MAC projectile shape

During an spacebattle a UNSCship fires it MAC gun at a covenant ship and hit.
The question is,what shape has the projectile,is it still a solid Metalcylinder or an fast moving molten metal cloud?
For an atmospehric fight the answer would be metal cloud,due the airresistance but hows about in space?
Answers are appricated

Their ammunition is only described as slugs, so similar to a shotgun slug, maybe? It’s pretty similar to what a Gauss Cannon fires, but on a larger scale, so if you can find out what that looks like, there ya go.

> 2535456575907503;2:
> Their ammunition is only described as slugs, so similar to a shotgun slug, maybe? It’s pretty similar to what a Gauss Cannon fires, but on a larger scale, so if you can find out what that looks like, there ya go.

So now that what I feared could happen happend:
A wrong/maybe missleading title and not reading of the OP resulted now in an answer that doesnt match the question.
I want to know the material status of the slug,solid or molten iron cloud after it got fired in space.

> 2535408730995228;3:
> > 2535456575907503;2:
> > Their ammunition is only described as slugs, so similar to a shotgun slug, maybe? It’s pretty similar to what a Gauss Cannon fires, but on a larger scale, so if you can find out what that looks like, there ya go.
>
> So now that what I feared could happen happend:
> A wrong/maybe missleading title and not reading of the OP resulted now in an answer that doesnt match the question.

You asked what shape it would be, how is that not answering the question?

> 2535456575907503;4:
> > 2535408730995228;3:
> > > 2535456575907503;2:
> > > Their ammunition is only described as slugs, so similar to a shotgun slug, maybe? It’s pretty similar to what a Gauss Cannon fires, but on a larger scale, so if you can find out what that looks like, there ya go.
> >
> > So now that what I feared could happen happend:
> > A wrong/maybe missleading title and not reading of the OP resulted now in an answer that doesnt match the question.
>
> You asked what shape it would be, how is that not answering the question?

In this case the word shape was used due an local oddity that allows you to replace "shape"with state.
Its a mistake from my side,so the correct question would be:
I want to know the material status of the slug,solid or molten iron cloud after it got fired in space.

> 2535408730995228;5:
> > 2535456575907503;4:
> > > 2535408730995228;3:
> > > > 2535456575907503;2:
> > > > Their ammunition is only described as slugs, so similar to a shotgun slug, maybe? It’s pretty similar to what a Gauss Cannon fires, but on a larger scale, so if you can find out what that looks like, there ya go.
> > >
> > > So now that what I feared could happen happend:
> > > A wrong/maybe missleading title and not reading of the OP resulted now in an answer that doesnt match the question.
> >
> > You asked what shape it would be, how is that not answering the question?
>
> In this case the word shape was used due an local oddity that allows you to replace "shape"with state.
> Its a mistake from my side,so the correct question would be:
> I want to know the material status of the slug,solid or molten iron cloud after it got fired in space.

Its a solid slug. Like Sorge said, its a giant bullet akin to a Gauss cannon round, or a really, really, REALLY big battleship rounds (comparing it to shells from today’s navy).

> 2533274805386380;6:
> > 2535408730995228;5:
> > > 2535456575907503;4:
> > > > 2535408730995228;3:
> > > > > 2535456575907503;2:
> > > > > Their ammunition is only described as slugs, so similar to a shotgun slug, maybe? It’s pretty similar to what a Gauss Cannon fires, but on a larger scale, so if you can find out what that looks like, there ya go.
> > > >
> > > > So now that what I feared could happen happend:
> > > > A wrong/maybe missleading title and not reading of the OP resulted now in an answer that doesnt match the question.
> > >
> > > You asked what shape it would be, how is that not answering the question?
> >
> > In this case the word shape was used due an local oddity that allows you to replace "shape"with state.
> > Its a mistake from my side,so the correct question would be:
> > I want to know the material status of the slug,solid or molten iron cloud after it got fired in space.
>
> Its a solid slug. Like Sorge said, its a giant bullet akin to a Gauss cannon round, or a really, really, REALLY big battleship rounds (comparing it to shells from today’s navy).

So in space the Ship got hit by an solid metalcylinder while in athmosphere it got hit by an molten metal cloud.
So now two more questions:
Is it possible to reach a velocity in space thats high enough to turn the round into a molten cloud or even plasma?
If yes the velocity needed to lay in the higher percantages of lightspeed.

