Luke Smith

In my humble opinion, 343i has the talent to make the greatest Halo game, ever. What Halo 5 is lacking, a leader who has their respective finger on the pulse of Halo nation. There is a simple formula Halo is known for: 1). Great Campaign 2). Competitive & Social Multiplayer 3). Forge.
Luke Smith understands this and would add something 343i’s Halo has been missing since they first started working on the series, PERSONALITY.

given the resources he would have at his disposal at 343i, I believe Smith would create the best Halo title yet.

I believe MS should do whatever they can to lure Luke Smith over from Bungie and make him head of 343 Industries.

Thoughts?

No… 343 is fine, maybe they need some more interaction sometimes but definitely not from the guy who told the guy that fans would buy anything they put out or something like that.

Buddy, wake up! It’s not about you or me anymore…It’s all about money, how to maximize profit with keeping costs down… If you think they care about campaign then you’re wrong… It’s all about that e-sport money now

I’d rather have Brian Reed as the writer than Luke Smith as director. Smith is overconfident in his Microtransactions and doesn’t mind people not being able to unlock everything because he is butthurt from his MMO experience years ago where he didn’t get an armor piece he wanted.

So in short, no.

In long, hell no.

> 2533274881560701;4:
> I’d rather have Brian Reed as the writer than Luke Smith as director. Smith is overconfident in his Microtransactions and doesn’t mind people not being able to unlock everything because he is butthurt from his MMO experience years ago where he didn’t get an armor piece he wanted.
>
> So in short, no.
>
> In long, hell no.

Wait a minute, just wait one minute.

Smith is over confident in Microtransactions? 343i’s Halo takes the cake over Bungies Desitny with respect to microtransactions. Buying emotes once in great while is one thing, being able to buy usable in game Reqs that can change the outcome of a game is another all together.

> 2535412280615383;5:
> > 2533274881560701;4:
> > I’d rather have Brian Reed as the writer than Luke Smith as director. Smith is overconfident in his Microtransactions and doesn’t mind people not being able to unlock everything because he is butthurt from his MMO experience years ago where he didn’t get an armor piece he wanted.
> >
> > So in short, no.
> >
> > In long, hell no.
>
>
> Wait a minute, just wait one minute.
>
> Smith is over confident in Microtransactions? 343i’s Halo takes the cake over Bungies Desitny with respect to microtransactions. Buying emotes once in great while is one thing, being able to buy usable In game Reqs daily, is another all together.

He believes that fans will shell out money to buy anything they put out and plus with his mentality, armor rolls would likely not be guarenteed, making the grind much longer than the system we have now.

I dont like people who snub long time veterans, shrug off currency differences between countries (ignoring it when asked as to why Destiny TTK was 60£ in Europe yet 60$ in America), believes in not being guaranteed to unlock everything, and is confident in people shelling out money for anything. Even expressing these beliefs in an interview that somewhat enflamed the Destiny community when released.

At least some of the team on 343 has heart as far as I can tell. They might need some fresh blood, but not Luke Smith from Bungie.

> 2533274881560701;6:
> > 2535412280615383;5:
> > > 2533274881560701;4:
> > > I’d rather have Brian Reed as the writer than Luke Smith as director. Smith is overconfident in his Microtransactions and doesn’t mind people not being able to unlock everything because he is butthurt from his MMO experience years ago where he didn’t get an armor piece he wanted.
> > >
> > > So in short, no.
> > >
> > > In long, hell no.
> >
> >
> > Wait a minute, just wait one minute.
> >
> > Smith is over confident in Microtransactions? 343i’s Halo takes the cake over Bungies Desitny with respect to microtransactions. Buying emotes once in great while is one thing, being able to buy usable In game Reqs daily, is another all together.
>
>
> He believes that fans will shell out money to buy anything they put out and plus with his mentality, armor rolls would likely not be guarenteed, making the grind much longer than the system we have now.
>
> I dont like people who snub long time veterans, shrug off currency differences between countries (ignoring it when asked as to why Destiny TTK was 60£ in Europe yet 60$ in America), believes in not being guaranteed to unlock everything, and is confident in people shelling out money for anything.

Yeah man. He did have a bad quote.

