Loss of features from Beta?

Okay, so here’s the E3(ish) version of the after-game score screen: Looky

…and the release version: Looky

Does anyone else think the release version looks cheaper? We lost the Infinity War Room background, the actual military ranks and symbols (where did they get “Spartan Rank” anyway? How do they tell who outranks who in this chicken sheet outfit?)

Why would they dumb it down like that? Performance concerns is the only thing that really comes to mind…

Wonder what else we lost from beta. Anyone with firsthand experience?

Another lost aspect was the Wheelman armor mod. Originally (as implied by the Specializations video trailer), Wheelman was supposed to make the vehicles you drive immune to EMP blasts, but with release this was changed to a shorter EMP time instead.

The end-game screen in your first link (from E3) was from the Xbox Smartglass demo video.

This is an actual endgame screen from E3 2012. It’s no different from the current one.

> Another lost aspect was the Wheelman armor mod. Originally (as implied by the Specializations video trailer), Wheelman was supposed to make the vehicles you drive immune to EMP blasts, but with release this was changed to a shorter EMP time instead.

Wheelman was never meant to prevent EMP entirely. From it’s first reveal via IGN, it was said that it would allow quicker recovery from an EMP blast.

> The end-game screen in your first link (from E3) was from the Xbox Smartglass demo video.
>
> This is an actual endgame screen from E3 2012. It’s no different from the current one.

Ah, my mistake. There are other little things though - in that same video you linked, just prior to the game ending, you can see the 4 little red indicators on the sniper rifle scope that indicated how many rounds you have left, which was removed in the final version.

> > The end-game screen in your first link (from E3) was from the Xbox Smartglass demo video.
> >
> > This is an actual endgame screen from E3 2012. It’s no different from the current one.
>
> Ah, my mistake. There are other little things though - in that same video you linked, just prior to the game ending, you can see the 4 little red indicators on the sniper rifle scope that indicated how many rounds you have left, which was removed in the final version.

The sniper rifle received a lot of visual changes prior to release (mainly due to fan complaints).

> > > The end-game screen in your first link (from E3) was from the Xbox Smartglass demo video.
> > >
> > > This is an actual endgame screen from E3 2012. It’s no different from the current one.
> >
> > Ah, my mistake. There are other little things though - in that same video you linked, just prior to the game ending, you can see the 4 little red indicators on the sniper rifle scope that indicated how many rounds you have left, which was removed in the final version.
>
> The sniper rifle received a lot of visual changes prior to release (mainly due to fan complaints).

Which is great as the original sniper in Halo 4 was horribly ugly.

I’d have preferred the Xbox Smartglass demo video background for the end match results

You are comparing a good quality screenshot to a bad quality screenshot. From other pre-release screen shots I’ve seen, the current UI looks better. Even though I dislike a lot of the UI. It varies too much from Halo 2, Halo 3, and Halo Reach…

Smart glass looks awesome and the actual military ranks are used with Halo 3s insignia. I don’t get why they’d replace them.

I liked the REAL ranks waaay more. I don’t get why they were removed.

Reach’s aesthetics were by far the best. I still think 4 looks better than 3. I visited 3 recently and it’s pretty fugly. The only thing 4 is the worst at is ranks. It is easily the worst out of all Halo games. Spartan rank makes me sick. especially cause i’ve been 130 for frikin ever. And it JUST came out. I played the crap out of Reach for years and still am at most 3/4 the way through the ranks.

> I liked the REAL ranks waaay more. I don’t get why they were removed.

Yeah, Halo sets us, the players, in a military unit. Military units use rank - traditional ranks. Even in campaign, the NPCs are referred to by and display traditional military ranks like the rest of the Halo games.

For us to suddenly just have SR ratings in multiplayer modes is totally incongruent and disjointed.

I think most will like the original because it’s different than what we are used to. It’s just like a demo/beta version of a multiplayer map that receives tweaks in the final version based off of feedback. Even though the current map was molded differently for the better everyone will like the old version because it’s different from what they’ve grown accustomed to or nostalgia reasons. I’m not saying you can’t like the old stuff. Just saying that a lot of it has to do with “can’t have it” mindset.

> > I liked the REAL ranks waaay more. I don’t get why they were removed.
>
> Yeah, Halo sets us, the players, in a military unit. Military units use rank - traditional ranks. Even in campaign, the NPCs are referred to by and display traditional military ranks like the rest of the Halo games.
>
> For us to suddenly just have SR ratings in multiplayer modes is totally incongruent and disjointed.

The Military does not use personal rail guns or travel the Galaxy in the UNSC Infinity.

The MP is framed as a wargame simulation within the UNSC Infinity. Therefore, you, as a Spartan IV, will not be getting promoted due to outstanding valor on the holodeck.

> Another lost aspect was the Wheelman armor mod. Originally (as implied by the Specializations video trailer), Wheelman was supposed to make the vehicles you drive immune to EMP blasts, but with release this was changed to a shorter EMP time instead.

Thank god, Scorpions, mantis’ and Gauss cannons are bad enough as is with the wheelman mod.

Negating EMP altogether would just be HORRIBLE.

> The Military does not use personal rail guns or travel the Galaxy in the UNSC Infinity.

They do in the Halo universe in 2557.

> The MP is framed as a wargame simulation within the UNSC Infinity. Therefore, you, as a Spartan IV, will not be getting promoted due to outstanding valor on the holodeck.

Good point. However, you recieved ranks for the previous’ games MP, and those were simulations/tactical exercises as well - or, if they weren’t, how do you explain Spartans fighting Spartans?

> > The Military does not use personal rail guns or travel the Galaxy in the UNSC Infinity.
>
> They do in the Halo universe in 2557.
>
>
>
> > The MP is framed as a wargame simulation within the UNSC Infinity. Therefore, you, as a Spartan IV, will not be getting promoted due to outstanding valor on the holodeck.
>
> Good point. However, you recieved ranks for the previous’ games MP, and those were simulations/tactical exercises as well - or, if they weren’t, how do you explain Spartans fighting Spartans?

Previous Halo games did not have Multiplayer lore.

How do you explain other Spartan fighting other Spartans? Simple. They wouldn’t.

Why? Because during the events of Halo 3, why would they be training Spartan II’s instead of having them in the fight? It’s just Multiplayer. Plain and simple.

> > > > The end-game screen in your first link (from E3) was from the Xbox Smartglass demo video.
> > > >
> > > > This is an actual endgame screen from E3 2012. It’s no different from the current one.
> > >
> > > Ah, my mistake. There are other little things though - in that same video you linked, just prior to the game ending, you can see the 4 little red indicators on the sniper rifle scope that indicated how many rounds you have left, which was removed in the final version.
> >
> > The sniper rifle received a lot of visual changes prior to release (mainly due to fan complaints).
>
> Which is great as the original sniper in Halo 4 was horribly ugly.

Not a fan of it, myself. The scope looks a little big.