> 2535408730995228;7:
> > 2533274805386380;6:
> > > 2535408730995228;5:
> > > > 2535456575907503;4:
> > > > > 2535408730995228;3:
> > > > > > 2535456575907503;2:
> > > > > > Their ammunition is only described as slugs, so similar to a shotgun slug, maybe? It’s pretty similar to what a Gauss Cannon fires, but on a larger scale, so if you can find out what that looks like, there ya go.
> > > > >
> > > > > So now that what I feared could happen happend:
> > > > > A wrong/maybe missleading title and not reading of the OP resulted now in an answer that doesnt match the question.
> > > >
> > > > You asked what shape it would be, how is that not answering the question?
> > >
> > > In this case the word shape was used due an local oddity that allows you to replace "shape"with state.
> > > Its a mistake from my side,so the correct question would be:
> > > I want to know the material status of the slug,solid or molten iron cloud after it got fired in space.
> >
> > Its a solid slug. Like Sorge said, its a giant bullet akin to a Gauss cannon round, or a really, really, REALLY big battleship rounds (comparing it to shells from today’s navy).
>
> So in space the Ship got hit by an solid metalcylinder while in athmosphere it got hit by an molten metal cloud.
> So now two more questions:
> Is it possible to reach a velocity in space thats high enough to turn the round into a molten cloud or even plasma?
> If yes the velocity needed to lay in the higher percantages of lightspeed.

I don’t think you’re fully understanding this.
Basically, it doesn’t matter what the MAC round flies through - atmosphere, space, Covenant ships, etc. Its a solid tungsten slug. I’m sure once it impacts an object it can shatter based its sheer velocity and power. As for it turning into a molten metal cloud? Not sure.

> 2533274805386380;8:
> > 2535408730995228;7:
> > > 2533274805386380;6:
> > > > 2535408730995228;5:
> > > > > 2535456575907503;4:
> > > > > > 2535408730995228;3:
> > > > > > > 2535456575907503;2:
> > > > > > > Their ammunition is only described as slugs, so similar to a shotgun slug, maybe? It’s pretty similar to what a Gauss Cannon fires, but on a larger scale, so if you can find out what that looks like, there ya go.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > So now that what I feared could happen happend:
> > > > > > A wrong/maybe missleading title and not reading of the OP resulted now in an answer that doesnt match the question.
> > > > >
> > > > > You asked what shape it would be, how is that not answering the question?
> > > >
> > > > In this case the word shape was used due an local oddity that allows you to replace "shape"with state.
> > > > Its a mistake from my side,so the correct question would be:
> > > > I want to know the material status of the slug,solid or molten iron cloud after it got fired in space.
> > >
> > > Its a solid slug. Like Sorge said, its a giant bullet akin to a Gauss cannon round, or a really, really, REALLY big battleship rounds (comparing it to shells from today’s navy).
> >
> > So in space the Ship got hit by an solid metalcylinder while in athmosphere it got hit by an molten metal cloud.
> > So now two more questions:
> > Is it possible to reach a velocity in space thats high enough to turn the round into a molten cloud or even plasma?
> > If yes the velocity needed to lay in the higher percantages of lightspeed.
>
> I don’t think you’re fully understanding this.
> Basically, it doesn’t matter what the MAC round flies through - atmosphere, space, Covenant ships, etc. Its a solid tungsten slug. I’m sure once it impacts an object it can shatter based its sheer velocity and power. As for it turning into a molten metal cloud? Not sure.

I want to know if its possible that the Tungsten projectile turns into an fast movimg metal cloud,not the target

Whoa whoa whoa. There isn’t just one single MAC round used. Just like various types of bullets and tank shells, there are various kinds of MAC rounds used for different situations. Like Armor piercing, explosive, and shredder like rounds. Just to name a few. Also, these rounds can be made of various materials, again used for different kinds of situations.

There isn’t just one universal MAC round shape and configuration. Remember that all military hardware and software is used in mission specific scenarios when able.

As for the shapes of these rounds, we don’t know yet. I assume at least that the AP round is shaped similarly to a sabot armor piercing round used by modern tanks. And the various materials used in various rounds would be carbon fiber reinforced tungsten, tungsten carbide, and depleted uranium. Also, I’d assume military scientists would also reinforce these materials similarly to Titanium as they do with Titanium-A and A3 armor.

> 2533274919463107;10:
> Whoa whoa whoa. There isn’t just one single MAC round used. Just like various types of bullets and tank shells, there are various kinds of MAC rounds used for different situations. Like Armor piercing, explosive, and shredder like rounds. Just to name a few. Also, these rounds can be made of various materials, again used for different kinds of situations.
>
> There isn’t just one universal MAC round shape and configuration. Remember that all military hardware and software is used in mission specific scenarios when able.
>
> As for the shapes of these rounds, we don’t know yet. I assume at least that the AP round is shaped similarly to a sabot armor piercing round used by modern tanks. And the various materials used in various rounds would be carbon fiber reinforced tungsten, tungsten carbide, and depleted uranium. Also, I’d assume military scientists would also reinforce these materials similarly to Titanium as they do with Titanium-A and A3 armor.

