Major Problems with Custom Games

I’ve been creating custom forge maps and playing in custom game lobbies for years, and I want to bring more attention to the Major Problems that are negatively impacting the Custom Games scene. In no particular order, here they are:

1. Fireteam size allows for more than 16 players, but you can’t start with more than 16. Even if you have it on Invite Only, people can still invite their friends and make this very difficult for the host, requiring him to Kick players from the game. This has never been a problem in previous Halo games.
  2. We need a Maximum Party size option, like we always had. I should be able to set my lobby to a limit of 10 players if I want.
  3. Add Privacy Options for Open, and Closed. Open would allow Followers and Recent Players to join without an invite. Closed would prevent new players altogether.
  4. Make it so that Fireteam Chat works in the menu. Try getting players on certain teams in a 16 player lobby sometime.
  5. After playing a FFA game the players (other than the host) can’t see or switch teams. The host has to turn Teams On/Off as a workaround.
  6. Bookmarked Custom Game modes won’t load unless the exact base game mode is loaded first. I get messages almost everyday from followers experiencing this issue. 343 is fully aware (I know from watching Livestreams), and they haven’t done anything about it.
  7. Party Leader cannot Boot players mid-game.
  8. The ability to Change Teams mid-game was added without the option to disable that feature. Ideally, the Party Leader could Enable/Disable this feature mid-game. Starting a match you usually wouldn’t want that to be on, but if teams become uneven mid-game then you would want it on.
  9. Party Leader should be able to change the Privacy (Friends/Invite Only) mid-game. I’m pretty sure we used to be able to do this.
  10. Party Leader should be able to promote someone else as the leader mid-game.
  11. When using game chat, you should be able to see who’s talking, without pulling up the scoreboard.

Had to get that out of my system. Please Like/Comment in hopes that 343 sees this and does something about it. If a certain issue is driving you crazy, then please mention which number it is. If I missed something (major), then please comment about it.

> 6. Bookmarked Custom Game modes won’t load unless the exact base game mode is loaded first. I get messages almost everyday from followers experiencing this issue. 343 is fully aware (I know from watching Livestreams), and they haven’t done anything about it.

This was literally driving me crazy, thank you! You’ve brought up quite a lot of good points which are definitely common concerns imo.

Ugh, this post is so accurate.

I host large custom game nights every week, and it’s like the fireteam leader has to be some kind of professional host-master. If you want custom games to run smoothly, you have to take a college course and major in B.S. in order to operate everything correctly. You need to make sure that someone doesn’t hop into the lobby right before a game starts, otherwise you have to stop the entire game and back out in order to kick them. Before they added the ability to change teams, all it took was one person changing before the game started to derail the entire thing. Even now there’s problems with teams. #5 on this list haunts my nightmares. 343 has somehow managed to create the most thoroughly frustrating custom games system ever conceived for a Halo game. And that’s a shame, because the new Forge mode has allowed the community to make the most incredible maps in the history of Halo custom games. Despite the fact that there’s STILL NO INFECTION…

Ugh. Rant over.

> 2533274900890786;3:
> Ugh, this post is so accurate.
>
> I host large custom game nights every week, and it’s like the fireteam leader has to be some kind of professional host-master. If you want custom games to run smoothly, you have to take a college course and major in B.S. in order to operate everything correctly. You need to make sure that someone doesn’t hop into the lobby right before a game starts, otherwise you have to stop the entire game and back out in order to kick them. Before they added the ability to change teams, all it took was one person changing before the game started to derail the entire thing. Even now there’s problems with teams. #5 on this list haunts my nightmares. 343 has somehow managed to create the most thoroughly frustrating custom games system ever conceived for a Halo game. And that’s a shame, because the new Forge mode has allowed the community to make the most incredible maps in the history of Halo custom games. Despite the fact that there’s STILL NO INFECTION…
>
> Ugh. Rant over.

Try hosting a custom game whilst broadcasting on Twitch sometime. Doesn’t get much worse than that. Where’s muh Like?!

Completely agree. I’d also add
-File Browser
-Organized map list
-Organized game mode list
-Gamemodes

Kind of surprised this got buried that fast.

> 2533274970658419;6:
> Kind of surprised this got buried that fast.

Unfortunately the majority of players don’t really care about custom games, but there is still a substantial portion that does care. Another problem is that most of these issues would only be detected by the host.

Not being able to boot people mid-game is awful. I had a Forge game going and two people just joined and wouldn’t leave and -Yoinked!- the whole thing up. They destroyed my last twenty minutes of work (well, all my work, but I saved every half hour so that’s all I lost) while trying to figure out how to kick them before I exited to kick them. This is absurd.

> 2533274827546373;8:
> Not being able to boot people mid-game is awful. I had a Forge game going and two people just joined and wouldn’t leave and -Yoinked!- the whole thing up. They destroyed my last twenty minutes of work (well, all my work, but I saved every half hour so that’s all I lost) while trying to figure out how to kick them before I exited to kick them. This is absurd.

If I forget to put my forge session on Invite Only and see “Player Joined”, then the first thing I think of to do is to see who it is. How do you do that? Press the Back/Select button. Oops, that saves it unless you’re on foot. A lot of people don’t know that it’s bad manners to join a forge session without being invited.

1. Worst thing is, as OP said, 343 know about it and even have to do the base game load trick during a live stream. How embarrassing 343…

Issue: Fireteam leader lockout or Gametype reset

Frequency: Intermittent.

Cause: After an end game scenario where the host wished to immediately restart a game, one of two things happen. 1) The Gametype resets to its default variant settings. 2) After the next end game, the host is locked out of the menu unable to do anything other than scroll the current Gametype description; app reset is mandatory at this point.

Fix #6!

This really needs to be brought to 343’s attention.

> 2533274944512653;13:
> This really needs to be brought to 343’s attention.

I sent a tweet to Tom French and Bravo linking my forgehub post about this. Hopefully I’ll hear back soon.

Edit: I guess Quinn is the guy to ask

> 2533274794242693;14:
> > 2533274944512653;13:
> > This really needs to be brought to 343’s attention.
>
>
> I sent a tweet to Tom French and Bravo linking my forgehub post about this. Hopefully I’ll hear back soon.
>
> Edit: I guess Quinn is the guy to ask

So did anyone ask Quinn, or do we still have to?

This definitely is an issue that needs attention. Of course, I wouldn’t consider it gamebreaking by any means, but such small measures can increase the overall enjoyment by a huge margin.

> 2533274891745993;15:
> > 2533274794242693;14:
> > > 2533274944512653;13:
> > > This really needs to be brought to 343’s attention.
> >
> >
> > I sent a tweet to Tom French and Bravo linking my forgehub post about this. Hopefully I’ll hear back soon.
> >
> > Edit: I guess Quinn is the guy to ask
>
>
> So did anyone ask Quinn, or do we still have to?

I’m putting together a video that provides a lot of details about the issue, and the final step is to have everyone message Quinn on Twitter to get a response. Subscribe to my YouTube if interested.