Low Population on Team Throwdown

Whats with it? In my opinion it feels a lot like Halo 3 and thats what people want right?

> Whats with it? In my opinion it feels a lot like Halo 3 and thats what people want right?

Not many people play it for the BR Starts and MLG Playstyle. I enjoy it but I play other things mainly.

There are some crucial elements missing from Team Throwdown that stop it from being enjoyable to me. The lack of a radar is probably the most notable thing in the playlist that I dislike the most. I’ve always hated the lack of radar in any Halo game, since it’s taking away a core element of Halo, and it happens to me far too many times that I’ll walk into a room filled with 2-3 enemies, and I get instantly destroyed.

Sure, you can argue that you’re supposed to communicate with teammeates and stick together to do well in a pro gametype, which is entirely true. However, most people these days don’t use their microphone in Halo 4, and trying to set up strategies with randoms is never easy.

That’s the reason I don’t play it, anyway. I’ve played Team Slayer in the Big Team Playlist, and I must admit, THAT was a great experience! If they could bring that to the regular Infinity Slayer playlist rather than just give us Slayer Pro, then I’d be happy.

Throwdown is full of the Pro-Ams and Pro’s now, well before this FFA tourney was announced. It’s hard for someone to just hop into throwdown, as you almost always run against teams. Throwdown is basically just the warm up for competitive halo these days.

I love the Throwdown settings but I’m not anywhere near good enough to run with the majority of the people playing it. After we got thumped 50-8 a couple times we stopped playing it. It one of those playlists where if you enter in with a full team like you should you get matched with a full team of pros or close to pros. I wish there was a basic Team Slayer playlist that is Throwdown with motion tracker. We don’t communicate good enough to play Throwdown. It’s fun to watch Ninja play though.

It’s incredibly hard.

With the newest weapon tune and forged maps this game plays a lot like halo 3 in team throwdown. very team oriented and competitive. my only suggestions is further polarize the team throwdown, decrease the auto aim and make the sniper harder to be proficient with. all this can be solved by adding in de-scoping when getting shot. (removal of sprint could be useful as well but eh… maps are huge) good teamwork nerfs sprint) the people still complaining about halo 4 are skilled but not overly skilled ie. between the noob and the HALO elite. they should be more play list specific to cater to multiple skill sets of people. for example throwdown caters to halos elite they should have a play list that caters to halos noobs where only certain skill levels can play and once you hit a certain level you are no longer allowed to play in that play list. it will fix the broken ranking system. specialize each playlist… problem solved.

> Whats with it? In my opinion it feels a lot like Halo 3 and thats what people want right?

Yes it’s the closest thing to Halo 3, but it’s labelled as a competitive playlist so less people will play it. This applies to pure ranked playlists as well, these days a social and relaxed environment is what most of us will enjoy while playing online.

If 343i is going to try and make a classic playlist, they should go all the way or not at all. This is a half-hearted, not really very good attempt at emulating good old classic gameplay. If they want to attract a higher audience for their “classic playlist” (which they don’t), they ought to actually listen to the fans and implement gameplay which is as identical to Halo 3’s as Halo 4 can get, with AR start and BR start gametypes. It’s not that difficult of a concept, but it seems to be for 343i.

halo 3 was no where near as casual as this game or reach… halo has been increasingly casual every since reach was introduced. so saying that people want a relaxed game despite the recent complaints i feel is inaccurate.

> If 343i is going to try and make a classic playlist, they should go all the way or not at all. This is a half-hearted, not really very good attempt at emulating good old classic gameplay. If they want to attract a higher audience for their “classic playlist” (which they don’t), they ought to actually listen to the fans and implement gameplay which is as identical to Halo 3’s as Halo 4 can get, with AR start and BR start gametypes. It’s not that difficult of a concept, but it seems to be for 343i.

Throwdown is in no way meant to be a classic playlist. It’s Halo 4’s competitive (MLG) playlist.

never has any one said please, give me ar starts… lol

Two things come to mind:

1. It’s not set up properly. Last I played Radar was missing, and that’s a non-starter for me. I’m sure there are other things that don’t exactly match up to Halo 3.
  2. Holding on to the past is a sure way to be disappointed, especially in the video game world. These things evolve. Shoehorning Halo 3 physics, models and weapons on top of a game which wasn’t designed that way at the foundation is almost always a guaranteed hot mess.

For me the main turn off is the lack of a motion tracker, I search alone most of the time so no radar is really not great in that regard.

