Low Population Due to New Generation of Gamers?

I’ll start out by saying I grew up on Halo 2. That’s all my buddies and I played freshman year of college.

I noticed a change in the type of gamers out there after playing quite a few games and observing others. I feel like Halo is declining a bit in population because of these new gamers. I don’t think there are many competitive console gamers anymore - they moved to PC. It’s been replaced with loot-driven players.

I’ve had people tell me they go back to Destiny because they feel that the players playing Halo are high caliber - whereas these people say they can stay on top of the leaderboards in Destiny. That’s cool I guess. Since I’m a competitive guy - played tons of sports, this carries over to video games as well. I have yet to play a console game more competitive than Halo. I think the growing generation of gamers are little kids who like the loot type games where there isn’t really any purpose to a game other than getting rewarded for the massive amount of time that they play. I’d rather play a quick “pick-up” game than invest hours into a loot game where the reward isn’t as good as the feeling of whooping someone in a balanced environment is.

There’s nothing wrong with this new generation - it’s just an observation. Is it due to the fact that there aren’t many kids that play sports any more (the thing that drives competitive spirit)? It may be a reason why Halo is stagnant as far as population goes.

CE came out when I was 10 so I’ve invested a ton of time into the whole franchise. I think your assessment may be true in general, lower TTKs and the rise of COD clearly coincide. It could just be that the skill gap in 2/3 for example would not be desirable in order to market the game with this generation of games currently. Halo is also Xbox exclusive, which hampers general population right off the bat, yet this wasn’t an issue for sales 2-reach, even ODST sold over 6 million units. Really there could be a million of reasons we may never know to the fullest.

In the ADD fast paced realm of shooters, things will always switch on a dime now. It isn’t like say 10 yrs ago where you only had a few to choose from. So population will always dwindle after the new has worn off, and another game has caught the eye of the masses.

I agree with the OP

The population of console gamers is definitely changing. Much more diverse. Folks like easier games now. Call of Duty has always been incredibly accessible for the casual fan and that (plus Activision’s marketing budget) put that atop the FPS user charts routinely. Destiny is the most user friendly game I’ve seen, it does the hard stuff for you (aiming and acquiring power weapons/abilities) and asks only for your time (all of your time, specifically, yay loot!).

Halo just isn’t the type of game that’s going to have the greatest appeal on the market anymore. I think this iteration is the best yet (at least on the multiplayer side).

> 2533274873873545;3:
> In the ADD fast paced realm of shooters, things will always switch on a dime now. It isn’t like say 10 yrs ago where you only had a few to choose from. So population will always dwindle after the new has worn off, and another game has caught the eye of the masses.

Exactly

There’s variety, I’m playing Halo still just because I find the lore to be Rich and expansive. Well I did until they said Pizza skins were Canon…

Honestly I think that the drop in population is because of how balanced the game is, its one of the most balanced games I’ve ever played even outside halo and tons of people can’t get used to that they are used to broken games, unbalanced game, meta, they like guns that are easy to use and gives them an edge over average players. Since halo 5 you don’t get a meta, or the god gun people shy away from the game because it takes them time to learn how to be good with every gun since the game calls for that.

I don’t have any data but I would find it very hard to believe that less kids play sports today than in my youth… If anything kids are playing more sports in more structured environments (AAU and other organized sports) rather than pick-up games and what not like I used to as a kid.

Anyway… I think there are more options for gamers these days. Back on the original Xbox Halo was clearly the shooter to play. Once you got to the 360 and CoD, what started as a slow gravitation towards CoD became a boom once you got to the Modern Warfare games. And now, with the library of games being so large and diverse, you have regular FPS like CoD, Titanfall, Halo and now DOOM, not to mention the open world type shooters that are becoming more and more common like FarCry, Fallout 4, The Division, Destiny… There are just so many options for people and they each have their own flavor. I don’t find it too surprising that developers are having a tough time producing the next game-changing title.

> 2535405450804460;7:
> Honestly I think that the drop in population is because of how balanced the game is, its one of the most balanced games I’ve ever played even outside halo and tons of people can’t get used to that they are used to broken games, unbalanced game, meta, they like guns that are easy to use and gives them an edge over average players. Since halo 5 you don’t get a meta, or the god gun people shy away from the game because it takes them time to learn how to be good with every gun since the game calls for that.

I don’t believe its that, this game suffers from being over the top competitive in EVERY game mode. Infections here now, but the damage has been done and the only people left are hardcore Halo players.

There are many factors that go into population decreases for any given product. This may be one or it may not be one. We may never know, since we do not have much research or analysis on the population numbers. Tsassi has a fantastic analysis on the population trends as well. I would highly recommend reading the whole thing. The Halo Population Database

Please use the Official Halo 5 Population Thread for population discussions/comments.