Assumingwe have a 600ton cylindrical tungsten round,would physic in space allow us to bring the round at such an high velocity that it would turn from an solid tungsten round into an molten tungsten cloud?
In atmosphere it would be possible due the airresistance but in space no airresistance is existing.

MAC rounds? In atmosphere?

It’s interesting idea that MAC round melts in the atmosphere but does it really? I have to say I’m not adequate to give a comment about that.

But I don’t think the mac round melts or heats at all in the vacuum since there is no friction to convert it’s kinetic energy into heat.

> 2535408730995228;9:
> > 2533274805386380;8:
> > > 2535408730995228;7:
> > > > 2533274805386380;6:
> > > > > 2535408730995228;5:
> > > > > > 2535456575907503;4:
> > > > > > > 2535408730995228;3:
> > > > > > > > 2535456575907503;2:
> > > > > > > > Their ammunition is only described as slugs, so similar to a shotgun slug, maybe? It’s pretty similar to what a Gauss Cannon fires, but on a larger scale, so if you can find out what that looks like, there ya go.
> > > > > > >
> > > > > > > So now that what I feared could happen happend:
> > > > > > > A wrong/maybe missleading title and not reading of the OP resulted now in an answer that doesnt match the question.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > You asked what shape it would be, how is that not answering the question?
> > > > >
> > > > > In this case the word shape was used due an local oddity that allows you to replace "shape"with state.
> > > > > Its a mistake from my side,so the correct question would be:
> > > > > I want to know the material status of the slug,solid or molten iron cloud after it got fired in space.
> > > >
> > > > Its a solid slug. Like Sorge said, its a giant bullet akin to a Gauss cannon round, or a really, really, REALLY big battleship rounds (comparing it to shells from today’s navy).
> > >
> > > So in space the Ship got hit by an solid metalcylinder while in athmosphere it got hit by an molten metal cloud.
> > > So now two more questions:
> > > Is it possible to reach a velocity in space thats high enough to turn the round into a molten cloud or even plasma?
> > > If yes the velocity needed to lay in the higher percantages of lightspeed.
> >
> > I don’t think you’re fully understanding this.
> > Basically, it doesn’t matter what the MAC round flies through - atmosphere, space, Covenant ships, etc. Its a solid tungsten slug. I’m sure once it impacts an object it can shatter based its sheer velocity and power. As for it turning into a molten metal cloud? Not sure.
>
> I want to know if its possible that the Tungsten projectile turns into an fast movimg metal cloud,not the target

Ehh doubt it. I could be wrong, though.

> 2533274824409174;12:
> MAC rounds? In atmosphere?
>
> It’s interesting idea that MAC round melts in the atmosphere but does it really? I have to say I’m not adequate to give a comment about that.
>
> But I don’t think the mac round melts or heats at all in the vacuum since there is no friction to convert it’s kinetic energy into heat.

Railguns, Gauss rifles, and other weapons based on the same principles created with our current technology tend to cause the fired round to melt/ionize into plasma, from what I’ve seen, so I’m pretty sure the Magnetic Accelerator Cannons used by the UNSC would behave the same way in an atmosphere. In space, I’d assume the ferric-tungsten slug would retain its firing shape.

No, they do not turn into “fast moving clouds”. I don’t know where you got the impression that they would. We know this because one of the main reasons a MAC slug causes the damage it does is because it is extremely dense - like, ferric tungsten dense. Depleted uranium dense. A cloud, as we know, is the least dense form of matter. It would result in two things - firstly, the “slug” would dissipate before it could engage targets over the vastness of space and result in, instead of a single, highly-concentrated blast of kinetic energy, a comparatively minor “wind” over a much wider area which wouldn’t do too much. You may say it wouldn’t have time to dissipate because of the immense speed, but you need to remember the massive distances these engagements take place over. The width of continents, dude, probably more. Light speed isn’t that fast when you think about it, and the most powerful MAC guns only fire at 4% of that.

The second is that, for a MAC round to be heated to the point where it would become liquid or gaseous would take a fantastic amount of heat. This isn’t just any metal - this is Titanium-Alloy jacketed DU, my man. It boils at 4131 °C or ​7468 °F. I doubt that using what are in essence extremely large electromagnets to fire off a large metal slug would generate such a fantastic amount of energy in heat form that it would boil tungsten.