But wasn’t that at gamescom in Germany… We all have said something foolish, especially if suffering from jet lag and a lack of sleep.

> 2535412280615383;7:
> > 2533274881560701;6:
> > > 2535412280615383;5:
> > > > 2533274881560701;4:
> > > > I’d rather have Brian Reed as the writer than Luke Smith as director. Smith is overconfident in his Microtransactions and doesn’t mind people not being able to unlock everything because he is butthurt from his MMO experience years ago where he didn’t get an armor piece he wanted.
> > > >
> > > > So in short, no.
> > > >
> > > > In long, hell no.
> > >
> > >
> > > Wait a minute, just wait one minute.
> > >
> > > Smith is over confident in Microtransactions? 343i’s Halo takes the cake over Bungies Desitny with respect to microtransactions. Buying emotes once in great while is one thing, being able to buy usable In game Reqs daily, is another all together.
> >
> >
> > He believes that fans will shell out money to buy anything they put out and plus with his mentality, armor rolls would likely not be guarenteed, making the grind much longer than the system we have now.
> >
> > I dont like people who snub long time veterans, shrug off currency differences between countries (ignoring it when asked as to why Destiny TTK was 60£ in Europe yet 60$ in America), believes in not being guaranteed to unlock everything, and is confident in people shelling out money for anything.
>
>
> Yeah man. He did have a bad quote.
>
> But wasn’t that at gamescom in Germany… We all have said something foolish, especially if suffering from jet lag and a lack of sleep.

I’d rather the unlock system not get any worse. At least 343 has heart when it comes to Halo, as far as I can tell. Destiny is just penny pinching to try and get as much money for as little player reward as possible. 343’s updates, while mediocre, are free, which is admirable enough. ANDthe Microtransactions do Eventually result in full completion, while Destiny is based on RNG without guaranteed completion, making getting everything potentially impossible. I’d rather the Mark IV armor be locked behind “eventually” rather than ‘possibly never, or maybe tomorrow.’

If you don’t mind me asking, what are your points/reasons for wanting Luke Smith’s involvement specifically?

> 2533274881560701;8:
> > 2535412280615383;7:
> > > 2533274881560701;6:
> > > > 2535412280615383;5:
> > > > > 2533274881560701;4:
> > > > > I’d rather have Brian Reed as the writer than Luke Smith as director. Smith is overconfident in his Microtransactions and doesn’t mind people not being able to unlock everything because he is butthurt from his MMO experience years ago where he didn’t get an armor piece he wanted.
> > > > >
> > > > > So in short, no.
> > > > >
> > > > > In long, hell no.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Wait a minute, just wait one minute.
> > > >
> > > > Smith is over confident in Microtransactions? 343i’s Halo takes the cake over Bungies Desitny with respect to microtransactions. Buying emotes once in great while is one thing, being able to buy usable In game Reqs daily, is another all together.
> > >
> > >
> > > He believes that fans will shell out money to buy anything they put out and plus with his mentality, armor rolls would likely not be guarenteed, making the grind much longer than the system we have now.
> > >
> > > I dont like people who snub long time veterans, shrug off currency differences between countries (ignoring it when asked as to why Destiny TTK was 60£ in Europe yet 60$ in America), believes in not being guaranteed to unlock everything, and is confident in people shelling out money for anything.
> >
> >
> > Yeah man. He did have a bad quote.
> >
> > But wasn’t that at gamescom in Germany… We all have said something foolish, especially if suffering from jet lag and a lack of sleep.
>
>
> I’d rather the unlock system not get any worse. At least 343 has heart when it comes to Halo, as far as I can tell. Destiny is just penny pinching to try and get as much money for as little player reward as possible. 343’s updates, while mediocre, are free, which is admirable enough. ANDthe Microtransactions do Eventually result in full completion, while Destiny is based on RNG without guaranteed completion, making getting everything potentially impossible. I’d rather the Mark IV armor be locked behind “eventually” rather than ‘possibly never, or maybe tomorrow.’
>
> If you don’t mind me asking, what are your points/reasons for wanting Luke Smith’s involvement specifically?

:). I’m glad you asked, thank you.

I believe 343i is staffed by ultra talented people, I believe the problem with 343i’s Halo stems from a lack of leadership, or at least leadership that understands the wants and desires of Halo Nation.

