Lose sprint, gain Halo

Players focus on the other AA’s which are so obviously game-changing. But I think the biggest game changer was sprint, the AA that most players have the least number of problems with. With sprint removed from Halo 4, the tension would return and with it, the thrill of Halo.

Sprint kills the patented tension of Halo:

Remember that feeling of a “well-executed kill” that Halo used to stand for? That no other shooter could ever bring you? You were locked into a battle with an opponent–there was no way out except to out-shoot. There was a tension there. Once you got close enough, you were committed. You had to kill or be killed. It was a gripping moment. What would happen?

We put the game into the disc tray to feel that tension, and to come out the winner in those fights. Today, of course, you can sprint away from that commitment. Which is a lose-lose for both players. Even if we’re the ones to sprint away, we lost a key battle moment that made Halo fights epic. Now, battles are much more manageable, and we lose the intensity of Halo.

Sprint discourages accuracy:

When Halo was a game with a fast, floaty, unified movement speed, you had a much bigger focus on accuracy. It was required. If you got close enough to an opponent, and couldn’t run away, your shot accuracy was everything.

Now, you’re running-stopping-running, aiming, sprinting away, turning, running-stopping, aiming … How much aiming is going on there vs. moving around? Like armor lock, the sprint AA is a big do-over for us, and it makes aiming less important.

Why do the hard work of aiming when you can run around, maybe catch the other player off-guard, then clean him up? A toned-down, vanilla victory.

Sprint encourages camping:

In Halo 3, if you camped you couldn’t easily get away with it, because a shot to your back could travel faster than you could. With Reach, you can stay in one place and if you’re found, you can sprint away pretty quickly, to where an AR can’t touch you.

Sprint was given for the right reasons, but is wrong:

“Every other good shooter has it.”
“It doesn’t hurt anything to keep it.”
“Halo was behind the times.”

Sure, we all wished at one point in Halo 3, “if only I could sprint …” I remember thinking it. But be careful what you wish for, because we got sprint, and gave up a lot of Halo feel to get it, stuff that we may not even notice, while we focus on the other, more obvious AA’s that were added to Reach. Hope we can put the genie back in the bottle for Halo 4. What do you think?

tl;dr
Having to move at the same speed as your opponent added to the locked-in nature of the game, a unique feature I think we lost by “getting with the times.”

Thats one of the problems I had with Reach, there seemed to always be a way to escape out of a fight… Rarely ever cornered.

the problems sprint causes are more than it fixes
Sprint makes sense in battlefield and COd where weapons are 1hk

but in halo it doesnt make any sense due to shields

fast movement speed>> sprint

> Thats one of the problems I had with Reach, there seemed to always be a way to escape out of a fight… Rarely ever cornered.

Thats why you had to camp with power weapons. Look at my KD. thats how I got it since that is what reach promotes.

Ok - I have a brilliant idea - lets just make Halo a game about shooting moving targets boards and not about shooting opponent - cause this is a FPS game this is all it should have :slight_smile:

All of this is opinion. In my version, sprint does nothing to hurt gameplay, it’s canonically correct and it’s useful for covering large areas. I expect it to be in Halo 4, and I’ll honestly be a little disappointed if its not. We can’t move backward in terms of gameplay.

It baffles me how people think that little things like the ability to sprint ruin Halo. Do these people know what Halo is? What is the core gameplay of Halo? Whatever it is, sprint doesn’t even touch core gameplay. It’s called being modern. Yes, Halo should remain true to what it is, but it has to keep up with the times too. ADS and customizable loadouts are things that Halo is not, so if these features are in then there is room to complain.

My last point, isn’t Halo kind of about running away? A lot of good players (good as in smart playing to get their 2.0 K/D, not camp) say to pick your fights. Don’t start fights you can’t win. Play smarter, not harder, as the saying goes. If you’re that desperate for a kill that you complain about the person who just sprinted around the corner across the map, then I feel bad for you. If your in CQC, then chase after them with your own sprinty-ness. If you turn the corner and see 4 people from the other team staring at you, use your wits and survival instincts to get away; don’t stay and fight a battle you can’t win to try to seem cool.

This is my opinion so please do not crucify me for beliefs.

I think with several tweaks in gameplay can make Sprint work with Halo. I for one enjoy using Sprint because I dislike having to walk for half an hour to reach any point in the map.

I think with quicker kills (like a 3sk dmr/br or a 13-16 shot AR) and reducing the Sprint speed (by a small fraction) it can work perfectly.

Also, if there are no AA’s in Halo 4 and their is only Sprint, add a cooldown time to all weapons (including melee weapons) after exiting sprint to balance it.

> All of this is opinion. In my version, sprint does nothing to hurt gameplay, it’s canonically correct and it’s useful for covering large areas. I expect it to be in Halo 4, and I’ll honestly be a little disappointed if its not. We can’t move backward in terms of gameplay.
>
> It baffles me how people think that little things like the ability to sprint ruin Halo. Do these people know what Halo is? What is the core gameplay of Halo? Whatever it is, sprint doesn’t even touch core gameplay. It’s called being modern. Yes, Halo should remain true to what it is, but it has to keep up with the times too. ADS and customizable loadouts are things that Halo is not, so if these features are in then there is room to complain.
>
> My last point, isn’t Halo kind of about running away? A lot of good players (good as in smart playing to get their 2.0 K/D, not camp) say to pick your fights. Don’t start fights you can’t win. Play smarter, not harder, as the saying goes. If you’re that desperate for a kill that you complain about the person who just sprinted around the corner across the map, then I feel bad for you. If your in CQC, then chase after them with your own sprinty-ness. If you turn the corner and see 4 people from the other team staring at you, use your wits and survival instincts to get away; don’t stay and fight a battle you can’t win to try to seem cool.

Don’t mistake my critique of sprint for a personal anger against it. I’ve benefitted from sprint, and I’ve been taken down by sprint. It’s not the point to me. What I’ve outlined here is a systemic issue and how it affects Halo’s core gameplay.

Another poster said it as well. Sprint and shields is total overkill, leading to long kill times, using your legs instead of your gun.

If sprint is a big part of Halo 4, I would finally move to a military shooter where there are no shields.