> 2535408730995228;11:
> > 2533274919463107;10:
> > Whoa whoa whoa. There isn’t just one single MAC round used. Just like various types of bullets and tank shells, there are various kinds of MAC rounds used for different situations. Like Armor piercing, explosive, and shredder like rounds. Just to name a few. Also, these rounds can be made of various materials, again used for different kinds of situations.
> >
> > There isn’t just one universal MAC round shape and configuration. Remember that all military hardware and software is used in mission specific scenarios when able.
> >
> > As for the shapes of these rounds, we don’t know yet. I assume at least that the AP round is shaped similarly to a sabot armor piercing round used by modern tanks. And the various materials used in various rounds would be carbon fiber reinforced tungsten, tungsten carbide, and depleted uranium. Also, I’d assume military scientists would also reinforce these materials similarly to Titanium as they do with Titanium-A and A3 armor.
>
> Assumingwe have a 600ton cylindrical tungsten round,would physic in space allow us to bring the round at such an high velocity that it would turn from an solid tungsten round into an molten tungsten cloud?
> In atmosphere it would be possible due the airresistance but in space no airresistance is existing.

The round would most definitely stay solid in space. There is no air resistance to heat it up through friction.

MACs aren’t generally used in atmosphere but I’m fairly certain they would stay solid under those conditions as well. Even if there is a possibility that they would vaporize in real life (which would amount to negligible damage to the target) I think it’s pretty safe to assume based on that one cutscene in Reach where they obliterate that Covie carrier in atmosphere that at the very least in the Halo universe they stay solid.

> The round would most definitely stay solid in space. There is no air resistance to heat it up through friction.
>
> MACs aren’t generally used in atmosphere but I’m fairly certain they would stay solid under those conditions as well. Even if there is a possibility that they would vaporize in real life (which would amount to negligible damage to the target) I think it’s pretty safe to assume based on that one cutscene in Reach where they obliterate that Covie carrier in atmosphere that at the very least in the Halo universe they stay solid.

That’s not the only time we see a MAC being used in atmosphere, technically. If we are including a mass driver round, then we have two more occurnaces of this happening: twice during the Battle of Harvest during First Contact when Mack fired at the Rapid Conversion with a mass driver, and several times when Noble Six used the Onager to defend the Pillar of Autumn.

Also, we must take into account the original intent of mass drivers when they were first created and what they’re still used for in present times: to launch debris or satellites and such up through the atmosphere from the surface into space without the need of rocket propelled technology. Thus at a cheaper cost.

Anyone who’s certain the MAC round would stay solid is ignoring induction effects. The MAC rounds are in a changing magnetic field when fired which will necessarily induce currents in the projectile, and when both the fields in question and their rates of change are huge (as they have to be in order to accelerate something heavy to significant fractions of the speed of light in microseconds), the induced currents will necessarily be huge. Unless the projectile is first cooled to a superconductive state, the resistance of the material will cause the electric current to dump enormous amounts of heat to the projectile.

To get a feel for the amount of heat into the projectile, take the kinetic energy of the round, consider the MAC to be really efficient (say, 99.99%), and observe how still an absolutely enormous amount of energy is released as heat in that remaining 0.01%. A rule of thumb when it comes to things where the energies are in the atomic bomb range is that everything gets completely obliterated, and your standard intuition doesn’t apply.

> 2533274919463107;17:
> > The round would most definitely stay solid in space. There is no air resistance to heat it up through friction.
> >
> > MACs aren’t generally used in atmosphere but I’m fairly certain they would stay solid under those conditions as well. Even if there is a possibility that they would vaporize in real life (which would amount to negligible damage to the target) I think it’s pretty safe to assume based on that one cutscene in Reach where they obliterate that Covie carrier in atmosphere that at the very least in the Halo universe they stay solid.
>
> That’s not the only time we see a MAC being used in atmosphere, technically. If we are including a mass driver round, then we have two more occurnaces of this happening: twice during the Battle of Harvest during First Contact when Mack fired at the Rapid Conversion with a mass driver, and several times when Noble Six used the Onager to defend the Pillar of Autumn.
>
> Also, we must take into account the original intent of mass drivers when they were first created and what they’re still used for in present times: to launch debris or satellites and such up through the atmosphere from the surface into space without the need of rocket propelled technology. Thus at a cheaper cost.

Dont forget the UNSC Grafton firing at Spire One (Jorge even says “MAC rounds? IN ATMOSPHERE!?” to which Carter notes that they should “hold onto your teeth people”), the three frigates Hood brings in to attack the Forerunner Dreadnought at the end of The Storm in Halo 3, and Infinity unleashing hers on Sangheilis (though I suppose that was from orbit to the ground but still).
MAC rounds are stupidly solid. They don’t vaporize in-flight.