I believe a major part of the problem lies with the addition of Pro game variants into several of the other playlists. I think the option to play a similar gametype setting in more populated and casual based playlists has pulled a significant portion of the players who might have considered playing the Team Throwdown playlist away from it.

1. Divisions in the Community
    Many competitive players want multiple fixed loadouts, DMR starts, or other various settings. Ghostayame only features his version in Throwdown.

2. Map Selection and Gametype Selection
    People aren’t satisfied with the current maps and the gametypes on them.

3. Slayer Pro
    Slayer Pro exists in a standard Infinity playlist, people would rather play there than fear getting matched up with quote-unquote ‘Tryhards’.

4. ProMod
    Many competitive players would rather play ProMod. Not going to go into further detail.

I think the biggest issue is that we don’t know what we want outside of wanting a game that makes them feel like H3 (or H2 . . . or CE) did when those populations were roaring. There are a few who actually do want a reskinned H3, but I don’t think that most of those who complain about H4 want that. They want the feeling and conclude that certain elements of H3 would bring it back.

So we all sit around and post about how this or that in H4 “ruined” the game. There is some truth to many of these complaints. POD, for example, changes gameplay in a very fundamental way that many players do not find enjoyable. If that were truly the whole of the reason, though, then we would expect Throwdown to have a much higher population. It doesn’t. Or that Pro in Infinity keeps Throwdown population low . . . but then why weren’t they in Throwdown before?

With H4, we have a game that just hasn’t satisfied us as past Halos did. We try to figure out why. We come up with reasons - stupid DMR; yah, that must be it - and watch them get implemented. Then we play, and find ourselves feeling better about the game, but something is still missing. Maybe it’s that fricken boltshot still. Yah, that must be it. Didn’t nerf it enough. Assault. Yah, let’s bring that back. That’s what’s missing. -Yoink!- sprint and flinch. Make them go away and I’ll have to change my shorts. Yah, that’s it. And so on.

And if we were to implement most of those things, we’d end up with a reskinned H3, which might be mildly more popular, but certainly wouldn’t recall the heady days of H3 in its prime. And then we’d complain that H4 is just a reskinned H3 . . . which most of us already agree we don’t want.

This isn’t meant to belittle any of the concerns, but it’s meant to illustrate a point: when it comes to games, few of us know exactly what we want. We might think we do, but we’re kidding ourselves. We have a general idea, but mostly we’re just trying to force reasons onto our dissatisfaction.

Figuring out what we want is the developer’s job. It’s a hard job, because it involves giving people something they can’t do without when they were perfectly happy before it existed. Think smartphone. Or iPad. Prior to Blackberry getting the smartphone revolution really going, what do you think people would have said would make a perfect phone? One that could watch Youtube? One that you could slingshot birds at cartoon pigs? One that you could turn into a metal detector? No - people would not have said any of those things.

That is why most games - and products - are unsuccessful.

What we should be hoping for is that 343i figures out how to create a Halo game that makes us feel like the past titles used to. We can give them pointers. We can tell them what we don’t want. But if we look at what we’ve told them we do want, the naive conclusion is that we really just want them to reskin H2 or H3.

Ultimately, for 343i to produce an H5 that garners the long-term population of H2 and H3, they will have to give us something that we didn’t even know we wanted. That’s a tall order.

Here’s to hoping they can fulfill it.

> 4. ProMod
> Many competitive players would rather play ProMod. Not going to go into further detail.

I just looked up ProMod on the Bungie forums. Interesting that the Evolved settings give universal thruster and no sprint.

> 1. Divisions in the Community
> Many competitive players want multiple fixed loadouts, DMR starts, or other various settings. Ghostayame only features his version in Throwdown.
>
> 2. Map Selection and Gametype Selection
> People aren’t satisfied with the current maps and the gametypes on them.
>
> 3. Slayer Pro
> Slayer Pro exists in a standard Infinity playlist, people would rather play there than fear getting matched up with quote-unquote ‘Tryhards’.
>
> 4. ProMod
> Many competitive players would rather play ProMod. Not going to go into further detail.

Couldn’t agree more.

I put this down to three things.

1. Team Throwdown doesn’t really give a 100% genuine classic Halo experience.

2. Somewhere around 90% of people who were playing Halo 4 online at launch, have stopped playing.
    It stands to reason that the people who have stayed, are more likely to be the people that do like Halo 4. Seeing as Halo 4 is Infinity by default, it makes perfect sense that those playlists would be a lot more popular.

3. Halo 4 has been designed from the ground up for Infinity settings and therefore does not provide a complete experience for those who play Team Throwdown.