[MAJOR SPOILERS] Halo 4 Campaign Discussion

WARNING: IF YOU HAVE NOT FINISHED THE HALO 4 CAMPAIGN, DO NOT READ!

Firstly, holy s**t did 343 do a fantastic job. So now I thought it would be good to have a single place to discuss Halo 4 for those who have completed it.

  • The 360 has no right producing the type of graphics Halo 4 has. It’s ridiculous. It’s brilliant.

  • Is it just me, or are grenades very different? They seem to throw differently and have a terribly small blast radius.

  • Prometheans were fun to fight, but I still prefer the Covenant.

  • Well, Cortana’s ‘dead’*… What? I’ll give you that 343, you got me. Didn’t see that coming.

  • So, turns out the ending WAS leaked in the BTS. But no Halsey? It must’ve been referencing the prologue, unless Spartan Ops has a few suprises in store?

  • The Didact. Looks more beast-like than I expected, but really cool. Very poor ‘death’* though. And so he IS the ancient evil, I guess Silentium has some explaining to do.

  • The Librarian was an excellent suprise. Her explanation of the Ancient humans was a bit brief, but it’s good to know the extended fiction is being introduced to the masses.

  • Speaking of, Prometheans are composed ancient humans. What a twist!

  • So much glorious terminology, like “Ancilla”.

  • Tillman being composed. Woah.

  • Del Rio’s a -Yoink-.

  • 343, pushing the boundaries in the legendary ending.

*I say dead, but they’re most likely, you know, alive.

I haven’t played Halo 4. But I agree, Del Rio is a -Yoinking!- -Yoink-

I thought the Warriors were composed Forerunners?

The power of the composer…to see what it did to humans on Installation 03, that was just…wow

Edit - I dont think were done hearing from Cortana, I dont know how, but I know she will have some role moving forward. Possibly a Mendicant Bias type twist, where shes in the story so to speak, but never seen or heard from by anyone?

Im very very interested to see how Chief responds as a person and spartan moving forward. At the end, his body language, he just seems, beaten

> I thought the Warriors were composed Forerunners?
>
> The power of the composer…to see what it did to humans on Installation 03, that was just…wow

No, the Librarian revealed that they were composed ancient humans.

Whats worse is that the Didact did that to a large area of the Earth, as shown in the post-credit ending.

Cortana could be alive, when The Librarian snatched Cortana maybe just maybe the Librarian made a copy of her in order to preserve her? It’s just sad to see a great character that just got fleshed out die, but it’s for the best. MC seems to bring out his human side due to her death…

To me it seemed as The librarian when she mutated cheif to defeat the didact…could chief become the next didact as in memories and all?..like bornsteller…hell was the didact in the game the original or bornsteller?..

> Cortana could be alive, when The Librarian snatched Cortana maybe just maybe the Librarian made a copy of her in order to preserve her? It’s just sad to see a great character that just got fleshed out die, but it’s for the best. MC seems to bring out his human side due to her death…

I can’t see them not bringing her back. She’s as much a part of the main Halo games as the Chief. Halo 5’s whole purpose will most likely be to find/recover Cortana.

> To me it seemmed as The librarian mutated cheif to defeat the didact…could chief become the next didact as in memories and all?..like bornsteller…hell was the didact in the game the original or bornsteller?..

Pretty sure she opened his Geas, im feeling like theres a good chance he has direct lineage to an ancient human war fighter

Im interested to hear how many humans on Earth were killed by the composer

I believe the Didact in game was the Ur-Didact

As someone else just stated about the Librarian getting a copy of Cortana, possible, as she did note her key importance as Chiefs ancilla

> > Cortana could be alive, when The Librarian snatched Cortana maybe just maybe the Librarian made a copy of her in order to preserve her? It’s just sad to see a great character that just got fleshed out die, but it’s for the best. MC seems to bring out his human side due to her death…
>
> I can’t see them not bringing her back. She’s as much a part of the main Halo games as the Chief. Halo 5’s whole purpose will most likely be to find/recover Cortana.

Halo 5: The Search for Cortana ??

Where have I seen that before…? If Chief is headed to a planet named Genesis, I’m just going to lose it!