Luke Smith came on board at Bungie during production of Halo 3 as a writer, he went on to develop ODST & Reach. Halo 3 had so much personality. Look at the grunts “he swells up when you taunt him… You killed poon flip, the flipiest Poon I ever knew”. ODST turned the Halo formula on its head and gave the player a taste of what it was like as a regular solider, and reach… Look at MP and the customization options for your Spartan.

I believe his insight & direction are the missing ingredients holding 343i’s Halo back from greatness.

> 2535412280615383;9:
> > 2533274881560701;8:
> > > 2535412280615383;7:
> > > > 2533274881560701;6:
> > > > > 2535412280615383;5:
> > > > > > 2533274881560701;4:
> > > > > > I’d rather have Brian Reed as the writer than Luke Smith as director. Smith is overconfident in his Microtransactions and doesn’t mind people not being able to unlock everything because he is butthurt from his MMO experience years ago where he didn’t get an armor piece he wanted.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > So in short, no.
> > > > > >
> > > > > > In long, hell no.
> > > > >
> > > > >
> > > > > Wait a minute, just wait one minute.
> > > > >
> > > > > Smith is over confident in Microtransactions? 343i’s Halo takes the cake over Bungies Desitny with respect to microtransactions. Buying emotes once in great while is one thing, being able to buy usable In game Reqs daily, is another all together.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > He believes that fans will shell out money to buy anything they put out and plus with his mentality, armor rolls would likely not be guarenteed, making the grind much longer than the system we have now.
> > > >
> > > > I dont like people who snub long time veterans, shrug off currency differences between countries (ignoring it when asked as to why Destiny TTK was 60£ in Europe yet 60$ in America), believes in not being guaranteed to unlock everything, and is confident in people shelling out money for anything.
> > >
> > >
> > > Yeah man. He did have a bad quote.
> > >
> > > But wasn’t that at gamescom in Germany… We all have said something foolish, especially if suffering from jet lag and a lack of sleep.
> >
> >
> > I’d rather the unlock system not get any worse. At least 343 has heart when it comes to Halo, as far as I can tell. Destiny is just penny pinching to try and get as much money for as little player reward as possible. 343’s updates, while mediocre, are free, which is admirable enough. ANDthe Microtransactions do Eventually result in full completion, while Destiny is based on RNG without guaranteed completion, making getting everything potentially impossible. I’d rather the Mark IV armor be locked behind “eventually” rather than ‘possibly never, or maybe tomorrow.’
> >
> > If you don’t mind me asking, what are your points/reasons for wanting Luke Smith’s involvement specifically?
>
>
> :). I’m glad you asked, thank you.
>
> I believe 343i is staffed by ultra talented people, I believe the problem with 343i’s Halo stems from the very top.
>
> Luke Smith came on board at Bungie during production of Halo 3 as a writer, he went on to develop ODST & Reach. Halo 3 had so much personality. Look at the grunts “he swells up when you taunt him… You killed poon flip, the flipiest Poon I ever knew”
>
> I believe his insight & direction are the missing ingredients holding 343i’s Halo back from greatness.

While I do like Luke Smith a writer, I don’t know if I approve of his gaming philosophies as far as being head honcho, if you see what I mean.

I don’t hate Luke, he seems like a cool guy, sit down have a soda and play Halo with. But his philosophies seem too punishing to the player for my taste. Plus I think some of 343’s problems doesn’t come from them, but from the publishers, Microsoft. Microsoft is the one that calls the shots, such as release and that kind of stuff. I don’t think even a new head of 343 could really fix all of the problems, especially with microsofts thumb over their heads.

That being said, I could see more potential for Luke as a writer. Brian Reed being the head writer leaves…some to be desired. If Luke wrote 3 and works on ODST, and Reach, I think that he did a pretty nice job then. If that’s the case, maybe I could see him as a writer, especially in Reed’s place. Just not the HEAD of 343i.

Sorry if my initial post or two seemed a bit strong or angry. I just disapprove of Luke Smith as a lead developer for his gaming and player reward philosophies. However, his experience as writer does seem promising. He might be bound to Bungie and Activision though. I enjoyed Halo 3’s humor and depth, as well as ODST and Reach. But with my experience of him, just in my opinion, I’d leave him as a writer in this era of DLCand Microtransactions. Just my two cents.

