars Battlefront II Galactic Assault maps with 20 v 20 (or more?). Surely if Star Wars 20v20 works on GA, 343i could do a version that works too?

I love the idea of this, but it would take a lot to ensure it’s balanced. Other games with 30 v 30 get rather chaotic and those games don’t have overshields like Halo does. I’m sure they could figure out how to do it correctly, but every match would undoubtedly be a chaotic mess. It would still be a ton of fun, though!

I’d like to see a minimum of 12 V 12 but 16 V 16 would be truly fantastic! The halo 5 forge maps were huge but I felt like they were never used to their true potential unfortunately

> 2533274851997977;5:
> I’m no tech, so I obviously don’t get the tech limitations for these kinds of things, but I’ve always thought that too!
>
> Warzone was an awesome surprise, but didn’t quite get there.
> I would fall in love with the idea of Halo maps on the scale of Star Wars Battlefront II Galactic Assault maps with 20 v 20 (or more?). Surely if Star Wars 20v20 works on GA, 343i could do a version that works too?

I mean the tech from ten years or more prior handled even bigger games. Include that with the new engine showing it rendering multiple wildlife and other such things? (which could be just cinematic for all I know) I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. If games like the original Battlefront II can handle it I don’t see why Halo Infinite can’t.

> 2533274851997977;5:
> I’m no tech, so I obviously don’t get the tech limitations for these kinds of things, but I’ve always thought that too!
>
> Warzone was an awesome surprise, but didn’t quite get there.
> I would fall in love with the idea of Halo maps on the scale of Star Wars Battlefront II Galactic Assault maps with 20 v 20 (or more?). Surely if Star Wars 20v20 works on GA, 343i could do a version that works too?

Certainly my thought process.

a 16 vs 16 or even 32 vs 32 halo game would be epic, me and my buddies used to dream about this happening on coagulation!

They could make it happen for sure.

I would love any thing bigger than 8v8, as long as the maps are good, and orginal. I disliked the forge made btb maps in 5.

if they use old graphics and asets, they coukd easily make 30vs30.

Well, depending on the assets for this next forge? What with the changed art style and the power it is (possibly) promoting? We may be able to get some pretty good community made BTB maps this time around. That or company made, who knows.

No thanks. 8v8 truly is BTB.

What they need to do is launch with an actual BTB playlist (ranked and unranked), with dev made maps, and round based objectives making a return.

> 2533274856560133;1:
> I want a Large Scale Warfare Halo game mode/game.

This is what I’ve been wanting since the X1 gen started. Battlefield has been doing this with 64 players and now Fornite has 100 players so surely we could get 50/50 BTB or maybe even 64 players. Even if we get more/less players than more modern shooters…it be still nice to finally have bigger maps since most of the maps in H5 was pretty small compared to what I was expecting plus it could mean bigger maps that could fit scarabs that could played with like what fans did with the Halo 3 Elephant’s did on Sandtrap, there’s so many more things they could do plus 8 v 8 on small maps is pretty disappointing.

Well I’m certainly up for something like this I’d be happy if we could just get classic invasion back and expand from there.

Call it yuge team battle

I’d rather they not change BTB, and instead add a mode like how Mag was.

• 256 total players - 128 vs 128 - Have your own faction, battalion, platoon, squad, etc…
    A game mode this size would be able to support some of the crazier stuff people have asked for over the years. Pilotable Scarabs, Shadows, Phantoms and such. Maybe even be able to bring back Reach’s Invasion mode into it.

> 2533274823890156;17:
> I’d rather they not change BTB, and instead add a mode like how Mag was.
> - 256 total players - 128 vs 128 - Have your own faction, battalion, platoon, squad, etc…A game mode this size would be able to support some of the crazier stuff people have asked for over the years. Pilotable Scarabs, Shadows, Phantoms and such. Maybe even be able to bring back Reach’s Invasion mode into it.

Remember all those clans that people complained were farming in Warzone in Halo 5? Imagine those clans linking up to play 128 vs 128?? People would lose their john-brown minds.

I can hear the complaints now. Sorry bud. This would be a nightmare for people looking to have fun.

Ehh, I don’t know. Having lots of players would be interesting, but I think it might start getting a little chaotic especially when you think about objective modes. They might have to make it where there are multiple flags or bombs in a game.

> 2533274829253443;18:
> > 2533274823890156;17:
> > I’d rather they not change BTB, and instead add a mode like how Mag was.
> > - 256 total players - 128 vs 128 - Have your own faction, battalion, platoon, squad, etc…A game mode this size would be able to support some of the crazier stuff people have asked for over the years. Pilotable Scarabs, Shadows, Phantoms and such. Maybe even be able to bring back Reach’s Invasion mode into it.
>
> Remember all those clans that people complained were farming in Warzone in Halo 5? Imagine those clans linking up to play 128 vs 128?? People would lose their john-brown minds.
>
> I can hear the complaints now. Sorry bud. This would be a nightmare for people looking to have fun.

Sort of get what you mean but Warzone is unbalanced in general plus the maps are pretty small compared to what they should be since there’s barely any room for vehicles to move, makes it easy for vehicles to be hijacked plus the small maps means less place to spawn, that leads to awful spawns, it’s more noticeable in Warzone Assault.

As for player based I don’t think 256 players would work, I think 64 players at minimum should be more suitable since I’ve played BF4 with the same maps with 32, then 64 players and it didn’t seem to play much different but still was fun so I guess Infinite could do with more players but only increase amounts to what might make sense for the selected map size.