The Didact in the game was the Ur-Didact, as I the Bornstellar-Didact was the Didact that activated the Halos, while the Ur-Didact was exiled to Requiem.

Also, it’s very possible that Cortana didn’t die.

And I wasn’t sure if the Didact was the “ancient evil” or not…I also agree that he looked slightly vampirish and his “boss fight” was pretty small for such a powerful being, but the amazing sounds, the better-than-Xbox graphics, and the amazing gameplay more than makes up for it.

> > To me it seemmed as The librarian mutated cheif to defeat the didact…could chief become the next didact as in memories and all?..like bornsteller…hell was the didact in the game the original or bornsteller?..
>
> Pretty sure she opened his Geas, im feeling like theres a good chance he has direct lineage to an ancient human war fighter
>
> Im interested to hear how many humans on Earth were killed by the composer
>
> I believe the Didact in game was the Ur-Didact
>
>
> As someone else just stated about the Librarian getting a copy of Cortana, possible, as she did note her key importance as Chiefs ancilla

Straight from the Halo wiki;

“The Didact was later executed at the hands of the Master Builder, making Bornstellar, for all intents and purposes, the reincarnation of the Didact.”

Why does no one seem to realize there is only one Didact. EDIT: (At any given time.)

So, I just figured one thing out. New Pheonix was the place that was composed on Earth. It’s referenced in Spartan Ops and in the ‘Midnight’ mission Description, but why is it never mentioned in campaign?

> Very poor ‘death’* though.

I couldn’t agree more. The fact that it was a QTE made the moment an even bigger disappointment for me.

> > > To me it seemmed as The librarian mutated cheif to defeat the didact…could chief become the next didact as in memories and all?..like bornsteller…hell was the didact in the game the original or bornsteller?..
> >
> > Pretty sure she opened his Geas, im feeling like theres a good chance he has direct lineage to an ancient human war fighter
> >
> > Im interested to hear how many humans on Earth were killed by the composer
> >
> > I believe the Didact in game was the Ur-Didact
> >
> >
> > As someone else just stated about the Librarian getting a copy of Cortana, possible, as she did note her key importance as Chiefs ancilla
>
> Straight from the Halo wiki;
>
> “The Didact was later executed at the hands of the Master Builder, making Bornstellar, for all intents and purposes, the reincarnation of the Didact.”
>
> Why does no one seem to realize there is only one Didact.

Because the Silentium Description explicitly mentions that the original Ur-Didact is very much alive.

> So, I just figured one thing out. New Pheonix was the place that was composed on Earth. It’s referenced in Spartan Ops and in the ‘Midnight’ mission Description, but why is it never mentioned in campaign?

If you look at where the Composer was firing, you more or less can put 2 and 2 together. No need to directly tell you imo. Unless people aren’t very keen on geography I guess…

The ancient evil will be the flood. The flood will be the enemy that threatens all again. They have came back after every single defeat they had. While the humans are busy reclaim the galaxy and fighting the ur-didact, their acient enemy will come back. Halo 5 & 6 will be centered around finding cortana, finding out more about the flood back ground, in this trilogy the didact is akind to the forerunner, the enemy in the front that has a different goal, but is against the flood.

343 made sure to keep the flood out, yet explain exactly how they are the actual reason for the events of halo 4. Where the flood came from and what is their plan is what we find out next.

> Because the Silentium Description explicitly mentions that the original Ur-Didact is very much alive.

Oh my, you are indeed right. My apologies.

> The ancient evil will be the flood. The flood will be the enemy that threatens all again. They have came back after every single defeat they had. While the humans are busy reclaim the galaxy, their acient enemy will come back. Halo 5 & 6 will be centered around finding cortana, finding out more about the flood back ground.
>
> 343 made sure to keep the flood out, yet explain exactly how they are the actual reason for the events of halo 4. Where the flood came from and what is their plan is what we find out next.

It’s (in my opinion) deeply implied Humanity is the Ancient Evil. See post credits ending and listen to what’s being said.

What was up with the whole Chief/Cortana matrix scene at the end?
My main question is where do they go from here? They didn’t leave much to go on for a sequel other than the didact survived the fall and the nuke.

You know what occuried to me is ancient humanity, what if we had our own plan, the forunners had shield worlds and halos, the precursors had the flood, what if we hid something in the depths of space?