Luke Smith is not a popular man in the Destiny community. He said in an interview that when players saw the new emotes (priced at $2-$5 a pop), they’d “throw money at the screen.”

The funny thing is, everyone was so upset about that comment, at least until they saw the new emotes. Then a lot of people threw $15 to $20 at the screen every month for them.

> 2533274802898550;3:
> Buddy, wake up! It’s not about you or me anymore…It’s all about money, how to maximize profit with keeping costs down… If you think they care about campaign then you’re wrong… It’s all about that e-sport money now

And guess what? Best way to make money? Appease the fans and what they want. Every business knows that. It’s as simple as that. Plus, you forget that behind that big, scary corporation, there are individiuals. Many of whom, are real people with real emotions and real sentiment from real experiences as gamers and fans.

> 2535412280615383;1:
> In my humble opinion, 343i has the talent to make the greatest Halo game, ever. What Halo 5 is lacking, a leader who has their respective finger on the pulse of Halo nation. There is a simple formula Halo is known for: 1). Great Campaign 2). Competitive & Social Multiplayer 3). Forge.
> Luke Smith understands this and would add something 343i’s Halo has been missing since they first started working on the series, PERSONALITY.
> given the resources he would have at his disposal at 343i, I believe Smith would create the best Halo title yet.
> I believe MS should do whatever they can to lure Luke Smith over from Bungie and make him head of 343 Industries.
> Thoughts?

I’m sure any of us could do that. I’m only a sixteen year old, but I guarantee I could design a Halo game down to the UI that would be as good as Halo 3 with a nice, compelling story in a cinematic campaign experience, a wide variety of playlists and gametypes, and a beautiful UI and soundtrack.

So clearly, it isn’t a matter of 343 not knowing HOW to do it.

No way. Luke Smith was in love with armor lock and halo reach, but that game was the beginning of Halo’s fall from favor. I like Luke, but wouldn’t necessarily want him back on board with Halo.

343 needs to be more responsive as a whole but they have been getting better

<mark>This post has been edited by a moderator. Please do not bump.</mark>

> 2533274804182731;13:
> No way. Luke Smith was in love with armor lock and halo reach, but that game was the beginning of Halo’s fall from favor. I like Luke, but wouldn’t necessarily want him back on board with Halo.

Wait did he? To the Internet for reasearch

> 2535412280615383;1:
> In my humble opinion, 343i has the talent to make the greatest Halo game, ever. What Halo 5 is lacking, a leader who has their respective finger on the pulse of Halo nation. There is a simple formula Halo is known for: 1). Great Campaign 2). Competitive & Social Multiplayer 3). Forge.
> Luke Smith understands this and would add something 343i’s Halo has been missing since they first started working on the series, PERSONALITY.
>
> given the resources he would have at his disposal at 343i, I believe Smith would create the best Halo title yet.
>
> I believe MS should do whatever they can to lure Luke Smith over from Bungie and make him head of 343 Industries.
>
> Thoughts?

Yet another “All Hail Bungie” follower. I’m perfectly fine with where the game is going. All I ask is a much better and much more straightforward story in the next game.

How can I say this without offending anyone…

Halo will never be great again with Bonnie Ross,Josh Holmes & Frank O’Conner at the helm.

Josh and Frank can and should stay on, but with limited decision making authority. But Bonnie Ross has to go. Should MS keep her on for the development of Halo 6… I fear it’s release will be the official death of the Halo franchise all together.

The production studio behind Halo needs a new leader, and someone who better understands what Halo nation wants from its favorite game.

At the very least, MS needs to shake things up at 343i, doing some damage control to restore the communities confidence/trust in what 343i will do on a move forward basis.

Why would they? From a business standpoint, Halo 5 is a success. I mean despite all the complaints and constant 343i bashing, people still buy REQ packs in droves.

If you ain’t talking money I don’t want to talk
It’s all about the money my d00d

> 2661949065475413;18:
> Why would they? From a business standpoint, Halo 5 is a success. I mean despite all the complaints and constant 343i bashing, people still buy REQ packs in droves.

great point! It’s the catch 22 to end all catch 22’s