Lunging

I wasn’t exactly sure if this was a bug or not but it’s pretty repetitive in any playlist, game mode, and map. This isn’t a critique of 343 because I’m sure they didn’t intend for this to be happening. So i’m sorry if this wasn’t under a specific thread but I thought it needed to be said.

The lunging in this game is pretty inconsistent as far as when I do or do not lunge forward when attempting a melee. I’m sure there’s a few factors to this flaw including connection, hit boxes, turn sensitivity, faulty bumpers, etc. But this isn’t just my issue, plenty of my friends and pro players I watch on twitch are suffering from it. To further explain the issue, when going in for a melee, typically when my enemy is highlighted by a red reticle and i’m sure I’ve meleed successfully from this distance, I will press the melee button (my right bumper) to finish off a kill or get them one shot. The problem is my Spartan won’t lunge forward and it’ll leave me defenseless for about one second, which obviously is pretty crucial time. Now I’m not some noob that is attempting a melee from 7 feet away when I have no business meleeing. I’ve played every Halo, I’m an onyx caliber player in h5, so I know when a melee should lunge forward. The really frustrating thing is when I go in for a melee in a 1v1 battle, the melee doesnt lunge, then the distance from me and the player GROWS and the opponent presses the melee button and lunges and hits me. I simply don’t understand how when I was closer my melee doesn’t connect but when he is further his melee connects. If there is anything 343 can do to fix this please try.

There’s a lot of “aim magnetize”, if that’s the right term, involved in melees. Could it be that the same aiming flaws (have you seen the recent aiming tests done by a player and posted in team beyond?) that affect shooting affect spartan charge and regular melee too?

I don’t know, but if this is the case they can’t fix it. Although, you are not alone, lunging is very inconsistent. It is actually very frustrating when you go for a melee and it doesn’t work but your opponent melees and hits you.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks this. I have no idea how it happens or how developers could fix it, but I agree 100%. It’s horribly inconsistent and it affects a players close range tactics. Really, it feels more like a gamble to attempt a melee these days. I’ve learned to back down while firing instead of pushing and closing with a melee and its been magical for me.

I know if you are “ADS” with the sword or hammer then they have increased lunge range just like how all the guns have increased range when ADS. It’s possibly that ADS with a gun also increases your lunge range, but I haven’t tested this.

Ive had the sword locked on and a swing and a miss no nothing just air so i dont use it scatter shot is broken for me also when you shoot someone in the face with it from 2 feet away and it just takes there shields down or 2 to 3 body shots and i get dbl meleed then get killed by the scatter shot from 3 times the distance in a single shot

The problem isnt inconsistency with lunges, its your inconsistency with being at the appropriate range to a lunge to occur.

i cant say specifically for REQ weapons, but default, base shooting weapons all have the same melee lunge range. The Sword and Hammer, both melee weapons, get an increase in lunge distance with ADS. Sword range by default is further than melee range for all default weapons if you use RT, and Hammer can lunge further unscoped if in a Spartan-chargable state if using RT. Both regular melees for these weapons has the same distance as the base shooting weapons.

The problem is you are playing the melee game too close to the max distance for a lunge. If you swing and melee air but the opponent “somehow can lunge but i cant,” then you were just outside melee range and when they melee’d it was just inside this max range.

Also Ive noticed a glitch thats consistent from Reach and H4, if you start sprinting, switch to Sword mid-sprint without stopping, and attempt to lunge with RT (fire weapon) while still sprinting, it wont lunge even with a red reticle. A regular melee swing will if you’re within default melee range though.

SOME REQ weapons DO have a further default melee lunge range from what Ive heard, especially the ones that have the Bayonet attachment.

Exhibit A:
Link
I’ll blame the trash servers.
Also, I don’t think the OP is talking about REQ weapons. Just general inconsistency.

This is why I think that going back to CE’s no melee lunge would be really good idea.

> 2533274808246214;1:
> I wasn’t exactly sure if this was a bug or not but it’s pretty repetitive in any playlist, game mode, and map. This isn’t a critique of 343 because I’m sure they didn’t intend for this to be happening. So i’m sorry if this wasn’t under a specific thread but I thought it needed to be said.
>
> The lunging in this game is pretty inconsistent as far as when I do or do not lunge forward when attempting a melee. I’m sure there’s a few factors to this flaw including connection, hit boxes, turn sensitivity, faulty bumpers, etc. But this isn’t just my issue, plenty of my friends and pro players I watch on twitch are suffering from it. To further explain the issue, when going in for a melee, typically when my enemy is highlighted by a red reticle and i’m sure I’ve meleed successfully from this distance, I will press the melee button (my right bumper) to finish off a kill or get them one shot. The problem is my Spartan won’t lunge forward and it’ll leave me defenseless for about one second, which obviously is pretty crucial time. Now I’m not some noob that is attempting a melee from 7 feet away when I have no business meleeing. I’ve played every Halo, I’m an onyx caliber player in h5, so I know when a melee should lunge forward. The really frustrating thing is when I go in for a melee in a 1v1 battle, the melee doesnt lunge, then the distance from me and the player GROWS and the opponent presses the melee button and lunges and hits me. I simply don’t understand how when I was closer my melee doesn’t connect but when he is further his melee connects. If there is anything 343 can do to fix this please try.

I have a suspicion you may be overlooking the obvious cause which is probably just latency. The person with the greater connection to the dedicated server tends to get a better picture of what is actually happening at any given point. Having played about 80% of my games against Americans/Mexicans on American servers I’m on the receiving end of ridiculous lunge melees all the time. On my screen, it makes the game look broken. On their screen it most probably just looks like I was next to them (assuming they actually had a low ping) and they’ve successfully beat me down. This doesn’t happen when I’m playing on local servers against other locals. The range and ridiculousness of the melee tends to amplify as the latency rises over 250 to 300ms. This is also why I tend to avoid close quarters situations.

The lunge tends to be the visual depiction of what is happening on screen finally catching up with what is happening on the server.